Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 198
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68

    Arctic Fatty Build (9:ZERO:7)

    Thread for the build for my fatbike/packrafting expedition to the Arctic Ocean.

    I'll update as the build progresses. A few key bits:
    • 9:ZERO:7 135mm offset
    • Rohloff
    • Schmidt SON28
    • Large Marge XC


    Frame choice in a nutshell: Rohloff and dynohub are required to accomplish the goals of the expedition. The Rohloff Speedhubs are only available in 135mm and the Schmidt hubs are only available in 100mm. I prefer the offset build to the various 170mm rear end options requiring adapters/spacers. I also love the standover height of the 9:ZERO:7 aluminum frames.

    Oh, and... after living on a sailboat with a bike for about 3 years, I've experienced the accelerated rates of steel oxidization in marine environments firsthand. I'm disqualifying the Pugs and other steel frames for that reason.

    Just snatched Step 1 off the truck...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arctic Fatty Build (9:ZERO:7)-77zero-9zero7.jpg  

    Last edited by 77Zero; 02-17-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    Global Zero Fuel Expeditions. Sail. Bike. Paddle. Hike. 77Zero.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    49
    I'm really stoked to see how this progresses. The electrogenerator front hub, non offset, Rohloff rear end.. this oughta be super cool.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: davesauvageau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,048
    Subscribed!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

  4. #4
    Caveman
    Reputation: Bearbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,002
    Just curious what your timeline is for this trip, ie. when you are planning on being where, that sort of thing.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    59
    Interesting trip. if no liquid or gas fuel for cooking your fuel plan for heating water/ food? I can't imagine the trip w/o hot beverages and only raw foods

  6. #6
    Caveman
    Reputation: Bearbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbslim View Post
    Interesting trip. if no liquid or gas fuel for cooking your fuel plan for heating water/ food? I can't imagine the trip w/o hot beverages and only raw foods
    you forgot, no wood either - from the website " a world in which humans are freed from the reliance on burning dead stuff for energy"

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68
    While these questions may all be interesting, I'll primarily be discussing the build in the context of mtbr sub-forum fat bikes.

  8. #8
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,601
    No hot drinks or cooked meals in between villages shouldn't be that much of a problem. I always had foods I didn't need to cook and water with or without drink mixes on my tours.

  9. #9
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait View Post
    Just curious what your timeline is for this trip, ie. when you are planning on being where, that sort of thing.
    From the website:


    In the last week of March 2012, I'm heading north to the Arctic Ocean on foot, fatbike, and packraft. The estimated duration of the expedition is 6-8 months, but may vary significantly due to ice, ocean, and ground conditions throughout.

    Fatbikerafting the Arctic by Andrew Badenoch — Kickstarter

  10. #10
    Caveman
    Reputation: Bearbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,002
    Just trying to envision the trip a bit better that's all.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait View Post
    Just trying to envision the trip a bit better that's all.
    I'm with ya... was mainly dodging the food questions. As far as the bike use (very oversimplified), Spring will be road, gravel, ice/snow trails, and maybe frozen rivers/lakes (route has alternate options based on breakup). Summer will be tundra. Fall will be bushwacking in the southern half of Alaska and the Lost Coast.
    Last edited by 77Zero; 02-17-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    Global Zero Fuel Expeditions. Sail. Bike. Paddle. Hike. 77Zero.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Greenfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    332
    Good luck and God's speed
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    128
    Fall will be bushwacking in the southern half of Alaska and the Lost Coast.

    Can you say "bear-anoia"

  14. #14
    @adelorenzo
    Reputation: anthony.delorenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,670
    The OP is using access to his travel techniques as part of his revenue stream, hence a reluctance to share information here for free.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    162
    Cool trip, good idea. Good luck with the build

  16. #16
    Caveman
    Reputation: Bearbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by FarNorth View Post
    Fall will be bushwacking in the southern half of Alaska and the Lost Coast.

    Can you say "bear-anoia"
    Oh you sound like the whole way is like the yakutat dump, I think the most we saw was like 10 one evening east of the Malaspinia

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo View Post
    The OP is using access to his travel techniques as part of his revenue stream, hence a reluctance to share information here for free.
    That has absolutely nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by 77Zero; 02-23-2012 at 04:40 PM.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68
    still waiting on crucial parts, but here's a (grainy) quickie...

    SON28 + Large Marge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arctic Fatty Build (9:ZERO:7)-son28-large-marge.jpg  

    Global Zero Fuel Expeditions. Sail. Bike. Paddle. Hike. 77Zero.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait View Post
    Oh you sound like the whole way is like the yakutat dump, I think the most we saw was like 10 one evening east of the Malaspinia
    Those dump bears are like our menacing pets. Something about those bears on the other side of the bay, they have a grumpiness about them.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68

    rohloff / son28 / large marge

    the cornerstones of the build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arctic Fatty Build (9:ZERO:7)-77zero-rohloff.jpg  

    Arctic Fatty Build (9:ZERO:7)-77zero-son28.jpg  

    Last edited by 77Zero; 03-21-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    Global Zero Fuel Expeditions. Sail. Bike. Paddle. Hike. 77Zero.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68

    braze-ons off / plasti-dip

    oopsies... the braze-ons fell off. removing them might seem superfluous, but every little bit of metal sticking out is a potential problem when the bike is strapped to the packraft.

    i left the appropriate cable-routing braze-ons and a few rack mounts to potentially stabilize heavyish bags.

    removed: lower rear rack mount, rear derailleur cable guides. front derailleur cable guides/stop, canti brake bosses.

    stage 1 of plast-dip. it's kind of a pain to work with. regular masking doesn't work; all masked lines must be pulled immediately when still wet. this causes problems because it forces you to do one thick coat along the masked edges. other than loving the matte finish and rubberized feel, it's probably the wrong choice for this project.

    the blue masking tape is just for coverage between the cleaner edges, which are electrical tape. the black seen poking out at the edge of the logos is the electrical tape over the logos. it's way easier to mask curves with the electrical.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arctic Fatty Build (9:ZERO:7)-77zero-fork.jpg  

    Arctic Fatty Build (9:ZERO:7)-77zero-braze-ons-off.jpg  

    Arctic Fatty Build (9:ZERO:7)-77zero-plasti.jpg  

    Last edited by 77Zero; 03-21-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    Global Zero Fuel Expeditions. Sail. Bike. Paddle. Hike. 77Zero.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: davesauvageau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,048
    This looks interesting! I have thought about plasti-dipping bike stuff before but never had the balls to do it! Can't wait to see it finished!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau View Post
    I have thought about plasti-dipping bike stuff before but never had the balls to do it! Can't wait to see it finished!
    The cool thing about Plasti Dip is that if you mess up, you can just peel it off and try again (as long as we're talking about non-porous surfaces). This will be the second frame/fork I've done. It went okay the first time, but I'm definitely tweaking some things.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: davesauvageau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,048
    Cool, How many cans does it take to do a frame and fork?
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau View Post
    Cool, How many cans does it take to do a frame and fork?
    2-3. I'll probably use 3 this time... seems like messing around with the masking process results in more overspray/waste. I think I used 3 last time... didn't mask off logos on that bike, but also did bar, stem, and cranks.

    Oh, this time will be 4 sorta. I'm going to use flat clear over the logos to cut down on its opportunity to peel at the edges. But... that will just take a fraction of a can.
    Global Zero Fuel Expeditions. Sail. Bike. Paddle. Hike. 77Zero.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    151
    Just read through this thread, and I love the idea! I hope to eventually be in a position in life where I can do these sorts of things that you and several others are able to enjoy.

    One thing bothers me though, honestly. The zero fuel for transportation thing...you may not be burning any fossil fuels to propel your bike or raft, but to produce that raft and the bike and ship it did use fuel. Most likely the food you consume along the way will also be carbon-intensive, and I think its fair to say thats fuel for transportation. We couldn't have these sort of great expeditionary tools that adventurers, miners, and loggers lacked 100+ years ago. In a truly post carbon world, we won't have bike tires (unless we develop technology to process goldenrod into latex, and then into tires, or find a way to carbon-free way to process rubber from rubber trees into products and then transport it.)

    I don't own a car, using a bike as my primary transportation, I eat as locally as I can afford, and grow what food I can. But I'm not fooling myself that I my lifestyle is carbon free. Basically, I think it's important not to deceive ourselves about our actions and lifestyles...

    Anyway, that build looks great for wilderness expeditioning and/or general awesomery. Hope the trip goes well!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68
    ee ay ess,

    Please note the important difference between building a house with a hammer, and building a house out of hammers. Whether building or tearing down, it's always important to understand the difference between the tools and the structure.
    Global Zero Fuel Expeditions. Sail. Bike. Paddle. Hike. 77Zero.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pbasinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by ee ay ess View Post
    Just read through this thread, and I love the idea! I hope to eventually be in a position in life where I can do these sorts of things that you and several others are able to enjoy.

    One thing bothers me though, honestly. The zero fuel for transportation thing...you may not be burning any fossil fuels to propel your bike or raft, but to produce that raft and the bike and ship it did use fuel. Most likely the food you consume along the way will also be carbon-intensive, and I think its fair to say thats fuel for transportation. We couldn't have these sort of great expeditionary tools that adventurers, miners, and loggers lacked 100+ years ago. In a truly post carbon world, we won't have bike tires (unless we develop technology to process goldenrod into latex, and then into tires, or find a way to carbon-free way to process rubber from rubber trees into products and then transport it.)

    I don't own a car, using a bike as my primary transportation, I eat as locally as I can afford, and grow what food I can. But I'm not fooling myself that I my lifestyle is carbon free. Basically, I think it's important not to deceive ourselves about our actions and lifestyles...

    Anyway, that build looks great for wilderness expeditioning and/or general awesomery. Hope the trip goes well!

    Well said.

    The premise behind raising money for trips like this, whether it be for some medical research, stopping idling cars, or in this case, some strange convoluted logic about saving the earth always makes me uncomfortable. Bottom line, money and resources are going into a personal trip and it’s wasteful. Nothing wrong with that, I’m all for selfish trips, but why fool yourself into thinking it’s for a greater cause.

    You’d be much more useful to society volunteering your time and money somewhere for 6 months.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Greenfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    332
    Could we keep carbon out of this. He gets blamed for enough. I thought the idea of no fuels meant he was much less dependent on the out side world for his adventure.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfin View Post
    Could we keep carbon out of this. He gets blamed for enough. I thought the idea of no fuels meant he was much less dependent on the out side world for his adventure.
    This is more or less what I am saying. Leave the noble-but-mistaken fuel claims out of it, and focus on the adventure.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    Well said.

    The premise behind raising money for trips like this, whether it be for some medical research, stopping idling cars, or in this case, some strange convoluted logic about saving the earth always makes me uncomfortable. Bottom line, money and resources are going into a personal trip and it’s wasteful. Nothing wrong with that, I’m all for selfish trips, but why fool yourself into thinking it’s for a greater cause.

    You’d be much more useful to society volunteering your time and money somewhere for 6 months.
    Strange convoluted logic about saving the earth? The Kickstarter project was about raising money for a documentary film project. Since it hasn't even been written or shot, it's rather interesting that you've already judged the result.

    The only reason I linked the expedition was to give context for the physical environment in which the bike will be used. I'm here to talk about a bike build, not to seek anyone's approval about what I think is important in life or make you feel cozy and comfortable. Modern humans are comfortable to the point of being anesthetized, so I'm okay spreading a little discomfort. I'd be happy to engage in these tangential discussions, and point out how little you understand about what goes on in my head, but I don't currently have the time.

    Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68
    Still futzing with the cable routing, missing the chain tensioner, and yeah... the tire is backwards. Those pedals and seat are temporary.

    The front DT Swiss RWS Skewer bumps into the BB7 caliper so I flipped it the 'wrong' way.

    Back to work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arctic Fatty Build (9:ZERO:7)-77zero-side-front.jpg  

    Arctic Fatty Build (9:ZERO:7)-77zero-rear-tire.jpg  

    Arctic Fatty Build (9:ZERO:7)-77zero-side-rear.jpg  

    Arctic Fatty Build (9:ZERO:7)-77zero-son28.jpg  

    Arctic Fatty Build (9:ZERO:7)-77zero-rohloff.jpg  

    Global Zero Fuel Expeditions. Sail. Bike. Paddle. Hike. 77Zero.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by ee ay ess View Post
    Leave the noble-but-mistaken fuel claims out of it, and focus on the adventure.
    Misrepresenting me is tedious. I don't purport to be a disengaged ascetic monk living in a zero world devoid of petroleum. I'm not burning fuel for locomotion or heat; it's pretty simple really. The externalized uses of petroleum you point out are important to consider, but you're imposing claims on me that I haven't made. There is a non-trivial difference between petroleum that is burned (fuel) and petroleum that is converted to things like plastic.

    Forgive me Father for I have sinned. It's been 193 years since my last confession: I've had things delivered on big brown trucks. I once used a lighter to melt the tip of a cord I cut. My Rohloff hub came with 25 ml of oil that I assume is derived from liquid pumped from the ground in the Middle East. My chain was coated in some non-descript brownish slippery stuff by the manufacturer. And Flying Spaghetti Monster knows where the electrons powering this wifi came from.
    Global Zero Fuel Expeditions. Sail. Bike. Paddle. Hike. 77Zero.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    49
    Andrew,

    I've got some detail questions, IF you have a minute to dash off an answer, I'd be stoked:

    Tubeless, light tubes, or heavy tubes? Tell us why (twitter version: 124 characters, the more pithy the better)

    Grips: ergonomic? Ergons, yay or nay.

    Also--no drilling the wheels? Why not?

    Brakes: cables or hydro?

    Finished weight of the bike.

    Deets. We need details on this pig wagon.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by 77Zero View Post
    Misrepresenting me is tedious. I don't purport to be a disengaged ascetic monk living in a zero world devoid of petroleum. I'm not burning fuel for locomotion or heat; it's pretty simple really. The externalized uses of petroleum you point out are important to consider, but you're imposing claims on me that I haven't made. There is a non-trivial difference between petroleum that is burned (fuel) and petroleum that is converted to things like plastic.

    Forgive me Father for I have sinned. It's been 193 years since my last confession: I've had things delivered on big brown trucks. I once used a lighter to melt the tip of a cord I cut. My Rohloff hub came with 25 ml of oil that I assume is derived from liquid pumped from the ground in the Middle East. My chain was coated in some non-descript brownish slippery stuff by the manufacturer. And Flying Spaghetti Monster knows where the electrons powering this wifi came from.
    I'm not being contentious, so there's no reason to act like an ass--unless you're just being contentious.

    I would also say don't misrepresent me--I haven't said not to use any fossil fuel, or made any judgments about using it (as your response implies.) I'm on the mtbr fatbike forum too, after all.

    What I did was point out that without the petroleum used to produce your bike, etc, you'd have nothing to propel. Because of that, petroleum is necessary for the propulsion of your adventure--and there's nothing necessarily wrong with that.

    Sweet bike, btw.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by AcuNinja View Post
    Tubeless, light tubes, or heavy tubes? Tell us why (twitter version: 124 characters, the more pithy the better)
    Q Tubes 2.7" Superlights in there now. Have some Surly Lights for backup. My preference is tubeless with tube backup... going to try ghetto tubeless before I take off, but I haven't seen any reports of that succeeding (or failing either, really) with the Husker Dus so I'll report back. If anyone has suggestions for successful tubeless HDs, I'm all ears.

    Quote Originally Posted by AcuNinja View Post
    Grips: ergonomic? Ergons, yay or nay.
    Haven't put any miles on them, but so far, yay. I like the extra hand position(s) afforded by the integrated bar end... despite the fashion hit.

    Quote Originally Posted by AcuNinja View Post
    Also--no drilling the wheels? Why not?
    These are Large Marge XCs -- drilled inner wall. Forgot to take photos, but will try to next time I have the tires off.

    I decided on Large Marge for three reasons. 1) A combination of paranoia of smashing a wheel weeks from the closest village, and recommendations by the 9:ZERO:7 crew nudged me to double-walled durability. 2) The 100mm fork makes it a bear to get the wheel out w/ 80mm+ rims while running a front brake -- caliper gets in the way. I've since learned that the 65mm is still next to impossible to remove anyway. 3) The Rohloff IGH adds extra torque to the rear wheel.

    Quote Originally Posted by AcuNinja View Post
    Brakes: cables or hydro?
    Avid BB7 MTB cable. I suspect there's 80%+ chance these will fail in an ocean/beach stretch, but didn't find any better options. I might just remove the calipers on the beaches, and only use the brakes on road/trail.

    Quote Originally Posted by AcuNinja View Post
    Finished weight of the bike.
    My scale only goes to 11 lbs. ("11, it's one louder"), but I'll see if I can weigh it in sections.
    Last edited by 77Zero; 04-09-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: typo
    Global Zero Fuel Expeditions. Sail. Bike. Paddle. Hike. 77Zero.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTscoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,328
    Quote Originally Posted by 77Zero View Post
    Still futzing with the cable routing, missing the chain tensioner, and yeah... the tire is backwards. Those pedals and seat are temporary.

    The front DT Swiss RWS Skewer bumps into the BB7 caliper so I flipped it the 'wrong' way.

    Back to work.
    That's actually the right way to mount a front QR lever on a disc brake bike. The heat from the caliper can cause the lever to heat up and subsequently loosen over time. Not sure how it works on the RWS skewers but have always heard this with standard QRs.

    Awesome looking bike, did you have to prep anything in order to make sure the plasti-dip stuck or did you just clean the frame with alcohol, let it dry, and then spray?

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by 77Zero View Post
    Still futzing with the cable routing...
    If I were you, I would follow the rear brake and zip tie all three to the cable stops...reverse the external box (cable exit pointed rearward), and then clock it up a little bit...

    Just a suggestion...

    g

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,537
    Just curious what the plans are for shakedown/test rides before the big event?
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,042
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    That's actually the right way to mount a front QR lever on a disc brake bike. The heat from the caliper can cause the lever to heat up and subsequently loosen over time. Not sure how it works on the RWS skewers but have always heard this with standard QRs.

    Awesome looking bike, did you have to prep anything in order to make sure the plasti-dip stuck or did you just clean the frame with alcohol, let it dry, and then spray?
    That's how I always mount them too. Mostly because of the couple of times I've messed with my QR after a long downhill and burned my hand on the hot rotor.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTR2ebike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,872
    Quote Originally Posted by 77Zero View Post
    Q Tubes 2.7" Superlights in there now. Have some Surly Lights for backup. My preference is tubeless with tube backup... going to try ghetto tubeless before I take off, but I haven't seen any reports of that succeeding (or failing either, really) with the Husker Dus so I'll report back. If anyone has suggestions for successful tubeless HDs, I'm all ears.
    I've got HuDu's set up ghetto tubeless on Rolling D's, no problems. 2 scoops in each tire.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68

    Hüsker Dü + Large Marge tubeless success

    Just saw the last few posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    I've got HuDu's set up ghetto tubeless on Rolling D's, no problems. 2 scoops in each tire.
    Got mine to work split-tube ghetto on Large Marge XC. Used 24" tubes, but would probably try 20s next time. Will still be carrying spare tubes, patches, etc., but hopefully tubeless will allow me to milk the no flat situation a little longer than starting with tubes.
    Global Zero Fuel Expeditions. Sail. Bike. Paddle. Hike. 77Zero.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Awesome looking bike, did you have to prep anything in order to make sure the plasti-dip stuck or did you just clean the frame with alcohol, let it dry, and then spray?
    Thanks! Yup, just alcohol, dry, spray. It stuck pretty well. Unfortunately, I seriously botched the logos, and didn't have/couldn't get enough white to redo it... peeled off the white Plasti-Dip. Painted with regular matte white, then coated over everything with clear Plasti-Dip. The result looked great, but there's no way it's going to hold up.
    Global Zero Fuel Expeditions. Sail. Bike. Paddle. Hike. 77Zero.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Just curious what the plans are for shakedown/test rides before the big event?
    All my plans are out the window. I've had to spend way too much time with the sewing machine (Revelate bags have been out of stock for months) and I'm way behind schedule. I'll be hitting the road without the testing I'd planned. I've had her out a few times, and a couple more local rides will have to do. The only upshot is that I'll be pedaling through semi-inhabited BC for the first couple weeks.
    Global Zero Fuel Expeditions. Sail. Bike. Paddle. Hike. 77Zero.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Greenfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    332
    keep you the good work
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

  46. #46
    @adelorenzo
    Reputation: anthony.delorenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by 77Zero View Post
    All my plans are out the window. I've had to spend way too much time with the sewing machine (Revelate bags have been out of stock for months) and I'm way behind schedule. I'll be hitting the road without the testing I'd planned. I've had her out a few times, and a couple more local rides will have to do. The only upshot is that I'll be pedaling through semi-inhabited BC for the first couple weeks.
    I just got new sweet new bags from Scott at Porcelain Rocket, he's up in Victoria, BC. I know he's doing a lot of stuff for Great Divide racers so he might be busy but you should drop him a line if you're not wanting to DIY.

    Custom Bicycle Bags from Porcelain Rocket

  47. #47
    Caveman
    Reputation: Bearbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by 77Zero View Post
    (Revelate bags have been out of stock for months)
    Don't recall you ever inquiring about gear. we've been shipping bags daily. false statement.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,537
    Quote Originally Posted by 77Zero View Post
    I'm way behind schedule.
    When do the pedals start turning?...

    Quote Originally Posted by 77Zero View Post
    I'll be hitting the road without the testing I'd planned.
    Having been there are not done the testing myself. I gotta tell you the hassle of dealing with the inevitable problems on the road will far out weigh the time delay for a modest test session of the whole setup you plan to take with you closer to home.

    It's never a time saver to skip testing out the whole setup...
    Last edited by vikb; 04-09-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 77Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68
    Correction: Eric at Revelate handled my order and shipped out super-fast. I've been rolling north through BC with a Viscacha seat bag and 4 piece handlebar harness/bag system for several days now.

    The touring types are perplexed by the lack of panniers, but I'm pretty sure they mainly need them for their mini-fridges and microwaves.
    Global Zero Fuel Expeditions. Sail. Bike. Paddle. Hike. 77Zero.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    162
    pannier's are nice,I put a couple cans of beer in mine instead of the microwave oven

    Nice looking 907, good luck on the trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arctic Fatty Build (9:ZERO:7)-img_0862.jpg  


  51. #51
    Saw
    Saw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    203
    Dude! Except for the white color, you are riding my bike (or the one I wish I could afford at this point). I like your thinking on this project.

    Since you blessed me with pictures of your bike, let me reciprocate with knowledge I just picked up this week. Check out Johnson ElectroMechancial Systems and the JTEC (Johnson Thermo-Electochemical Converter System). Good luck sleeping after you consider this technology's potential. That is assuming you haven't seen it before.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,537
    British Columbia - she's a tough nut to crack.

    Not What I Signed Up For | 77Zero
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pbasinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    British Columbia - she's a tough nut to crack.

    Not What I Signed Up For | 77Zero

    Sooo, why is he starving?

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,537
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    Sooo, why is he starving?
    Couldn't work out the logistics of bike touring in a foreign land so different from home...
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pbasinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    762
    Forgot to call his credit card company and tell them he was traveling, so now he can't hit all those Tim Hortons? Seems like a minor obstacle. What am I missing?

  56. #56
    Fail again. Fail better.
    Reputation: Dusza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    123
    Any news from the OP? I'm kinda worried, like in-to-the-wild-worried...

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusza View Post
    Any news from the OP? I'm kinda worried, like in-to-the-wild-worried...
    He's alive. Updates here:

    https://twitter.com/#!/77zero
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  58. #58
    Fail again. Fail better.
    Reputation: Dusza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    He's alive. Updates here:

    https://twitter.com/#!/77zero
    Cheers Vik
    Godspeed to 77Zero

  59. #59
    @adelorenzo
    Reputation: anthony.delorenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,670
    He's not into the wild quite yet, although the oil patch is pretty wild in its own way.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pbasinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    762
    So whatever happened to this guy?

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: damnitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,290
    "sleeping in until 8 and still having 15 hours of light to make the day's miles is a luxury i miss. now i gotta keep track of tides *and* sunsets? rough life. "

    via FB 10SEP

    ...I assume this means he made it to the Beaufort Sea...of course it says his post yesterday was via mobile, but his trip map shows him in ANC, so I guess only the cell phone companies know where he is...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pbasinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    762
    Yeah, it seems weird the Twitter is so up to date, the website fairly slick, but the tracker feed isn’t working? Also, even if he’s packing some satellite smart phone, who is Twatting 2 or 3 times a day and browsing the internet to share links when they’re out on an expedition. Not to mention it’d be a little chilly to be pecking on a phone up on the Beaufort. Does something seem fishy here?

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: damnitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,290
    ...naww...that fish you smell is the dead walrus washed up on the beach that he hasn't taken any pictures of, or all the oil soaked wild life that ekes out a living under the murderous thumb of the evil oil companies...I'm pretty sure he just forgot to post a pic of him dipping his fat, nay, the First Fat ever I presume, into the Canadian Beaufort for all to see...please ZERO, I would love to see it...an historic, momentous occasion to share with the masses...we feel left out...we want to know about your adventure, not the misadventures of Shell...we can get that on our own, from our couches, which some might say is where you are getting it...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Toni Lund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    125
    I thought he abandoned the expedition after the logistical nightmares, but rechecking his Twitter and FB feeds doesn't show any announcement of it.
    "Cycling is not the whole life, it's much more."
    www.tonilund.fi - Facebook - Twitter - Google+

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: damnitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,290
    ...right, because he took a bunch of people's kickstart money and blew it all on weed in BC...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

  66. #66
    @adelorenzo
    Reputation: anthony.delorenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,670
    I think Andrew pulled the plug back in July:

    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>AWOL.</p>&mdash; Andrew Badenoch (@77Zero) <a href="https://twitter.com/77Zero/status/228648994635653120" data-datetime="2012-07-27T00:32:23+00:00">July 27, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

    I was following him on Twitter and it seems like he had some equipment/logistics issues. I'm not sure if he made it North of 60 at all.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pbasinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    762
    Yeah,

    Seems odd there are no official posts that he quit though. And then he continues to tweet as 77zero? He's giving gear and training advice on there? I'd be pissed if I was part of the kickstarter. I'd feel duped.
    Last edited by pbasinger; 09-16-2012 at 10:11 PM.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,654
    Fair go lads.

    At least he tried, and had the sense to pull out when he realised he wasn't up to it. Means he can try again next year.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  69. #69
    Moon Child
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    148
    Damn, that evil fuel doesn't seem so bad when your tired, cold, wet and hungery. Hell, I'll bet he would even accept a ride from a Hummer.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,654
    Better a live failure than a dead idiot
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pbasinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Better a live failure than a dead idiot


    I’m not really bagging on him for being a quitter, assuming he did quit.

    I guess what I’m interested in is where is the official “Hey, thanks for giving me thousand of dollars guys, I had to pull the plug and will --try next year—return the money—give your money to a charity…” fill in the blank

    Sometimes failures are more interesting than success and it’d be interesting to hear where he went wrong. I have a pretty good idea...

    Nope, instead he still posts cryptic tweets and gives gear and training advice?
    I guess I’m just trying to explain to myself what happened here. How did this guy manage to get so much money and press, given what appear like very obvious holes in his story and plan and why aren’t people pissed about this.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,537
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    Nope, instead he still posts cryptic tweets and gives gear and training advice?
    I guess I’m just trying to explain to myself what happened here. How did this guy manage to get so much money and press, given what appear like very obvious holes in his story and plan and why aren’t people pissed about this.
    I'm not pissed because I didn't buy him a new Rohloff fatbike, pack raft or pay for his summer holiday...
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jaredbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    258
    I agree with you Pete. If this was a story of a guy who tried something however unrealistic and failed I would be a big supporter of him. Instead he was defensive when questions were asked early in this process and he is now sort of letting people believe he is some how still on his expedition. I have a lot of respect for the people who have done amazing things on fat bikes in Alaska like Mike C., Eric from Revelate and his lost coast kind of rides and all the racers like Pete Basinger. These guys do some of the most amazing things in sports and don't get the kind of coverage or respect from the outside press they deserve. To the outside world Andrew is viewed in the same category as the champions of our sport. He needs to just come clean with where he is and what has been happening. At a minimum he needs to stop accepting credit for and likely even money for pretending to be a fat bike adventurer.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

  74. #74
    will rant for food
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,681
    Pete, if this makes sense: I hope you are wrong, but I don't think you're wrong.

    If he shows up here later and has new information and documentation, and has a luxury of responding with a "screw you, haters" kind of thing, I will be ... relieved I guess is the word I'm looking for.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

  75. #75
    Natural Born Killer
    Reputation: nemhed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    British Columbia - she's a tough nut to crack.

    Not What I Signed Up For | 77Zero
    I have the feeling Hemingway would use fewer words and also whine less. So the dudes whole problem was access to funds?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

  76. #76
    giddy up!
    Reputation: donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,247
    I just wish he'd stop calling it an expedition.....and for f$%$ sake.....stop likening himself to Shackleton.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

  77. #77
    It aint gonna ride itself
    Reputation: MauricioB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredbe View Post
    I have a lot of respect for the people who have done amazing things on fat bikes in Alaska like Mike C., Eric from Revelate and his lost coast kind of rides and all the racers like Pete Basinger. These guys do some of the most amazing things in sports and don't get the kind of coverage or respect from the outside press they deserve. To the outside world Andrew is viewed in the same category as the champions of our sport.
    See, and this is what I don't quite understand about this guy. Though I'm admittedly a forum junkie, I don't think one would have to be to have some idea who these people are. Yet, when Mr. Bedenoch posts here, it's not at all apparent that he knows much about any of them. Maybe he doesn't feel like he should have to be part of the club, but it seems like it would be foolish not to seek their advice and instead reinvent the wheel. It's just odd.

    What else is odd? No pics. My money (fortunately none of it in this guy's pocket) sez it didn't happen.
    Last edited by MauricioB; 09-17-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Typo

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    254
    All the gear and no idear....

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,537
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey View Post
    I just wish he'd stop calling it an expedition.....and for f$%$ sake.....stop likening himself to Shackleton.
    People are less likely to give you $10K if you call it a summer holiday...
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,654
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey View Post
    I just wish he'd stop calling it an expedition.....and for f$%$ sake.....stop likening himself to Shackleton.
    It's a fair comparison, after all, Shackleton didn't kill/sacrifice any of his men.

    I reckon he's cringing with embarrassment in some corner which is why we haven't heard from him. Taking advice from some of the experienced guys on here would have been advisable, but the unknowing don't know what they don't know so they don't see the value in knowing it.

    (BTW I share some of the suspicions voiced here, I'm just hoping that's not the case, and that it's a simple failure which he can overcome by trying again with the benefit of a bit more experience. And hopefully less green posturing )
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  81. #81
    Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Reputation: JordyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,454
    Seems he is on Facebook...


  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OFFcourse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    919
    I'm going to have a sausage sizzle and sell raffles to buy me a belt drive system!

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pbasinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    762
    I'm going to start a kickstarter to fund my masters. I might hire Andrew to promote it.

  84. #84
    giddy up!
    Reputation: donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    I'm going to start a kickstarter to fund my masters. I might hire Andrew to promote it.
    You'll need a good cause to "raise awareness" for.....I recommend cat juggling.......serious problem.

    "Good Lord! Cat Juggling!!!" - YouTube
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    886
    So are we faced with two outcomes about Andrew?

    Did he get out into nature enough for him to hear? To hear that his ideals are somehow
    not well grounded, and now he is in a state of 're-adjustment'?

    Or, he looking for another city park to be the quest of somewhere, now that the 'occupiers'
    have all been shut down?

    Thing is...he is not telling us, so we draw our own conclusions?

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,537
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    I'm going to start a kickstarter to fund my masters. I might hire Andrew to promote it.
    I'm in for $200. You'll probably need a rohloff, packraft and sat phone - I know those things aren't cheap, but nothing beats a solid education...
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  87. #87
    @adelorenzo
    Reputation: anthony.delorenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,670
    OK, trying to organize a bunch of different thoughts here, so bear with me:

    Getting sponsors to support an expedition is something that has happened for centuries. Nowadays people do it on Kickstarter but before that you had to go schmooze the lords and ladies or whatever. Not such a big deal and people were obviously willing to support the adventure. Good for everybody, I don't see any problem doing this.

    I agree with Pete that the issue is not the success or failure but more about keeping people in the loop. There is some accountability to his backers and, like it or not, when you make an expedition like this so public there will be a lot of people like us watching. I really hope Andrew gets a chance to go on record and let everybody know what happened.

    This was definitely no 'summer holiday.' He was secretive about his route but what I was able to guess it was going to be bloody hard, if not impossible. That vague line drawn on the map went through some of the worst country I can think of. I was hoping to be able to exchange some information with him -- I was part of a trip this summer in the same area -- but he wasn't divulging anything. If nothing else I would really like to know what his route and plans were.

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pbasinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    762
    Anybody on here donate to his kickstarter? It's possible donors have been getting more info.

    I think the full story will soon be revealed…
    Last edited by pbasinger; 09-19-2012 at 09:51 PM.

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    Anybody on here donate to his kickstarter? It's possible donators have been getting more info.

    I think the full story will soon be revealed…
    I didn't donate (but I sure wish I had the same capabilities of raising such amounts of expedition funding... I'm in envious awe... ). I'm new to this thread and what made me read all the way through was trying to find the reason as to why he plasti-dipped the whole frame ?!? Especially after his own admission that it wouldn't hold...

    Apart from adding lots of extra weight this adds... what am I missing ? Maybe to prevent skin sticking to metal when it's really cold ? To prevent his frame rubbing through his packraft ?

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OFFcourse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco View Post
    I didn't donate (but I sure wish I had the same capabilities of raising such amounts of expedition funding... I'm in envious awe... ). I'm new to this thread and what made me read all the way through was trying to find the reason as to why he plasti-dipped the whole frame ?!? Especially after his own admission that it wouldn't hold...

    Apart from adding lots of extra weight this adds... what am I missing ? Maybe to prevent skin sticking to metal when it's really cold ? To prevent his frame rubbing through his packraft ?
    To blend in with the polar bears!

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by 77Zero View Post
    All my plans are out the window. I've had to spend way too much time with the sewing machine (Revelate bags have been out of stock for months) and I'm way behind schedule. I'll be hitting the road without the testing I'd planned. I've had her out a few times, and a couple more local rides will have to do. The only upshot is that I'll be pedaling through semi-inhabited BC for the first couple weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait View Post
    Don't recall you ever inquiring about gear. we've been shipping bags daily. false statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by 77Zero View Post
    Correction: Eric at Revelate handled my order and shipped out super-fast. I've been rolling north through BC with a Viscacha seat bag and 4 piece handlebar harness/bag system for several days now.
    This "conversation" pretty much tells me everything I need to know about this guy. Also, from his blog, it sounds like he was only waiting for a couple of days to get access to money. If he was that reliant on his debit card, he should have never... yeah....

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Toni Lund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    Anybody on here donate to his kickstarter? It's possible donors have been getting more info.

    I think the full story will soon be revealed…
    I did, although only the minimum sum (something like 20$ or so for the DVD). And no more info.

    I sent him this tweet on September 18th:

    "@77Zero Are you still on your expedition?"

    No answer, but he tweeted this on September 21st:

    "ah! lost the steripen somewhere on a stretch of nasty sidetrack." https://twitter.com/77Zero

    The reason I got interested in his expedition was that it was very ambitious and it would have been interesting to follow his progress, how the gear worked, the weather conditions etc. etc. Quitting is not a problem of course, but it's certainly odd that there isn't any official announcement of it with a blog post to clear things up what happened.
    "Cycling is not the whole life, it's much more."
    www.tonilund.fi - Facebook - Twitter - Google+

  93. #93
    .......................
    Reputation: ionsmuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,048
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    I'm going to start a kickstarter to fund my masters. I might hire Andrew to promote it.
    I've had similar thoughts. I could do some sweet trips if I didn't have loans to pay down.

    What continues to astonish me is that so many people (in this case and others) are willing to plunk down money when there are glaring, gaping holes in the resume presented.


    P.S. Looks like a great trip Anthony.
    Last edited by ionsmuse; 09-23-2012 at 01:36 PM.

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NOBBY605's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    379
    This guy is a plain and simple POS! Thats it...never give him the luxury of lurker laughing which is what a weak spineless jellyfish does, knowing he scammed us all!
    KILL THIS THREAD

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NOBBY605's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    379
    sorry for the rant...but the whole thing had me incensed.

  96. #96
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,601
    Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco View Post
    .....I'm new to this thread and what made me read all the way through was trying to find the reason as to why he plasti-dipped the whole frame ?!? Especially after his own admission that it wouldn't hold...

    Apart from adding lots of extra weight this adds... what am I missing ? Maybe to prevent skin sticking to metal when it's really cold ? To prevent his frame rubbing through his packraft ?
    To increase the amount of fossil fuels used to facilitate the trip?

  97. #97
    giddy up!
    Reputation: donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,247
    Looking at his Twitter account.......there's a post from earlier in September that says "mile 1 of the Oregon Coast Trail"......with a photo of a beer in a pint glass.

    Soo....I guess he flew from Anchorage to Oregon??
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Toni Lund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey View Post
    Looking at his Twitter account.......there's a post from earlier in September that says "mile 1 of the Oregon Coast Trail"......with a photo of a beer in a pint glass.

    Soo....I guess he flew from Anchorage to Oregon??
    Looks like it. And the tweets are getting better, September 24th:

    "what's better than surfer girls?"
    "Cycling is not the whole life, it's much more."
    www.tonilund.fi - Facebook - Twitter - Google+

  99. #99
    @adelorenzo
    Reputation: anthony.delorenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey View Post
    Soo....I guess he flew from Anchorage to Oregon??
    No he wasn't anywhere near Anchorage. Last known whereabouts were in Northern BC, I would imagine that he just pedaled back to Washington.

  100. #100
    giddy up!
    Reputation: donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo View Post
    No he wasn't anywhere near Anchorage. Last known whereabouts were in Northern BC, I would imagine that he just pedaled back to Washington.
    There was a point on his tracker page from Anchorage.....but who the heck knows at this point.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •