Owner Epic Biking

Anyone Using Fat Bike for Regular Commute?

On a bad day my commute is only about 6 miles, but on a good day I can stretch it out to at least twice that. In the past, winter commuting would be in that bad category. But now with the Moonlander I am able to travel the routes that were only accessible in the other three seasons.

This morning I rode down the local downhill/freeride trail on the way to work. OK, I didn't take any of the gap jumps or big drops, the teeter totter was broken, a lot of the wood features were not rideable, and the soft snow made it real challenging, but it was still a blast.

Anyone else commuting by fat bike on a regular basis?

Here is the video from this morning's ride.
    www.epicbiking.com
    Biked to the South Pole, check it out at:
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Yup, commute by fatbike all winter long, and I commute fat during the dry summer days just to mix up the summer commute. With Alaska's long winter season, I get to ride fat half the year it seems.

mtbr member

Anyone Using Fat Bike for Regular Commute?

Ya you bet ! I just got my pugsley build done last week, I commute by bicycle every day , year round, I was using my M2 with studded tires but if the trails were not plowed and groomed it was a real chore , I do 20km round trip so now with the Pug I dominate the trail regardless of snow conditions ! And I just love the ride and feel ! Love my fatty mega, can't wait to terrorize the trails this summer !! Anyone Using Fat Bike for Regular Commute?-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21360100854.165071.jpgAnyone Using Fat Bike for Regular Commute?-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21360100878.857593.jpg

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbeagle View Post

Anyone else commuting by fat bike on a regular basis?
    Yup, everyday year-round on my Mukluk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone Using Fat Bike for Regular Commute?-img00235.jpg  

mtbr member
    Yup, about half the time, like today for example. 2" of fresh show this morning made for an absolutely lovely ride. I alternate between my Moonie and my Cross Check with studs if it's really icy.

I'll commute on the Moonie in the summer occasionally out of boredom just to mix it up a bit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    My bike used to vary by season, but since I got fenders on my Pug, it is my go-to everyday all year round commuter. There are certainly some icy days that studs would be nice, but it's totally doable on the Pug w/ super low psi. And at 12-15 PSI it zips along quite will on dry pavement. On mornings where I have time, there is nothing better than taking the 'scenic route' to work, hitting the river bank, little sections of singletrack and sometimes even the skatepark for some quick fun.

mtbr member
    What I wouldn't have done to have a fattie when I was car free for 5 years in the early 90's! Riding in the winter was the worst, most of the time, I just had to walk it instead. Dragging my VooDoo MTB over yet another snow drift or through another street intersection sometimes just took longer than walking.
    I love bike commuting though. I work from home now and have for 11 years, when I get back out there, I told my hubby the minivan is gone and I am car free again. Totally commuting by bike again. I'm jelly of you guys!

mtbr member
    Every day. I picked up my Pugs in May of last year and have ridden it every day since then for the commute. In the summer months I threw some 2.4 Conti rubber on it and ran it that way. Can't think of a bike I'd rather ride for the commute. The fatties just put such a smile on my face that it makes the whole day better.

mtbr member
    I ride a bike 10 km to work and another 10 back every day. Most of the time on a Moonlander during the winter, but of course on bare pavement it would be silly and during the summer I prefer my fixie with 23 mm slicks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I ride my Pugsley to and from work every single day. It's been awesome this winter and I'm actually planning on throwing slicks on it and keeping it going through the summer too. Just a fun bike.

mtbr member
    33 Miles round trip on my Necro. I can switch the route to flat dirt roads, somewhat hilly dirt roads, a lot of hilly dirt roads, rails to trails, cut through some amazing singletrack or anything in between. Commuting on the Fatty is a blast. I wish I could do it everyday, but I'm happy with a few times a month right now.
    Disclaimer: I own a bike shop

Dubz bikes and boards
    Oxford, Michigan
    248-969-5986

www.dubzbikesandboards.com

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I've been commuting with my pugsley 20-25 miles each way, a couple times a week. I pump the tires to between 15-20 pounds to reduce rolling resistance, but it's still a ton of work. I can do the route on my 29er in 1-1/4 hours with MTB tires, less than an hour with 32mm road tires but on the Pug, it takes 2 hours and my legs are burning. The upshot is I can fly when I switch back to the 29er!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I ride every day to work, but I don't trust my fatbike locked up anywhere. Jealous of wherever ya'll work!

mtbr member
    I try to. But I haven't been enjoying the cold very much. And the first week I tried was very wet/slush and tons of salt, which resulted in a thrown chain that weekend on the trails, grrr. So I am kind of hesitant now but I was also sick for three weeks. I only have a 3-4 mile commute depending on route. Yeah, I'm a wuss.
    Fatbike Chicago on Facebook

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would love to deck the ZERO out for daily commute, but there is not a snowballs chance in hell I am commuting 104 miles a day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    2 winters for me fat on the 9 zero 7. Fenders made it a possibility. I liked the fat commuter so much I sold my summer commuter, a 1968 schwinn. I get to store mine in a secure garage at work.. I don't even have to carry a lock. One of the benefits of being a Yooper. Rode in this morning at seven below zero F.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yep, just started this week on my first fatbike - 9zero7 + Rohloff. Normal commute is 11km thru the forest. Next week will take the alternative route to get 2 beaches in the commute. The fat is a blast! My other bikes now feel skinny and sketchy.
    No snow here in sunny coastal Australia.

mtbr member
    Commute to work every day 6 miles each way into downtown Minneapolis on my Pugs. I leave my car at work in an underground garage as I need it for work. The bike get's parked in front of the car.

As many have mentioned, fenders are a must. I made mine from aluminum and corrugated plastic (old real estate sign).

While I just picked it up in December I think it will be a great summer bike to ride in the city. I just can't decide what to so for tires. Black Floyds and Marge Lites, Rabbit Hole's with Big Apples or Fat Franks, Marge Lites with the new Vee Speedster, Big Apples on the current Large Marge rims? So many options!

One think I know for sure, this bad boy is getting drop bars!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Every day on the Moonlander, only a 7 mile round trip though. I'm sure I'll switch things up here and there. Plan to slip some fenders onto my old CAAD and use it in the warmer months so I can get in a quick 15-30 mile detour on nice sunny days after work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MinneapolisCommuter View Post
    Commute to work every day 6 miles each way into downtown Minneapolis on my Pugs. I leave my car at work in an underground garage as I need it for work. The bike get's parked in front of the car.

As many have mentioned, fenders are a must. I made mine from aluminum and corrugated plastic (old real estate sign).

While I just picked it up in December I think it will be a great summer bike to ride in the city. I just can't decide what to so for tires. Black Floyds and Marge Lites, Rabbit Hole's with Big Apples or Fat Franks, Marge Lites with the new Vee Speedster, Big Apples on the current Large Marge rims? So many options!

I commute to work to Bloomington every day for about 5.5 miles on my Pugs. I only have a back fender right now but am working on that. I picked it up last July and am trying to figure out the same thing in regards to the tires. Let me know what you choose, you literally listed all of the same options I've been looking at!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MinneapolisCommuter View Post

I saw a guy at a fat event here n Colorado that had a very nicely decked out Necro with drop bars -- looked pretty cool and economical to me (much more experience for me on road bikes than MTBs).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I commute by bike every day. 6 miles each way, usually stretched out to ~15 miles round trip. The cyclocross bike used to be my mainstay, but the Mukluk 3 has given a new light to winter. My coworkers often want to take a spin in the parking lot and make me late from leaving work. And I hear at least one "sweet bike" on the way to work every day. As if I wasn't in a good enough mood.

mtbr member
    I've done a few this winter but the salt build-up just drives me crazy. (probably need better coverage fenders)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've been commuting on a half fat, 29'er with mukluk front larry/daryl combo since November 13miles, 2-3x per week. Does that count?

Moderator Moderator
    Year-round bikecommuter here in VT, and the fatty was my winter bike of choice for the 4 mile trail + 2 mile road route. Our office moved Monday, though, and with a longer trip (11.5 mi) and no good trail options, I'll be choosing the softtail more often.