Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: asollie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    356

    Any XXL fat bikes aside from the Moonlander and Ice Cream Truck?

    I'm a super tall dude (6'7") thinking about picking up a fat bike this winter. Unfortunately, my options are severely limited by the frames that will fit me. Anyone know of any companies besides Surly making XXL fat bikes?

    PS: Tall people might find my ongoing list of bikes for the tall interesting: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: maddslacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    528
    Fatback goes up to a 22"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watermonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,107
    Bikes Direct has the Lurch at 22". They're supposed to ship UPS within 2 weeks, floating in the big boat over the ocean now - they might have XL's left in stock. Pugs geometry, room for 5" tires, 150/190 hub spacing, if you can handle slumming it with a BD rig.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    584

    Any XXL fat bikes aside from the Moonlander and Ice Cream Truck?

    You can get a Ventana El Gordo in XXL.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,796
    https://www.facebook.com/cyclehaven/...type=1&theater


    yeah... the guy that rides this bike is like 6'7".
    I like turtles

  6. #6
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    You can get a Ventana El Gordo in XXL.
    ^^^this.
    That said, I'm 6'8" and ride a 21" 9:Zero:7. I had to use an extra-long seat poI'm eveno get a proper fit (435mm KS lev), but otherwise, the bike is very comfortable. I'm even running a 70mm stem and am considering going even shorter.

  7. #7
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    ^^^this.
    That said, I'm 6'8" and ride a 21" 9:Zero:7. I had to use an extra-long seat poI'm eveno get a proper fit (435mm KS lev), but otherwise, the bike is very comfortable. I'm even running a 70mm stem and am considering going even shorter.
    Wow... I'm 6'5" and I also ride a 21" 907, but I have a 100mm stem and a setback seatpost. Oh well, different strokes.
    I like turtles

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: asollie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    356
    The 907 looks like it is much smaller than the El Gordo and the Ice Cream Truck, but I can't find their stack and reach so I can't be sure.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    33
    Framed is making 22" XL fatbikes now.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: asollie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by geffr999 View Post
    Framed is making 22" XL fatbikes now.
    XL/22" isn't really big enough for 6'7". You can make it work, but it doesn't fit like most bikes fit most people. XXL is where its at.

  11. #11
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,065
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    The 907 looks like it is much smaller than the El Gordo and the Ice Cream Truck, but I can't find their stack and reach so I can't be sure.
    i don't know the stack and ETT off hand, but the 21" 907 was much better than my 22" pugsley on that regard. The only place my 9:Zero:7 is lacking for me in geometry, is the seat tube, which is about 22mm too short to get a proper fit with a 400mm seat post. Fortunately, I'd always wanted a dropper post and the KS Lev 150mm dropper has a 435mm overall length, making it perfect for the application. Personally, I like the relative compactness of the 21" frame, (although i would hesitate to call it "compact")- it handles reasonably well and is easy to throw around on tight, technical trails.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    252
    Any chance there are some new options out there?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    160

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by 6foot4 View Post
    Any chance there are some new options out there?
    Assuming it's for you...and your screen name indicates your height, at 6'-4", there are any number of 21" frames that should work. I am 6'-3" and have had a Mukluk and currently an Otso.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Assuming it's for you...and your screen name indicates your height, at 6'-4", there are any number of 21" frames that should work. I am 6'-3" and have had a Mukluk and currently an Otso.
    Hmmm...I haven't tried any fatbikes, but almost any XL or 21" bike I've ever been on made me feel like I was in a circus.

    I'm a 36 inch inseam, so my legs require a raised seat and the proportion on the bike just gets really screwy unless I have a bigger frame.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by eFat View Post
    Can you get those bikes delivered in the states?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    252
    Also, looks like Surly discontinued the XXL Ice Cream Truck

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    160
    Where to buy MAXX products?
    Residents from outside Germany can order and purchase our products direct from our headquarters in Rosenheim. Bikes and frames can be configured by our configurator in this website. Our prices include German 19% VAT, which will not be invoiced outside EU. We ship worldwide to affordable rates directly to your home address. Please call for further informations: 0049 8031 2605-30 or Email: info@maxx.de
    I'm not far from them but I bought online and it went well.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    252
    Where did you see that? Link please?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    160

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by 6foot4 View Post
    Also, looks like Surly discontinued the XXL Ice Cream Truck
    Where do you find this discounted xxl ice cream truck?!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    20
    Im 6 5 260 and went with the FATBACK Rhino 22. Next to me it looks like a regular MTB. I feel like I have adequate room, but I could see being cramped if I was 2 taller. Obviously the seat is high and the stem was swapped to get more height. Took it out for its first single track shakedown run on Friday after the frame was replaced due to a manufacturing defect. I was amazed how I was able to go up, down, and climb over almost everything. Its quite a workout to lift and maneuver those giant tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any XXL fat bikes aside from the Moonlander and Ice Cream Truck?-79f65732-660a-40b3-be51-6c73c7beff97.jpg  

    Any XXL fat bikes aside from the Moonlander and Ice Cream Truck?-15bc7f57-6aaa-4727-acd8-63993e9a8e0f.jpg  

    Any XXL fat bikes aside from the Moonlander and Ice Cream Truck?-a37a2567-f9c4-40fb-b690-f511fd20d52d.jpg  

    Any XXL fat bikes aside from the Moonlander and Ice Cream Truck?-daade1b7-3178-4d20-a54d-55ce61be6dba.jpg  


  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBran View Post
    Im 6 5 260 and went with the FATBACK Rhino 22. Next to me it looks like a regular MTB. I feel like I have adequate room, but I could see being cramped if I was 2 taller. Obviously the seat is high and the stem was swapped to get more height. Took it out for its first single track shakedown run on Friday after the frame was replaced due to a manufacturing defect. I was amazed how I was able to go up, down, and climb over almost everything. Its quite a workout to lift and maneuver those giant tires.
    I'd probably go with the corvus just because I'm looking for a winter bike. How does she ride?

  24. #24
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,796
    Quote Originally Posted by 6foot4 View Post
    Where do you find this discounted xxl ice cream truck?!
    If you read Surly's blog on the new ICT they describe how they condensed the frame sizes to S, M and L. It's all tweener sizes. Supposedly three frame sizes cover what five did before. I want one but not sure if it's going to work out for me.
    I like turtles

  25. #25
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,796
    I have a 410mm Thomson setback post you may want for that.
    I like turtles

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    20
    She rips and feels light although truthfully I have nothing to compare her to. I havent ridden a MTB on a trail in 8 years until the other day. She definitely gave me confidence though, that I can say. And I didnt feel beat up afterwards. Ive also ridden her on the beach several times so she does float really well. According to their website you get the same balanced flotation of the Corvus, so their both designed for the snow where the Skookum is more for single track. The weight is more centered over both tires. This was at the top of my budget otherwise I may have also gone with the Corvus and saved a couple of lbs.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I have a 410mm Thomson setback post you may want for that.
    Wish Id Known that earlier. I just put on a cheap carbon setback from chainreactioncycles.

  28. #28
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,796
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBran View Post
    Wish Id Known that earlier. I just put on a cheap carbon setback from chainreactioncycles.
    A word of warning... I cracked one of my 907 frames right where the top tube and seatpost meet running a setback post and 29+ wheels. I was buzzin' through Stillwell right after Hurl Hill and did that cool right turn that you catch a little air on the way down before going up again. I had the frame welded and switched to a straight post and got a slightly longer stem to move forward a little. Seems to have worked. I haven't broken it again.
    I like turtles

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    A word of warning... I cracked one of my 907 frames right where the top tube and seatpost meet running a setback post and 29+ wheels. I was buzzin' through Stillwell right after Hurl Hill and did that cool right turn that you catch a little air on the way down before going up again. I had the frame welded and switched to a straight post and got a slightly longer stem to move forward a little. Seems to have worked. I haven't broken it again.
    Thanks for letting me know. I compared the two posts and it is just slightly more setback than the stock one. Hopefully Ill be okay. With the Adamo Im using your supposed to sit further forward on the seat, which is why I wanted it further back. With the stock seat I probably wouldnt use the setback.

    I saw from your post that were the same height. Whats your weight?

  30. #30
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,796
    About 255.
    I like turtles

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    146
    I am 65 and run a xl wozo with a 50 mm stem and 120 fork. Running no spacers due to a low cut fork. I plan to bump the fork to to 140 for a little more stack. Other bike is an 2017 xxl trek fuel. Both fit great.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    I am 65 and run a xl wozo with a 50 mm stem and 120 fork. Running no spacers due to a low cut fork. I plan to bump the fork to to 140 for a little more stack. Other bike is an 2017 xxl trek fuel. Both fit great.
    Which model trek fuel comes in an xxl? I only see sizes up to 21

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBran View Post
    Which model trek fuel comes in an xxl? I only see sizes up to 21
    All aluminum fuel ex come in xxl 23. No luck if you need carbon.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    186
    THIS HOLDS ME..IT WILL HOLD LITTLE OL YOU.

    KHS 4 SEASON 3000

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any XXL fat bikes aside from the Moonlander and Ice Cream Truck?-myride.jpg  


Similar Threads

  1. Surly Ice Cream Truck
    By non-conformist in forum Surly
    Replies: 1244
    Last Post: 05-14-2018, 01:27 PM
  2. Surly Ice Cream Truck versus Surly Moonlander
    By Vinnie Barbarino in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-05-2015, 02:33 PM
  3. Where is my ice cream truck?
    By GISdork in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: 05-21-2015, 09:43 AM
  4. Surly Ice Cream Truck - Single Speed
    By hugecgar in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2014, 01:26 PM
  5. Who is in on the Ice Cream Truck
    By rjedoaks in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 04:13 AM

Members who have read this thread: 97

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.