mtbr member

Anybody else do the Black Fly Challenge?

I saw about 7 other Fatties out of 500 bikes in this 40 mile race from Indian Lake to Inlet in the Adirondacks this past Saturday. I finished in 3:11 and was definitely missing my granny gear the last ten miles as there were some loooong drawn out climbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    I saw about 7 other Fatties out of 500 bikes in this 40 mile race from Indian Lake to Inlet in the Adirondacks this past Saturday. I finished in 3:11 and was definitely missing my granny gear the last ten miles as there were some loooong drawn out climbs.
    I rode my Pugsley for the second year in a row; finished in 2:33. I was the only fat last year, it was great to see some more this year and hope the trend continues. Yeah after the long climb up to Wakely, those little hills at mile 30 really hurt!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Were you the guy running the Black Floyds with the Lefty??

mtbr member
    I did the Black Fly also on my Lefty Fatback. Finished in 2:59:29. Did it last year on a full suss mountain bike and feel I had more fun on the fat bike this year than on the mountain bike last year. I plan to do it again on the fat bike next year. Hope to see a separate class for the fat bikes next year and it would be great to see 20 or more fat bikes show up next year also. My bike was originally built as 1 x 9 with a 32 tooth chain ring, and I had no intention of doing the Black Fly on it. But after riding in the snow a couple of times and thinking about the possibility of doing the Black Fly I added a 22 tooth ring and it worked out perfect. I don't know how guys ride that course on single speeds although a friend did exactly that and made it sound like it was no big deal. Said he did not walk any hills and finished not too far behind me. I needed every gear I had.

mtbr member
    I was running a 1x9 with a 32t on my Mukluk and walked a few times! I was rueing the day I took off my granny!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    Were you the guy running the Black Floyds with the Lefty??
    I was running Floyds, but have the Moonlander fork on my Necro Pugs. I have a 22 and 36 up front and was happy to have the granny on the hills.

Floyds work great on this course, had them pumped up to 22 psi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Anybody else do the Black Fly Challenge?

I was there on my Moonlander. Cleared the finish line 3:36.06. It was my first time doing the Black Fly, and I had a blast. Made one guy "feel worthless" when I passed him going uphill in the beginning road section, and in the rocky sections I was busy popping off rocks while everyone else was going around them. Looking forward to doing it again next year, but will be getting some BFLs instead of Bud and Lou.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the fatties dominated those rocky downhills and the last mile of muddy "singletrack". Guys were falling left and right as I was motoring through the slop.