mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Beargrease Tire Combos

So with the 177x12 rear, the Beargrease falls into the small category, but according to salsa can run bigger tires in 1x. I like the 2x and want to keep it. I would say there is 10-15mm from the sidewall to the granny chain line in the rear.

I have a 2016 and was looking at maybe running a bigger front (fits up to 5" supposedly) and something a little bigger in the back. Or maybe just some nice 4" like the Van Helgas? Would running mismatched 4 rear and 4.6 front cause weird handling or geo?

What you got beargrease owners? I searched the forums and it looks like the frame changed almost every year even just slightly. So I figured this would be a good central thread for all things beargrease tire combos.

mtbr member
    The carbon version frame hasn't changed this 2014. I've ran a lot of different tires and wheel combos. You can run a 4.5+(D5, Dunderbeist, GC) tire comfortably on the rear. I like running the same size front and rear, but a slightly taller tire up front in snow it's too noticeable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    The carbon version frame hasn't changed this 2014. I've ran a lot of different tires and wheel combos. You can run a 4.5+(D5, Dunderbeist, GC) tire comfortably on the rear. I like running the same size front and rear, but a slightly taller tire up front in snow it's too noticeable.
    You think I could get that GC on with the 2x10?

mtbr member
    I converted to 1X right away so I'm not sure, you should as well!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I run a vanhelga on back and a flowbeist up front

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I picked up a new BG X5 in December and switched to 1x before I rode it. I tried fitting some Snowshoe XL's I had kicking around but it was a no go in the rear with the 80mm mulefuts. I studded up some Nates for the winter (which do a great job in southern QC) and I picked up a pair of 4.0 Jug-pros for weight weenie summer mode.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    You think I could get that GC on with the 2x10?
    I am running Vanhelga's front and rear. Recently rode with someone on a Fatboy S-works with GC's. Also 82mm HEDs. They were *struggling* on climbs that the Vanhelgas just walked up. Similar pressures. I think that there was a skill differential, but the knobs on the GC's look almost comically small next to the Vanhelga's.

I think people put think that there is a much bigger difference between a solid 4.0 meaty tire and bud/lou. If you are riding stuff that is pushing the limit that hard, then skill and power are going to play a much greater role than your tire size. I regularly clean trails where I can see that a rider with a bud/lou combo has turned around. That being said, maybe there are bud/lou riders that are regularly cleaning trails on which I turned around. And who knows how much farther I could go with 5" tires. All I know is that I cut trail down an unwalked, unridden, unskied mess the other day and was hub-deep at points. The snow conditions were *just* right, but the Vanhelga's absolutely shined.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have 2015 BG carbon, 1x11. Minion FBF + FBR (65mm rims). Had to shave FBR side knobs little (drivetrain side) for a good clearance.
    Last edited by Scooby349; 02-12-2016 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Rim size

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I have a 2013 AL Beargrease and ran a tubeless Bud (fr) Lou (rear) with 1x11 on 65mm Marge Lites last year. This year the Lou ballooned and started rubbing the seatstay cross member. Switched to a Dunderbiest in the rear which as been great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Great stuff all. I really am looking hard at the van helgas. The DB/FB horror thread has kind of turned me off from those. How do D5s do as a snow tire without studs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    It's hard to beat the vanhelgas. I only ran a flowbeist up front because the Hed rims seemed to flatten the vanhelga out a little bit. And the 4.6 tire rounded out more less washing out for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I had D5īs on Nextieīs 90mm rims. Tight but worked well.. still have them but waiting adapter for a front hub, so I can fit them 2016 Beargrease -frame.
    Now I have 65mm rims with Vanhelgas, they are nice also.

mtbr member
    Bud Front, Vanhelga rear. On my second winter with this combo and I'm very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RMcjd View Post
    Bud Front, Vanhelga rear. On my second winter with this combo and I'm very happy with it.
    I like that D5 setup. Looks good. How does the Bud feel up front? Is there any perceptable rearward tilt. Whats the diameter difference between a VH and a Lou? 20mm?

mtbr member
    At least 20 mmm difference mounted on the Mulfuts so the D5 or Dunderbeist would be the biggest you could go back there. The Vanhelga is a great rear tire for it's size. There might be a bit of a weight penalty with the Bud but the cornering traction in loose conditions is worth it for me and I like having a little extra float up front.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    Great stuff all. I really am looking hard at the van helgas. The DB/FB horror thread has kind of turned me off from those. How do D5s do as a snow tire without studs?
    I wouldn't rule out the DB/FB combo just yet, lots of people running them with no issues. I rode D5's last winter and while I loved them on hardpacked trails they just can't compare to the Beists for traction and cornering in the soft stuff. The D5 tends to wash out where the Flowbeist hangs right on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby349 View Post
    I have 2015 BG carbon, 1x11. Minion FBF + FBR (65mm rims). Had to shave FBR side knobs little (drivetrain side) for a good clearance.
    How have you liked the FBF/FBR? Any comments on rolling resistance or comparisons to other tires? Have you used them in snow at all? I think I read they washout in the snow. I thought about trying them or dual FBR as they look like a slightly wider VanHelga.