Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by vid1900 View Post
    Now move the 2 business cards to the side of the disc with the moving Pad.

Gently squeeze the Brake Arm until it holds the cards in place. Tighten the Cable Clamp in this position.

Now let go of the Brake Arm, remove the cards and spin the wheel in the direction it normally rides in (there is a little arrow etched on the Disc if you are confused because the bike is upsidedown).

Wallah! You now have a properly adjusted Disc Brake.

Attachment 1089952

Remember when I said to spin the wheel in the proper direction? That is because the Brake Discs are mounted to a Flange that is threaded to the Wheel Hub.

After a bike is used a few times, those Flanges are really spun down tight, from all the braking torque.

But when a bike is fresh from the box, the Flanges might actually unscrew themselves themselves if you spin the wheel backwards and then apply the Brake Arm.

Pay attention to this.

Attachment 1089963
    The tutorial on setting up this particular set of calipers was excellent! After getting everything just right and climbing a very steep and approximately 1/4 mile long Hill (and testing the granny gear), i rolled down the hill and bedded the brakes. They went from marginal to satisfactory after that and another few miles of normal riding.

The only issue i have with them is that even though the action and braking power is good, they're loud. Any tips on reducing noise? The only other disc brakes I've used have been hydraulic and they're pretty quiet.

They don't squeal so much as they have a loud scraping sound. I'm guessing the pads aren't that great. As long as they work and don't wake the neighbors I'm ok, but I'm thinking that upgrading them would be a really good idea for an early upgrade.

mtbr member

bottom bracket tool

Quote Originally Posted by Madcityfatty View Post
    which tool is the right one for the Bottom bracket? it looks like a 20 tooth tool.
    At least for this bike's bottom bracket, I suggest Park's BBT-32C
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VS9ZBU
    It is thin enough that a few washers and 8mm crank bolt keeps it engaged in 20 tooth bottom bracket retainers.
    BBT-32C's drawback is needing a 32mm wrench
    (but you may already have that for headsets)
    or substantial Crescent wrench.

mtbr member
    I'm guessing the pads aren't that great. As long as they work and don't wake the neighbors I'm ok, but I'm thinking that upgrading them would be a really good idea for an early upgrade.
    I don't find my stock brakes much louder than tire treads on pavement at speeds that resonate with forks / stays. Upgrading pads and keeping replaced ones as spares is prudent; friction material has been known to delaminate from backing plates.

mtbr member

Argus Expert vs Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Brickell View Post
    Is it really worth to get the expert over the non ?
    That will depend on your usage.

Since this was my first fat bike, know no other fat bike owners and had only seen one previously at a distance, I could not justify to myself spending more than $500 for a bike that might not work appreciably better on beach sand than my old Trek with 29x2.5 tires.

Now that I know this bike does well, but also how directly those straight front forks transmit shocks from rough trampled sand at speed, then I guess that an Expert might be worthwhile for this environment. Replacing that 26x4.0 Kenda Sport in front with a 26x4.5 Pro certainly helped, and since I do occasionally push/drag the bike up loose steep banks, more weight would not be very welcome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    The only issue i have with them is that even though the action and braking power is good, they're loud. Any tips on reducing noise? The only other disc brakes I've used have been hydraulic and they're pretty quiet.

They don't squeal so much as they have a loud scraping sound. I'm guessing the pads aren't that great. As long as they work and don't wake the neighbors I'm ok, but I'm thinking that upgrading them would be a really good idea for an early upgrade.
    I don't hear them as a squeal either, but more of a smooth "schuff" sound.

Different rotors have a different resonance.

The rotors that I like the sound of the most are those Avid G3, and they are only $5 shipped if you ever bend up your stock ones beyond fixing.

Avid G3 HS1 Brake Rotor 180mm with 6 Blots for Bike Cycling MTB BB5 BB7 | eBay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-77427_1_c.jpg  

Last edited by vid1900; 08-28-2016 at 07:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I picked up a 2015 Argus on Amazon (teal one) and have a question. Can the stock rims run presta tubes or do I have to only use the schrader valve type tubes it came with.

mtbr member

Presta stems in Shrader rims

Quote Originally Posted by Jd10ac View Post
    Can the stock rims run presta tubes or do I have to only use the schrader valve type tubes it came with.
    Presta-Shrader adapters are available: metal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FNM3FBQ or rubber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XNZU1S

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by blekenbleu View Post
    Presta-Shrader adapters are available: metal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FNM3FBQ or rubber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XNZU1S
    Awesome, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I picked up a 2015 Argus on Amazon (teal one)
    That's a cool color!

Post some pics if you get a chance.

CS2
    mtbr member
    It would, IMO, be a much better deal with a better rear derailleur and Bluto forks for $1000. In other words, it is basically sound but benefits from upgrades.
    What bike wouldn't be a better deal with better components for less money?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    What bike wouldn't be a better deal with better components for less money?
    Agreed, but debate the practical value of other components boosting the premium for Expert over Sport.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Here's the only pic I have right now but I will take some more the next time I take her out.Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-unnamed.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Keep an eye on amazon, I was able to get this one for 471 shipped last week, I think it has a little better components than the sport model.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Here's the only pic I have right now but I will take some more the next time I take her out.
    How close was the bike to the description on Mongoose's website?

Did it really come with Funn handlebars? FSA bottom bracket?

What size/brand tires?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    How close was the bike to the description on Mongoose's website?

Did it really come with Funn handlebars? FSA bottom bracket?

What size/brand tires?
    It has everything the website said except it's a 2x10 and the tires are 4" vee rubbers

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-20160829_184014.jpgArgus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-20160829_184026.jpgArgus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-20160829_184035.jpgArgus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-20160829_184058.jpgArgus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-20160829_184104.jpgArgus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-20160829_184112.jpg

I just went out to the garage and snapped a few more pics, let me know if there is anything else you want to see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Also please excuse my crappy cell phone pics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Also please excuse my crappy cell phone pics.
    Better than anything else currently on the Web about the Argus 2015.

Great job!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Better than anything else currently on the Web about the Argus 2015.

Great job!
    Thanks, It's my first fat bike and in my opinion it's awesome.

mtbr member

2015 Argus

I think it has a little better components than the sport model.
    Yes, the 2015 Argus seemed more comparable to a 2016 Argus Comp than Sport.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Today is Nashbar 22% off day!

(strange percentage, yes?)

Argus Expert $1248 shipped free

Argus Sport $467 shipped free

Mongoose Argus Sport Fat Bike

mtbr member

derailleur hanger 94

Although there is always a chance you could get a bad derailleur, the existing one works perfectly well - once properly set up.
    The replacement Shimano RD-M770 GS had been shifting very nicely for a week when alignment suddenly went off by 1-2 cogs.
    The hanger had bent with no particular provocation, so was replaced by a Forest Byke 94, which wanted some intial alignment.

beer thief
    Rear brake
    Take a look at the under cut of that weld. Keep an eye on that spot for cracking. High stress area.
    http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/fat...ssembly-22.jpg

beer thief
    looks like a great rig for the money
    Last edited by radair; 08-31-2016 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Double post

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Take a look at the under cut of that weld. Keep an eye on that spot for cracking. High stress area.
    It looks like an undercut in that photo ( it looks like the weld did not penetrate) , but that shadow is actually a flange on the rear casting to give the weld more surface area.

This photo might show the flange better:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-argus.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Received and built my Argus Sport from Nashbar tonight. Great tutorial vid1900, 3rd bike I've built but you made it nice and simple. Took it out for a spin and it feels a good bit lighter than my Malus. Looking forward to not always worrying about bending the rear axle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gl21133 View Post
    Received and built my Argus Sport from Nashbar tonight. Great tutorial vid1900, 3rd bike I've built but you made it nice and simple. Took it out for a spin and it feels a good bit lighter than my Malus. Looking forward to not always worrying about bending the rear axle.

There is a 22% discount running today, so if your Nashbar price was higher than that, they will credit you if you call it in. They are super nice about it.

Congrats on the new bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I caught it at 25% off last week. I bought a Nashbar seat and bars with the intent of replacing those on my Malus before I pass it on to my dad, but I ended up putting the seat on the Argus. Probably the only upgrade I'll be doing for a while, seems like a fairly well set up entry level bike out of the gate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I got to put in about three miles of street riding today. I'm really digging the bike but the brakes don't seem to be super strong but this is my first pair of hydraulic discs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I got to put in about three miles of street riding today. I'm really digging the bike but the brakes don't seem to be super strong but this is my first pair of hydraulic discs.
    When you squeeze the brake lever, is there less than 3/4" of space between the lever and the grip?

mtbr member

2015 disc brakes

brakes don't seem to be super strong
    160mm rotors? 2016 Argus has 180mm. 20mm post spacer kit, 180mm IS bracket and 180mm rotors can be found on ebay for under $60.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    160mm rotors? 2016 Argus has 180mm. 20mm post spacer kit, 180mm IS bracket and 180mm rotors can be found on ebay for under $60.
    Exactly.

Front and rear adapters @$3.50 each =$7

All Sizes MTB Bicycle Bike Disc Brake Mount Adaptor for Front Caliper PM to Is | eBay

Pair of 180mm Avid rotors @$5 each = $10

Avid G3 HS1 Brake Rotor 180mm with 6 Blots for Bike Cycling MTB BB5 BB7 | eBay

But I'd still try to figure out the current 160mm brakes first.

Unless you are a really heavy rider, it seems like 160mm would be plenty on the street.

mtbr member
    Front and rear adapters @$3.50 each =$7
    All Sizes MTB Bicycle Bike Disc Brake Mount Adaptor for Front Caliper PM to Is | eBay

Unless you are a really heavy rider, it seems like 160mm would be plenty on the street.
    Great find for those caliper brackets; thanks!

As another first-time fat bike owner, I blame rotational inertia.
    I have another, heavier bike with similar mechanical calipers
    more effective with 160mm rotors than Argus with 180mm rotors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    When you squeeze the brake lever, is there less than 3/4" of space between the lever and the grip?
    No, the lever stops well before 3/4 of space. I am a very heavy rider at 250lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    No, the lever stops well before 3/4 of space. I am a very heavy rider at 250lbs.
    250# is good sized, but I would not call that "very heavy" around these parts.

Anyway, you can totally lock up the brakes when you are riding fast, correct?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I don't think I can fully lock the brakes when I am riding but I honestly don't think I have grabbed the levers that hard. I will have to try it as soon as this wind dies down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I don't think I can fully lock the brakes when I am riding but I honestly don't think I have grabbed the levers that hard. I will have to try it as soon as this wind dies down.
    Try it carefully, but you should be able to lock up the brakes. (lock the rear before you lock the front, move your ass rearwards to keep gravity on your side....put your helmet on if you are not practiced in hard braking)

If that bike was the one that was returned on Amazon a few weeks ago, then there is the possibility that the pads got contaminated before you received it.

Double check that none of the mineral oil has ever leaked from the lines.

New pads are cheap, just make sure you clean the rotors with auto brake cleaner BEFORE you contaminate the new pads.

Don't get brake cleaner on any painted surface!!!!!! Spray it on a clean rag and wipe.
    Last edited by vid1900; 09-02-2016 at 01:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    To the best of my knowledge the bike was brand new, if it was a return it was the best repackaging job I have ever seen.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    To the best of my knowledge the bike was brand new, if it was a return it was the best repackaging job I have ever seen.

Excellent.

It said in the listing that it was used/returned, so if yours said it was new, I'm sure it was.

Now get out there and practice keeping control on hard braking. It won't take long, and it's a skill you need to have.

Make sure those brakes can lock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Excellent.

It said in the listing that it was used/returned, so if yours said it was new, I'm sure it was.

Now get out there and practice keeping control on hard braking. It won't take long, and it's a skill you need to have.

Make sure those brakes can lock.
    My plan is to put in a few more miles tomorrow, weather permitting.

mtbr member

tinkling

Perhaps attributable to loose spokes,
    a noise became noticeable over tread roar a couple of days ago.
    Having not thought to check spoke tensions earlier
    and sufficiently recovered from Hermine,
    I just checked them with Park's TM-1:
    24-26 on rear driven side, 22-24 on rear brake side,
    25-27 on front brake side, 23-25 on front right.
    A few outliers were tweaked to those limits;
    tinkling may now be slightly attenuated.

Should those rear tensions should be closer to those in front...?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I did a little riding today and nope the brake will not lock up. I bought a bleed kit and that didn't help either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I did a little riding today and nope the brake will not lock up. I bought a bleed kit and that didn't help either.

I'll look tomorrow and see if I can find someone with Tektro brakes on the mountain and check it out.

Maybe it's some new safety feature to keep kids from going over their bars? :.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'll look tomorrow and see if I can find someone with Tektro brakes on the mountain and check it out.

Maybe it's some new safety feature to keep kids from going over their bars? :.)
    Thanks, I learned my lesson about front brakes years ago when I started riding dirt bikes.

mtbr member

glazed Tektro pads?

nope the brake will not lock up.
    My guess is glazed pads, not that it has happened to Tektro pads on my bike so equipped. Scuffing glazed pads with 200 grit sandpaper could cure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Perhaps attributable to loose spokes,
    a noise became noticeable over tread roar a couple of days ago.
    Are the reflectors still installed?

They can resonate at certain speeds.

If so, pull the reflector back, so the center does not touch the spokes (or use a dab of hot glue at the center.

mtbr member

wheel reflector resonance

Are the reflectors still installed?
    Thanks, that motivated me to remove them; screws are already rusting.
    Tinkling is still audible. I'm beginning to suspect brake pads.
    Unlike BB7s to which I will upgrade,
    stock calipers lack pad spring-loading.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    My guess is glazed pads, not that it has happened to Tektro pads on my bike so equipped. Scuffing glazed pads with 200 grit sandpaper could cure.
    I had that happen to a motorcycle, they actually got contaminated with oil and acted similar. I was thinking about just picking up a new set of pads and trying that.

mtbr member
    I was thinking about just picking up a new set of pads and trying that.
    Pads transfer material to rotors; replacement pads of different compound can take awhile to "break in" old rotors.

180mm rotors and matching caliper brackets are probably a better buy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Pads were definitely glazed over. I cleaned them up and it got better but not perfect. It might be smart to wipe down the rotors with brake cleaner before putting the wheels on and riding the bike straight out of the box.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast