Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005

Anyone ride a Titanium 20" Fatback ??

I recently made the switch from riding my regular mtb in the winter to a proper fat bike.I have a large Pugs that just doesnt fit me right.I am just a hair under 6' 2" w/long arms/legs.I was looking into the 20" Fatback,but the measurements are not too different from the ones posted on Fatbacks website.
    I would appreciate any opinions from similiar sized riders who happen to ride a 20" Fatback. Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Specific bike fit questions should be answered by the fella's selling the bike. I would give Speedway a call and ask them about your questions.

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the input wrcRS,but I will take a fellow mtbr's opinion over a mfg'rs any day.Fellow riders tend to be a bit more objective since they arent trying to sell me a bike.

mtbr member

Yes

Just bought one. The biggest frame I've ever owned, fits me like a glove. The slack HT angle and sloping top tube works wonders for me. Greg switched me at the last minute when he realized I had a long torso/short inseam. I also have a 17/M Wildfire, somewhat on the small size for me, but a 19/L would have never given me proper standover. I typically use 18 MTB frames; however my 29r is custom built.

Definitely give Greg your measurements, the headtube angle may be something you're not experienced with, as in my case. If I went 18, I agree with Greg the frame may have been too small.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shoulderfu View Post
    Thanks for the input wrcRS,but I will take a fellow mtbr's opinion over a mfg'rs any day.Fellow riders tend to be a bit more objective since they arent trying to sell me a bike.
    I am with wrcRS on this one. I think all the fatbike designers/manufacturers want you on the right sized bike for you. They don't want people venting on the forums about how crappy their bike handles when in reality it is just the wrong size. Without your specific measurement information input from fellow riders on a forum have to be taken with a grain of salt. To be fair you did describe yourself way better than the typical "I ride a medium X bike what size Y bike should I get?" question we sometimes see around here.

Good Luck with your purchase.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm 6-2 with long arms and legs and after significant debate have a 20" Fatback showing up this Thurs.
    I typically ride an XL but felt the stand over ht. was more important for a snow bike. I'll give ya my evaluation after I get out and ride this weekend. I've been waiting for 5 weeks to get this thing, so I'm gonna ride my ass off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    So I received my Fatback 20" Aluminum SL Build. It came with a Ritchey carbon 25mm offset seatpost and 110mm Axis-4 stem. Right away a felt the stem was too long, which was good, as I'm not w fan of long stems. I moved the seat foreword 10mm and it felt much better, not just for arm position, but for pedaling position as well,(knee over pedal axle). My first ride was up & down the back side of the ski mtn. via tight single track with challenging snow conditions. Going up the bike felt comfortable and stable with good power/aceleration. I stuggled a bit with the twicheyness of having too long a stem, going up some of the more challenging sections at SLOW speeds, but I feel that will be easily fixed with a shorter stem. Coming down it felt stable with acurate steering thru the super tight twisty scrub oak filled single track and was able to let'er rip with confedence when the trail opened up with fluid twisting lines. The stem length was much more a factor going up at slow speeds than down at high speeds, which is a reflection of proper frame geometry. The next day I went for a 5 hr. ride on rolling snowmobile trails with a few steep climbs. The bike was completely awesome. Comfortable, stable, powerful, light, agile, just a pleasure to ride. If all I rode was this type of trail I would probably leave the 110 stem. I'm going to play with 90 and 100 stem lengths with related seat postions this next week. I think I'm going to leave the seat were it is and go with a 100, but if I could fit a 90, that'd be better. Pete was totally willing to exchange, once I figuered it out.
    I'm 6-2, with a 6-4 wing span and a 34" inseam with my cycling shoes on. I ride an XL 29er full suspension and a 58cm cyclecross. I was hesitant to go with a 20", thinking a 22" would be more comfortable, but felt the stand over was much better for snow riding with the 20". After riding 2 days I'm really glad I didn't go with the 22.
    This bike is awesome, other than the stem length there is nothing I would change. I went with tubeless Husker Du's front and rear, Time Rox-S pedals and Cane Creek ergo bar ends and it exactly 30lbs. On that 2nd day, the Huskers out climbed the Endomorphs my partner had on every steep section.
    Hope this helps, feel free to respond with specific question.
    Just pull the trigger, you won't be dissapointed!

mtbr member
    I'm 6'1, 6'5 wingspan, 36in inseam and riding a 20 w/ 100mm stem. Get it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    I'm 6'1, 6'5 wingspan, 36in inseam and riding a 20 w/ 100mm stem. Get it!
    What he ^ said, I won't be injured forever.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    So after a couple more rides I've settled on a 90mm stem and was able to leave the seat in it's foreword position. The bike gained stability at slow speeds and has a more upright position which I like. The center of seat to center of bar is now the same as my XXL 29er Superfly 100 Elite.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by riptilyaflip View Post
    So after a couple more rides I've settled on a 90mm stem and was able to leave the seat in it's foreword position. The bike gained stability at slow speeds and has a more upright position which I like. The center of seat to center of bar is now the same as my XXL 29er Superfly 100 Elite.

Riptilyaflip, is there any chance you could post a side-by-side pic of both bikes?
    I ride a 2012 XXL SF 100 Elite as well and would love to compare visually.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'lI try and post that next week, as I've pulled the 90 stem off the SF and waiting to get a new 90 from Pete for the FB. My SF is stock, my seat is centered on the seatpost, it fits perfectly, and it's an awsome bike! I felt like the fit and position of the FB was similar to the SF, I'm anxscious to ride them side by side.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by riptilyaflip View Post
    I'lI try and post that next week, as I've pulled the 90 stem off the SF and waiting to get a new 90 from Pete for the FB. My SF is stock, my seat is centered on the seatpost, it fits perfectly, and it's an awsome bike! I felt like the fit and position of the FB was similar to the SF, I'm anxscious to ride them side by side.
    Cool, thanks