Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best bang-for-the-buck upgrade?

5K views 50 replies 26 participants last post by  Leopold Porkstacker 
#1 ·
Say you've got 3-500 bucks to spend on upgrades for a pugsley. Say you've already replaced everything but the front derailleur, the wheels and tires, and the fork.

Do you go with better/lighter tires? Never had a problem with the stock tires, but some of the new tire options do look pretty sweet...

Lighter wheels/rims? A set of Marge lites would be pretty nice.

Carver O'beast fork? Because carbon.

Or is there something I've missed?

Drivetrain is pretty much where I want it, bars, shifters, brake levers, saddle, post, etc, all good. Thought about upgrading to hydraulic brakes but can't see any major benefit.

#51 ·
For me, the confidence is placed in the 6mm deep tread lugs of the Nates, as I am usually hitting the off-camber loose/gravelly stuff at speed and rely on the tires (especially the front) hooking up. Having not tried the Knards, I have no way to compare them to the Nates in the same conditions. My only comparison fatbike-wise would be the Larrys, of which there simply is no comparison. I'd love to be able to try out the Bud/Lou combo, but they won't fit on my current setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.