Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Available lightweight tire options?

I should probably just wait for the lightweight Husker Du's to come back in but open to suggestions. Running stock 27tpi Nates on my Muk. So...

Ultralight Nates: more of the same, but lighter?
    I was told to avoid Escalators for durability issues.
    120tpi Knard: too soon to tell?
    Just wait till September and get the HuDu's, stoopid.

Weight, grip, and toughness priority over rolling resistance. Everyday trail use with plenty of rocks. Figure I could always put the Nates back on for the snow if I got something like the Knard. With drilling my Darryl's, hoping to knock off around three real pounds. That would be fairly awesome.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Tire Weights for Fat-Bikes | FAT-BIKE.COM

My next set are going to be knards, I've seen enough mention of people getting more miles out of them than hudus and the weights are much the same.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post

My next set are going to be knards, I've seen enough mention of people getting more miles out of them than hudus and the weights are much the same.
    Me too. I reckon they'll be very similar.

The soft compound on the HuDu's make them very grippy but not worth a sh1t when i have to replace $150+ tyres after 4 months.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    FYI, the early 120 Knards that I bought 8 months ago were both well into the 1400 gram range, so keep that in mind. Also, they are pretty small width-wise when compared to just about any other fat tire. My guess is weights have stabilized, but they are still a 3.7-3.8 casing. Nice, fast tire but a little slippery on the wet stuff.

mtbr member
    Offcouse-Ran across that weight chart just the other day, really good info there. What are you riding on now?

Ozzy-I'm not terribly concerned about wear, the Muk is essentially a third bike. Then again, if this all goes well I'll probably ride it more. And 4 months@ $150 a pop, damn.

Deux-how were they on height? The BB is really low now. I'm a little worried about the HuDu's as I've read they are shorter and fatter.

There are no official weights listed on these tires so the manufacturers are covered, but it'd be really nice if the dopey things were SOMEWHAT consistent! I'm looking at $300 bucks here to accomplish a specific thing, less weight. The HuDu seems to have been sorta consistent but I didn't realize they were a QBP product also. So who knows. Don't mean to sound whiny here, it's all for fun anyway.

Thanks very!

Fat & Single
    Most of us use our fatbikes as a goto bike for the majority of our rides, my bikes have never seen snow and are ridden on 90% dirt and occasionally sand. If money and wear is no object then give the HuDu's a try but after every ride have a look at your rear tyre, it wears on a daily basis.

I have a brand spanking set of HuDu ultralights here still in the packaging and will be putting them on for a race that's coming up. Awesome tyres but for daily rides you'll need deep pockets and a proactive approach to buying them as they don't hang about too long when available, if you think about buying them for any amount of time when they become available.... the decision usually gets made for you
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Most of us use our fatbikes as a goto bike for the majority of our rides, my bikes have never seen snow and are ridden on 90% dirt and occasionally sand. If money and wear is no object then give the HuDu's a try but after every ride have a look at your rear tyre, it wears on a daily basis.

I have a brand spanking set of HuDu ultralights here still in the packaging and will be putting them on for a race that's coming up. Awesome tyres but for daily rides you'll need deep pockets and a proactive approach to buying them as they don't hang about too long when available, if you think about buying them for any amount of time when they become available.... the decision usually gets made for you
    So...when you can find them, buy them, unless you can't.

Fat & Single
    They disappear quickly, buy or do without.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    I have a pair of 120 tpi Knards. They weighed in at 1315 g and 1340 g so they are not exactly lightweight. Other "disappointment" is, that after 2 months and maybe 700-800 kilometers (mostly on asphalt for some reason) they show very little wear, so it seems that I cannot justify buying lighter tyres in near future

I think they perform well, but I can't say anything about wet stuff, as we have not had a proper rain since...can't remember when, which is quite odd as I don't live exactly in an area that could be described as arid (SW Finland).

EDIT Don't know if this is of any help, but their max casing width on 65 mm rims is about 92 mm and their height seems to be comparable with Larry on 82 mm rim, but it seems that Larry has rounder casing profile (if my eyes do not betray me) even though it sits on a broader rim.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I'm thinking I'll run a knard up front and a Vee 8 in back, then switch to escaltors in the winter. I'll be going ghetto tubeless tonight.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    My bikes in pieces in the garage (anodizing the fork to match frame but I've have on-one floaters on since I torn open a hudu on an oyster shell
    The difference in rolling resistance is huge between the two (floater/hudu) but it's winter here ATM so its all good I will play around with the floater on the front but I can't see one going back on the rear in the future unless I go do Thompsons Track again in the summer ;-) Thompsons Track 2009 - The Mighty Rock - YouTube

mtbr member
    Man, I'd jump on the 120tpi Knards if I could be (kinda) sure they'll hit around 1300g. Assuming they're on the same casing as my Nate's I shouldn't lose anything size wise? Too bad the Floater isn't a bit lighter. The Vee 8 looks neat, but I as much of a tire whore as I am, wonder about handling.
    HuDu still seem like the lightest that works well, but maybe I'll see if any local shops have some Knard's. At around 1300g I'm still shedding close to a pound per.
    Thanks for all the feedback, very cool.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    There are reports that the Vee 8's self-steer; I've run Vee Missions on my rear tire without issue- they're fast, but heavy and on the rear, handle just fine. The Vee 8's are supposedly at least a pound lighter; combined with a Knard up front, they should handle well.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Yeah it was the self steer that had me concerned. Maybe. Thinking pretty hard about the Knard, some DH tubes, drilling (which I could do anytime but going for max effect) and maybe a spiffy fork. 30lbs? That'd be insane considering it was 36.9 on the shop scale day one!

mtbr member
    The hudu's get self steer if you have them to low on hard surfaces......if you need anymore convincing
    It sucks having to pull out the pump if your just going for a quick ride down to the beach and back.

mtbr member
    Like how low? I usually run around 10psi in the Nates.
    Thinking. I'm going away half of August so maybe wait till September and see if the HuDu's pop up anywhere.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    For the record, I love my Escalators. I did have 1/4" sticks go through the middle of the tread (twice!), but that was months ago, and they're still going strong. I didn't bother patching the tire. So yeah, they seem flimsy, but only slightly more so than the light HuDu's. I scored mine for $117 off the innernetz.

Fat & Single
    I pulled the plastic packaging off my HuDu's today and weighed them, tipping the scales at a spritely 1250g and 1230g.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    For the record, I love my Escalators. I did have 1/4" sticks go through the middle of the tread (twice!), but that was months ago, and they're still going strong. I didn't bother patching the tire. So yeah, they seem flimsy, but only slightly more so than the light HuDu's. I scored mine for $117 off the innernetz.
    Andy likes them too, but I think he already flatted one. Otherwise, a decent choice. Argh!

I pulled the plastic packaging off my HuDu's today and weighed them, tipping the scales at a spritely 1250g and 1230g.
    Damn, that's more than a pound less per, based off average 27tpi Nate's. Want!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by extremedave View Post
    Like how low?
    Sub 7 does it for me, so coming off the beach at 6psi onto road is generally when I notice it.

mtbr member
    I'm not brave enough to run that low, plus I haven't yet hit a beach. So, should be good. Called my cool fatbike-digging-LBS today (actually the shop that got me into it), they show HuDu's available beginning of September so they have my name on a set! I gotta get my rims drilled in the next couple weeks then.

Talked about the Carver O'Beast fork, they were all for the idea but suggested I wait and go 15mm as it seems the market is leaning that way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by extremedave View Post
    Talked about the Carver O'Beast fork, they were all for the idea but suggested I wait and go 15mm as it seems the market is leaning that way.
    Is there a need for a 15mm thru axle on a fatbike on rigid forks?

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Ive had bolt on 10mm, 15mm through, 20mm through and even the white elephant 25mm through axel on my 2008 Specialized Enduro, all my bikes are fully rigid now and all run QR axels. I use Halo bolt on skewers on all my bikes except the rear of my fatbike which has a salsa 170mm, they all get ridden HARD on dirt and I can tell you I notice no difference in stiffness between QR or 15mm on a fully rigid bike.

Both my MTB's run Carbon Fibre wheels and my fatbike has 65mm rims so basically zero flex coming from the wheels, couple this with rigid forks the bike steers like a pizza cutter, all the play/flex on a fatbike will come from the tyres anyway.

If you have suspension forks then there is probably an advantage YMMV.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    If you have suspension forks then there is probably an advantage YMMV.
    I agree, I don't think it's necessary on a rigid. I believe the shop is trying to help "future proof" me as they feel 15mm will become more common. I can see the wisdom in that. I recently built a bike and went 10 speed even though I had a few 9 speed bits lying around. Thinking, better to be ahead of the curve rather than behind?

Entirely possible I'll just do the fork anyway, knowing me. Have to think about it, as I don't need a new hub then either. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Something to think about relative to fat ultralight tires is that weights vary considerably between samples of the exact same model. So if you have the ability weigh a bunch of tires and pick the lighter ones. You can get weight loss at zero cost, but it requires access to a supply of tires.

If you are ordering 1 or 2 at a time mail order you are at the mercy of whomever is grabbing them from the bin at the warehouse.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast