NMBP

Anyone With a 12-36 Cassette on a Moonlander?

I'm wondering if anyone is running a 12-36 cassette on the stock Moonlander hub. If so, any issues? And how far is the dial going with you and your fatty on the scales?
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    I'm using a 12-36 with no problem. I changed the derailleur to an XT shadow and SLX shifter. I run a 22 single ring up front. I ride in Jeep Mode most of the time. It makes going up hills easier and I've never run out of high or low gears.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone With a 12-36 Cassette on a Moonlander?-image.jpg  

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    I'm using a 12-36 with no problem. I changed the derailleur to an XT shadow and SLX shifter. I run a 22 single ring up front. I ride in Jeep Mode most of the time. It makes going up hills easier and I've never run out of high or low gears.
    Is that with the stock XT rear hub? I have read that the 12 X 36 cassette should only be used with the Shimano M629 and M529 hubs.

mtbr member
    Whatever stock hub is on the clown shoe wheels is still on there. Unscrewed the 12-34 nd installed the 12-36.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    I have read that the 12 X 36 cassette should only be used with the Shimano M629 and M529 hubs.
    Do you know why?
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by marathon marke View Post
    Do you know why?
    I'm pretty sure all that was is something related to Shimano's description of their hubs for 29ers. Their ultra-cheapo hubs can't always handle the torque of a 36t cog... so they came out with their "29er specific" M529 to handle the increased torque. I wouldn't sweat it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've used the 12-36 on my 29ers and fat bikes with stock hubs with no issues. Our mountain tandem runs the 12-36 with an Actiontec 20t up front. We did destroy a Ringle Bubba hub with that set up but it was a number of years old and we were in Fernie BC when we cooked it. I've since rebuilt the wheel with a steel freehub Chris King and don't even worry about it anymore. Seeing as most 10sp set ups are running 36t with no warnings I think Shimano is overstating the risk a bit.

NMBP
    Thanks for the replies. Other than 2 bent cassettes, 1 bent derailleur, and 1 broken chain, I've done very little drive train damage in 25 years of mountain biking. Besides, going from 20-34 to a 20 -36 isn't a huge jump, although my knees will appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    Dude, those fenders look cool on that bike.

Did the rear come that way or did you cut it down?

What brand are they?

mtbr member
    I put a 12-36 on my Pugs and it works great. I did have to tighten axle nuts on the cassette side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo-Rider View Post
    Dude, those fenders look cool on that bike.

Did the rear come that way or did you cut it down?

What brand are they?
    They are Big O mfg shorties for a Necro. With a little modification, they look factory.
    Here's the link.
    **NEW** Short & Fat
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    I'm pretty sure all that was is something related to Shimano's description of their hubs for 29ers. Their ultra-cheapo hubs can't always handle the torque of a 36t cog... so they came out with their "29er specific" M529 to handle the increased torque. I wouldn't sweat it.
    I shredded the stock XT freehub on my puglsey last month with the stock 11-34 cluster. ymmv.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tommillermn View Post
    I've used the 12-36 on my 29ers and fat bikes with stock hubs with no issues. Our mountain tandem runs the 12-36 with an Actiontec 20t up front. We did destroy a Ringle Bubba hub with that set up but it was a number of years old and we were in Fernie BC when we cooked it. I've since rebuilt the wheel with a steel freehub Chris King and don't even worry about it anymore. Seeing as most 10sp set ups are running 36t with no warnings I think Shimano is overstating the risk a bit.
    I remember reading a while back that Shimano claimed they weren't passing the new CEN standards, so they had to beef up the 529 and 629 hubs. Don't know if it's true, but that's what they claimed.

Edit: Also, I ended up going with the M629 hubs as they're cheap and have 32 POE. No problems with a 36T cog.