mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Beargrease X5 or maybe Ice Cream Truck Ops

Looking at my first "fat tire" bike purchase and was wondering about thoughts between the Beargrease X5 and Ice Cream Truck Ops. Currently riding a Trek X-Caliber but am thinking of a fat tire for my primary bike. Mostly do single track, fire/logging trails and dirt roads. I currently do not race but like to push myself and might do a few races this coming year.
    I have rode the Beargrease at a Salsa demo but have not had a chance with the Ice Cream Truck Ops yet. Thanks in advance for any input.

mtbr member
    How do the geometries compare? Shorter vs longer wheelbase, stays, etc. Effective top tube length? Head tube and seat tube angles. BB height?

Frame design is paramount to me. Componentry is a factor, but less so.

Fit and frame design first.
    There is a season, turn, turn, turn
    And a time for every wheel to turn through it

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by AthleticAL View Post
    How do the geometries compare? Shorter vs longer wheelbase, stays, etc. Effective top tube length? Head tube and seat tube angles. BB height?

Frame design is paramount to me. Componentry is a factor, but less so.

Fit and frame design first.
    I am not knowledgeable enough on all the geometry lingo to necessarily understand it all yet. At some point I will find a Surly dealer in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area that would have some stock to try one out, but in the mean time I was just looking for input and thoughts between the two.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I just pulled up the geometries of both bikes and they are really close. Pretty much an inch or under in all measurements for comparable size bikes.
    Still would love to hear some thoughts on ride characteristics between the two.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Steel or aluminum?

For me, I opted for an ICT Ops as my other two bikes are also steel (El Mar's).

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by KR65 View Post
    Steel or aluminum?

For me, I opted for an ICT Ops as my other two bikes are also steel (El Mar's).
    The Beargrease is aluminum and the ICT Ops is steel. Good/bad with either one??

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ArronV View Post
    The Beargrease is aluminum and the ICT Ops is steel. Good/bad with either one??
    Yes, I know the BG is aluminum and the ICT is steel.

You'll get a million opinions regarding ride quality of aluminum versus steel. Ride both and go from there.

Personally, I love how steel rides and a lot of that goes back to when I was a kid, riding on old-school Schwinn frames (35+ years ago). To me, aluminum is a "stiff" ride whereas steel is more "pliant".

LCW
    mtbr member
    Ride quality of the ICT will likely be better due to it being steel... but I'd personally for the geo of the Beargrease.... (or look at a Pugsley Ops or Wednesday)... like more nimble and "fun". The ICT is a bus.

EVIL Following
    Yeti
    SB-66A

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Both!
    Beargrease X5 or maybe Ice Cream Truck Ops-image.jpg
    (Okay, well that is the CF version but the geos are the same)

Beargrease X5 or maybe Ice Cream Truck Ops-image.jpg
    (And not the Ops version but frame is the same)

Okay, so cereal.....
    The BG has a very aggressive feel to it vs the ICT. I use it as my race rig and fast machine, it is more MTB like in ride quality. The ICT is very comfy feeling(steel is cushy!) and more relaxed geo, tons of frame mounts for racks & bags. I could more easily spend all day on this bike and feel great(not that I haven't rode 156 miles on my BG in one day and not been okay with it but more breaks & stretching might be involved!)

2 different animals but both rad! I wouldn't wanna choose just one because I love them both for different reasons(my CF BG is nearly 10lbs lighter!) but I think I'd probably choose my ICT. It just is more "useful" in more situations.
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Salsa Beargrease Carbon 1
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Looking at my first "fat tire" bike purchase and was wondering about thoughts between the Beargrease X5 and Ice Cream Truck Ops. Currently riding a Trek X-Caliber but am thinking of a fat tire for my primary bike. Mostly do single track, fire/logging trails and dirt roads. I currently do not race but like to push myself and might do a few races this coming year.
    I have rode the Beargrease at a Salsa demo but have not had a chance with the Ice Cream Truck Ops yet. Thanks in advance for any input.
    That's funny.. I have an X-Caliber 8 too and I was also contemplating the BG X5 vs the ICT ops when Surly dropped their prices earlier this month.. I spent last season riding an alu Norco Bigfoot which I did not find to be harsh at all set up with both 4 and 4.5" tires in the winter. I live in Canada and prices didn't drop much up here on the ICT and I did not want to go through the hassle of purchasing through the states with taxes, duties and all. I decided to support an awesome LBS and go with the BG.

Personally, I wanted to go with a bike that I could potentially use year round maybe even replacing the Trek once I get a Bluto next year. The (much) lighter weight is what sold me on the BG as geo numbers we're pretty similar on both bikes. The Surly seemed a bit overbuilt for my needs and I'm hoping to get lots of miles on the BG once it comes in this week.

That being said, I'll likely ditch the front derailleur as soon as I get it and go 1x and tubeless for even more weight savings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cmanios View Post
    That's funny.. I have an X-Caliber 8 too and I was also contemplating the BG X5 vs the ICT ops when Surly dropped their prices earlier this month.. I spent last season riding an alu Norco Bigfoot which I did not find to be harsh at all set up with both 4 and 4.5" tires in the winter. I live in Canada and prices didn't drop much up here on the ICT and I did not want to go through the hassle of purchasing through the states with taxes, duties and all. I decided to support an awesome LBS and go with the BG.

Personally, I wanted to go with a bike that I could potentially use year round maybe even replacing the Trek once I get a Bluto next year. The (much) lighter weight is what sold me on the BG as geo numbers we're pretty similar on both bikes. The Surly seemed a bit overbuilt for my needs and I'm hoping to get lots of miles on the BG once it comes in this week.

That being said, I'll likely ditch the front derailleur as soon as I get it and go 1x and tubeless for even more weight savings.
    I think you're thoughts are more in line with me as well. I am going to give the ICT Ops a fair shake though and try and find a dealer with one in stock to try out over Christmas break. I would also like to see how heavy a medium is in person. I wonder if Surly will keep the price down on the Ops or not?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Well ended up going with a medium 2015 Salsa Beargrease 2 my LBS had on closeout. Thinking I ended up with a pretty good deal. Pretty excited, it should be in this coming Wednesday and on the trails by Thursday/Friday. My winter fun factor up here in MN/WI just went up 100% along with spring, summer and fall Its looking like 6-10 inches of new snow for Monday/Tuesday so great riding on the Woolly Mammoth trails in St. Croix Falls.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Well ended up going with a medium 2015 Salsa Beargrease 2 my LBS had on closeout. Thinking I ended up with a pretty good deal. Pretty excited, it should be in this coming Wednesday and on the trails by Thursday/Friday. My winter fun factor up here in MN/WI just went up 100% along with spring, summer and fall Its looking like 6-10 inches of new snow for Monday/Tuesday so great riding on the Woolly Mammoth trails in St. Croix Falls.
    Enjoy it when it comes in! I got my BG last week and she absolutely shreds..