Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by vid1900 View Post
    Now move the 2 business cards to the side of the disc with the moving Pad.

Gently squeeze the Brake Arm until it holds the cards in place. Tighten the Cable Clamp in this position.

Now let go of the Brake Arm, remove the cards and spin the wheel in the direction it normally rides in (there is a little arrow etched on the Disc if you are confused because the bike is upsidedown).

Wallah! You now have a properly adjusted Disc Brake.

Attachment 1089952

Remember when I said to spin the wheel in the proper direction? That is because the Brake Discs are mounted to a Flange that is threaded to the Wheel Hub.

After a bike is used a few times, those Flanges are really spun down tight, from all the braking torque.

But when a bike is fresh from the box, the Flanges might actually unscrew themselves themselves if you spin the wheel backwards and then apply the Brake Arm.

Pay attention to this.

Attachment 1089963
    The tutorial on setting up this particular set of calipers was excellent! After getting everything just right and climbing a very steep and approximately 1/4 mile long Hill (and testing the granny gear), i rolled down the hill and bedded the brakes. They went from marginal to satisfactory after that and another few miles of normal riding.

The only issue i have with them is that even though the action and braking power is good, they're loud. Any tips on reducing noise? The only other disc brakes I've used have been hydraulic and they're pretty quiet.

They don't squeal so much as they have a loud scraping sound. I'm guessing the pads aren't that great. As long as they work and don't wake the neighbors I'm ok, but I'm thinking that upgrading them would be a really good idea for an early upgrade.

mtbr member

bottom bracket tool

Quote Originally Posted by Madcityfatty View Post
    which tool is the right one for the Bottom bracket? it looks like a 20 tooth tool.
    At least for this bike's bottom bracket, I suggest Park's BBT-32C
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VS9ZBU
    It is thin enough that a few washers and 8mm crank bolt keeps it engaged in 20 tooth bottom bracket retainers.
    BBT-32C's drawback is needing a 32mm wrench
    (but you may already have that for headsets)
    or substantial Crescent wrench.

mtbr member
    I'm guessing the pads aren't that great. As long as they work and don't wake the neighbors I'm ok, but I'm thinking that upgrading them would be a really good idea for an early upgrade.
    I don't find my stock brakes much louder than tire treads on pavement at speeds that resonate with forks / stays. Upgrading pads and keeping replaced ones as spares is prudent; friction material has been known to delaminate from backing plates.

mtbr member

Argus Expert vs Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Brickell View Post
    Is it really worth to get the expert over the non ?
    That will depend on your usage.

Since this was my first fat bike, know no other fat bike owners and had only seen one previously at a distance, I could not justify to myself spending more than $500 for a bike that might not work appreciably better on beach sand than my old Trek with 29x2.5 tires.

Now that I know this bike does well, but also how directly those straight front forks transmit shocks from rough trampled sand at speed, then I guess that an Expert might be worthwhile for this environment. Replacing that 26x4.0 Kenda Sport in front with a 26x4.5 Pro certainly helped, and since I do occasionally push/drag the bike up loose steep banks, more weight would not be very welcome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    The only issue i have with them is that even though the action and braking power is good, they're loud. Any tips on reducing noise? The only other disc brakes I've used have been hydraulic and they're pretty quiet.

They don't squeal so much as they have a loud scraping sound. I'm guessing the pads aren't that great. As long as they work and don't wake the neighbors I'm ok, but I'm thinking that upgrading them would be a really good idea for an early upgrade.
    I don't hear them as a squeal either, but more of a smooth "schuff" sound.

Different rotors have a different resonance.

The rotors that I like the sound of the most are those Avid G3, and they are only $5 shipped if you ever bend up your stock ones beyond fixing.

Avid G3 HS1 Brake Rotor 180mm with 6 Blots for Bike Cycling MTB BB5 BB7 | eBay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-77427_1_c.jpg  

Last edited by vid1900; 08-28-2016 at 07:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I picked up a 2015 Argus on Amazon (teal one) and have a question. Can the stock rims run presta tubes or do I have to only use the schrader valve type tubes it came with.

mtbr member

Presta stems in Shrader rims

Quote Originally Posted by Jd10ac View Post
    Can the stock rims run presta tubes or do I have to only use the schrader valve type tubes it came with.
    Presta-Shrader adapters are available: metal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FNM3FBQ or rubber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XNZU1S

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by blekenbleu View Post
    Presta-Shrader adapters are available: metal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FNM3FBQ or rubber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XNZU1S
    Awesome, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I picked up a 2015 Argus on Amazon (teal one)
    That's a cool color!

Post some pics if you get a chance.

CS2
    mtbr member
    It would, IMO, be a much better deal with a better rear derailleur and Bluto forks for $1000. In other words, it is basically sound but benefits from upgrades.
    What bike wouldn't be a better deal with better components for less money?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    What bike wouldn't be a better deal with better components for less money?
    Agreed, but debate the practical value of other components boosting the premium for Expert over Sport.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Here's the only pic I have right now but I will take some more the next time I take her out.Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-unnamed.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Keep an eye on amazon, I was able to get this one for 471 shipped last week, I think it has a little better components than the sport model.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Here's the only pic I have right now but I will take some more the next time I take her out.
    How close was the bike to the description on Mongoose's website?

Did it really come with Funn handlebars? FSA bottom bracket?

What size/brand tires?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    How close was the bike to the description on Mongoose's website?

Did it really come with Funn handlebars? FSA bottom bracket?

What size/brand tires?
    It has everything the website said except it's a 2x10 and the tires are 4" vee rubbers

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-20160829_184014.jpgArgus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-20160829_184026.jpgArgus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-20160829_184035.jpgArgus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-20160829_184058.jpgArgus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-20160829_184104.jpgArgus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-20160829_184112.jpg

I just went out to the garage and snapped a few more pics, let me know if there is anything else you want to see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Also please excuse my crappy cell phone pics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Also please excuse my crappy cell phone pics.
    Better than anything else currently on the Web about the Argus 2015.

Great job!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Better than anything else currently on the Web about the Argus 2015.

Great job!
    Thanks, It's my first fat bike and in my opinion it's awesome.

mtbr member

2015 Argus

I think it has a little better components than the sport model.
    Yes, the 2015 Argus seemed more comparable to a 2016 Argus Comp than Sport.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Today is Nashbar 22% off day!

(strange percentage, yes?)

Argus Expert $1248 shipped free

Argus Sport $467 shipped free

Mongoose Argus Sport Fat Bike

mtbr member

derailleur hanger 94

Although there is always a chance you could get a bad derailleur, the existing one works perfectly well - once properly set up.
    The replacement Shimano RD-M770 GS had been shifting very nicely for a week when alignment suddenly went off by 1-2 cogs.
    The hanger had bent with no particular provocation, so was replaced by a Forest Byke 94, which wanted some intial alignment.

beer thief
    Rear brake
    Take a look at the under cut of that weld. Keep an eye on that spot for cracking. High stress area.
    http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/fat...ssembly-22.jpg

beer thief
    looks like a great rig for the money
    Last edited by radair; 08-31-2016 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Double post

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Take a look at the under cut of that weld. Keep an eye on that spot for cracking. High stress area.
    It looks like an undercut in that photo ( it looks like the weld did not penetrate) , but that shadow is actually a flange on the rear casting to give the weld more surface area.

This photo might show the flange better:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-argus.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Received and built my Argus Sport from Nashbar tonight. Great tutorial vid1900, 3rd bike I've built but you made it nice and simple. Took it out for a spin and it feels a good bit lighter than my Malus. Looking forward to not always worrying about bending the rear axle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gl21133 View Post
    Received and built my Argus Sport from Nashbar tonight. Great tutorial vid1900, 3rd bike I've built but you made it nice and simple. Took it out for a spin and it feels a good bit lighter than my Malus. Looking forward to not always worrying about bending the rear axle.

There is a 22% discount running today, so if your Nashbar price was higher than that, they will credit you if you call it in. They are super nice about it.

Congrats on the new bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I caught it at 25% off last week. I bought a Nashbar seat and bars with the intent of replacing those on my Malus before I pass it on to my dad, but I ended up putting the seat on the Argus. Probably the only upgrade I'll be doing for a while, seems like a fairly well set up entry level bike out of the gate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I got to put in about three miles of street riding today. I'm really digging the bike but the brakes don't seem to be super strong but this is my first pair of hydraulic discs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I got to put in about three miles of street riding today. I'm really digging the bike but the brakes don't seem to be super strong but this is my first pair of hydraulic discs.
    When you squeeze the brake lever, is there less than 3/4" of space between the lever and the grip?

mtbr member

2015 disc brakes

brakes don't seem to be super strong
    160mm rotors? 2016 Argus has 180mm. 20mm post spacer kit, 180mm IS bracket and 180mm rotors can be found on ebay for under $60.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    160mm rotors? 2016 Argus has 180mm. 20mm post spacer kit, 180mm IS bracket and 180mm rotors can be found on ebay for under $60.
    Exactly.

Front and rear adapters @$3.50 each =$7

All Sizes MTB Bicycle Bike Disc Brake Mount Adaptor for Front Caliper PM to Is | eBay

Pair of 180mm Avid rotors @$5 each = $10

Avid G3 HS1 Brake Rotor 180mm with 6 Blots for Bike Cycling MTB BB5 BB7 | eBay

But I'd still try to figure out the current 160mm brakes first.

Unless you are a really heavy rider, it seems like 160mm would be plenty on the street.

mtbr member
    Front and rear adapters @$3.50 each =$7
    All Sizes MTB Bicycle Bike Disc Brake Mount Adaptor for Front Caliper PM to Is | eBay

Unless you are a really heavy rider, it seems like 160mm would be plenty on the street.
    Great find for those caliper brackets; thanks!

As another first-time fat bike owner, I blame rotational inertia.
    I have another, heavier bike with similar mechanical calipers
    more effective with 160mm rotors than Argus with 180mm rotors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    When you squeeze the brake lever, is there less than 3/4" of space between the lever and the grip?
    No, the lever stops well before 3/4 of space. I am a very heavy rider at 250lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    No, the lever stops well before 3/4 of space. I am a very heavy rider at 250lbs.
    250# is good sized, but I would not call that "very heavy" around these parts.

Anyway, you can totally lock up the brakes when you are riding fast, correct?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I don't think I can fully lock the brakes when I am riding but I honestly don't think I have grabbed the levers that hard. I will have to try it as soon as this wind dies down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I don't think I can fully lock the brakes when I am riding but I honestly don't think I have grabbed the levers that hard. I will have to try it as soon as this wind dies down.
    Try it carefully, but you should be able to lock up the brakes. (lock the rear before you lock the front, move your ass rearwards to keep gravity on your side....put your helmet on if you are not practiced in hard braking)

If that bike was the one that was returned on Amazon a few weeks ago, then there is the possibility that the pads got contaminated before you received it.

Double check that none of the mineral oil has ever leaked from the lines.

New pads are cheap, just make sure you clean the rotors with auto brake cleaner BEFORE you contaminate the new pads.

Don't get brake cleaner on any painted surface!!!!!! Spray it on a clean rag and wipe.
    Last edited by vid1900; 09-02-2016 at 01:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    To the best of my knowledge the bike was brand new, if it was a return it was the best repackaging job I have ever seen.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    To the best of my knowledge the bike was brand new, if it was a return it was the best repackaging job I have ever seen.

Excellent.

It said in the listing that it was used/returned, so if yours said it was new, I'm sure it was.

Now get out there and practice keeping control on hard braking. It won't take long, and it's a skill you need to have.

Make sure those brakes can lock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Excellent.

It said in the listing that it was used/returned, so if yours said it was new, I'm sure it was.

Now get out there and practice keeping control on hard braking. It won't take long, and it's a skill you need to have.

Make sure those brakes can lock.
    My plan is to put in a few more miles tomorrow, weather permitting.

mtbr member

tinkling

Perhaps attributable to loose spokes,
    a noise became noticeable over tread roar a couple of days ago.
    Having not thought to check spoke tensions earlier
    and sufficiently recovered from Hermine,
    I just checked them with Park's TM-1:
    24-26 on rear driven side, 22-24 on rear brake side,
    25-27 on front brake side, 23-25 on front right.
    A few outliers were tweaked to those limits;
    tinkling may now be slightly attenuated.

Should those rear tensions should be closer to those in front...?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I did a little riding today and nope the brake will not lock up. I bought a bleed kit and that didn't help either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I did a little riding today and nope the brake will not lock up. I bought a bleed kit and that didn't help either.

I'll look tomorrow and see if I can find someone with Tektro brakes on the mountain and check it out.

Maybe it's some new safety feature to keep kids from going over their bars? :.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'll look tomorrow and see if I can find someone with Tektro brakes on the mountain and check it out.

Maybe it's some new safety feature to keep kids from going over their bars? :.)
    Thanks, I learned my lesson about front brakes years ago when I started riding dirt bikes.

mtbr member

glazed Tektro pads?

nope the brake will not lock up.
    My guess is glazed pads, not that it has happened to Tektro pads on my bike so equipped. Scuffing glazed pads with 200 grit sandpaper could cure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Perhaps attributable to loose spokes,
    a noise became noticeable over tread roar a couple of days ago.
    Are the reflectors still installed?

They can resonate at certain speeds.

If so, pull the reflector back, so the center does not touch the spokes (or use a dab of hot glue at the center.

mtbr member

wheel reflector resonance

Are the reflectors still installed?
    Thanks, that motivated me to remove them; screws are already rusting.
    Tinkling is still audible. I'm beginning to suspect brake pads.
    Unlike BB7s to which I will upgrade,
    stock calipers lack pad spring-loading.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    My guess is glazed pads, not that it has happened to Tektro pads on my bike so equipped. Scuffing glazed pads with 200 grit sandpaper could cure.
    I had that happen to a motorcycle, they actually got contaminated with oil and acted similar. I was thinking about just picking up a new set of pads and trying that.

mtbr member
    I was thinking about just picking up a new set of pads and trying that.
    Pads transfer material to rotors; replacement pads of different compound can take awhile to "break in" old rotors.

180mm rotors and matching caliper brackets are probably a better buy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Pads were definitely glazed over. I cleaned them up and it got better but not perfect. It might be smart to wipe down the rotors with brake cleaner before putting the wheels on and riding the bike straight out of the box.

mtbr member

1x9

I quickly noticed that,
    at least on a barrier island with 1 small hill between home and ocean,
    a front shifter was redundant and omitted when riser bar was installed.
    Front derailleur, inner and outer chainrings were removed shortly after.

Chain drop from 30T chainring occurred today, during 21-15T shift,
    motivating OneUp 94/96 BCD 30T Narrow Wide installation.
    Bolt tabs were too large, requiring filing to fit the Prowheel spider.

Bolts are beginning to rust, as are brake rotors..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-oneup30t.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Just a heads up Amazon has the small frame argus for under 500 again and the large frame for under 700.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Just a heads up Amazon has the small frame argus for under 500 again and the large frame for under 700.
    I forgot to add that's for the 2015 spec argus.

blood in / blood out
    I quickly noticed that,
    at least on a barrier island with 1 small hill between home and ocean,
    a front shifter was redundant and omitted when riser bar was installed.
    Front derailleur, inner and outer chainrings were removed shortly after.

Chain drop from 30T chainring occurred today, during 21-15T shift,
    motivating OneUp 94/96 BCD 30T Narrow Wide installation.
    Bolt tabs were too large, requiring filing to fit the Prowheel spider.

Bolts are beginning to rust, as are brake rotors..
    Your chainring is on wrong. I see that the mark that should be behind the crank arm is in the 3 o clock position and not behind the crank arm. The mark I'm looking at has the white writing above it.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Does it seem odd to anyone that the large frame is $260 more than the small frame?

If all the components are the same, there can't be $2 more worth of aluminum tubing to make the larger frame....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It's probably inventory. Mongoose probably built to many SMALLs. Fat bikes are heavy and maybe they sell more to bigger guys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman29 View Post
    It's probably inventory. Mongoose probably built to many SMALLs. Fat bikes are heavy and maybe they sell more to bigger guys.

Small frame = $441
    Medium frame = $990
    Large frame = $697

So it looks like Mongoose is reaming the popular medium sized riders.

https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Argu...%2Bargus&psc=1

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Small frame = $441
    Medium frame = $990
    Large frame = $697

So it looks like Mongoose is reaming the popular medium sized riders.

https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Argu...%2Bargus&psc=1
    They are just clearing out inventory like was stated earlier. I got my medium frame a couple weeks ago for 471. It's funny to watch the price fluctuate daily.

mtbr member

chainring on wrong

Quote Originally Posted by majack View Post
    The mark I'm looking at has the white writing above it.
    Aligning multiple chainrings helps shifting,
    and an outer chainring's drop pin should be aligned with the crank,
    but for a single chainring with no drop pin,
    I wanted writing (BCD, tooth count, part number, date code) visible.

mtbr member

BB seals?

I forgot to verify while removing the E-type front deraulleur mount,
    but bottom brackets are probably 164mm VP-BC63,
    retailed as Origin8 XLT BB Product Description | Origin8.

Many sealed bearings are neither well sealed nor well lubricated.
    Salty sand accumulates in 22-tooth BB retainers;
    I belong to the brush + compressed air school of bike cleaning
    (tap water here is brackish), which works poorly there.
    Seals could engage toothed retainers and seat on round axle sections;
    Phil Wood makes them for his retainers/cups: https://phil-wood-co.myshopify.com/c...cts/mud-guards
    Perhaps apply silicone grease to the axle,
    then fill retainers with silicone caulk?
    Last edited by blekenbleu; 09-06-2016 at 12:21 PM. Reason: corrected wrong square taper mud guard info

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I forgot to verify while removing the E-type front deraulleur mount,
    but bottom brackets are probably 164mm VP-BC63,
    retailed as Origin8 XLT BB Product Description | Origin8.

On the Argus 2016 Sport the BB is the Feimin FP-B921/9SS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-feimin.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Oh yeah, yesterday at the mountain, I could only find 2 bikes with hydro tektro brakes.

Neither rider would allow me to try their brakes (those B****es), but both said that their Tektro OEM pads were crap and had replaced them long before they wore out.

One rider said he could absolutely lock them up, the other said he could almost lock them.

Another thing concerning the guy who could almost lock them, his Tektro rotors for some reason looked thinner than the other guy's. I did not have a mic with me, so I know it's not a very scientific observation; but it sure looked that way. Not worn thin, just thinner looking all the way around.

(The Avid rotors I always use as replacements are 1.85mm thick when new)

mtbr member
    On the Argus 2016 Sport the BB is the Feimin FP-B921/9SS
    Ouch, cannot find that BB online; all the more reason for mud guards/seals to extend life.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Ouch, cannot find that BB online; all the more reason for mud guards/seals to extend life.
    Tons of them on Polish and Russian sites.

The Argus must be crazy popular in Eastern Europe, because it seems like all the Youtube videos are from there too.

$7 USD

???????? ??????? Feimin FP-B921/9SS 103x160 ??, ??? ???????, ? ??????? ?????? ? ????????-???????? StelsVelo - ?????? ???? ?? ????????????

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Oh yeah, yesterday at the mountain, I could only find 2 bikes with hydro tektro brakes.

Neither rider would allow me to try their brakes (those B****es), but both said that their Tektro OEM pads were crap and had replaced them long before they wore out.

One rider said he could absolutely lock them up, the other said he could almost lock them.

Another thing concerning the guy who could almost lock them, his Tektro rotors for some reason looked thinner than the other guy's. I did not have a mic with me, so I know it's not a very scientific observation; but it sure looked that way. Not worn thin, just thinner looking all the way around.

(The Avid rotors I always use as replacements are 1.85mm thick when new)
    I had to order new brake pads for the rear because after I gave them a good sanding I went to spray them with some brake cleaner and accidentally hit them with some white lithium grease instead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I went to spray them with some brake cleaner and accidentally hit them with some white lithium grease instead.
    Oh my.........I'm laughing, but we have all done stuff like that before.

What kind of new pads did you get?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I went with these, based on some of the reviews I had read. 2pr TruckerCo s Disc Brake Pads Tektro Auriga E Comp Draco 2 WS Dorado E10 11 | eBay

mtbr member

Vladimir Zhemchuzhnikov

The Argus must be crazy popular in Eastern Europe, because it seems like all the Youtube videos are from there too.
    Many of them appear to be associated with one Vladimir Zhemchuzhnikov

mtbr member

spoke tensions

with Park's TM-1:
    24-26 on rear driven side, 22-24 on rear brake side,
    25-27 on front brake side, 23-25 on front right.
    Clown Shoe (another 100mm pierced alloy rim) tensions are 1200N/120kg for standard/drive and 1100N/110kg for offset side, according to Troy Szczurkowski: Surly Moonlander - build and refine. Those Kgf values map to 25-24 TM-1 deflection.

mtbr member

BB7 caliper

BB7 (perhaps clone) screwed to original front caliper bracket collided with slightly eccentric original rotor, cured by inserting a pair of generic 6mm stainless flat washers between caliper and bracket. 7 inches of brake cable was removed at the same time (should have been done sooner).
    Braking feels much the same, but easier pad adjustment was the goal.
    Original inner pad had already worn significantly more than the outer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-bb7front.jpg  

mtbr member

bead burp?

I have been more bravely attacking groins, spaced a couple hundred yards along ocean beach, but noticed mild throbbing on a paved stint immediately after today's sunrise session. Both rims and treads seemingly remained concentric, but Jug Pro 26x4.5 bead was sucked under for over 1/4 right front rim circumference. Deflated and reinflated while tugging on sidewall a couple of times to recover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-eccentricjug.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Sometimes you have to lube up the tube to get it to play nice with the inside of the tire.

Even on Mongoose's better bikes, it's still China assembly line.

mtbr member
    Sometimes you have to lube up the tube to get it to play nice with the inside of the tire.
    I applied tire talc liberally to tube and inner tire when installing the 26x4.5.

mtbr member
    For all those who wonder how the 2015 small argus looks like, here you go. I'm about to pull the trigger. I'm 5.8 and looks like the small frame has a more aggressive design. If I install a bluto with adapter in the future I think the front will be a bit higher position and the small frame won't be as noticeable. On the other hand, I can just cannibalize the argus and put all the goodies on my Vinson or my Huffy and put the SRAM x4 drive train on the small argus and sell it locally.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-screenshot-136-.jpg  

Last edited by Luis_fx35; 09-08-2016 at 08:11 PM. Reason: grammar
    I'm boss and I know it

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis_fx35 View Post
    For all those who wonder how the 2015 small argus looks like, here you go. I'm about to pull the trigger. I'm 5.8 and looks like the small frame has a more aggressive design. If I install a bluto with adapter in the future I think the front will be a bit higher position and the small frame won't be as noticeable. On the other hand, I can just cannibalize the argus a put all the goodies on my Vinson or my Huffy and put the SRAM x4 drive train on the small argus and sell it for $400 locally.
    Very cool!

When you get it, please give us the measurements along the top tube.

mtbr member
    Very cool!

When you get it, please give us the measurements along the top tube.

the measurements are posted here, on the very bottom of the page: Mongoose Argus - fatbike TEST | BikeAndRide.cz
    I'm boss and I know it

mtbr member
    I can just cannibalize the argus a put all the goodies on my Vinson
    Are 2015 Argus components particularly better than Vinson's?

Based on spec'd head tube and seat tube lengths and angles,
    small standover should be about 1/2 inch lower than medium,
    given constant bottom bracket drop

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    the measurements are posted here, on the very bottom of the page: Mongoose Argus - fatbike TEST | BikeAndRide.cz
    English:

https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

mtbr member
    Are 2015 Argus components particularly better than Vinson's?

The 2015 and 2014 (white) Vinsons are equipped with SRAM X4 24 speed. Argus 2015 is way better equipped with SLX/FSA drive train. The frame and other components are better too and the rims are 32 hole, so you can install a bluto when you re-lace the front rim with a thru axle hub.
    Last edited by Luis_fx35; 09-08-2016 at 08:14 PM. Reason: grammar
    I'm boss and I know it

mtbr member
    I noticed that the small frame has a 1123mm wheel base versus 1140mm on the medium frame. I guess this means my feet would be touching the front tire? What else is compromised on the small frame besides smaller wheel base and different head tube angle?
    I'm boss and I know it

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    For all those who wonder how the 2015 small argus looks like, here you go. I'm about to pull the trigger. I'm 5.8 and looks like the small frame has a more aggressive design. If I install a bluto with adapter in the future I think the front will be a bit higher position and the small frame won't be as noticeable. On the other hand, I can just cannibalize the argus a put all the goodies on my Vinson or my Huffy and put the SRAM x4 drive train on the small argus and sell it locally.
    That's a good looking bike. I don't know if your getting it from amazon or not but I just checked and the small is $411 which in my opinion is a steal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    . The frame and other components are better too and the rims are 32 hole, so u can install a bluto when you re-lace the front rim with a thru axle hub.

But don't forget, if you think you will be wanting the Bluto, save yourself some cash and just get the Argus Expert when it's on sale for $1199 at Nashbar:

Bluto forks, Through Axle on both front and rear (you'd need new hubs on the 2015), Bigger tires, Wider rims, Tapered Headtube (you'd need the $40 adapter for the 2015 Argus), 180mm hydraulic Hayes Brakes.....a lot of tasty upgrades for the price of the Bluto alone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argus:  A fat bike for the masses? Review & Assembly-argus-expert.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    But don't forget, if you think you will be wanting the Bluto, save yourself some cash and just get the Argus Expert when it's on sale for $1199 at Nashbar:

Bluto forks, Through Axle on both front and rear (you'd need new hubs on the 2015), Bigger tires, Wider rims, Tapered Headtube (you'd need the $40 adapter for the 2015 Argus), 180mm hydraulic Hayes Brakes.....a lot of tasty upgrades for the price of the Bluto alone.
    Now I have a serious case of the wants.

mtbr member
    Cyber Monday or Black friday it is then. The $411 tag for the small Argus is a steal anyways.
    I'm boss and I know it

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Cyber Monday or Black friday it is then. The $411 tag for the small Argus is a steal anyways.
    Indeed it is a steal.

But if it's Bluto you want, Nashbar has it's 25% off sales every few weeks.

Check for little red print above the price here:

Nashbar - Welcome!

mtbr member
    Is the bb shell 1/2 inch lower than the medium? Or closer to the front tire. Sorry for the question, I'm a noob about frame sizes.
    I'm boss and I know it

mtbr member
    Is the bb shell 1/2 inch lower than the medium? Or closer to the front tire.
    According to specifications at bikeandride.cz, BB shell on small has same height (drop) but closer to the front wheel. I would not expect interference,
    but my toes do not extend much beyond pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nashbar has a 25% coupon making the Argus Sport under $500 shipped/complete. Thoughts?

Been wanting a fat bike for awhile but not sure I'll get enough use out of one in southern California...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovespicyfood View Post
    Nashbar has a 25% coupon making the Argus Sport under $500 shipped/complete. Thoughts?

Been wanting a fat bike for awhile but not sure I'll get enough use out of one in southern California...
    Southern California encompasses a wide variety of terrains.
    Based on other posts, you are riding a hardtail 29er cross-country,
    eating brake pads and considering suspension.

No rigid fat bike will substitute for a suspended 29er;
    consider an Argus Expert with Thudbuster..

mtbr member
    Nashbar has a 25% coupon making the Argus Sport under $500 shipped/complete.
    Are you sure? I'm three now, and all I see is regular tag.
    I'm boss and I know it

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Southern California encompasses a wide variety of terrains.
    Based on other posts, you are riding a hardtail 29er cross-country,
    eating brake pads and considering suspension.

No rigid fat bike will substitute for a suspended 29er;
    consider an Argus Expert with Thudbuster..
    Ha, good intel! Definitely not considering this as a full suspension replacement... Been having a hard time deciding on a full squish and think I might wait until next year... I really like the idea of the less expensive electronic XT group that just came out...

I guess what I'm asking is will this be worth it or should I consider spending more 'cause I'll spend more on upgrades...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    It's on the home page and I got an email, 25% coupon applies to everything including bikes through tomorrow...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You have to enter pre promo code in the coupon for it to apply, at the checkout screen.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    The site is a little confusing:

Pick a bike size.

Place the bike in your cart.

Go to your cart.

Below the price there is a line that asks "HAVE A PROMOTIONAL CODE?"

Enter 38477 as your code.

Screen will refresh and show your discount.

Proceed as you would with any other web merchant..........

mtbr member

Sport worth upgrading

will this be worth it or should I consider spending more 'cause I'll spend more on upgrades
    Do you find one with your choice of upgrades? FWIW, I dislike gumwalls
    and have already spent more on personal preference upgrades:
    saddle and suspension post, riser bar, grips, controls, rear rack, mirror, kickstand, bell, lights, narrow wide chainring, Pro 4.5 front tire, BB7s;
    spare RD hanger, missing links, stainless rotors and brake pads.

Upgrading rear derailleur before 9 speed cassette wore out was unexpected..

The frame seems very sound, wheels and 190mm rear hub are fine.
    I am OK with square taper BB and prefer cable disk brakes.
    I could be tempted by a cheap (used?) Lauf Carbonara fork, which Sport head tube supports, albeit less elegantly than do Expert/Comp tapered head tubes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I guess what I'm asking is will this be worth it or should I consider spending more 'cause I'll spend more on upgrades...

It depends on the upgrades.

You are always going to buy a new saddle, grips, and that kind of thing; because that's part of making a bike "yours". How often have you used a OEM saddle and said "wow, this thing is great!" ?

But expensive upgrades (like the Bluto or through axle hubs), are much cheaper to buy already installed by the manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hi,

Newbie to the forum fact this is my first post, tho I have been following/reading/lurking around this thread and the dolomite in the wild thread for the last week.

I bought a malus last weekend to try out the fat tire bike. I rode it one day and took it back after reading thru the threads for upgrades that I felt where needed. The 7spd wasn't good gearing for me and the twist shift really was problematic for me. The cost to upgrade was well over $200. At that point the nashbar price with the 25% off on the argus would be a better buy IMHO. Tho I will say the malus was lighter than I expected it be and actually liked riding it more than the current 29" mtb mongoose I've been riding.( I know I'm a Walmart brand bike rider). So I'm gonna pull the trigger on the argus sport from nashbar.

This thread has been very help in that decision. Thank you guys for the info that has been put up here.

I ride mostly on street or dirt roads, have plans to use bike for hunting so the fat tire would be much better suited for riding thru fields and woods I feel over my current setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Not sure what kind of hunting you enjoy, but I use my fat(s) for duck hunting on a regular basis. Gets me to where people are simply too lazy to hunt in numbers. As a side benefit my labrador has settled down over the three miles to get there so she's a better hunter in the blind, too! Enjoy. And who cares where you buy your bikes... enjoy the heck out of 'em!!

mtbr member

I may be wrong

It depends on the upgrades.
    To me, it depends on costs and benefits.

How often have you used a OEM saddle and said "wow, this thing is great!" ?
    twice

But expensive upgrades (like the Bluto or through axle hubs), are much cheaper to buy already installed by the manufacturer.
    True, and i considered an Expert for Bluto, but am comfortable with QR for rear hub and hope 15x150mm front hubs will drop from current $80 or so.
    It's unclear >>for me, beach riding<< how much better is Bluto than would be an ebay $100 fat squish fork, and it seems that a Wren may turn out to be cheaper and better,
    except heavier, than Bluto,
    so my total personalized Sport cost could be somewhat lower than for a personalized Expert, even if some components (specifically juice brakes, BB and rear hub, about which I personally care less) are not so nice.

At any rate, I am more comfortable with costs for incremental improvements,
    which are also learning experiences.
    Other than thru axle provision and tapered head tubes,
    Sport frames appear similar to Comp/Expert.

At 41 pounds, a heavier fork for my Sport is not so attractive now;
    with fewer tourists trampling sand, speeding along the beach with a rigid fork is less jolting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Bow hunting and yeah that's the idea to get where other won't go or are too lazy to go. The further you go less chance for someone to walk in an ruin a hunt.

I don't really care as long as I'm happy that's all that matters. Tho talking to local bike shops they speak very lowly of mongoose(Walfart bikes) Tho over the last 5-6yrs of riding again I've learned that you do get what you pay for. So I've been more apt to spend a bit more and get something that will last longer for me. Baby steps haha

Finding this forum has been very helpful. Like first thing when I get the new ride is to repack all the BB bearings, hub bearings, lube gears and chain. Check all nuts and bolts. Order a few upgrades that I know I'll want. The pictures and how toos are extremely helpful to me.
    I've never even thought of doing those things before hand I just bought one and started riding(no wonder they had failures)so it's now gonna be my standard process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast