Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock503 View Post
    Thanks vids. Im 5'7", with a 29" IS. Think I would be better off on a medium or small?
    I personally would say a small but I'm no expert.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd10ac View Post
    I personally would say a small but I'm no expert.
    I'm hoping the small would work, as it's a great price. I think the reach would work fine, but worried about my feet hitting the front tire. That pic posted of the small looks like the pedal comes very close.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    In the Amazon reviews, a 5'11" person says the Medium was a perfect fit with a 32" inseam.

So a Small might be right for you.

See if any LBS have one you can ride on.

See if any LBS will match Amazon, lol (they are $1000 locally).

mtbr member

Q-factor

Q-factor is distance (parallel to BB spindle) between crank arm faces;
    typical placement will add about 20mm to feet spacing.

2016 Argus Sport Prowheel SUOLO Q-factor measures about 230mm, depending on how cranks are scrunched onto square taper BB spindle.
    230mm approaches the fat bike upper limit
    (Race Face 100mm BB with Turbine arms also obtain 230mm).

High Q-factors reportedly cause problems for some riders;
    I only discovered that it was a consideration by reading, but
    it might explain why sit bones with the same saddle and similar riding position feel different from other, non-fat, bikes.

FSA specifies 209mm Q-factor for Comet fat crankset;
    FSA crankset for non-Sport Argus may be Mongoose-specific,
    but 209mm would suffice,
    since SUOLO crank arms clear Argus chainstays by 20mm.

I never experience heel strike against a chainstay kickstand with SUOLO crankset, but probably would with FSA Comet crankset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Im 5'11" with a 30.5 inseam and and my boys barely clear the toptube when I stand over my medium.

mtbr member
    Ah well, waited an hour too long. It jumped back up to 1k.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Ah well, waited an hour too long. It jumped back up to 1k.
    Just keep a watch on it, the prices have been jumping around like crazy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Today is 25% off Nashbar day (until midnight).

Everyone who was emailing me about "when".........it's now.

Discount shows up in cart:

Mongoose Argus Sport Fat Bike

Mongoose Argus Expert Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Ordered one last week when it was at the extra 25% then also, when it gets here will be following your set up tips. Your timing with the thread was perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blekenbleu View Post
    To me, it depends on costs and benefits.

twice

True, and i considered an Expert for Bluto, but am comfortable with QR for rear hub and hope 15x150mm front hubs will drop from current $80 or so.
    Where can I get a hub of that quality for $80 or cheaper. I just got a RST renegade for non tapered frame and I need the hub. I have a 32 hole front rim of an Argus waiting.
    I'm boss and I know it

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Here's a hope pro4 Fatsno for $87 (almost $80)

Hope Pro 4 Fatsno MTB Front Hub | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Here is Orgins8 for $77

Origin8 Fatbike Front Hub (150mm) - Brands Cycle and Fitness

stillsummer = code for additional 15% off

I have not actually tried this, so make sure it's all kosher....

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Here is 80mm wheelset for $150

150mm thru-axle front says for Bluto

Unfortunately rear axle is QR, but you could sell it, or take it apart for parts:

Fat Bike Wheelset 190mm R 150mm F 10 Speed 80mm Rims 26x4.0 [0888571012918] - $150.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-740239.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wow I wonder if it is possible to drill those rims
    I'm boss and I know it

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis_fx35 View Post
    Wow I wonder if it is possible to drill those rims
    It's a lot of work to drill those rims.

It might be better to just get a really nice set from BD already with holes:

SunRingle MuleFut 80SL Rims - Tubeless Compatible
    Top Rated Maxxis Minion Tires
    Front/Rear 150/197 Thru-Axle Hubs

PAIR of FatBike SunRingle MuleFut Tubeless Compatible Thru-Axle Wheels + FREE Tires: VeeRubber SnowShoe 120Tpi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-mulefut-wheelset-21-mx.jpg  

mtbr member
    If you have a fat bike that has a 197mm rear dropout for QR hubs (frame not suitable for thru-axles) would this rear mulefut wheel fit the rear spacing with the spacers and adapters provided.? I'm confused.
    I'm boss and I know it

mtbr member

197mm (QR) vs 109mm (thry

Quote Originally Posted by Luis_fx35 View Post
    If you have a fat bike that has a 197mm rear dropout for QR hubs (frame not suitable for thru-axles) would this rear mulefut wheel fit the rear spacing with the spacers and adapters provided.? I'm confused.
    Yes, it can be confusing, but the bikesdirect.com page includes this clarification:
    F/R HUB(HB) NOVATEC FRONT DISC HUB 32H, 15mmx150mm Thru-Axle. POLISHED ANOD. BLACK, F/HUB AXLE ALLOY 7075 xM15xP1.5, BLACK ANOD., / R/HUB(FH) T NOVATEC X12MM, REAR DISC HUB 32H. Thru-Axle:12x190MM, POLISHED ANOD. BLACK
    QR ADAPTER NOVATEC TYPE 1-QR ADAPTER L: 200mm W/10mm HUB CRMO AXLE & SIDE CAP ( BLK ) W/QUICK RELEASE
    R/HUB NOVATEC ( 5mm ) ALLOY BLK LEVER & NUT , CRMO AXLE L: 210mm FOR O.L.N.: 190mm
    .. so those Novatec hubs are designed for conversion between QR and thru (150x15mm front, 190x12mm rear) axles. Youtube has an instructional video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6O7vrQux4g

Alternatively, if you don't want those tires, Amazon sells rims with hubs already converted: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VSYXWBG

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Has anyone successfully converted the factory wheels and tires to tubeless on the Argus expert? Or have any suggestions on the easiest way to do so?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    ClubScout69 and one other guy has done it.

Club says he took video of the process.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've don't getto tubeless on stock rims
    Mongoose product development

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I found about 1mm play in my freehub on my new Argus Expert and think I tracked it down to the spacer being missing. I wonder if its a part Nashbar can send me? Also wondering if the grooves from the cassette seem excessive for only having about 40 miles on it. Just looking for some advice. Sorry if this is in the wrong place, new to this forum thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-dsc_0018.jpg  

Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-dsc_0019.jpg  

Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-dsc_0020.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by vid1900 View Post
    Rear Axle
    http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/fat...ssembly-17.jpg

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/fat...ssembly-19.jpg

This is the spacer I believe is missing. Not sure how to explain this to customer service at Nashbar.

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by MGOOSERIDER View Post

This is the spacer I believe is missing. Not sure how to explain this to customer service at Nashbar.
    I would just have them send you out a new wheel. I'd have others on here also check their hub to see if they are having the same problem as you were.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Call Nashbar, tell them about the play, get in the system, send your assigned rep (probably Thom) that link or picture by email. They will pull it off a parts bike.

Or call Mongoose, they are great to deal with too.

If you somehow get totally stuck, I can pull it out again, and probably just make one for you from stock at work.

mtbr member

freehub play and grooves

I found about 1mm play in my freehub on my new Argus Expert and think I tracked it down to the spacer being missing.
    I'm trying to imagine how, lacking that spacer, the freehub would not have fouled against the hub. I suppose the whole assembly is much like that for Quanta 190mm Quanta 190mm rear hub - bearing issue - heads up, with preload transmitted along the axle by spacers and bearing inner races.

Also wondering if the grooves from the cassette seem excessive for only having about 40 miles on it.
    My understanding is that wear increases when the cassette is insufficiently tight on an alloy freehub.
    Argus Sport freehubs are steel and effectively immune to being grooved.
    My Sport has a QR axle; not sure your thru axle freehub has a similar cassette lockring, typically wanting around 350 in-lb torque. After glop removal,
    the Sport's Suntour lockring displays 40 N.m or nearly 30 ft.lb
    (my 3/8 torque wrench maxed out @ 300 in.lb).
    Last edited by blekenbleu; 09-23-2016 at 01:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    My med sport showed up this afternoon. Just put the fork/stem in line with the bike and put bar in lightly with the stem still upside down and put the front wheel on without attaching the brake cable and jumped on my scale.

Weighted in at 35.6 with pedals, went to recheck a couple times and scales battery took this moment to die so will recheck weight later after getting it up and rolling.

Now to follow Vids tutorial in here and grease and adjust everything. Bummer that just starting rotation of night shifts so will take a few days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    So, are they really not making these in an XL? &#%*@!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MoveMaine View Post
    So, are they really not making these in an XL? &#%*@!
    The large is larger than some other brands XL, so carefully look at the sizes a few pages back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Install the Ring, Adjusting Race and Adjusting Sleeve.

Grease the Adjusting Race.

Attachment 1094418

Attachment 1094419

Attachment 1094421
    vid1900, How do you make sure everything is seated properly. I'm specifically doing this on my Malus, but while everything spins freely and feels smooth it doesn't seem to sit completely evenly even after tightening down the cap bolt. Where can you order replacements for the plastic spacers for 1&1/8th?

I followed your great instructions for installing the YST bearing, but is it normal for it to not sit completely flush on the frame when tightened down? I'll try and take a picture but it is flush in the front and slightly unflush towards the rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by theWrathofKhan View Post
    vid1900, How do you make sure everything is seated properly. I'm specifically doing this on my Malus, but while everything spins freely and feels smooth it doesn't seem to sit completely evenly even after tightening down the cap bolt. Where can you order replacements for the plastic spacers for 1&1/8th?
    Is there a small VP imprinted on the largest plastic ring?

Did you reassemble it in the correct order?

Lets see a pic of what looks uneven.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by theWrathofKhan View Post

I followed your great instructions for installing the YST bearing, but is it normal for it to not sit completely flush on the frame when tightened down? I'll try and take a picture but it is flush in the front and slightly unflush towards the rear.
    The fixed side (reverse threaded side) will be flush.

The adjustable side will be a little proud above the lock-ring.

Again, let's see a pic or two.

mtbr member

front QR

Rain yesterday; no riding. This morning, front brake was notably grabby on first application, followed by rotor scraping. Front axle had slightly shifted, despite (original) QR being as tight as manageable.
    According to Bicycle Quick-Release Mechanisms enclosed cam has greater mechanical advantage than provided exposed cam QR skewer.

Summit offers a relatively low cost enclosed cam 135mm skewer: Summit Bicycle Quick Release Skewer Rear 135mm Rear | eBay or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DUY1BQ
    Last edited by blekenbleu; 09-28-2016 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Summit 135mm enclosed cam skewer URLs

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Rain yesterday; no riding. This morning, front brake was notably grabby on first application, followed by rotor scraping. Front axle had slightly shifted, despite (original) QR being as tight as manageable.
    Classic QR problem.

The fix costs 2 Rubles (.03):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcxaJXRsEMM

mtbr member

for the want of a nail the shoe was lost

The fix costs 2 Rubles (.03)
    Yes, there is also a 5 zlotych fix.
    However, my passport expired, and Title 18, Chapter 17 of the U.S. Code proscribes altering US quarters..

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    You can just get a metric stainless steel Fender Washer and enlarge the hole.

Most forks top out with an eccentric hole, so measure before you drill or enlarge the hole.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    If you want a real 2 Ruble coin, most local coin shops have them in the Russian bin for .50 cents.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I just ordered a set of vee-rubber speedsters for the goose. I'm thinking this thing could turn into a fun commuter bike for getting to work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Title 18, Chapter 17 of the U.S. Code proscribes altering US quarters..
    You can legally alter them, you just can't try to spend them afterwords.

Otherwise Disney is breaking the law thousands of times a day
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-00crusher.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    A USA quarter is too large, but I found that a standard Arcade Token is the correct size.

Pictures at eleven....

mtbr member

loggerhead turtles, no local arcades

A USA quarter is too large
    Canadian quarter fits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd10ac View Post
    I just ordered a set of vee-rubber speedsters for the goose. I'm thinking this thing could turn into a fun commuter bike for getting to work.
    While genuinely useful on sand, their cartoonish aspect halps make fat tire bikes entertaining in other venues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    You can use this trick on any bike with QR.

Although the QR was not slipping during hard braking on my bike, I made this up as an example of how to do it for everyone else.

I tried a USA 25cent piece and it was too large to fit the recess.

I remembered that Arcade Tokens are just a hair smaller and a hair thinner than real quarters, so I pulled a few out of my change dish.

They are made of brass, so if the token is too loose on whatever brand bike you have, just hit it with a hammer. This will grow the diameter instantly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Now, the QR Skewer does not exit exactly in the center of the recess.

You need a way to transfer the center of the axle, into the center of the Token.

For this use a Transfer Punch.

A Transfer Punch is a hardened tool that you tap with a hammer to copy the exact center of a hole to another piece.

You get a whole set of them for $8 at Harbor Freight:

Transfer Punch Set - 28 Piece

Choose the punch that fits nicely inside the axle and tap it, leaving your center mark on the Token. See how it's not in the center? Good to make an indexing mark with a Sharpie so that you can put it back in the same position.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Now drill a hole through the Token with a #11 drill bit (the closest size to the skewer).

If the mark from the Transfer Punch is not deep enough to keep the drill bit from wandering, hit the spot again with your punch, but this time on the benchtop.

Thread the skewer through the Tokens, and don't forget to put the springs back on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Here you can see the whole thing installed.

Note the little black indexing mark on the Token so it went back in the same place.

If you forgot to make a mark, just spin the Token so that it finds it's natural location.

I see lots of guys on the mountain who do both sides of their forks, and others who only do the Brake side.

I guess you could do it as a preemptive strike kind of thing if you wanted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-4.jpg  

mtbr member

field-expedient layout fluid

For this use a Transfer Punch.
    Alternatively, Magic Marker the coin center, offer that up to the fork recess, then feed the QR skewer from the other side and spin it against that Magic Mark, then apply a regular center punch to that spin mark center.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Give another bump for those of us that don't have much experience with setting up bikes.

Might be the single most useful beginner thread have ever seen on any forum. No he said/she said drama that can be found in so many threads. Answers many questions that i didn't even know enough to ask.

Many thanks.
    Stop making me think, I'm busy believing over here

​2016 Argus Sport

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by knarrly View Post
    Give another bump for those of us that don't have much experience with setting up bikes.
    Soon you will have lots of experience.

Nothing beats the satisfaction of doing it yourself, because then you know that no shortcuts were taken.

Might be the single most useful beginner thread have ever seen on any forum. No he said/she said drama that can be found in so many threads.
    A lot of that drama is people trying to validate the purchase choices they have made.

I don't fall in love with a **brand**. I don't have any logos tattooed on my body. It's all just Chinese made stuff to me.

Expensive bikes are fun, cheap bikes are fun. Other than fun, the only thing we should care about is if a bike is the best value in it's market segment.

Many thanks.
    You are very welcome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Alternatively, Magic Marker the coin center, offer that up to the fork recess, then feed the QR skewer from the other side and spin it against that Magic Mark, then apply a regular center punch to that spin mark center.
    That works too!

mtbr member

diminishing returns

Replacing the 2016 Argus Sport front Kenda Juggernaut Sport 4.0 with a Pro 4.50 usefully improved handling on beach sand.

Left: Pro 4.50; Right: Sport 4.0
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-pro45_sport40.jpg

However, more rear traction was wanted for traversing slopes, and there was still the occasional wipeout when e.g. changing direction on downslopes. At best, most nominal 4.6-4.9 tires reportedly measure only a few percent more than Pro 4.50's 111mm width at useful pressures on 100mm rims. (FWIW, 2016 Argus Sport rim widths are approx 95.7mm inside and 101.5mm outside.)

Vee evidently decided to rehabilitate Snowshoes' reputation by offering 2XL sized to challenge many fat bike forks and frames.

Left: Sport 4.0; Right: 2XL
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-sport2xl.jpg

Left: Pro 4.50; Right: 2XL
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-pro2xl.jpg

This Snowshoe 2XL weighs 1670 grams vs 1460 for the Pro 4.50.
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-grams2xl.jpg

Given approx 10 lb weight for front wheel+tube+tire, another half pound is not noticed.
    Clearance between Sport forks and 2XL sidewalls is about 6mm:
    Name:  clearance2XL.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  40.5 KB
    .. with about 3mm clearance between corner tread knobs and crown.

Maintenance tip: neither should tire talc be considered optional
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-tiretalc.jpg
    nor should it simply be sprinkled into the tire. Spread it around
    e.g. using paper towel, including tubes and inside sidewalls. Before talc, reduce chances for sand grains to perforate tubes by scrupulously cleaning tubes, inner wheels and tires (I use old terry dish cloths).

After musical tires, the most immediately noticeable change was more plush ride over small bumps, thanks to Pro 4.50 replacing rear Sport 4.0. Despite having seemingly plasticky and less supple sidewalls than the Pro 4.50, Vee's 2XL rides similarly. The 2XL+Pro 4.50 combination has less rolling resistance on soft wet sand than did Pro 4.50+Sport 4.0, with the 2XL @ 5psi, Pro @ 6psi and Sport @ 7psi.

With chest and sinus congestion, conclusions about traction and handling are tentative except that the Pro 4.50 improves rear grip in sand over the Sport 4.0. In front, the 2XL flings more sand into the air (and my face) than did the Pro 4.50. 2XL tread may have been designed less for steering and lateral grip than longitudinal traction.
    Last edited by blekenbleu; 10-01-2016 at 07:36 AM. Reason: conclusions

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Great writeup!

mtbr member

taller rear

Great writeup!
    Thanks to you for a great thread.

I forgot to mention, replacing 4.0 with 4.50 rear tire effectively shifts ratios;
    11-tooth cog will be less used. However, generally reduced rolling resistance means higher average speed and no increased use of 36-tooth cog.

I had anticipated replacing 30T chain ring with 28T, but no need.

I also forgot to mention that,
    despite non-magnetic (stainless) Presta valve stem,
    corrosion was developing beneath rear rim retaining nut..?
    Last edited by blekenbleu; 10-01-2016 at 09:32 AM. Reason: clarification and rear Presta corrosion

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

I also forgot to mention that,
    despite non-magnetic (stainless) Presta valve stem,
    corrosion was developing beneath rear rim retaining nut..?

Stainless and Aluminum are NOT friends when damp.

Guys who install antennas always have to put no-ox grease on fittings where aluminum touches stainless bolts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-galvanicseries.gif  

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Well my tear down and set up started well, pull the fork and cleaned and greased the bearings, no problem. took apart and greased the front wheel bearings and adjust tension, all good.

And then...............

Pulled the rear wheel and set aside, pulled the off side crank bolt and insert the crank puller and went to remove the crank, thought "wow they really torque them on there" but what can go wrong the crank puller is fool proof..............not so much. Started cranking in the push bolt and it actually threaded itself into the shaft that has the crank retaining bolt instead of pushing the crank off. Should have stopped cranking sooner but didn't think that it was possible for that to happen. Crank never moved a mm.

I assumed (and still do) that there is just one size crank puller since the main body threaded right into the crank until it bottomed out.

Any suggestions? will probably find a beefy washer that will fit under the push bolt and try again if no other option.

On a side note, for ease of getting grease just where i want it to go will be hitting the vet supply and getting a syringe to use, be easier to be neat that way.

