mtbr member
    Jul 2013

best fat bike strictly for sand riding? Pugsley, Moonlander, mukluk?

best fat bike strictly for sand riding? Pugsley, Moonlander, mukluk?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You can ride any of the three you mention on sand. I think the Moonlander would be the best choice for purely doing sand riding, due to the wider tires allowing more floatation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The M/L and Muk will take BFL's, so it comes down to personal preference. The Muk has different build levels, whereas the Surly has only one build. I like the Muk because the aluminium frame is better for corrosion resistance, but if you are careful, the steel frames work too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    i thought the pugsley also comes in aluminum?

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by beachroller View Post
    i thought the pugsley also comes in aluminum?
    All Surly bikes are steel.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    They must not hold up well at the ocean. Dont they rust?

Elitest thrill junkie
    They must not hold up well at the ocean. Dont they rust?
    Do you realize how many bearings and races your bike has that are made out of steel? Gears and chains? Bolts? And you're worried about the frame? If you are really worried, you can linseed oil the frame, but all that other stuff is much more likely to have problems IMO. Using grease and proper installation usually means it won't be an issue, especially if you wash it down every once and a while.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

=========
    Nice things to have on the beach

Belt Drive - IGH - Max Flotation - Tubeless - Braze-ons - Bags to carry everything

I ride a moonlander named Thparkle.
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ultimate "sand rail"? Ti Fatback; Clownshoes; BFL's(trimmed)

mtbr member
    The Moonlander is king on the beach as no other bike takes 100mm rims with 4.7" tyres yet as importantly has a decent drive chain line still with a 2x9 set up and in 1st gear still has a good half inch chain to tyre clearance. Even the black Ops Pugsley with its 85mm rims and MWOD cranks does not have as a good a drive chain line...

IGH in theory is a great set up with a single speed chainline etc... until you ride in salt water, they don`t like it!, I and a friend killed 8 spd Alfine hubs with immersing in salt water, Hope Pro 2 Hubs have proved fine in nearly 6 years riding, i use LX cassette wheels on rear mechs without bearings, one less part to seize up!

Bikes can be used reguarly in salt water, despite what critics say, you just need to prep them first. My Pugsley is nearly 6 years old and has nearly 10,000 miles on it and is on the UK North Sea coast week to week and often in hub deep sea water.

I find it hilarious that folk say aluminium bikes do not rust.. yeah they do not, they just corrode instead! and still need treated with frame proofing for coastal riding.
    Ever seen anything Aluminium washed up on the coast?, point made,
    Last edited by coastkid71; 07-08-2013 at 09:00 PM.
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    The Moonlander is king on the beach as no other bike takes 100mm rims with 4.7" tyres yet as importantly has a decent drive chain line still with a 2x9 set up and in 1st gear still has a good half inch chain to tyre clearance. Even the black Ops Pugsley with its 85mm rims and EWOD cranks does not have as a good a drive chain line...

IGH in theory is a great set up with a single speed chainline etc... until you ride in salt water, they don`t like it!, I and a friend killed 8 spd Alfine hubs with immersing in salt water, Hope Pro 2 Hubs have proved fine in nearly 6 years riding, i use LX cassette wheels on rear mechs without bearings, one less part to seize up!

Bikes can be used reguarly in salt water, despite what critics say, you just need to prep them first. My Pugsley is nearly 6 years old and has nearly 10,000 miles on it and is on the oast week to week and often in hub deep sea water.

I find it hilarious that folk say aluminium bikes do not rust.. yeah they do not, they just corrode instead! and still need treated with frame proofing for coastal riding.
    Ever seen anything Aluminium washed up on the coast?, point made,
    Listen to this guy - been doing it longer than anyone else!
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    +1 ^

CK...Ward...Vik...Mikesee...and others are all good people to listen to when it comes to beach riding.
    Just like Fat Bikes...the posters on here can go anywhere...and do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~ View Post
    Listen to this guy - been doing it longer than anyone else!
    Can you tell me how you prep the tires for salt water? I just bought a mukluk, more in my price range with bfl tires. I hope i can get through the sand!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Can you tell me how you prep the tires for salt water? I just bought a mukluk, more in my price range with bfl tires. I hope i can get through the sand!
    Lower the pressure. My experience has been with just a couple psi lower you will go from getting no where in soft conditions to able to handle anything. So unless you are riding on your rims try a little lower pressure until it "works"

And bring a pump to air them back up if you have to ride home on pavement

As for steel and Al corrosion what was said above is very true. Winters around here are nearly as bad as riding on the ocean. The road crews put layers of salt on the roads with every snow, and snow falls are very common.
    Steel frames have been the least of my worries. Make sure the BB housing is greased inside before installing the BB and make sure all the bosses have stainless screws with grease on them and the frame will be fine. It is the drive train, brakes and any metal (Al or steel) that does not have a coating that will corrode. And really I have more of a problem with moving parts wearing out from grit than actual corrosion. The salt used has a high percentage of other mineral particles. I would replace rim brake pads twice a season, single speed drive train every season and rims every 2 to 3 seasons. The frame has no problems 7 years in.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
    Steel frames have been the least of my worries. Make sure the BB housing is greased inside before installing the BB and make sure all the bosses have stainless screws with grease on them and the frame will be fine. It is the drive train, brakes and any metal (Al or steel) that does not have a coating that will corrode.
    He posted in another thread about buying complete, so don't think he is building... or has built yet.

I would either buy that used Moonlander you were talking about for $1900 (but ask them if they applied frame saver, helps protect it)... or your best bet will be to buy the new one from a shop, and then you will have the shop to help you out with all this, and maintenance. It's really not as bad as it sounds to maintain them... you can find do-it-yourself write-ups everywhere.

I'll also add though... Pugsley, Mukluk, Moonlander... we could argue about what is best (and have), but whatever you choose is still going to be good anywhere you want float and traction... each have their own little advantage. Biggest thing will be to get the air pressure as low as you can without bottoming out on the rim

Just Ride!
    If I had a choice between a Moonlander and a Pug back then I would pick the Moony but noooo... Got my Pug back in '06 and it's strictly for beach riding and I still love the thing. Rust? Well, I did prep the frame once when I got it and haven't touched it since. It did get some surface rust but that's easily remedied. I still have the same XT 756 hubs and same spokes/nipples. Drivetrain, that's a different story.
    If the bike gets drenched in seawater I hose it down when I get home and wipe down the spokes/nipples with and oily rag. Same with whatever nuts/bolts that were exposed.
    If you can get a Moony, get it. If not, a Pug or a Muk will be just fine.