Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    A Surly Maverick
    Have a look here it may give you some ideas

chainstay | Buy Now at ChainReactionCycles.com
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member

Best chainstay protection?

I'm just about to pick up my new Moonlander and I was wondering what's the best chainstay protector to get to avoid chain damage to the paint on the chain stay and also keep it quiet in the rough.

DJ

I married a witch.
    I did the inner tube mod. I cut a section of an old tube, and used 4 zip ties to hold it in place. I've only been on one ride with it, but it seems to be holding up well enough...

A picture from that ride...

Be respectful to the disrespectful, wise to the unwise, caring to the uncaring, courteous to the uncourteous.
    My Riding Blog

Fat & Single
    I got a clear gel "stick on" one for my MukLuk, so far so good but time will tell. It definately adds to the look regardless.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    There are loads of options that all work to protect the chainstay. The main difference between the DIY/free options [inner tube/electrical tape] and the ones you buy [lizard skins] is just how they look and the price.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I use an inner tube on all my MTB- I wrap it like bar tape and secure the end with some electrical tape. Works great

Rednose/Greenback
    Kind of partial to this one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best chainstay protection?-fatback-chainstay.jpg  

38 54' -77 15

mtbr member
    Here's a better way of using an old innertube.

I usually start at the drop-out end and end with a couple of zip-ties behind the chainrings. Just wrap it nice and tight and it'll keep all water and grit/sand/mud out.

The problem with those velcro-closed ones is that they get very contaminated underneath, so if you are using one, take it off frequently for cleaning.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The Lizard Skins are nice cuz they're easy to install/remove when needed.

addicted to chunk
    I just used some orange electrical tape. Keeps the paint from getting chipped up, def does not help with the noise though.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    For a very tough chainstay protector use a piece of a folding road bike tire cut to length. Cut holes every inch or so on each side and weave paracord or something similar through it like you would lace up a boot. Looks tough and I bet it'll last quite a while.

I married a witch.
    I like that idea SS.

I wonder if a hole punch would be tough enough to do the job...
    Be respectful to the disrespectful, wise to the unwise, caring to the uncaring, courteous to the uncourteous.
    My Riding Blog

CAMBA Creature.
    At my favorite FatBike bike shop, they were cutting up an old Endomorph and zipping it to the stay. Might be too heavy for weight weenies, but it sure looks cool!
    eSpeCially CrAzy IrRegular TrailBuildin' Crew
    Chequama Mama

MTB: Mukluk/Moonlander/Super V-1.

mtbr member
    On a related note... chainstay protectors, why? Not meaning to be argumentative, just genuinely curious. I've never noticed any excessive wear in that area on my bikes in the past (before they became so prevalent) and even if there are scratches and stuff there... I guess that doesn't really bother me, I get that all over my mountain bikes anyway.

Do some just like the look?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Mister Tuffy wrap

Self vulcanizing tape.

Tons of Examples here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post
    On a related note... chainstay protectors, why? Not meaning to be argumentative, just genuinely curious. I've never noticed any excessive wear in that area on my bikes in the past (before they became so prevalent) and even if there are scratches and stuff there... I guess that doesn't really bother me, I get that all over my mountain bikes anyway.

Do some just like the look?
    I'd say there is a lot to it. It's all personal preference. Some may like the look of a chainstay protector, some may not. Some may like the look of a beat up, used bike with lots of character...some may not. One thing I can say is that a bike will sell much easier with a spotless driveside chainstay, so some may be preserving what they can in hopes of getting a higher resale value. The amount of wear from chainslap also determines if the rider wants to protect their frame or not. Someone who rides a lot and rides on very rough terrain may choose to protect their frame over others. I do not have any chainstay protection on my singlespeed because, well, my singlespeed chain never touches the frame. However, on my Stumpjumper FSR I have a chainstay protector, but it is the stock one. I would probably put one on even if it didn't come with one just because it is quieter. The chain on rubber contact is quieter than chain on frame. I think it all boils down to just plain ol' personal preference really.

mtbr member
    I had a MTB that didn't have a chainstay protector on it and the driveside chainstay took a beating. A lot of paint was removed and it looked heinous. The damage wasn't structural, but I didn't like looking at it so I've used chainstay protectors on my bikes since then.

If you have a delicate frame [carbon fiber] the damage could result in some serious problems. Otherwise it's just aesthetic. So in most cases it's only a problem it you care about a chipped/beat up chainstay.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sometimes the weight weenies won't run them for the obvious concern...weight. But they don't really count anyway

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I'd say there is a lot to it. It's all personal preference. Some may like the look of a chainstay protector, some may not. Some may like the look of a beat up, used bike with lots of character...some may not. One thing I can say is that a bike will sell much easier with a spotless driveside chainstay, so some may be preserving what they can in hopes of getting a higher resale value. The amount of wear from chainslap also determines if the rider wants to protect their frame or not. Someone who rides a lot and rides on very rough terrain may choose to protect their frame over others. I do not have any chainstay protection on my singlespeed because, well, my singlespeed chain never touches the frame. However, on my Stumpjumper FSR I have a chainstay protector, but it is the stock one. I would probably put one on even if it didn't come with one just because it is quieter. The chain on rubber contact is quieter than chain on frame. I think it all boils down to just plain ol' personal preference really.
    Got it, makes sense.

mtbr member
    Just my .02

mtbr member
    I use the free neoprane one that came in the wrapper with a Bike mag. Works like a champ
    Current Ride:2012 BAMF Full Nelson

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Possible to just use some electrical tape and hockey tape? I'm a noobie looking to protect ;d

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    A new one on my blue 9zero7, double safety wire next to the bottom bracket shell since zip ties are not that long lasting

mtbr member
    Or go Singlespeed.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't suggest electrical tape because its not very thick/protective and you'll never get all of that sticky residue off your frame. Same with hockey tape, it's just a bit thicker than electrical tape.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast