Thread: Asian ti frame

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Asian ti frame

what happened to the thread about the Asian ti fatbike frame on alibaba?

I wanted to get some more input on that frame.

It looks belt drive, but it also looks to be a 170mm rear spacing.

I guess you would need some kind of adapter to run a IGH.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Asian ti frame-625784596_870.jpg  

Asian ti frame-625784601_054.jpg  

Asian ti frame-625784606_740.jpg  

Asian ti frame-625786757_199.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Fyi... Its not from taiwan... Company is based out of mainland china, judging by the company name as well as its listed addy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The specs say it has a 38mm(1 1/8") head tube, but the pics look like a straight 1.5" head tube.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I see that now. Is this the same one that was shown yesterday?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    the weight shown is 1.35-1.58 Kg. Are ti frames usually that light?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I don't know anyone who has used Alibaba before.

Anyone know what it's like to do business with these type of sites?

Maybe they will show up on ebay soon.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Asian ti frame

Dude,

Alibaba is a site that sells cheap chinese crap, counterfeit goods, and other "quality" items. If you think its a good idea to buy a ti frame sight unseen, from Alibaba of all places, I have a bridge on the moon to sell you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    They will probably make it however you want. I have not dealt with that company, but I have with another company in China that has made me a couple frames, and they are very eager to make you whatever you want. And they do a good job; I am very impressed.

I recommend it. Shoot off an email to porter@ti-bike.com and tell him what you are interested in; he's smart and very eager to help. He'll get back to you quickly, probably with a cad drawing. You might mention that you are just gathering information right now, manage his expectations. I am in no way connected with him, just a satisfied customer. They are professional, like a challenge, smart, experienced, and trustworthy. There are many threads on here about them. Send them pictures of bikes you like and don't be scared to tell them what you want. I spent a month emailing back and forth on the details for my last frame.

Edit: and they accept Paypal now, for a 5% or so surcharge, so you've got protection there.

Re: Asian ti frame

They are a perfectly legit company. A foreign Amazon. The people selling these frames are probably basing them off the frames they are currently making for brand name bike companies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I wasn't really ready to go and order a frame. I wanted to know a little more about what was out there.

I have seen a lot of the stuff on Alibaba that is crap, but I figured they dealt with all levels of products from all over. I don't think I would order anything through their site, but I do like to look there to see what's available in China, and elsewhere that isn't available here.

Godlikedog: approximately how much does a custom ti frame from china cost?
    Were they interested in making a single one-off frame, or did you approach them with the intent of getting more than one done?

I would probably just go to Carver to get a custom ti fatbike frame though. They are priced very reasonably, compared to American built stuff anyways, and they have experience with fat bikes. They seem to be well regarded here, and elsewhere online. It would also avoid the language barrier problem, which could be a huge deal when getting something custom built. I don't think the cost savings would be worth the risk.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    Godlikedog: approximately how much does a custom ti frame from china cost?
    Were they interested in making a single one-off frame, or did you approach them with the intent of getting more than one done?

I would probably just go to Carver to get a custom ti fatbike frame though. They are priced very reasonably, compared to American built stuff anyways, and they have experience with fat bikes. They seem to be well regarded here, and elsewhere online. It would also avoid the language barrier problem, which could be a huge deal when getting something custom built. I don't think the cost savings would be worth the risk.
    I had them make me a fat bike about 18 months ago, and I remember it being about $580 plus around $150 for shipping. It may have been another $100 for extras like a brushed finish, rack eyelets, and a third water bottle cage mount.

They were quite happy to build me a one-off frame. They never even asked if I might buy more than 1.

The Krampus like soft tail was $985 plus shipping.
    Plus a PayPal surcharge that might have been $70.
    You can also wire them money and they want a $40 fee for that.

Going to Carver is not a bad idea; they can help you, advise you, design it, maybe have little details done that you wouldn't have thought of (although Porter at XACD can too), they can provide you with a warranty and you don't have to send back to China if it breaks, but that's an insurance policy that is worth .... at most $100, maybe $50. Then they will go to Porter at XACD and get it made for you, because that's where they get their frames made, at least they did around a year ago. So you can view their profit as a consultancy fee, and it may very well be worth it to you. Plus you get decals if you buy from Carver. But they should really hire a graphic designer to get the stickers on those bikes to be more appealing.

Tor
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I found the price interesting, so i googled the company. Came up with this:
    Chinese titanium - Beware Titan Product

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    the weight shown is 1.35-1.58 Kg. Are ti frames usually that light?
    No, that's a bit light. About 300 grams more than that is more realistic for a fat bike.
    I got a straight gauge 44mm head tube like that frame has and eventually realized that it weighs a quarter kg by itself, so add another 100 grams.

My rule of thumb is that a titanium hardtail should be 2% of your body mass. Although fabrication issues arise when you go too thin on wall thickness.
    Too often in the bike world there is a one size fits all mentality. Most people would be aghast that you have a 5 lb titanium hardtail, but if you weigh 250 lbs, and someone who weighs 175lbs has a 3.5 lb frame, why not?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    yeah, I was kind of skeptical of that weight.
    thanks for the info on XACD though. I may go that route. Do you know if he is making the Trans-fat?
    Also, how has the 29+ softail been riding?
    what design changes would you make if you did another one?

Dirt Huffer
    WTH, asiandoctor911 who do you work for

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    yeah, I was kind of skeptical of that weight.
    thanks for the info on XACD though. I may go that route. Do you know if he is making the Trans-fat?
    Also, how has the 29+ softail been riding?
    what design changes would you make if you did another one?
    I think they are making the trans-fat. They have a stock frame pictured on their website that is a regular tired version of the trans-fat, "Ti Full Suspension Frame-03", down to the last detail, it seems.

The 29er+ is working out great. I think I built the chainstays and seatstays a bit stiff, which puts a lot of lateral stress on the shock, so I'm limiting travel to 50 or 60 mm by upping the pressure in the shock.

If I were to redo it I would shorten the chainstays, even though I don't know why; I think it may be just because it is in fashion right now. I have no problem with how they are, but it seems like everybody is going as short as possible right now, and either there is something too it, or it is just in fashion at the moment, and I feel compelled to follow suit. It makes me feel like a teenage girl wearing low rider jeans because everybody else is. I would also use lighter chainstays and seatstays, and I would move the water bottle holes around a little, I think I would also shorten the seat tube a little. What I'd really like are some 32" wheels

mtbr member
    I emailed the Alibaba company for kicks and they said they can do a custom 190mm fatbike with any geo for $880 plus $150 shipping. Definitely a fair price if the frame holds up.
    The LPG