Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    middle ring single track

Curry Squirt....

Quote Originally Posted by bugshield View Post
    VERY cool.

I take it that your fork survived all this in style. What fork do you have?

I wouldn't know where to start the calculations on how much load this fork got when it bounced off the second half of a double but I would guess SUBSTANTIALLY more than the one I folded. Pugsley dirt jump disaster!
    ...best color name ever! I'm mentioning this because that's the color of the year of my bike/fork; built up from separate NOS eBay purchases so I'm not sure of the exact vintage but I'm guessing the pair is 3~4 years old. It's the stock offset 135 mm Pugs fork with the canti bosses but no bottle mounts.

I also can get my hands on a Pugs Necro that I built up for my son; that frame came new from an online dealer but the fork was from eBay (also NOS 135 mm offset but the newer non-canti model) . Both frames are large (20") sizes.

I very seldom (until just recently) do stoppies on my Pugs although I've never had any qualms about doing this; Surly's stuff always seems "hell-bent for leather" stout. On the other hand, my son is often doing stoppies on his and that's the main reason your fork failure has me so interested in this topic. I'm a little under 200# soaking wet but my son is 250# plus---he scares me sometimes with his escapdes. (BTW his bike has BB7's)

The column strength of the fork blades should be adequate (again; I can only assume what the wall thickness is) for most riding; I suspect the wheels might taco before the fork buckles (more damned assumptions) ---but it's the reactive torque from the brake that gives me reason for concern. Puts a bending moment into the small end of an end-loaded column that's way over my head to analyze. That why I'm hoping that "real" engineer will surface!
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member

The Jugsley

I never did like the flexing of the stock Pugsley fork. Problem solved with a Jones Truss fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever bent a Pugsley fork?-ditch-witch.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hi bugshield,

Surly here. Wow, that is a nasty bend. We hope you managed to roll out ok. We are sorry you had this experience with one of our products.

Please work with your LBS to get the fork sent in as soon as possible. It will be covered under warranty. We really need to check it out and see what is going on here. This obviously shouldn't happen, and we will be investigating immediately once we get the fork back.

If anyone else has any problems with any Surly product, ever, please feel free to contact us directly or work with your local bicycle shop. Just send an email to derby(at)surlybikes.com. We value your feedback, and you. Thanks, Surly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snackeyp View Post
    Hi bugshield,

Surly here. Wow, that is a nasty bend. We hope you managed to roll out ok. We are sorry you had this experience with one of our products.

Please work with your LBS to get the fork sent in as soon as possible. It will be covered under warranty. We really need to check it out and see what is going on here. This obviously shouldn't happen, and we will be investigating immediately once we get the fork back.

If anyone else has any problems with any Surly product, ever, please feel free to contact us directly or work with your local bicycle shop. Just send an email to derby(at)surlybikes.com. We value your feedback, and you. Thanks, Surly

This is such a refreshing attitude compared with other companies that give so many problems over warranty claims!
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It's good to know about this stuff. And I applaud everybody for their civil manners!

I've got an enabler fork on the way and I will definitely be putting it through some "testing" prior to my first trip to the trail.

A friend that owns a local shop bent his Karate Monkey fork in much the same way as the OP. I think he just called it a wash and ordered a replacement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hi bugshield,

Thanks for checking in. The process is already rolling with my LBS but no real news yet. Please PM me if you want to get more info to associate this case with that one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi I'm new to the forums.I'm a machinist and pro gunsmith and know allot about metallurgy and heat treatment. After a part is hardened it is tempered or drawn to soften it to the necessary hardness to meet spec's and remove brittleness.After welding or hydro-forming the parts are often stress relieved to prevent cracking or twisting & warpage while this is a heat treatment is dose nothing to harden the material it may in fact remove unwanted hardness.A part can be tested with a triangle file if the teeth of the file skip off the surface it has been hardened.The dropouts may be hard and the forks unhardened.I hope your problem is fixed soon.

Frt Range, CO
    I doubt the fork blades and dropouts are heat treated. Bicycle chromoly tubing is designed to be welded with no post-weld treatment required.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I tried to order a 100mm fork from both Treefort and Fatbikes.com for a generator hub Pugsley I'm thinking of building up; both sites had showed them in stock when I ordered. Treefort said the fork has been discontinued and they have no more stock, and Fat bikes said it's been recalled and Surly is working on a new one. I emailed them back to see if there were more details, but haven't heard anything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bugshield View Post
    I think that goes without saying.

The question is, Do I trust the replacement?
    I would totally trust Surly. They are a reputable company that are known for making very reliable bikes. Have you contacted them?

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorgarret View Post
    I would totally trust Surly...Have you contacted them?
    it's in the thread:
    Hi bugshield,

Surly here. Wow, that is a nasty bend. We hope you managed to roll out ok. We are sorry you had this experience with one of our products....Thanks, Surly

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorgarret View Post
    I would totally trust Surly... Have you contacted them?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by post #3
    My LBS is working on that for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly
    Please work with your LBS...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeeha! I got my parts yesterday and built the bike up again today! My wife got to take her first ride this afternoon and LOVES it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Awesome news! Glad they took care of you.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Soo, the Pugsley fork has been recalled? What's going on here?

I ride a 2011 Snowblind Pugsley with the stock fork. I still have all of my teeth, and would like to keep it that way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The fork in question is the NEW 100MM Pugsley fork (with three Anything Cage braze-ons up each leg of the fork and no cantilever brake bosses).

Talk to your Surly dealer if you have one.
    Last edited by bugshield; 12-11-2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Formatting

How much does it weigh?

It truly reminds me of all the broken Boxxer forks in the past.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jlimouze View Post
    I tried to order a 100mm fork from both Treefort and Fatbikes.com for a generator hub Pugsley I'm thinking of building up; both sites had showed them in stock when I ordered. Treefort said the fork has been discontinued and they have no more stock, and Fat bikes said it's been recalled and Surly is working on a new one. I emailed them back to see if there were more details, but haven't heard anything.
    A couple days ago I called Surly up and spoke to one of the crew about the 100mm Pugs fork. Discontinued; no further information available. I would really love to get hold of something that could accommodate an Endomorph if needed yet allow me to run a 100mm dyno hub up front.

Searching for a closeout Pugsley fork led me down a rabbit hole which ended at Vicious Cycles. Does anyone have experience with their Snow fork? Looks like I may end up going that route if all else fails.

mtbr member
    BlackSheep makes a righteous Ti unicrown fork and their Steel version is pretty darn alright too...I own both and run Schmidts on both.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AnalogKid View Post
    A couple days ago I called Surly up and spoke to one of the crew about the 100mm Pugs fork. Discontinued; no further information available. I would really love to get hold of something that could accommodate an Endomorph if needed yet allow me to run a 100mm dyno hub up front.

Searching for a closeout Pugsley fork led me down a rabbit hole which ended at Vicious Cycles. Does anyone have experience with their Snow fork? Looks like I may end up going that route if all else fails.
    The End:

I was advised by my LBS to stop posting about this but I know some things that others may like to know and don't appreciate gag orders.

It's pretty discomforting to me that I haven't seen an official recall announcement from Surly on the New 100mm Pugsley fork but I've been told by a couple dealers that it was recalled and would be reproduced (when I was hunting for an old 100mm Pug fork). Time may be your ally. Otherwise, the old 100mm Pugsley fork might be an option if you can find one.

Surly moved me to a 135mm replacement fork but it had other problems; The brake mount was way out of plane and could not be used without modifying the crap out of an adapter. Sorry I didn't say so earlier, I thought it would be a good time cool off and reflect on all this for a while.

I finally bought a Carver O'Beast fork and that was the end of fork problems for me.

To Surly's credit, the recall started before they even had my fork back. I assume my pictures prompted further testing and the results of those tests caused the recall and that they did not recall a bunch of forks based solely on my pictures. I think my case, at this point, got caught in a massive backwash of forks and fell through the cracks.

To Surly's discredit; It seemed to take forever to get a replacement, a shipping deadline was missed, a shipment was sent incomplete, the replacement had QC problems, only Surly dealers have been advised of the recall, and it was implied if not stated outright that I should keep this quiet (Oops).

There you have it; the rest of the story.
    Last edited by bugshield; 02-01-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: One of my statements was about a message that was implied and not a quote.

Fail again. Fail better.
    Odd story, especially the STFU part of it...
    If it actually has been recalled, I hope Surly will make a statement ... Surly?
    I'm just building up a new wheel for the 100mm pugsley fork I bought new not so long ago... am I risking my pristine smile by riding one?
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads. -Dr Emmett Brown

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm really interested in hearing more about this too. I was planning on building up a Front Dynamo hub-d Pugsley. What's up Surly?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusza View Post
    If it actually has been recalled, I hope Surly will make a statement ... Surly?
    I'm just building up a new wheel for the 100mm pugsley fork I bought new not so long ago... am I risking my pristine smile by riding one?
    Might want to check with Surly before building up the new wheel to be sure.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Fail again. Fail better.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Might want to check with Surly before building up the new wheel to be sure.
    Surly have been somehow sloppy with responding to my previous email - two weeks no reply - so I'm not holding my breath.
    But I contacted the UK distributor and they haven't heard about any recall.
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads. -Dr Emmett Brown

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusza View Post
    I should try to be more accurate. That's my interpretation not a quote.

I was advised by my LBS on several occasions that I should not be posting about this on MTBR, manufacturers really don't like that, etc. They were polite about it but I got the message loud and clear.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast