mtbr member
    Apr 2015

BD single speed gearing?

I have a Deadeye monster from bikes direct. It is mainly used for snow and rough soft stuff but not what most would consider serious trial riding. (fishing along river and snow days on mup) I comes with 22t rear cog mounted and an 18t in the parts I have run both cogs and think a 20t would work better than either anyone else running 32t x 20t on a S.S. Fatbike?

Not the fake Jay Leno
    My Pugsley SS came stock with 33 x 19. It was ok, but I prefer a 22t cog for trails and a 16 or 17t for commuting. It really depends on your environs. I usually have a couple of rear cogs mounted, so I can swap fairly quickly.

is buachail foighneach me
    For what you're describing, 32 x 20 sounds ideal. I run 32 x 19 with Buds most of the time, 32 x 21 or 22 for bad conditions, and used 28 x 21 for a month of casual pace bikepacking in Baja last month.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Singlespeed gearing is very personal and what you like others may not. Definitely don't take the ratios BD gives you as a consensus of what actual singlespeeders are riding.

With fat tires 28/20 has been perfect for me, but with plus tires I went to 30/20 and it felt similar to my previous gearing with fat tires. When I put the fat tires back on with the 30/20 gearing, it was noticeably more difficult to ride with and ultimately slower for me since climbing was more of a struggle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I am going to try a 20t I told my LBS to get one next time he orders stock Since it isn't one of my bikes the get ridden often there isn't a rush . It may get sold since I have a geared 29 + now .I am still on the fence on that . I have seven bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Well finally got a 20t cog, then had to run to the LBS for a half link to make the chain work . I made a store run on it. We have inch of wet snow and still snowing so it seemed like the perfect time for a short test run I think I am going to like it
    Roy

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Okay finally got out to the local trail to try this bike for speed compared to the original 22t cog I know that before I averaged 6.1-6.3 mph over 8 miles on this bike running in the grass a lot of the trail I average 7.6 mph yesterday with no problem with the rolling hills there I know that still isn't fast but works for me on this bike
    I use this trail as a measure because it is close I can ride pavement or grass and I have rode this 8 mile loop 100 times at least so I can judge it against other bikes