mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Autosteer handleing issue with Hu Du, Larrry. Better with Nate

I've had auto steer issues with my fatbike's so I'm looking for some feedback as some riders have never heard of it.

Autosteer is when the front tire turns into the corner ahead of you or when there is an onjulation (?) of the terrain.

I first noticed this on my Muk with a Larry. Went to a Bud and it went away. Now I have a Beargrease. First I had a Hu Du (120 tubeless) and the autosteer was back. Then put on a Nate and it's gone. My biggest concern is the handleing vs the rolling resistance and weight. The Hu Du's have an effortless rolling resistance and the Nates are like riding up a hill. Nates also weigh a little more.

I would prefer to ride the Hu Du but don't feel as confortable coming into a corner

Has anyone else noticed this? Are there any resolutions for the autosteer issues other than a tire swap? Is this only an issue with the Salsa's?

mtbr member

Re: Autosteer handleing issue with Hu Du, Larrry. Better with Nate

I would *think* this is caused by tire pressure more than tire type - well unless you put an endo tire on front! Talk about weird steering.

And even though you may be using identical pressures in each tire type, the casing/sidewalls will respond differently. Some are more stiff, some very soft and pliable.

And maybe you want steering that is more slack than your salsa?

That's my guess, but this is interesting and I would love to hear any other observations on fatbike handling. Maybe it is more about tire type than pressure and some better than others?? Combined with bike geo, who knows all the different steering feels one could get.

If I remember correctly, my pugsly has the characteristic you mention, but not my 907. But it's been a loooong time since I rode my pugs.

mtbr member

What thickfog said...

Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    I would *think* this is caused by tire pressure more than tire type - well unless you put an endo tire on front! Talk about weird steering.
    Other than the endo, the tires you mention handle pretty good IMO at proper pressures. Having said that I get some self steer at looow pressures (3-5 psi) with larrys, nates AND hudus when transitioning from soft to firm surfaces. I take that as my cue to air up for conditions. As for Nates, am I the only one who thinks they roll pretty good as a front tire? I do notice added resistance when I run my nate in the rear, but love the handling up front. Nate front/HuDu rear is my preferred setup winter and summer, though larrys have a slight edge on the beach (for the sand around here, anyway).

FWIW I ride a 2010 alu fatback with 70 umas
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    yup me too on my pugs with devis8ers which are 60tpi and @ 7-8 psi the majority of the time exhibit this character.

mtbr member
    I had reg Larrys up front, came stock on my Necro, but auto steer/loose cornering was horrid and camber sucked.
    Run Endos both F&R and have no auto steer issues. Honestly, I have NO steering issues with Endos and I run them pretty low(less than 5 psi).
    I have BFLs I run in winter, F&R, haven't noticed much auto steer with them(odd since they should be same as reg Larry) but camber & loose terrain still sucks. I am learning how to recover well or avoid.
    I think the reason I have such issues with Larry and camber is that I have no issues with the Endos and side knobs, they grab everything and I never slide out. I can turn on a dime and know it will end up where I want it to go. The Larry is more of a "suggestion" and sometimes I end up where I wanted to be and other times, it's a huge surprise.
    So it might be psi for one tire is too low and I flatten out and loose it on the other? Or I ride too aggressively with one and it doesn't work that way for the other? Or my being light and short and female, that my weight is distributed back further(hip heavy, not shoulder heavy) and so where you guys grip and go, I slide and loose it but where Endos for you guys self steer and suck you off the road in turns, for me they just grip perfectly, I dunno. Could be everything.
    I guess that is the beauty of it? Discovery of what works for you?

Never tried Nates or Floyds. But I plan to.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    With the Larry and Hu Du air psi wasn't the cause although it was better (not gone) with higher psi. It is a surprise to end somewhere other then you planned to go in a corner or sometimes an uneven straight line.

mtbr member
    I've used HuDus, Larrys and Nates on my 907, all at a wide range of tyre pressures, and never noticed this effect.

Nemophilist
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker