Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 51
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vmaxx4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    what came stock and what was the replacement?
    Shimano HG-50 9-Speed 11-34T is what Salsa lists it at. I think it is about 450 g. I put on a Sram PG 990 which is about 300 g. Close to 1/2 pound I guess. Sure feels like a lot more when your holding them. Still for $55 dollars a good weight savings.
    2010 Intense Spider 2
    2010 Ibis Tranny SS
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2013 Trek Domane 5.2
    2014 Hakkalugi

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,279
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaxx4 View Post
    Shimano HG-50 9-Speed 11-34T is what Salsa lists it at. I think it is about 450 g. I put on a Sram PG 990 which is about 300 G. Close to 1/2 pound I guess. Sure feels like a lot more when your holding them. Still for $55 dollars a good weight savings.
    yup thats a worthy change.

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by smthgfshy View Post
    the best bang for buck weight savings if I had $500.....and your bike...

    #1 - buy carver fork ($300) sell old fork ($50) = 250
    #2 - sell old rims ($100) buy marge lites ($300) = 50
    #3 - buy ashima rotors ($50) = 0
    How do you get a pair of marge lites laced for $300

    I am on the same quest.. Just bought new platform pedals.. 350g for the new pair to replace my old 520g pair of pedals

  4. #29
    addicted to chunk
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,908
    $ for $, best upgrade for me was switching to husker dus from Larry endo combo. Next was squishy forth.
    Riding.....

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    857
    120TPI Husker Dus, tubeless.
    With rims if you can swing it--Marge Lites or Holy Rolling Darryls.

  6. #31
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,770
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    How do you get a pair of marge lites laced for $300
    You probably wont if you get other people to build your wheels unless you call in a favour with a mate.

    I would say going by comments on other threads theres quite a few of us here build our own wheels. That costs a few hours of your time but zero $$ and = a whole lot of self satisfaction

    Theres a warm and fuzzy feeling about building your first set of wheels... after that its just a given that you will be building your own from then on in.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: buckfiddious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Best bang for the buck? Easy, lighter tubes
    C'mon guys, I'm not a moeron.

    Tubes, replaced. Cassette? cast iron monstrosity replaced with a Ti XTR cassette. xt shadow derailleur. Carbon seatpost, WTB silverado saddle. Boat anchor crank replaced with a much lighter race face crank. Big ring replaced with a lightweight bashguard. horrible deore shifters replaced with super awesome pauls thumbies. Bars, replaced and cut down to fit through trees.Stem, replaced with something lighter.

    I've gotten all the easy stuff.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    447
    I've done it all, Lighter tubes, Carver fork, Lighter rims w/ light gauge spokes and lighter hubs.
    Even with heavy tubes and heavy wheels I punctured the tires, surprisingly enough light tubes and light tires have had less punctures!

    By far the lighter complete wheel had the most effect, I ran the same HuDu on the heavier wheel and the difference is remarkable. I never had the front end lift up like it does now. My front wheel built up is 1000g, All in, including HuDu tire was close to your target amount, it's not a cheap fix.
    If you have the skills, smthngfishy's suggestion involving buying and selling and tearing apart old wheels to build new ones seems to be the only way to spread the dough around effectively.

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    447
    double post - error 505`s

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by smthgfshy View Post
    the best bang for buck weight savings if I had $500.....and your bike...

    #1 - buy carver fork ($300) sell old fork ($50) = 250
    #2 - sell old rims ($100) buy marge lites ($300) = 50
    #3 - buy ashima rotors ($50) = 0

    I hesitate on the Ashima rotors, too aggressive on most brake pads. Magura Storm SL would be a safer option

    Only downside is it assumes you have the skills, or a friend who can do it for free.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    341
    From my experience and swapping wheelsets from the Large Marges to the Marges Lites, that would be my vote.

    For good pricing on complete wheels, check out AEBike.com:
    Shop for bicycle parts and accessories - AEBike.com

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smthgfshy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    140
    [QUOTE=boogman;9968556]How do you get a pair of marge lites laced for $300

    lace'em yourself or call in a favor to a friend.

    with that plan, assuming he's got a stock pugsley fork, stock undrilled RD's, and something equivalent to Avid g3's, he'll save somewhere right around 3 pounds. He could also drill them himself, and put the $300towards an E-13 crank which would bring his savings close to 3.5lbs.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01 View Post
    From my experience and swapping wheelsets from the Large Marges to the Marges Lites, that would be my vote.

    For good pricing on complete wheels, check out AEBike.com:
    Shop for bicycle parts and accessories - AEBike.com
    How come i always see laced up rear wheels for sale more often than fronts?

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,682
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    ...I've gotten all the easy stuff.
    Then dare I suggest a bit of the harder stuff?

    Singlespeed it.

    The biggest improvement you can make to the feel of just about any bike IMO.

    However as a singlespeed rider of longstanding, I actually advocate having gears on a fatbike. This is because if you gear it for the sort of tricky stuff you can ride fat on, you'd be spinning madly to get there on normal trails.

    Setting up as a dinglespeed or tringlespeed may be a light method of having some gearing available though.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Smallfurry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    However as a singlespeed rider of longstanding, I actually advocate having gears on a fatbike. This is because if you gear it for the sort of tricky stuff you can ride fat on, you'd be spinning madly to get there on normal trails.
    So glad to read this. I'm a single speeder at heart. But have planned a 1x10 drivetrain for my fatbike. As delivery of the frame approachs I find myself with this gut feeling to build it up SS to start with. Basically to get the feel of the bike before I confuse myself with gears. Think maybe I should let my head rule my heart on this one.

    A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

  16. #41
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    However as a singlespeed rider of longstanding, I actually advocate having gears on a fatbike. This is because if you gear it for the sort of tricky stuff you can ride fat on, you'd be spinning madly to get there on normal trails.
    I'll not have been riding SS as long as you but i rode mine constantly for about 3yrs before getting a fatbike (still ride it), depending on where you live and what you ride also, i agree that gears are great fun on a fatty, i can clear techy sections that i wouldnt be able to if i had one gear. Set up as 1 x 10 is good enough, i have a 30t HBC on the front and 10 at the back, so my highest is 30:11 and lowest 30:36 and im hardly in the lowest unless in riding up steps or something silly steep.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Smallfurry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    I'll not have been riding SS as long as you but i rode mine constantly for about 3yrs before getting a fatbike (still ride it), depending on where you live and what you ride also, i agree that gears are great fun on a fatty, i can clear techy sections that i wouldnt be able to if i had one gear. Set up as 1 x 10 is good enough, i have a 30t HBC on the front and 10 at the back, so my highest is 30:11 and lowest 30:36 and im hardly in the lowest unless in riding up steps or something silly steep.
    Interesting. Im looking to run 31(also HBC) : 11-36.

    My SS 29er is amazing if you dont need to cycle asphalt for too long. Then spinning the long cranks gets annoying.
    A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: buckfiddious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Then dare I suggest a bit of the harder stuff?

    Singlespeed it.

    The biggest improvement you can make to the feel of just about any bike IMO.

    However as a singlespeed rider of longstanding, I actually advocate having gears on a fatbike. This is because if you gear it for the sort of tricky stuff you can ride fat on, you'd be spinning madly to get there on normal trails.

    Setting up as a dinglespeed or tringlespeed may be a light method of having some gearing available though.
    I tried a singlespeed, it just wasn't for me. I really wanted to love it but ended up just cursing it constantly. I gots much respect for anyone who can singlespeed but for me it's not to be.

    I've thought about just running a granny ring up front but I use the middle ring enough to keep 2 rings in the front.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    How come i always see laced up rear wheels for sale more often than fronts?
    I'm guessing it's because QBP distribution is the widest of the fatties, and up until recently for them the Pugsley offset fork was their mainstay. Soooo, two rear wheels

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drofluf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Then dare I suggest a bit of the harder stuff?

    Singlespeed it.

    The biggest improvement you can make to the feel of just about any bike IMO.

    However as a singlespeed rider of longstanding, I actually advocate having gears on a fatbike. This is because if you gear it for the sort of tricky stuff you can ride fat on, you'd be spinning madly to get there on normal trails.

    Setting up as a dinglespeed or tringlespeed may be a light method of having some gearing available though.
    Totally agree. My 29er is perfect as a singlespeed and the Pugsley a lot of fun over the summer as a singlespeed but I've just put an Aline 8 on it and it's made a world of difference! Because I can stay seated I can get far more traction on the climbs and the higher gears mean I'm fast on the flats.
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smthgfshy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    140
    Wait a second....back the bus up....you're running a 2x setup??

    run 1x9/10 for sure....lots of options to suit your style. there goes another pound at least.....

  22. #47
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,771
    For me, it was the tires. More specifically, replacing the Larry/Endomorph combo with a Nate/Nate combo. Monumental buttloads of traction now, I am on my fourth set of Nates and love them very much.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    For me, it was the tires. More specifically, replacing the Larry/Endomorph combo with a Nate/Nate combo. Monumental buttloads of traction now, I am on my fourth set of Nates and love them very much.
    having used 4 sets would you say the rubber compond is soft compared to others??

  24. #49
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,771
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    having used 4 sets would you say the rubber compond is soft compared to others??
    Yes, and I have come to the conclusion that perhaps Surly/QBP ought to offer a harder compound version, maybe call it the Hard Nate or something whimsical along those lines. I’m not sure if there is enough interest in them going to the trouble though.

    At $90/tire (for the 27tpi version—having tried the $150 lightweight versions I did not notice any stellar performance improvements) I’d like to think I can get the same number of miles as on high-end (high-dollar as well) 29er race tires, but those last longer than the Nates. I’ve managed between 300 - 500 miles per set of Nates, bike (2012 aluminum 9:zero:7) is ridden on rocky/loose/technical singletrack and fire roads, as well as muddy/mucky stuff and perhaps 13% of the miles on asphalt.
    Last edited by Leopold Porkstacker; 12-15-2012 at 10:16 AM.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,279
    sadly not many miles under those conditions. Would the Knard work for these conditions as an option?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •