Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Fail again. Fail better.
    That's cool bugshield. I'm not making any assumptions nor bashing anyone/-thing, it's best to wait for what the pros say anyway.
    I'll stick around until then.
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads. -Dr Emmett Brown

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just e-mailed Vicious and Black Sheep with a sales query...can they duplicate the Pugs 100mm fork, with its attendant rack and fender mounts?

I'll go with whomever answers my questions/returns my e-mail at this point.

There has GOT to be a market for such a contraption.

middle ring single track

Surly's silence...

Quote Originally Posted by bugshield View Post
    The End:

I was advised by my LBS to stop posting about this but I know some things that others may like to know and don't appreciate gag orders.

It's pretty discomforting to me that I haven't seen an official recall announcement from Surly on the New 100mm Pugsley fork but I've been told by a couple dealers that it was recalled and would be reproduced (when I was hunting for an old 100mm Pug fork). Time may be your ally. Otherwise, the old 100mm Pugsley fork might be an option if you can find one.

Surly moved me to a 135mm replacement fork but it had other problems; The brake mount was way out of plane and could not be used without modifying the crap out of an adapter. Sorry I didn't say so earlier, I thought it would be a good time cool off and reflect on all this for a while.

I finally bought a Carver O'Beast fork and that was the end of fork problems for me.

To Surly's credit, the recall started before they even had my fork back. I assume my pictures prompted further testing and the results of those tests caused the recall and that they did not recall a bunch of forks based solely on my pictures. I think my case, at this point, got caught in a massive backwash of forks and fell through the cracks.

To Surly's discredit; It seemed to take forever to get a replacement, a shipping deadline was missed, a shipment was sent incomplete, the replacement had QC problems, only Surly dealers have been advised of the recall, and it was implied if not stated outright that I should keep this quiet (Oops).

There you have it; the rest of the story.
    ...speaks volumes. Between this fork and the cracks on certain Pugsly frames they have their hands full. They're probably trying to handle these issues internally before the CPSC steps in. IMHO the frame is more of a cosmetic flaw while the fork could be a real liability. It was interesting that Surly was lurking here and made one post before the silence set in. Orders from on high??? (QBP?) Or is it that they really don't know as of yet what the problems are? Full disclosure is always good... (don't wait until you need to come clean on Oprah!!!)

I'd love to get my hands on a couple of those cracked frames for cheap (out of warranty)

The Pugs is a great bike!
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

Fail again. Fail better.
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    The Pugs is a great bike!
    Amen.

On a positive note, Nick from gypsybytrade does seem to be running the new 100 mm fork with braze-ons without any issues. He's certainly put some miles on it.

Let's not spread rumors and give love a chance...

Chronic Underachiever
    Yeah, and having completely forgotten about this thread, I raced Triple D on one of these forks a couple of weeks ago. Held up fine. My body, on the other hand...

After

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Fing surly.. They never replied to one of my emails regarding a new sulry bike i got... Granted, it was not nearly as severe an issue as the cracks and bends being discussed here..

Everyone says good things abt surly, but i've only experienced the opposite... Shady... Next bike will not be a surly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    Fing surly.. They never replied to one of my emails regarding a new sulry bike i got... Granted, it was not nearly as severe an issue as the cracks and bends being discussed here..

Everyone says good things abt surly, but i've only experienced the opposite... Shady... Next bike will not be a surly
    Maybe they are getting strict about their customer service policy!

Blog | Surly Bikes

Sorry to hear about your troubles...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Maybe they are getting strict about their customer service policy!

Blog | Surly Bikes

Sorry to hear about your troubles...
    lol they are taking a leap of faith amassing this marketing campaign on their namesake.

yo vik, your blog was one of the reasons I got into a surly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    lol they are taking a leap of faith amassing this marketing campaign on their namesake.

yo vik, your blog was one of the reasons I got into a surly.
    I've got 4 Surly bikes in my garage and I'll likely buy more down the road. In some categories they are the only show in town.

So far my Surly bikes have treated me well and my customer service interactions with them have been good. Although their customer service seems to work best through a dealer.

If we were chatting about bikes over beers I'd still recommend them to to someone who wanted say a Big Dummy or Pugsley.

That doesn't mean I'm not sympathetic to other folks that aren't getting issues sorted or that they don't screw $hit up sometimes. Even companies that are on the whole pretty good mess up.

I nearly lost my marbles dealing with another company recently getting some customer service for a MTB. A company known for killer customer service. Unfortunately I was the 1-3% of their customers that fell through the cracks - again & again & again! So I can appreciate that it's really hard to have a wide perspective on an issue when you feel screwed over about a particular thing.

Now that I have calmed down I'd be willing to buy from the company in question again.

All that to say I feel for you and I hope you get it sorted out...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Fail again. Fail better.
    Case solved...
    Safety Recall

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusza View Post
    Case solved...
    Safety Recall
    Glad to see Surly doing the right thing. More info here.

