Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dudette

Any short(er) people on a Moonlander?

I'm curious to see if a Moonlander would work for me; unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to demo one locally. Our shop can get one in, but they don't keep any in stock. I have checked out the geometry on the Surly website, but it's unclear where on the top standover is determined? FWIW, I'm 5' 4" with a 29 1/2" inseam. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    I am 5'7" with a 29" inseam, I have a Moonlander and fit fine, size small or 16.

Dudette
    How much clearance do you have with the top tube? I want to be sure there is enough room if I have to dismount quickly, especially in the snow.

mtbr member
    Not a ton of room maybe 1/2 inch?

Dudette
    Hmm, so that would probably give me about an inch.

SS Rider
    I believe I have seen a yellow pug in a 14. That should give you plenty of clearance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I once had a road bike that was too large for me...zero clearance!

Learned to always be prepared to fall to one side of the top bar.

Worked...most of the time!

Dudette
    I hadn't realized the Pugsley was available this year in a 14" frame. I haven't been able to find any geometry information on that, however, on the Surly site.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    16" Moonlanders are one of the few Surly fatbikes that are still available and in stock. I'm considering one myself at 5'7"

Dr. Beat
    Jan 2006
    I'm a 907 frame (fatbikes.com) FAT riding girl at 5'1'' extra small frame...check 'em out, they certainly had the smallest I could find and got plenty of standover (geometry details on website).

mtbr member
    I have a med moonlander and I normally like lg frames. Good thing I did because with bud and Lou on there my 30" inseam doesn't leave me much room.

Small for you.

mighty sailin' man
    welcome back petey! You didn't miss much last year but we got snow-a-plenty for you this year.
    don't miss this one...

good news is you have more options now lucky bugger
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    If you want Moonie size tyres and are a bit shorter then I suspect you're looking at a 170mm or even a 182mm 9zero7.

mtbr member
    My 12 year old daughter is 5'2" with a 28" inseam and my wifes small Moonlander is a great fit.
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    A small moonie would fit. i rode a med. moon and it allllmoooost fit.
    Size for top tube lenght, not stand over.
    I am 5' 3, 28 in inseam, my wife is 5' nothing. We both rode 16 inch pugs for a couple of years.
    Now she has a xs 907 and i have a sm 907.
    My SS Pugs will be one of our leftover pugs frames. All 16 in.

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    welcome back petey! You didn't miss much last year but we got snow-a-plenty for you this year.
    don't miss this one...

good news is you have more options now lucky bugger
    Don't I know it! I was in the market for a new FS bike and tried (and loved) the Trance X 29er. It fit like a glove and the LBS found me a tremendous deal I just could not pass up. Of course this hasn't left me with any extra to play with, but figured I'd worry about a fat bike next year, after all, last winter was such a bust. Wouldn't you know it, winter has made its appearance and may actually stick around for a while. To top it off, one of the guys I ride with got a Moonlander this year. I've had my eye on the Mukluk, but dang, can't seem to find those in stock anywhere. You're right, mini, there are too many options! What's a girl to do?

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    A small moonie would fit. i rode a med. moon and it allllmoooost fit.
    Size for top tube lenght, not stand over.
    I am 5' 3, 28 in inseam, my wife is 5' nothing. We both rode 16 inch pugs for a couple of years.
    Now she has a xs 907 and i have a sm 907.
    My SS Pugs will be one of our leftover pugs frames. All 16 in.

Good to know, thanks! I had already checked the ETT, which is pretty much in my "sweet spot" and only .2" longer than FS 29er. But the standover on the small is listed as 30.4". I'm surprised at all those with a smaller inseam than myself who claim it fits so well and they have room. How exactly is standover being measured on these bikes?

mtbr member
    I dunno how the measure, but I have a small 16" pugs Necro with endo front & rear(so not super tall tires like some of the rounded models). I have a 28" inseam and when I dismount my pugs to flat feet with Converse All Stars(flat treads, not much sole), I feel the bar. I tried a Moonie at my LBS and it would have been too tall. Add in the bike floating ontop of snow and I dismount and my feet sink into the snow, forget it.
    Not that I didn't want it to work, I mean I still bought the pugs. In snow, I have to dismount sideways so I don't off myself. Not a huge deal, but reality.
    I am 5'3" female, 115lbs, 28" inseam.

OP, you CAN make it work if you really want to. Lots of people ride bikes just a bit outside their range. They are fun, I wouldnt(and didn't) let that stop me.

I should have bought a 907 but I have a thing for Surly chromo.

mtbr member
    Nakedbabytoes,

I always have to dismount sideways and pray I don't fall over since my bike is a size too big. I have no standover clearance anyway so if something happens like deep snow I'm in for it. If I had known about the 907s I would have tried one out.

We got more snow and my Muk is at the shop waiting for chainrings. It's killing me. Hopefully tomorrow.

It's great that these companies are listening and bringing out smaller bikes. It sounds crazy, but they almost need to make some smaller profile tires for lighter riders to gain better floatation.

mtbr member
    Hopefully, you can get out soon Bethany!
    Trying to fit in a fat bike ride with my marathon training this winter has been a chore! I ran 195.25 miles in December and each month until my May 5th marathon will have about 50 more miles per month than the previous.
    Not enough hours in the day! I'm getting out there this coming Sunday though(heck maybe even later today). Depends on what the guys have planned, although currently they are doing a great job of holding down our couches! I doubt if they'll even notice I'm gone!

Dudette
    Hmm, after taking all of these experiences/recommendations in, I think I'm going to forget about the Moonlander. The only reason I was considering it is because I can't see to find the XS Mukluk 2 in stock anywhere. For those of you who are lucky enough to own one (Bethany) - when did you order yours?

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    907' s are also available. I got my wife's in about a week after ordering. Even got a hand written that you on the invoice!

mtbr member
    Petey15,

Mine's a 2011 and picked up almost a year ago. Only one they had was a 19 and it seemed to fit. A size too big, but over the summer I've found ways to "make it fit" some. Local store in Lincoln started carrying the 907 frames a couple of months ago. He didn't have one built so I don't know how it rides but given the geometry it seemed like a great option.

The fat bikes sell out really fast so it can be hard to get one in the size you need or the bike you want.

Dr. Beat
    Jan 2006
    5"1' of FAT fun
    Pretty new, still tweeking the stem/handlebar combo and broke down to splurge on Carver carbon fork (waiting for backorder),

Dudette
    @ adimiro - looks great! My only concern with the 9Zero& was with the ETT - it seemed a bit long for the small, whereas the Mukluk would be "spot on" for me at 22.4". What size stem do you have on yours?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast