Just hit it with speed

Best cheap 135mm front hub for Vicious GFS Offset

I have in my possession a GFS rim that I am preparing for a Puglsey (still need to purchase). For a front wheel mainly.

What hub would everyone suggest?

I'm fine with running a SS specific front hub, but must be disc.

I played with a spoke calculator and I think I may have found the best one, DMR Revolver Single Speed 135mm hub.

With the offset GFS and the dishless hub of the SS, I get 100/72%. Did I do the math right on that? Is there anything better thats in a similar price range ~$65.00 shipped?
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    I've had the Surly New Hub SS Disc on the front of mine for 2 winters and its still solid. Several friends have it as well on Handspun wheels and they are rolling smooth.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by GFisher2001 View Post
    ....Is there anything better thats in a similar price range ~$65.00 shipped?
    A Shimano 525 will give more balanced spoke tension and cost half the price. It can run SS with some spacers.

Just hit it with speed
    Good call.

Have the dimensions changed for this hub from model year to model year?

What about a Deore 590 rear hub? Or an XT 756?
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have in my possession a GFS rim that I am preparing for a Puglsey (still need to purchase). For a front wheel mainly.

What hub would everyone suggest?

I'm fine with running a SS specific front hub, but must be disc.

I played with a spoke calculator and I think I may have found the best one, DMR Revolver Single Speed 135mm hub.

With the offset GFS and the dishless hub of the SS, I get 100/72%. Did I do the math right on that? Is there anything better thats in a similar price range ~$65.00 shipped?
    You did the math, it's off b/c it's the wrong hub for the job.

The revolver is for a non-offset front fork, which is used with a centred non-offset rim.

The surly standard fork uses a regular rear hub, a basic shimano will give great performance and is easily rebuildable.

Surly also sells non-offset forks, is you are doing a frame build...get one of those and then use the revolver. I have a revolver and it looks and feels very solid.

If you want to save money, don't bother trying to build the bike yourself unless you can get everything used and do it yourself - you likely won't save money - I didn't.

Frt Range, CO
    Have the dimensions changed for this hub from model year to model year?
    I'm not sure but the dimensions of any hub are easy to measure with a set of $15 Harbor Freight calipers. The biggest effect on spoke length is hub flange diameter, the side-to-side differences in hub flange position doesn't effect the spoke length very much.

What about a Deore 590 rear hub? Or an XT 756?
    Any 135mm 8/9/10 freehub/disc will have good characteristics for an offset fat rim with well balanced tension side-to-side. The Shimano loose ball/cone hubs are my favorite because I can service them easily and solid bolt-on axles are cheap and easy to find.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post

Any 135mm 8/9/10 freehub/disc will have good characteristics for an offset fat rim with well balanced tension side-to-side. The Shimano loose ball/cone hubs are my favorite because I can service them easily and solid bolt-on axles are cheap and easy to find.
    Exactly. Simple. Cheap. Easily serviceable.
    Builds an offset wheel with equal length spokes and equal tension