​2016 Argus Sport

mtbr member
    There is usually a little interchangeable cap on the puller, one smaller and one bigger to match the spindle size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Pulled the rear wheel and set aside, pulled the off side crank bolt and insert the crank puller and went to remove the crank, thought "wow they really torque them on there" but what can go wrong the crank puller is fool proof..............not so much. Started cranking in the push bolt and it actually threaded itself into the shaft that has the crank retaining bolt instead of pushing the crank off. Should have stopped cranking sooner but didn't think that it was possible for that to happen. Crank never moved a mm.

I assumed (and still do) that there is just one size crank puller since the main body threaded right into the crank until it bottomed out.

Any suggestions? will probably find a beefy washer that will fit under the push bolt and try again if no other option.
    That sounds REALLY stuck on.

If you put a washer at the end, it might get forced down the threads from all that pressure.

I'm going to recommend you take it to the LBS and give them the $5 to do it. No shame in that. They might have to re-thread it for you if the threads got torn up on the axle.

Once they pull it, and you grease it upon reinstallation, it will come off easily for future service.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I pulled the threads out of my NDS crank arm the first time I tried removed it, even with the proper tool. All subsequent times I had to use a pulley puller to get it off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Argus: A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly

I messed the threading up on the non chain side crankset arm trying to pull them. Just left it alone for now been trying to find a replacement part tho mongoose/pacific cycling wants me to remove and send it to them for warranty replacement. Not sure they would warranty it cause I'm he one that damaged it. Afraid I may not get it back if they don't. Asked if I could just buy one informed me they don't sell them only warranty of parts. They recommend I go to a local bike shop and gave me the parts spec to use for a replacement part.

I looked all over the net looking for just the arm no luck and really unsure of the sellers of 951 cranksets I have found.
    Info for crankset
    CR3 170 B 22/30/40 B N N SUOLO-951

Anyone know a good replacement for this crankset. I would like to fully remove it and add NOx to BB threads for preventive maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Mongoose is pretty liberal with their warranty.

A brand new arm should not be on so tight that a puller can not remove it without stripping all the threads.

I'd send the arm back and get a brand new replacement.

vmk
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

27.5+ commuter

Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-1-dsc_0488.jpg

mtbr member
    Those tires are way too skinny, MHO.
    I'm boss and I know it

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Well got thru my crank pulling issues and took it out for the first quick ride. First impression is that this is just the bike i was looking for.

Have to put some more time in but probably go with a shorter stem and riser bar as in stock form i'm stetched out pretty far (have a short torso compared to most)

but such is life unless you know yourself well and custom spec your bike.

Mech disc aren't quite as strong as thought they would be but will put some miles in and see if i can tweek my set up of them as i break the bike in.

​2016 Argus Sport

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vmk View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSC_0488.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	1098594
    bravo!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Just ordered my Argus sport as my first fat bike this thread has been amazing. I get it today its actually at my house currently waiting on me. From the research I did and this thread sounds like it's a great bike for the money. I have a Raleigh Kodiak 2 as my full suspension bike it was a "budget" bike as well and has been more than worth the money. I will be doing some upgrades on it this winte. The Fat bike is to do some snow riding this winter just to stay active and something else to do instead of sitting around the house. Im still learning on the lingo and technical aspects of the bike world its a lot to take in. Hoping to do some upgrades on the argus also just not sure where to start on it yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Great instructions. I'm looking at the 2016(green) Argus Sport.
    I'm 5'7" with a 31" inseam and wondering if I should get a medium or small?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Medium with a short stem

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
    Great instructions. I'm looking at the 2016(green) Argus Sport.
    I'm 5'7" with a 31" inseam and wondering if I should get a medium or small?
    I'm 5'6 with about a 29ish-30 inseam I got a small and it feels great for me however I am not a professional on fitment with bikes I just know it feels great riding on a small frame at my size love the bike also!!!

mtbr member

after the flood

Stainless and Aluminum are NOT friends when damp.
    Public beach access has been resumed;
    waiting for low tide maximized available stretches.
    This was shot at the first groyne for which I dismounted;
    most upper ends had been beneath sand before Matthew.
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-oct20beach.jpg
    Being my first fat ride in over 2 weeks,
    the Fzik Kurve saddle initially felt really hard
    but comfortable within a few minutes.
    Being among the first to venture back onto the beach,
    sand was quite smooth but soft under a crust
    on which the Snowshoe XXL front tire floated nicely,
    but it has developed a disappointing amount of runout.

mtbr member
    Just a heads up for guys looking for a Large. I've been keeping my eye on the Small to drop back down to 550 for a couple months with no luck.

$556
    Mongoose Argus 26" Fat Tire Bike, Dark Teal, 20"/Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DW8T052..._mLadyb8H86Q7M

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Just a heads up for guys looking for a Large. I've been keeping my eye on the Small to drop back down to 550 for a couple months with no luck.

$556
    Mongoose Argus 26" Fat Tire Bike, Dark Teal, 20"/Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DW8T052..._mLadyb8H86Q7M
    That's a good deal on the large never knew those dropped that low. I prefer the colors of the sport but obviously the components on the argus is better

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Looks like the Argus Sport is no longer being sold by Nashbar (thanks for pointing that out, Tony).

I hope everyone got one while the getting was good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Looks like the Argus Sport is no longer being sold by Nashbar (thanks for pointing that out, Tony).

I hope everyone got one while the getting was good.
    Yea I went back to the site to get some specs on it and saw it was gone that was a few days after I got mine so I must have just made it

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have this exact Argus and want to do the same thing with the wheelset! How much was that set of wheels and where did you get it, please?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by vmk View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSC_0488.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	1098594
    Where did you get these wheels!!!???? I want a set for my ARGUS!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Nashbar has just dropped the price on the Bluto equipped, Argus Expert to $1079 w/free shipping.

Mongoose Argus Expert Fat Bike

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I've had to catch up with this thread, and all of the info and how-to's are awesome.

my friend is loving his Argus sport, but after last weekends snow (and another 6-9 in this coming weekend, he's finding that the traction and stability limit of the stock juggernaut 4.0 is below what he'd like for blazing trail in deeper snow.

I've had better luck on my rig with 4.8 Bud/Lou combo, but i'm not sure what the size limit is on the sport frame. from pictures earlier in the thread it appears there's clearance there, but what's the largest rear tire that fits with the stock drivetrain?

mtbr member
    i like the experts F+R thru axles
    gold rims rock
    bluto's nice

mtbr member

largest rear tire

Quote Originally Posted by Madcityfatty View Post
    what's the largest rear tire that fits with the stock drivetrain?
    An XXL (26x5.05) is too large (barely fits in front)
    and a 26x4.5 fits easily, so 26x4.8 is probably near the limit.

You could try temporarily stuffing your 4.8 rear wheel into his Argus..

mtbr member
    Hey all,

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Mongoose Argus Expert from Amazon. I'm sure this question has been asked/answered here before, but I did look through and tried to find the answer and couldn't.
    Does anyone have the weight of the 2017 model with the Bluto fork? I'm between the Mongoose and the DBack Oso Grande. I love the Bluto on the Argus, but wondering if it's significantly heavier than the DBack with no suspension, even though the DBack has wider tires. REI has the Oso Grande listed as like 34# in medium size, which I thought was pretty reasonable.
    Also it's hard to find sizing info on the Mongoose site. I'm 6'1" basically, with around a 33" inseam. Would the large be too big?

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer my questions.

mtbr member
    Well hell, there was one left on Amazon in a large, so I pulled the damn trigger. Gonna be here Tues. I know I didn't get the best deal at almost $1600, but it's starting to get pretty snowy here in NH, so it's time. It was a really, really hard decision between the Argus and the Oso Grande, partly because the Oso was cheaper, and partly because I like the slacker HTA on the Oso. But I really wanted a suspension fork, so there it is. Plus I like the black frame of the Argus better. Matches my Stache 9.6 frame a little better.
    Hopefully it's not over 40lbs. Lol.

So my next question would be: has anyone tried setting up the Juggernauts that come on the 2017 model tubeless on those rims? And if so, how did it go?

Thanks guys; looking forward to taking a spin on my first real fat bike.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Cool to hear you got the Argus, Large should fit you well, may just need some fine tuning with stem length and so on. I want to say all stock it's around 34#'s, I switched mine to a 1x with a wolftooth narrow wide ring and it's just over 33#'s. But I have a few other changes too. we've set those wheels and tires up tubeless in the office here, it's not the easiest, getting as much gorilla tape to contact the outer parts of the rim is essential. Getto tubeless would be no problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    Cool to hear you got the Argus, Large should fit you well, may just need some fine tuning with stem length and so on. I want to say all stock it's around 34#'s, I switched mine to a 1x with a wolftooth narrow wide ring and it's just over 33#'s. But I have a few other changes too. we've set those wheels and tires up tubeless in the office here, it's not the easiest, getting as much gorilla tape to contact the outer parts of the rim is essential. Getto tubeless would be no problem.
    Good to hear on the size. And yeah I figured I'd just shorten the stem, which I would likely do anyway.

Thanks for the input on tubeless. I'd really like to do it, but I may not bother until next season. Just ride it like it is and see how it goes. I work in a shop so get deals on wheels so maybe next year if I like it I'll throw some Bontrager Jackalopes on it or something else meant for tubeless.

mtbr member

Time flies: 2015 vs 2016 vs 2017 Argus

Looks like the Argus Sport is no longer being sold by Nashbar
    2016 Argus Sport specifications are becoming harder to find..

Has anyone ridden a 2017 Sport?
    Live comparison opportunities among vintages?

mtbr member
    Hey all,

So Argus got its first ride today. Was super fun, for the most part. However, I already busted the freehub; somehow a chunk came out of it and ended up in the pawls and it stopped functioning as it should. Sooo... here's my question:
    Anyone know what hubs are on the 2017 Argus Expert? There aren't any markings on the hubs, and I need to know so I can order the proper freehub body.
    My shop and I got it working again, but who knows for how long. I'll try to be mellow on it.

mtbr member

re: first ride freehub breakage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdirragon View Post
    I need to know so I can order the proper freehub body.
    If purchased from Nashbar, they provide strong customer support
    and should provide a replacement.
    Contact Information

Otherwise, Pacific Bicycle should handle early life failures;
    you could contact them, including serial number and invoice date:
    Contact Us ? Pacific Cycle

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdirragon View Post
    Hey all,

So Argus got its first ride today. Was super fun, for the most part. However, I already busted the freehub; somehow a chunk came out of it and ended up in the pawls and it stopped functioning as it should. Sooo... here's my question:
    Anyone know what hubs are on the 2017 Argus Expert? There aren't any markings on the hubs, and I need to know so I can order the proper freehub body.
    My shop and I got it working again, but who knows for how long. I'll try to be mellow on it.
    I'm surprised you had this issue. I have been riding mine for a few months now and haven't had any issues with it at all.

mtbr member

Lauf Carbonara

I could be tempted by a cheap (used?) Lauf Carbonara fork
    Worldwide Cyclery offered 15% introductory discount
    from what was already competitive pricing.
    Gregg Kato's 'First Look: 2015 Mongoose Argus' claims that it has a
    "0 stack headset that allows you to put in an aftermarket headset adapter
    so you can upgrade it to a tapered fork."
    First Look: 2015 Mongoose Argus alloy framed fat bike - Mtbr.com

.. but that is not quite accurate, at least for 2016 Argus Sport.

Cane Creek EC44/40 lower bearing cup has an insertion depth of 12.mm,
    but the Argus Sport head tube lower insertion depth is only a little over 9mm.

A belt sander removed nearly 3mm from EC44/40 cup insertion depth,
    then finished using a flat file and deburring tool.
    Argus fork and lower headset bearing located EC44/40 cup,
    then held square steel bar around cup lip to gradually tap in place
    using a small machine hammer.
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-ec4440.jpg

Cane Creek's 40-series 52/40 crown race is too tight for my Carbonara;
    I did not think to first measure Lauf's crown diameter..
    Should probably instead use Cane Creek alloy 110-Series
    instead of steel 40-series.
    Cane Creek also has a 10-series polymer crown race,
    but it lacks the seal of 40 and 110 series.
    FWIW, these are not actually crown races,
    since Cane Creek uses cartridge bearings,
    which have their own inner and outer races.

Argus spokes ~ 264mm and could be ~ 2mm longer.
    Spoke wrench is #2 or "C" (red).
    Park Tool spoke tension 25-26 left/disc side, 23-25 right.

Argus fork with skewer and top cap 1070g
    Argus wheel & hub w/disc w/o liner 1760g
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-argusrim.jpg
    Argus hub 300g
    - spoke hole center radius 29mm
    - flanges are 88.5mm apart

Carbonara with axle and expander plug 1200g
    Argus wheel + DT Swiss hub 1680g
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-swissrim.jpg
    DT Swiss 350 hub 216g
    - spoke hole center radius 29mm
    - flanges are 96mm apart.

Both hubs have the same 29mm spoke hole center radius;
    spokes can be reused.
    The Internet has any number of wheel lacing How-To's
    that include "key spoke" discussion, but IMO there are 8 "key spokes",
    since the hub flops around until they are in place.
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-keyspokes.jpg
    After those are in place, I proceed by installing successive adjacent spokes,
    paired for third crosses to minimize spoke bending.
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-cross3.jpg
    During reassembly, I coated the valve stem hole in the rim with gasket shellac
    to combat corrosion.

The Lauf fork is currently installed without cutting,
    using a 40mm carbon fiber headset spacer.
    Unlike others, Wheels Manufacturing's spacer clears Lauf's steerer tube.
    For the stem, Lauf's instructions specify carbon assembly compound,
    which was new to me.

Having converted to Avid BB7 calipers,
    I need a 200mm rotor and 20mm post spacer.
    Last edited by blekenbleu; 01-15-2017 at 07:45 PM. Reason: line breaks

mtbr member

rear bearing adjustment

Side play was discovered at rear axle while testing after 200mm rotor installation for Carbonara. After reviewing vid1900's rear hub messages Argus: A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly, I dropped the rear wheel, found my 15mm cone wrench and 17mm box wrench, pulled the brake side rubber seal and started fiddling.

Tightening the lock nut while holding the cone nut reduces end play from slightly loose to binding. The cone nut needed to be backed off about 1/2 turn from finger tight before tightening the lock nut.

While this is my first fat bike, I have been maintaining road and mountain bikes for a long time, and am concerned that this hub seems relatively weak. A 190mm axle may stretch more than do 135mm axles, but this was after less than 500 miles. It had previously been adjusted when new then a week or so later.

Planning ahead, the DT Swiss 350 Big Ride seems the lowest cost 190mm QR hub with strong reputation...

FWIW, I was initially concerned that Argus' medium frame might be too small, but standover clearance is much reduced after tire and fork upgrades.

mtbr member

Cut Bars on short stem

Removing 30mm from each end of original (2016 Argus Sport) Mongoose bars, replacing original stem with the shortest cheap stem on eBay and clamping that on uncut Lauf steerer tube puts grips about where I want them.
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-cutbars.jpg
    Last edited by blekenbleu; 02-06-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member

saddle tuning?

I may have replaced the stock Argus Sport saddle too hastily.

Until now, my favorite saddles have been
    Fi'zi:k's discontinued Kurve Bull, which is unpadded and was expensive,
    and WTB's more affordable Speed Comp, which is too padded.
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-wtbspeed.jpg
    (I might prefer, but have not tried, pricier Speed models.)

Those two saddles have in common cutouts in their composite/polymer shells,
    so that covers behave like miniature hammocks for sit bones.
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-wtbcutouts.jpg

My Kurve Bull began creaking, so swapped on the Speed
    while the Fi'zi:k gets disassembled, cleaned, lubed and reassembled.
    When fetching the Speed, I noticed that the Mongoose saddle has
    1) screws to facilitate disassembly and reassembly
    2) star-shaped slices started in the shell beneath sit bones
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-mongoosesaddle.jpg
    Perhaps those slices could be enlarged and/or cut out for improved sit bone conformity.

mtbr member
    screws to facilitate disassembly and reassembly
    ..or not. Screws merely secure trim, which helps staples resist being pulled loose.
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-saddlescrews.jpg
    Tuning surgery from the bottom will be less fun.

mtbr member

tuning in progress

Tuning surgery from the bottom will be less fun.
    Polymer shell is soft enough for X-acto blade to cut
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-x-acto.jpg

mtbr member

rear fender

Kenda Pro 4.5 throws more sand at BB and chainwheel than did Sport 4.0.
    BMI Karts & Parts sells 29" X 4.5" fenders in 2 colors on eBay.
    29" X 4.5" Red Motorcycle Fender Dirt Bike Mini Bike Custom Chopper New | eBay

Fender radius is tight for Pro 4.5 but works cut down.
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-fender.jpegArgus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-fendernut.jpg
    Last edited by blekenbleu; 02-11-2017 at 01:53 PM. Reason: not even

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I just snagged a Medium 2017 Argus Comp on Amazon for $844 - the priced jump backed up to over $1k after I bought it. According to camelizer price watch thats the lowest it's been - score!

LBS had no clue about the bike - dismissed me as soon as I said mongoose. Look forward to delivery next week!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    If it weren't for a new bare frame I recently purchased, I'd be right there with you. Great bike. Don't listen to the snobs, the Argus is a lot of bike and on par with the big three. It's not a Dolo (which I also have).

mtbr member

back pedal

2. Using a 1/2" Socket Wrench, loosen the Lock Nut 2 turns.
    Thanks to vid for his pedal posts: Argus: A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly

My lock nuts are actually 12mm.

Returning balls to greased bearing races is easiest using a grease injector (pointless marinade syringe or horse syringe). Cleaned balls stick to injector tip grease, then stick better to the greased races.

I would not have expected those pedals to be rebuildable,
    and resin pedals are much kinder to shins than are alloy.

FWIW, creaking thought to come from left pedal actually came from right square taper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

I would not have expected those pedals to be rebuildable,

I love when things are serviceable!

mtbr member

derailleur hanger

You probably want to carry a spare with you on the trails.
    Wheels Manufacturing sells their version #94 for $22
    Not wanting to wait, I bought mine from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017SLRZR4

It was stiffer than the original, but also brittle, breaking while straightening a second time.
    Probably cast and neither forged nor heat-treated.
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-brokenhanger.jpg
    Somewhat cheaper replacement can be found on eBay by searching for Timberline instead of 94 (but not so cheap as AliExpress).
    Last edited by blekenbleu; 07-14-2017 at 04:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Maybe someone here can help me?
    Going to purchase the blue Mongoose Argus Comp in 17"/medium from Amazon. I've noticed that for the same money I can purchase the flat black Argus Expert in 19"/Large. Much better bike I presume?

The Expert in medium is about $500. more and out of my budget.
    I'm 5'11 tall with a 32" inseam and was wondering if the 19" large would be too big for me?
    I've seen the Mongoose charts and was just hoping for some real world advice here.
    Thanks for the help.

mtbr member

medium

Quote Originally Posted by Log Home View Post
    Going to purchase the blue Mongoose Argus Comp in 17"/medium from Amazon. I've noticed that for the same money I can purchase the flat black Argus Expert in 19"/Large. Much better bike I presume?
    Yes, search this thread for Expert.

I'm 5'11 tall with a 32" inseam and was wondering if the 19" large would be too big for me?[
    Yes, search this thread for medium. The Expert adds a Bluto fork, which effectively raises that top bar for suspension travel. I share your dimensions, and putting larger tires on a medium Sport with rigid fork put that top bar pretty close for me.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast