Thread: BB Help please!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

BB Help please!

I have a Samox crank and BB, and noticed it was getting a bit crunchy. I removed the BB, dust covers, and bearing seals, and the drive side bearing was contaminated with water. Inside of frame and BB is clean, water got in from the outside. I didn't pull the bearing from the cup, but blasted it from one side with brake cleaner. Nice brown grease came out and there is surface rust on the ball retainers. Regardless, I was able to get it moving smoothly again. ND side is fine. I've got two options, keep it limping along or buy another.

First, regrease. What is the most water-resistant/repellent grease you know of? I was thinking marine grease, and packing it full to the seals. I don't know what was in there, hopefully I got it all out. What is the danger if I accidentally add a grease with a different base soap and there is a little of the old stuff in there?

Second, replacement BB. I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff. It's a BSA 100mm BB, I was hoping I could just buy a drop-in replacement but I'm guessing it's not that easy. I'm assuming spindle diameters and what have you vary pretty wildly. Samox stuff is hard to source and I don't really want another one anyway. Suggestions?

Thanks for any help....

Loud hubs save lives!
    It sounds like the bearings are fine. Worry more about mixing new grease with the brake cleaner, not the old grease. Just make sure you let it dry completely before adding the new grease. I use marine grease and it works well. Most bearings specify a fill % when packing bearings, but since bb bearings move so slowly you will not hurt anything with a 100% fill.

mtbr member
    second marine grease. pack it up. For new bearings, measure the spindle diameter and see if one side is bigger than the other. quick google search looks like shimano hollowtech might work, but always measure. Talk to the good people at your LBS, and you'd be surprised what they know. Just make sure you buy the bearings from them, otherwise it's just rude.

I had water in my frame, and I think most of it came in through the seat post when washing it. Remember to flip your bike upside down a couple times to make sure large volumes of water are draining out. You're crankset should have a plastic tube sleeve that protects the crank from anything that gets in the tube, but water can still leak in.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Members who have read this thread: 0