mtbr member
    May 2013

Before I go cutting......

On-one fatty arrived 3 weeks ago. Loving it. Just cannot get used to the wide bars. Are wide bars more effective in sand and soft stuff? Or is the width of these just guff?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Wider bars give you greater leverage, but it's a personal thing. Not everyone finds the wide bar trend to work for them. You could slide your brake levers, shifters and grips inwards about a half inch and try riding that way for a while. Keep doing so until you find your best position, then hack away.

mtbr member

Before I go cutting......

With wider bars, you will want to set up your whole cockpit a bit shorter than you may have previously. Get slightly more upright, less over the bars. Might help you like it before you decide you don't.

mtbr member
    I've had pretty wide bars, almost 700. And my current ones are really short (Cheap ebay carbon). Somewhere around 600. I actually am liking the shorter ones for what it's done to the handling when ripping single track. Not as easy to overshoot a fast corner or pick a line in a split second... However I enjoyed the control and sense of leverage in the snow and such in the winter. I'll likely be putting the longer bars back on in winter.

Shrug.
    Fatbike Chicago on Facebook

Nemophilist
    Indeed;

There is a trade off. Wider = slower, but with greater leverage. It takes a longer swing of the hands to get the same change in steering angle. This can be great if your bike is twitchy by nature (most aren't these days). In soft conditions, the extra leverage can be helpful. So too does that leverage tend to dampen the shock of rough terrain. To the bad, you have to be more careful in narrow clearance situations.

Clipping a bar on a tree is not a good idea. Nasty crashes sometimes. I have been transitioning to longer bars for a while. I used to ride 25" riser bars, but switched to 27", which took a while. No way I could go much wider around here without either stopping a lot or cutting some trees down. I need to be conscious on trails I've ridden often because muscle memory has me clipping these wider bars if I'm not careful. I have On One Mary's on all of my bikes now, at 660mm. I still get reminded with the occasional ding off the end of the bar cap.

I also suggest you play with the cockpit length and width before cutting. Like "learning" to ride a Fatty, you have to get used to the self steer and ride characteristics that you now likely don't even notice any longer (I don't). To give it a proper go, you need to work past your subconscious predilection for your old setup. You still may not prefer them in the end, but if you don't try it you may never learn that wider bars actually work better for you. Been there!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmo76 View Post
    On-one fatty arrived 3 weeks ago. Loving it. Just cannot get used to the wide bars. Are wide bars more effective in sand and soft stuff? Or is the width of these just guff?

Cheers
    Need more information for the best advice. Do you have Orangutan arms, or are yours more like a T-Rex?
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Wide bars are not all made the same - I had a set of wider bars on my Krampus and couldn't get used to them. Swapped in a set of the same width from the same brand, but with more sweep I love them.

Having said that I have cut down wide bars to get them to the width I needed to ride in the trees on really tight trails.

Just check to see how much you can safely cut from those bars and if you think that amount will meet your needs. If not it will be easier to sell/trade an uncut bar for one that would suit you better.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    there's a point when wide become too wide, you need to experiment with it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for responses. Realised this morning that with hands wider I am leaning forward more so as suggested need to play with cockpit setup perhaps. Fatty handlebars are 810 mm wide. Might swap the DH riser bars onto it. Still plenty of width and will get me a bit mroe upright.