Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    my LBS claims that my bike wasn't one affected by the recall, yet I noticed today that the powdercoat is cracked above the disc mounts. Anyone have any advice?
    Yep;

Anybody with any actual cracks in paint anywhere close to what could be considered a stress point like a tube junction or bracket or rack mount should be VERY careful. Paint does not crack by itself, usually. It cracks because what it is on is flexing in a very localized fashion. In the case of a fork, not good.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusza View Post
    +1
    (I hope cable ties and duct tape will stick )
    I've had good luck with hose clamps. They've stayed in place over several hundred KMs of rough terrain.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Chronic Underachiever
    A question for those of you who got replacement 100mm forks: did your forks come with anythingcage mounts on the legs? Mine doesn't have those anymore (I hope cable ties and duct tape will stick ), also it seems beefier - suddenly fitting an inflated tyre into the fork became a great hassle. Maybe it's just Knard vs Larry casing..?
    I took mine in recently and was told that there are no more 100mm forks to replace the recalled ones. I got a Moonlander fork instead and will be replacing my front wheel with a Clownshoe on a 135mm hub (at my expense). Fortunately, the fork on my daughter's bike was not part of the recall, and she was in the market for a front wheel...so the old one will go to a good home.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    so given that Surly is not building bikes with offset forks anymore, does anyone know what they're sending out for replacements?

Stick an Offset Fork in it | Blog | Surly Bikes
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Fail again. Fail better.
    does anyone know what they're sending out for replacements?
    I had both of my forks (100mm non-offset & 135mm offset) replaced and for the offset one I got the same replacement, but that was a couple of months ago... maybe they ran out?
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads. -Dr Emmett Brown

Chronic Underachiever
    so given that Surly is not building bikes with offset forks anymore, does anyone know what they're sending out for replacements?
    I'd speculate that they may have some back stock of offset forks set aside for warrantee replacement. The linked blog post states that offset forks will continue to be produced as an aftermarket option.

I had both of my forks (100mm non-offset & 135mm offset) replaced and for the offset one I got the same replacement, but that was a couple of months ago... maybe they ran out?
    My LBS told me have run out of the 100mm forks and have discontinued them permanently. Note that although the aforementioned blog post blathers on way longer than it has to, there is neither boo nor peep mention of the 100mm variant. Likely you really can stick a fork in that option.

mtbr member

I've bent a pugsley fork

I've bent one hucking off a set of steps to flat. I've landed it every time but this last one felt a little weird after riding away. Looked down and could see and feel the difference immediately. It's a little raked out but still rode fine after. I haven't used it since and will be upgrading to moonie fork and clownshoe.

Anyone ever bent a Pugsley fork?-2013-07-17_07-20-39_960.jpg

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by MauricioB View Post
    I'd speculate that they may have some back stock of offset forks set aside for warrantee replacement. The linked blog post states that offset forks will continue to be produced as an aftermarket option.
    It seems that Surly have held back a number of forks for the recall claims. I went in last thursday and my LBS, Bicycle Revolutions, had the replacement in by tuesday. I fitted it last night and it's a noticeable difference. The recalled fork flexed considerably under braking; this one is pretty stiff. I haven't ridden it off road yet; it's raining today, hopefully I can get out for a spin Saturday am.

Minister of Propaganda
    I thought I'd chime here to let you know that we (Surly) do have replacement forks available in the 135mm Pugsley offset painted to match the Red and Yellow Pugs that were affected with the recall.

If you have not yet checked your Pugsley to see if it is involved with the recall please do so ASAP. We really don't want anyone getting hurt. Go to our website, surlybikes.com and click on the Recall link that is on the home page, below the bike model on the right hand side of the page.

You can always give us a call as well, 877 743 3191, if you have questions or concerns.

Stay classy,
    BoB
    www.surlybikes.com

Life isn't all about getting drunk and eating chicken fingers.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Thanks BoB! I'm really impressed by how quickly you guys were able to get it taken care of!

Chronic Underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob@Surly View Post
    I thought I'd chime here to let you know that we (Surly) do have replacement forks available in the 135mm Pugsley offset painted to match the Red and Yellow Pugs that were affected with the recall.
    Thanks for the response, but any word on the 100mm forks? Indeed gone for good?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I was just thinking about another Pug project and found this source for the old 100mm forks.

Surly Pugsley Fork 100mm Spacing Black 2012 No mounts - AEBike.com

I chose to do something else, so have no further knowledge.

mtbr member
    I want to get a SON 28 135 dynamo hub. But it will not allow wheel swapping in the event of an emergency because it only has the one disc rotor. I am thinking that when I get my Pugsley fork I might get a welder to weld up a brake mount on the right side of the fork, so I can use the hub the other way around from what it is meant (disc rotor on the right side, not left). Then if I need to swap wheels I can use the disc rotor mount to mount a sprocket for the back. Does anyone have advice on doing this?

Frt Range, CO
    I have an older 100mm fork with the cantilever studs hacked off, it's a little ugly and it's at my place in CO so I can't get to it for 3-4 weeks. PM me if interested. I have a Large Marge wheel with Shimano dyno too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    I want to get a SON 28 135 dynamo hub. But it will not allow wheel swapping in the event of an emergency because it only has the one disc rotor. I am thinking that when I get my Pugsley fork I might get a welder to weld up a brake mount on the right side of the fork, so I can use the hub the other way around from what it is meant (disc rotor on the right side, not left). Then if I need to swap wheels I can use the disc rotor mount to mount a sprocket for the back. Does anyone have advice on doing this?
    I would be concerned that if the hub shell isn't designed to experience the stresses of braking/pedaling, then it won't work well. If the diameters are correct, you could have freewheel threads cut into the hub. There are 2 sizes of freewheel that I'm aware of (smaller diameter "metric" sizes are less common and usually are only 13,14t).

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have the SON 28 135 on my 2014 Pugsley. Since it has a symmetric fork, I can't swap wheels anyways so that's not a concern for me. I really wish that Surly still had the 100mm forks... that'd probably be cheaper than the SON 135! But, that said, the hub works just fine and gives me power when and where I need it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

another surly fork, broken on the road

with a heavy fall. Heavy breaking on the road. Its a Shimano 200mm disc.

Anyone ever bent a Pugsley fork?-1-20140417-20140417-_dsc7286.jpg

So i have to buy a new fork.... Does anyone have a recommendation for a really solid 28/29 disc fork?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5