mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Best destination for snow fat biking?

I wanted to go to Crested Butte, CO for the fat bike world championship, but I probably can't go. I'd really like to see the mountains and enjoy the snow. Where can I go that is fun and not too touristy? Where has the best snow right now? Or perhaps just share where you've tried and if you'd go again?
    Last edited by twodownzero; 01-08-2018 at 01:24 AM.

sluice box
    Anchroage
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    Anchroage
    Man that would be awesome! Too bad the drive is SO far!!

sluice box
    Hurley WI is nice and central.
    Last edited by Co-opski; 01-08-2018 at 03:46 PM.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I would love to go to Wisconsin (midwest is home for me), but Colorado is likely more do-able from here. Should I have made this in the Colorado forum? A number of mountain towns (Durango, Crested Butte, Leadville) advertise groomed trail fat biking. Should I consider others? Should I try to visit more than one?

Anchorage, AK
    Do a google image search for "knik glacier fat bike." There is nothing better. Period.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Do a google image search for "knik glacier fat bike." There is nothing better. Period.
    Yeah that'd be pretty epic, if it wasn't nearly 4,000 miles from where I live.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    You might get better responses if you said where your home base was and how far you were willing to drive. Otherwise we're just throwing darts blindfolded.

Anchorage, AK
    You'd be surprised how reasonable flights can be if you book them about 6 weeks in advance.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    You might get better responses if you said where your home base was and how far you were willing to drive. Otherwise we're just throwing darts blindfolded.
    I'm sorry; I didn't realize that it doesn't say that I live in New Mexico every time I post. It's in my profile but it doesn't display by default with the forum. I am originally from the midwest. In contrast, the states are huge out west and traveling more than 1-2 states away takes some serious vacation time.

That said, this is a forum, so it isn't just for me. If people have suggestions, the more, the merrier. I noticed that there's a lot of people who post pictures and such of them enjoying the mountains and snow; I'm hoping those people will stop by and leave a brief comment about their local trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    You'd be surprised how reasonable flights can be if you book them about 6 weeks in advance.
    I definitely plan to buy a pair of bike boxes soon so that would be more viable. When I travel and bike, I really enjoy riding my own bike, so that'd definitely be a requirement for me.

This place needs an enema
    I wanted to go to Crested Butte, CO for the fat bike world championship, but I probably can't go. I'd really like to see the mountains and enjoy the snow. Where can I go that is fun and not too touristy? Where has the best snow right now? Or perhaps just share where you've tried and if you'd go again?

The west just doesn't have much snow this year. Bozeman is probably the best bet in the Northern Rockies. In the southern Rockies, strange as this sounds, Moab currently has more snow than Durango or Crested Butte...

The upper midwest is having a fantastic winter if snow and crisp temps are your thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I know this might not be the sexiest choice, but just outside of Boulder, CO (45min) is Peaceful Valley, Brainard Lake, Sourdough trails by the Indian Peaks Wilderness area (Just south of rocky mountain national park). Take a look on mtbproject.com

It is currently riding excellent according to most (I haven't ridden yet). Its at around 10k, and is regularly packed in by snowshoers and xc skiers, and a 'team' of dedicated fatbikers. As a destination goes, the views and trails are amazing, then you could just hang out around estes park or boulder afterward.

But why not just go to CB whether you can make it to worlds or not? If you can drive up here from NM anyway, CB grooms gothic and the loops out of town are regularly maintained.

Ambassador of Chub
    Bozeman doesn't have much snow right now, and actually little in the way of winter riding opportunities other than taking your chances with open-country, off piste conditions, and a few snowmobile routes. I was surprised, talking to some friends recently who live there, how little they have access to for winter biking, given what and avid bike community exists there.

Teton Valley/Jackson Hole currently has way more snow (some the most snow in the West right now), and lots of varied opportunities from groomed singletrack (in mountain terrain) to lots of snowmo routes open to bikes and all the ungroomed pow you wanna walk your bike through...
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    I know this might not be the sexiest choice, but just outside of Boulder, CO (45min) is Peaceful Valley, Brainard Lake, Sourdough trails .

I was under the impression that the whole front range was warm and sunny right now. Still good snow at Sourdough?

Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Bozeman doesn't have much snow right now, and actually little in the way of winter riding opportunities other than taking your chances with open-country, off piste conditions, and a few snowmobile routes. I was surprised, talking to some friends recently who live there, how little they have access to for winter biking, given what and avid bike community exists there.

Teton Valley/Jackson Hole currently has way more snow (some the most snow in the West right now), and lots of varied opportunities from groomed singletrack (in mountain terrain) to lots of snowmo routes open to bikes and all the ungroomed pow you wanna walk your bike through...

I haven't ridden Bozeman so I won't differ with you, other than to say that friends whim live/ride there have been sending pics from some amazing looking places, and there's certainly been no shortage of snow in their pics. If I didn't know they were doing day rides and somewhat averse to long drives on slick roads, I'd think maybe they were traveling further afield to find these stashes.

Good to hear you guys are having a real winter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I was under the impression that the whole front range was warm and sunny right now. Still good snow at Sourdough?
    It is warm and sunny, but about 2 weeks ago we got about 20-30 inches (in the Roosevelt and RMNP). Then another 4-6 this past weekend and another 6-12 this coming weekend starting today (fingers crossed). This set up the base in the trees around brainard, ward, etc.

The storm cycle looks to be changing quite a bit for this month, and we should get back to reasonable levels.

EDIT: Sourdough is still hurting for some new snow.
    Last edited by pOrk; 01-10-2018 at 09:54 AM.

beater
    Most Bozos I know have been fatbiking on a new trail system at Three Forks. Smithhammer is right- the fatbike scene in Bozeman is pretty limited in comparison with other places, or even the summer riding there. The last travel plan was done a couple years before fatbikes became mainstream, and the majority of USFS trails there are closed to wheeled travel in winter.

The Teton Valley fatbike scene is pretty awesome.

Ambassador of Chub
    I haven't ridden Bozeman so I won't differ with you, other than to say that friends whim live/ride there have been sending pics from some amazing looking places, and there's certainly been no shortage of snow in their pics. If I didn't know they were doing day rides and somewhat averse to long drives on slick roads, I'd think maybe they were traveling further afield to find these stashes.
    That's good to hear - hopefully the fat riding situation is improving there. Glad to hear they are getting snow as well - they're about 1000' lower than us, so sometimes they get lots of snow around town, and sometimes not so much.

Good to hear you guys are having a real winter.
    Well, it's been a weird winter, just like everywhere else. It #$%&ing rained all day yesterday, turning everything to hell and shooting the avy danger through the roof. We definitely have less snow than normal for January, but it still sounds like more than most other places. All in all, can't complain - it's been a really good winter for fat biking, not so much for skiing. I have never had so many of my hardcore ski friends ask me, "so, what kind of fat bike should I get?" Haha....
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    You want snow? Québec city in Canada.

The best place around that I found is lac delage: https://e47.ca/

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I may be going up to Colorado January 19-21.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    This was Peaceful Valley / Buchanan Pass outside of Boulder yesterday afternoon with more light snow expected next week. Sourdough which connects is currently getting packed in as well. I did 7 (3.5 out and back) yesterday on this with about 1000’ of climb. Was perfect. By next week there will be even more packed in trail.

Best destination for snow fat biking?-4f370d1d-2880-46de-ac22-06aadbcf681e.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I’ve also heard Leadville is riding really good right now. Looks like a storm is coming Friday-Saturday. Predictions are currently 5-10”. So you will have to do some homework to determine which is getting regular use that weekend and when the storm is actually going to hit. I use nearby resort cams to see when the snow is falling when I can.

Winter Park local xc trails are riding good now as well. And there are nordic centers that have groomed trails right down the road from there. Lots of options, but Id go to CB if I were coming from the south.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    I’ve also heard Leadville is riding really good right now. Looks like a storm is coming Friday-Saturday. Predictions are currently 5-10”. So you will have to do some homework to determine which is getting regular use that weekend and when the storm is actually going to hit. I use nearby resort cams to see when the snow is falling when I can.

Winter Park local xc trails are riding good now as well. And there are nordic centers that have groomed trails right down the road from there. Lots of options, but Id go to CB if I were coming from the south.
    I really appreciate the response.

It's looking harder and harder for us to swing the $$$ right now to get up there. I'm hoping there's still snow in later Feburary. The lodging up in these ski towns is pretty crazy. It's an itch that I have to scratch, so I will eventually.

Elitest thrill junkie

It's looking harder and harder for us to swing the $$$ right now to get up there. I'm hoping there's still snow in later Feburary. The lodging up in these ski towns is pretty crazy. It's an itch that I have to scratch, so I will eventually.
    February-March, even April in most places, are better for snow than December-January. Even though the days are getting longer, it hasn't yet passed the threshold where there is enough daylight to provide net warming vs. net cooling, so that's usually where you get the most/biggest storms. Likewise, you don't hit the hottest summer temps a few months past Summer solstice, because it's still heating up at that point and it takes a few months before you reach the point where day is short enough to cause a net loss in the solar radiation.

Where it gets real odd is here in Alaska when you do get into April things melt way fast, much faster than down in the Rockies, because we get the sunlight going to around 11pm already in late April, so it tends to clear out much faster, but the terrain remains water-logged for a while.

So I think you'd be fine and most likely in better shape.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Carrabassett Valley in Maine near Sugarloaf ski area- has a wonderfully groomed trail system.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

You ain't kidding on lodging costs. We use groupon quite a bit. Elevations at CB always has groupon deals going on it seems as well as other towns.