mtbr member
    Nov 2008

any vintage fat bikes out there?

when did fat bikes start? This Clark Kent was made in 1993ish, and features rims welded together side by side, with 2 tires per wheel. Was 1 of 2 made for a trip across Iceland. Anyone else have anything similar? thanks, merry xmas!

Current projects: 1990 Koga-Miyata RidgeRunner Alloy, GT LTS, GT Zaskar, Ellison HT, Slingshot, Funk, and ???

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This might answer some of your questions: Fat Bike history
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I had a ca. 1999 Wildfire that I sold to a member here a year or so ago. I bought it from Pete Basinger, who rode it in a lot of the early Alaska races (and won some of them).

Wildfires were the first production fat bike. Mine had Remolino rims and an 83mm bottom bracket. It was designed around the 3.0" Nokian tires (which are not made anymore) and would not fit Endos or Larrys on wide rims.

Both of these photos show the bike with a Vicious Cycles fork- the original fork was a Marzocchi Bomber pinch-bolt crown with straight tube legs. It was pretty flexy.

The guy I sold it to did a nice restoration on the bike, and posted photos here, but I don't know what to search for to find the thread.
    Last edited by francois; 01-28-2013 at 03:35 PM.

mtbr member

Vintage

Found it Andy, you must have done what I did first, search on "This Thread" instead of "This Forum" I just put in "Wildfire" got 35 choices and found the "Vintage Fat" thread:

Vintage Fat

mtbr member
    I see one is for sale in NH:
    Fat Tire Bike Snow /sand This Bike Won Alaska Iditarod
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails any vintage fat bikes out there?-wldfire.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Balogh View Post
    Found it Andy, you must have done what I did first, search on "This Thread" instead of "This Forum" I just put in "Wildfire" got 35 choices and found the "Vintage Fat" thread:

Vintage Fat
    Yep, that's the one.