mtbr member

Anyone using a leather saddle like a brooks saddle?

I've got a selle anatomica nsx saddle coming for my fatty and I'm curious if anyone else uses this type of saddle.

The saddle should be here today, and I'll be treating it with sno seal when it arrives (it's beeswax).

wanna ride bikes?
    i used to have a Brooks Flyer on my fatbike. it's super comfy for long seated rides (it has springs). it looks kinda cool, but it took me a long time to figure out how to get it to stop squeaking. (it was the leather-metal interface)

the two down sides for that saddle were weight (a good 2 lbs. yes you could feel it swinging back and forth on out of the saddle efforts) and the nose of the saddle was rock hard and narrow. so riding technical terrain, steep climbs, or any time your on the front of the saddle was uncomfortable at best, and painful at worst. if you ever slipped or made a mistake it could hurt you in a spot that's not fun to be hurt in.

so it's great if your just doing casual rides on snow, not as awesome when doing more aggressive MTBing like in summer.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

Music & Bikes
    I only use Brooks on all my bikes.

Unlike the Flyer stated by OneSpeed , there are other models wich are more MTB friendly.

Downside : a little more weight , takes a while to form to your Bu** , expensive.
    Upside : the most comfortable you'll ever try , the last one you'll buy , looks really nice.

Some I have :
    Swift Ti - 368g
    Swallow Ti - 360g
    Cambium C15 - 415g
    Cambium C17 - 421g

The Swift that is on my Fat bike was bought in 1998 , it was on my road bike before.
    One thing worth knowing : if you buy an expensive Ti saddle , Brooks charges a fixed price to change the leather if something happens , it's around 100$.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof View Post
    Some I have :
    Swift Ti - 368g
    Swallow Ti - 360g
    Cambium C15 - 415g
    Cambium C17 - 421g
    why 4 different models? if you had to pick the best one for MTB which would it be and why? bonus: how about the best one for a cross bike?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

mtbr member
    I use the selle and love it. Going on 5 almost 5 years now.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

mtbr member
    My last 2 saddles are Brooks aged B 17s and always use Sno Seal. Aged ones aren't as slick!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have a sprung B67 Select which uses a softer leather so no break in period.
    It's very wide and the most comfy saddle I've used but I only do slow tight singletrack and city riding with a very upright riding posture.
    I'd try a narrower C17 or pull the Selle Anatomica X off my road bike if I was leaning forward more.
    Regular Brooks leather requires a long break in, the Cambium and Selle Anatomica is soft from day 1.
    Totem KDS-D fatbike, Brompton M2L-X Ti, 6kg Dahon Dove, 1998 GT Forte Ti road bike

mtbr member
    I had a leather brooks briefly. Didn't even brake it in. It opened my eyes to how often I ride in the wet. Beach rides in the rain, quad trails in the spring thaw, creek crossings. I've even been know to ride the creek if there is less then a few feet of water. The first time the brooks got mushy because it got wet I decided it wasn't for me. And I didn't want to ruin a $125 saddle. I have considered a Cambium and will probably go that route someday.

mtbr member
    I rode a B17 and a Pro for years in the slush, but moved to a C17 since they came out a couple years ago. I would recommend using the Proofide or similar product and leaving it on the underside of the saddle. I would also recommend having a decent quality plastic bag to cover the whole saddle, not just the top like the saddle cover sold by Brooks. Target or Lunds/Byerly's seem to have decent ones to take stuff home that can be reused as small trash bags but also as great covers for the leather saddles. Leather saddles are quite nice but do require some care to keep them in good shape. Don't ride the saddle when wet as it will stretch out the leather get all swoopie. I hate seeing those saddles that are neglected and cracking, if the rider wasn't going to care for the leather they would have been better off with plastic. None of the Brooks I've had and neither of the current ones I still own have that characteristic neglected swoop and they're 10+ years old. Keep it nice, your butt will thank you and you will have it for a life time or at least will retain its value when you sell it to another rider.

@onespeed, go for the C series. No maintenance. Based on your other posts, I know you're no short lightweight so I would go with the C17, which is almost as wide as the B17. The C15 is for skinnier sit bones. I have 2 currently that get swapped around to my bikes.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

since 4/10/2009
    I tried a B17 on my commuter and just couldn't get it adjusted right. The leather aspect was comfy enough, but I either had a numb taint or I was sliding forward (and pushing back with my shoulders), creating other issues.

The Cambium saddles are shaped a little differently, and I might try one of those out (my shop has one for demo purposes) the next time I need a saddle for my commuter.

I am extremely pleased with the WTB Volt for my fatbike, and I'll keep buying those till WTB stops making it.

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    @onespeed, go for the C series. No maintenance. Based on your other posts, I know you're no short lightweight so I would go with the C17, which is almost as wide as the B17. The C15 is for skinnier sit bones. I have 2 currently that get swapped around to my bikes.
    This. While I love my B17s on other bikes, when it comes to winter riding, I use a C17.
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Currently running a Cambium C17 on my Fatboy, love it. I've also run a Brooks Conquest which is a leather mtb seat with springs, it's currently on my El Mariachi. I have an Brooks Professional on a '74 Raleigh Professional, it's the original seat for the bike. Have a spring Brooks B67 on a '67 Raleigh Sports, and a Selle Anatomica on my Spesh Roubaix. I like them all, but my favorite is the Conquest.

One thing about C17, for me, anything over 60 miles, I get pretty sore and/or numb. I found that the saddle flexed more than I liked. I much prefer a B17 or Berthoud. But my favorite "leather" saddle? SMP Glider.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Damn, I've never enjoyed a Brooks or similar cause they felt like riding a fence rail without the splinters. A real bummer cause they look awesome on a vintage bike.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    why 4 different models? if you had to pick the best one for MTB which would it be and why? bonus: how about the best one for a cross bike?
    I got the C17 and the C15 free as a beta tester from Brooks.

I have 2 Swift Ti , one on the city SS , one the Fatty.
    The Swallow is on my road bike
    The C17 is on my MTB
    I forgot that I also have a B17 on my winter beater ...
    I don't use the C15 presently , it doesn't fit me , as other mentioned , it's narrower than the C17.

What I would suggest ?
    Hard to tell , each have it's personality.

Swift is the most comfy but the Swallow has a form that suits more narrower Q (why I put it on my road) 'cause of the way the leather is attached under.
    B17 is perfect for commuting.

About the cambium series : it is more comfy on the get go than leather saddles , no need to break in , but it never reach half the comfort of a good old , broke in Brooks.
    They also don't need to be taken care of.

My favorite is the Swift Ti I must say.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    So far so good, this saddle is extremely comfortable. It's on my gravity dropper currently.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I've run X series Selle Anatomicas for 3 yrs. on my mountain and fat bikes. They are the most comfy saddle I've ever had. Durable too. I just wish it didn't come at such a weight penalty. I recently got one of their carbon ones which I like a lot, but I can't use it with all my seat posts d/t room for fore/aft adjustment.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    i used a gilles berthoud tester on a recent 5-day road/off-road mountainous route and it was comfortable on the flat and downhill portions. meanwhile, i needed to rest my butt every 2 hours on long climbs.

i also sat on a 2nd hand b17 (thus broken in) for a 300km audax road route and did not think about my ass even once.

i use a c17 for my commutes and for the neighborhood trails. still trying to get comfy to the different feel. i cannot sit on it for more than 2 hours without any break.

i am currently trying to break in a brooks imperial carved for touring.

i ride a salsa fargo

mtbr member

B17 on my motobacon, way/dry year round. Taint numbness is no longer an issue. Use the grease that came with the saddle, (proofhide?) In a normally arid climate but don't shy from some moisture. No problems in the two years I've had it.

Pict from pseudo cx "race"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I run the Brooks Swift on the 29er and a B17 on my touring bike. The Swift is extremely comfortable and took me no time to break in. Just got the B17 not too long ago and am still working it in. Love these saddles.

mtbr member
    I just got a B17 for my roadbike. My LBS said it'd take around 500 miles to break it in. I wouldn't want to use it on my fatbike since the conditions are so wet at times. Plus, I don't know how comfy it would be in cold, below freezing conditions.

mtbr member
    Didn't take 500 miles for mine to break in. Temps local are more mild, personally I draw the comfort line at single digits, no problem with that in mine. (Then again I live in a desert so less moisture as an issue)

Give'er!
    I have a handful of rides on a B17 and it ranges from "Ow, my arse!" to "Awesome!" depending on the day. Presently it's the "swift kick in the butt" I needed to get up and out of the saddle more! It seems more comfortable when it's warmer out (Which makes sense, given the material) and likewise I no longer have any doubt about where my sitbones are located!

sluice box
    Fatback-Team Pro Ti
    Anyone using a leather saddle like a brooks saddle?-20170327_171940.jpg
    Trek 930-Flyer S Special Aged
    Anyone using a leather saddle like a brooks saddle?-20170327_131251small.jpg
    Koga-Miyata tRavler- B17
    Anyone using a leather saddle like a brooks saddle?-20160708_205541.jpg

I used to run the first generation Selle Anatomica X-series on my Fatback, but the leather stretched quickly and the frame rails bent. I turned it into wall art and took my money to a better product like brooks.

For treating my saddles I used the books butter but also have used SnoSeal and Nicwax butter. Tip if you heat the wax in the microwave or on the wood stove it liquefies and it is easier to apply to the underside of the saddle. I just paint it on. I have lived in a temperate rainforest and have seen mold grow on a galvanized 10 penny nail overnight. This has worked well for my leather saddles for the last 10 years. The only problem is I had a young black bear chew on my Koga-Miyata b17 saddle once when I left it on the porch.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcksqrl View Post
    Didn't take 500 miles for mine to break in. Temps local are more mild, personally I draw the comfort line at single digits, no problem with that in mine. (Then again I live in a desert so less moisture as an issue)

I'm glad to hear it didn't take that long to break in!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've run a Selle Anatomica for two years. I absolutely love how the seat feels but rivets are not kind to my junk when it's cold outside. I will probably go back to more traditional mountain bike saddles.

Rednose/Greenback

Brooks Saddle- treatment

Credit to caminoloco' on treating a Brooks with Ballistol.

Brooks saddle

My saddle broke in after just a few rides. The process works well and I'd do it again. Fwiw, Ballistol has a unique odor but it's not that offensive. Once absorbed and the saddle dries, it's had to discern.
    38° 54' -77° 15