Quote Originally Posted by http://surlybikes.com/pages/surly_bikes_recalls_bicycle_forks_due_to_fall_haza rd
    Incidents/Injuries: Surly Bikes has received one report of a fork bending above the disc brake mount. No injuries have been reported.
    Interesting that I seem to be the only person who has bent one of these forks...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    i have a bent one as well.. only i was going into a corner and the damn thing folded on me.. i have a pugsley and a neck romancer... i was on the standard pugs when it happened.. my gf was on the neck romancer.. my pugs has the red offset fork.. neck romancer has the moonlander.. that will be getting checked asap to make sure it is.. so now we know of two for sure.. only i did suffer a few minor injures.. some pretty big bruises on my upper leg and nice one on my shin.. first i thought i might have busted my leg. dont know what part of the bike i hit with it.. but its a deep ass bruise.. and bounced my head off the dirt.. thankfully i was wearing a helmet... so other than a few small scrapes and cuts, and a few gnarly bruises and a sore neck i made out ok.. coulda been worse i guess.. wrote the company and email.. shouldnt have quality control problems on a bike that costs what it does... brake was rubbing really bad.. wasnt rideable.. we were 10 miles from civilization deep in the woods.. so me and a buddy of mine popped the front wheel off.. and had to actually put our weight on it to bend it back so it would be rideable to some degree.. kinda a bummer on a $1800.00 bike that really doesnt have much special stuff on it other than fat tires.. i was looking at getting a surly karate monkey.. cause i was in love with my surly's until now... wanted to go with their 29er single speed cause of all the things you can do with them.. but might have to go another route now.. they brag about their parts being made in taiwan because of the quality taiwan produces.. hmm.. somebody over their seemed to miss the mark.. i talked to a guy at surly the other day and supposedly the company that builds their forks used the wrong thickness of tubing on that day.. how the hell does somebody just in one day change the diameter of tubing on about 975 forks...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Farmer View Post
    i talked to a guy at surly the other day and supposedly the company that builds their forks used the wrong thickness of tubing on that day.. how the hell does somebody just in one day change the diameter of tubing on about 975 forks...
    I weighed my uncut fork at 1150 grams and expected it to weigh 1168. I would think that thicker tubing would be a difference of more than 18 grams but what do I know?

Got a picture of the bent fork?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I do have some pictures but doesnt look as severe as yours.. it wasnt anyways.. but now its not because I had to bend it back ad much as I could to ride it out of the woods.. I dont wanna post pictures yet.. I dont think surly sucks by any means and dont want anyone to think that.. just frustrating that it happened.. I know stuff happebs and sometimes stuff just gets missed or whatever.. were all human.. but definently need to get word out to the people with the bad forks so nobody gets hurt in a bad way.. can u post a pic of the fork u went to?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Farmer View Post
    ...can u post a pic of the fork u went to?
    How about a link?

The Carver fork is very light. The other alternative I looked at was a lefty.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Talked to matt moore at quality bike products today.. he assured me the new forks were good to go.. they recognized whatever the issue was and it was corrected.. I feel confident after talking with him that all of us fat bikers surly and salsa riders are good to go.. I mentioned maybe putting the word out on some forums and what not just so those bikers that maybe dont go to their dealers for every repair can hear about the fork recall.. I still love my bike.. was frustrated at first bit they were on the ball and contacted me asap.. I didnt wanna ride either of my fatbikes until I had a better understanding of the situation.. I feel confident my new fork will handle just about anything I throw at it! He told me they did the new testing and they passed! Thanks surly and riders get your forks checked out.. and hopefully I see you all out on the trail!! Ride on!

mtbr member
    Just so any Pugs fork recall folks don't feel like they are the only ones feeling the pain:

Safety Recall: Salsa Vaya & La Cruz Bicycle Forks | Salsa Cycles
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    my LBS claims that my bike wasn't one affected by the recall, yet I noticed today that the powdercoat is cracked above the disc mounts. Anyone have any advice?
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    my LBS claims that my bike wasn't one affected by the recall, yet I noticed today that the powdercoat is cracked above the disc mounts. Anyone have any advice?
    Contact Surly. You could have a fork that needs to be replaced and one that is not part of the recall. I wouldn't take any chances with my front wheel/fork - the consequences of a failure are too gnarly.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    What bike is it? Year, fork?

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by firedfromthecircus View Post
    What bike is it? Year, fork?
    yellow, 22" standard pugsley, purchased January.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Took it into Bicycle Revolutions, my trusted Surly Dealer in Philly. One of the mechs looked at the cracked powder coat on the front of the fork above the disc mount and thought that it did look like a valid warranty item. I'm bringing it back in on thursday for the shop owner to take a look at and begin the warranty process. I'm not looking forward to having the bike out of commission for a week or more and a little disappointed that the replacement fork won't match, but that's the way of it, I guess.

mtbr member
    So its only the offset forks that had a problem right?

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Desert Walker View Post
    So its only the offset forks that had a problem right?
    Go check the OP on page 1; his was a 100mm fork; not the 135mm offset.

You need to check the date stamped on the steer tube.

Check the Surly site for recall specifics.
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

Fail again. Fail better.
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    Go check the OP on page 1; his was a 100mm fork; not the 135mm offset.

You need to check the date stamped on the steer tube.

Check the Surly site for recall specifics.
    +1

A question for those of you who got replacement 100mm forks: did your forks come with anythingcage mounts on the legs? Mine doesn't have those anymore (I hope cable ties and duct tape will stick ), also it seems beefier - suddenly fitting an inflated tyre into the fork became a great hassle. Maybe it's just Knard vs Larry casing..?
    Anyways, for such a big recall Surly were quite fast with suppling replacement forks (two in my case) which is cool.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast