mtbr member

Any photos on the net of Ray Molina's early fatbikes?

Can't even find pics of the Tornel tires and the rim anymore either. I've personally seen those rims and tires before, but was curious about the actual frames he had. Never saw the frames.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've got (or had) an old brochure somewhere that a bike shop friend got me at interbike. I was riding snow cats at the time and he said "here's what you need... a Sand Bike". I wish like heck that I'd have bought one. I'f I remember correct, they weren't available very long. If I can find it, is it legal to scan and post his pic's?

mtbr member
    Not sure, may depend on any copyright notation on the brochure. If you find it and do not want it, PM me and I'll make you an offer for it if it's still in good condition.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Couldn't find it w/ a quick search. I had it out several years ago when I was talking to the builder that built my first fat bike. May have left it with him in a bundle of info.

I did run across early "Kelly-Fisher" mt. bike brochures and vintage Ritchey info too... forgot about that stuff.

Laramie, Wyoming

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ray plink

Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Ray's bike we rode on the beach was welded by Ray himself as we're his other frames and were built around his own line of 3.5" tires, which were the only fatties available at the time. His tires had a flat casing that didn't have a lot of volume so his frames would not fit the big volume Surly tires. As we say in the story Ray's bike was good but the Pugs was great due to the tires. If you find one of his older frames remember it won't fit all the fat tires on the market these days and his tires are prolly long gone. And tell Ray hello from Pat and Kathy when you like him on Facebook

mtbr member
    Thanks! I did not see that blog. I have seen Pat Irwin's name before, maybe I did read that back when it was written. Before MTBR, I read a lot of Alaska Spokes forum. Sadly my 2007 Wildfire cannot fit some of the latest tires either. The Knards I was using stretched to the point of rubbing the frame. Using Vee Rubber V-8's now.

Pat, did "Little Ray" have an offset rear? If I remember right, the rims were around 80MM wide, correct?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Remolino rims were about 82mm. They were very heavy, and very strong. My old Wildfire (ca. 2000) wouldn't fit anything bigger than a Gazzaloddi, at least on the Remolino rims.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Balogh View Post
    Thanks! I did not see that blog. I have seen Pat Irwin's name before, maybe I did read that back when it was written. Before MTBR, I read a lot of Alaska Spokes forum. Sadly my 2007 Wildfire cannot fit some of the latest tires either. The Knards I was using stretched to the point of rubbing the frame. Using Vee Rubber V-8's now.

Pat, did "Little Ray" have an offset rear? If I remember right, the rims were around 80MM wide, correct?
    Nope, not offset. I think he may have used 140 or 145 tandem hubs, and I know he abbreviated his cassettes to allow chain/tire clearance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I don't know about Ray's bikes, but I believe some early fat bikes offset the BB a little for clearance. I did that w/ my Klien (pressed in BB/spindle) to clear the sno-cat set-up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    I don't know about Ray's bikes, but I believe some early fat bikes offset the BB a little for clearance. I did that w/ my Klien (pressed in BB/spindle) to clear the sno-cat set-up.
    Classic "Sneaux Bikes", mine setup OK back then with a 1X9 setup:

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    Wildfire used (at times) a 127.5 Shimano cartridge BB in an 83mm shell, which offset the spindle to the drive side a bit. Non-drive crank clearance was minimal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'll scan in and post some pictures. I rode some of his prototypes in the late 90's before he started producing rims, tires and frames. His original rims were fabricated by splitting standard rims in two and welding a strip of aluminum in the middle. His tires by cutting them in two, sewing car seat belts along the middle and then applying a coat of rubber-like material to the fabric. His forks were cut and re-welded. His frames were widened and beat into shape using car jack/hammer combination. All of this happened in his workshop. Creative guy. He re-soled a pair of mountainbike shoes I had using an old mtb tire.