Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post
    On a related note... chainstay protectors, why? Not meaning to be argumentative, just genuinely curious. I've never noticed any excessive wear in that area on my bikes in the past (before they became so prevalent) and even if there are scratches and stuff there... I guess that doesn't really bother me, I get that all over my mountain bikes anyway.

Do some just like the look?
    Wow, in New England, even road bike chainstays take a beating in a short time.
    My shop did a nice tube chainstay wrap on the fatbike with an old tube, but it got all weird and fuzzy. I can't be sure, but it seemed like this was after beach (saltwater) riding, I think it still looked pretty good after snowriding season, even with some salted road sections. I got another neoprene/velcro one, and so far, so good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I wouldn't suggest electrical tape because its not very thick/protective and you'll never get all of that sticky residue off your frame. Same with hockey tape, it's just a bit thicker than electrical tape.
    i like using 3M Mastik 2200 series tape. thick protective and sticks to itself and anything you wrap.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    The Lizard Skins are nice cuz they're easy to install/remove when needed.
    +1 I like them too. I know there are bunch of really good DIY solutions but sometimes I just want someone else to just do it for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    +1 for the self vulcanising tape or as we call it self-emulsifying tape. Nice and thick, bonds well and no residue when you eventually remove it.

mtbr member
    I use the 1" loop material from velcro that has the adhesive backing.

mtbr member
    Best protection is singlespeed or hubgear.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    I do the innertube mod on all my bikes. I use electrical tape at each end of the wrap. works like a charm.

mtbr member
    shoo goo
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    +1 on the tube and electrical tape. I do it on both sides so when big rocks flip up and bash it it's protected. I've had it happen a couple times and I think to myself I'm glad I did it. Been on for 6 months and through a lot and is still holding up just fine.

The velcro ones get loose, full of sand, mud and debris and grinds around in there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm probably going to buy some self-vulcanizing tape by 3M. It's like $5.47 with prime on amazon. Even one of the reviews on it said that's what they were using it for and that it can do up to 3 bikes. That happens to be perfect, because me, my sister and my dad are all planning on getting new bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHeartwoodStudio View Post
    I'm probably going to buy some self-vulcanizing tape by 3M. It's like $5.47 with prime on amazon. Even one of the reviews on it said that's what they were using it for and that it can do up to 3 bikes. That happens to be perfect, because me, my sister and my dad are all planning on getting new bikes.
    The Vulcanize tape works really well, specially with complex shapes since is very flexible & stretchy, but is not as strong as the tuffy's (in case chainsuck happens)

Ps congratulations on the new bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks! I've ordered the Motobecane 450HT white (plan to upgrade parts on it later on), and the black vulcanizing tape will look nice on it. I think my sister is planning on getting a Diamondback (white aswell). They'll get dirty quickly I'm sure, but hey thats half the fun.

mtbr member
    lizard skins also works great. i have it on my wifes trek bike
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

mtbr member
    I use Lizard Skins and like them.
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    Wanting a Cross Bike.
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

pro-tecto

Mine will not work on complex shapes, it will not work on big tubes but it works great on Fatbacks. I have always like to repurpose things and in this case old road tubulars work well on smaller diameter frames and Cyclocross tubulars work good on some fatter frames.

Chain_Stay_Pro-tecto

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Scotch 2228 Moisture Sealing (Self amalgamating) electrical tape is usually available at Lowes and Home Depot. MBA did an article, cut and paste this and delete the extra spaces (I'm too new to be able to post links yet).

http : // www . mbaction . com/Main/News/Tech_Tip_Silencing_Your_Ride_5043.aspx]Tech Tip: Silencing Your Ride | News | mountain-bike-action

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    just as good as singlespeed is Sram Type 2. and to a lesser extent, Shimano Shadow Plus. seriously, i don't know why there aren't any clutch deraileurs on here ever

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Best I've seen so far is heat shrink tubing. Looks super pro, and is cheap. $15 for ~3 applications.

http://www.amazon.com/Install-Bay-He...d_sim_indust_5

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Best I've seen so far is heat shrink tubing. Looks super pro, and is cheap. $15 for ~3 applications.

Amazon.com: Install Bay Heat Shrink 1 Inch x 4 Foot: Car Electronics
    I think your are missing the most important part, how to "Stick it" into the chainstay passing by the drop outs

And even then the thickness of the material varies if you have anything different than round/oval tubes, anything with corners like a square tube will have very little material at the edge of the corner and more on the flat parts making it weaker..

Chamois Dropper
    Like some others have said, I like the 2228 tape.
    1 in. x 10 ft. 2228 Rubber Mastic Electrical Tape-50727-BA-5 at The Home Depot
    As I recall it comes in a shorter roll for about 5 bucks or so. I don't care for the Velcro type, they trap so much dirt underneath,and it grinds on the chainstay.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    I think your are missing the most important part, how to "Stick it" into the chainstay passing by the drop outs

And even then the thickness of the material varies if you have anything different than round/oval tubes, anything with corners like a square tube will have very little material at the edge of the corner and more on the flat parts making it weaker..
    Oh I forgot, my bikes have the Split Pivot/APB setup so that's why it works.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Oh I forgot, my bikes have the Split Pivot/APB setup so that's why it works.
    Cool show us pictures I want to see..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Actually if you want to go really extreme how about a "Thermoform" guard (not thermoset-aka epoxi resin, etc)

A little history, the "seat stays" on my Nicolai M-pire keep touching my hells (very wide 165mm rear end) so I decide to make some really tough guards for them.

Notice the 3mm 3M material on the left chainstay.

Sorry I don't have better pictures and/or details.

I only have a few pieces of this awesome material left, if not I will have it in most of my frames.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Cut up an old knobby mtn bike tire, wrap it, and use zip ties to hold it in place. Looks pretty cool in the end.

Dirt Huffer
    Strip of raw hide.

They sell raw hide by the pound at Axe Man (CHEAP)

Use scissors to cut them accordantly. wipsh!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast