mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Applying fatbike drilled rim techniques to a childs BMX

Anyone tried this?
    My intent is to re-lace a 32h rim as a 16h and drill out every missing spoke with a 7/8" hole. (or a 36H down to 18, which is more likely what it has)

My almost 8 year old son is tall and thin and most BMX are overkill for him. A 60lb child on a 26lb bike.
    He barely has enough power to make it up a slight incline, let alone a hill. I'm not worried about him busting it dirt jumping or something.
    Strength is not a major issue at his weight, I'm even considering making swiss cheese out of a junkyard mongoose frame just to see if it can hold it's structural integrity with 1/2-2/3 as much metal.

That way he can have a mini pugsley just like his dad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    Anyone tried this?
    My intent is to re-lace a 32h rim as a 16h and drill out every missing spoke with a 7/8" hole. (or a 36H down to 18, which is more likely what it has)

My almost 8 year old son is tall and thin and most BMX are overkill for him. A 60lb child on a 26lb bike.
    He barely has enough power to make it up a slight incline, let alone a hill. I'm not worried about him busting it dirt jumping or something.
    Strength is not a major issue at his weight, I'm even considering making swiss cheese out of a junkyard mongoose frame just to see if it can hold it's structural integrity with 1/2-2/3 as much metal.

That way he can have a mini pugsley just like his dad.
    I did something similar years ago. Used a crows foot pattern to lace a 36h rim wth 18 spokes. Do it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I should add that smaller runs are stronger by virtue of them merely being smaller. The 18 spoke 20" rim I laced for my kid's bike was plenty strong and actually the distance between spokes on thatsmall of a rim was about equal to a 32 spoke 29er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Trials rims are often drilled as well. And they don't baby them...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
    Trials rims are often drilled as well. And they don't baby them...
    That's what I run on the front of my Pugsley, a rear 47mm trials rim.

looks like it could save me a fair bit of weight, if it works well I may make a habit of it on my kids bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Back in the 1980s (or 1970s?) some Mongoose BMXs came with ~20mm holes between the spokes, combined with rimtapes which appeared to be alu - or at least shiny. So, it's not a new thing at all. Those old rims didn't seem noticeably less reliable than ones without holes.