Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Any Origin-8 Crawler Updates?

Now, that Crawlers have arrived in LBS's . . . anybody got one, and want to post a review? Everything else is dated reports about pre-production models.

Thanx, Dave.

Harmonius Wrench
    Any Origin-8 Crawler Updates?-p1060217.jpgAny Origin-8 Crawler Updates?-p1060221.jpgAny Origin-8 Crawler Updates?-p1060220.jpgWe got one in at the shop where I work. It is a 20" because all other sizes were not available. My understanding is that later in the summer the smaller sizes will hit the warehouses. Build went fine. It is heavy, but I expected that with the Nuvinci hub, undrilled rims, and Devastater tires on it. Somebody could save a significant amount of weight with a swap of tires and if you wanted- a new wheel build.

Things I noted: It comes with a derailleur hangar drop out. The frame is very slightly offset to the drive side. Looks like it has a good amount of tire clearance. BFL's on 80's should fit okay.

We had to swap out the chain after a test rider snapped the stock one. So, that maybe an issue to look out for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The sales rep dropped a 17" Crawler at the LBS a few weeks ago. I am 6' so the bike is small for me but that has not prevented several off road adventures. Here are my observations...

Hits - The Alu frame and steel fork handle the rough stuff well and are easy to steer especially when going downhill.Single walled, 80 rims offer plenty of float and could be modified for weight savings. Avid brakes come with bigger discs and work very well. Tires are heavy but did well during a long ride along the flood plain with plentiful rock gardens. Maybe a function of a small frame but the frame and fork handled well and my buddy managed to get air borne several times.

Misses - The gearing could be much lower and the grip shifter takes alot of twist to go through the full range. VT is all hills and I found myself wishing for a few more gears as my buddy went up the trail on his Shimano 8. The frame and fork do have slight offset but I wonder if it is more quality control than design as the seat stay bridge was not level. The front hub is a modified front hub and I would replace it for a stronger rear hub setup.

Interesting - I have ridden other Origin 8 frames and they are good everyday riders for those who do not want to spend alot of money. The Crawler would be a great tinker project as it comes with a rear der hanger. The matching 135 spaces meet my requirement for long adventures and ability to swap wheels. There are plenty of $1,500 starter snow bikes but if Origin 8 was to offer the frame and fork, I think many more folks would join the fat tire experience.

mtbr member

Any Origin-8 Crawler Updates?

Love the color. I would hope that the offset isn't a quality control issue. It's a sharp looking bike, for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    LBS from whom I purchased my Salsa Mukluk II+ custom build has an Origin 8. I rode it very briefly 'round the parking lot. By comparison, the Origin felt tank-like and I quickly lost interest in it.

From my brief Fat Bike ownership experience, I surmise it might be best to forgo this genre till funds allow purchase of something at least equal to the Mukluk.

Only one person's opinion. As usual, YMMV. I suppose, the more casual is one's Fat Bike use, the less one could spend on their bike.
    jimbo

www.jamesromeyn.com fine guitars/audio
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    250 lb. weight limit, on a 42 lb. bike?

I thought weight limits were for fragile 20 lb. bikes.

If you're too fat for a 42 lb. fat bike, what do you ride?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Origin specifies 250# maximum rider weight? I agree, that seems low for this type of bike.
    jimbo

www.jamesromeyn.com fine guitars/audio
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Is that a 250# limit, just on the seat post?

I'm 225# before I get dressed to go outside to ride in the snow. So, I'll be pushing the limit, with a daypack on my back.

But, if I put racks on the front and rear of a Crawler, will that spread out the load enough, that I can exceed the 250# limit?

Thanx, Dave.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    If you're too fat for a 42 lb. fat bike, what do you ride?
    A rascal scooter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Or is the 250# weight limit a function of being overly judicious in protecting the rims?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I recently went to my LBS to purchase a Surly Moonlander and when I arrived the sales person showed me the Origin 8 Crawler, which I compared to the Surly with some test rides. The Surly was very nice but I ended up buying the Crawler because of the feel and ride quality of the bike. What also sold me was the aluminum frame and Nuvinci hub because it was a blast to ride around on different types of terrain with an infinite number of gearing ratios to choose from. There is also a derailleur hanger if I choose to replace the Nuvinci with a cassette but I doubt that will happen unless I have some mechanical problems (none so far, though). Yes, the Nuvinci hub adds some weight and Surlys are great bikes but the Crawler felt quicker and was so much fun to ride.

mtbr noob
    I just took a test ride on the crawler they have at Oak Cliff bikes with the NuVinci planetary hub.
    Very cool drivetrain. Seamless. Good range but could be a bit wider.
    I could see putting a smaller chainring upfront.
    I noticed the rear frame stays looked slightly biased to the drive side by about 5-10mm max.
    Very stiff frame, too stiff I think.
    Not too heavy, 37# for a fatty with quasi-IGH ?
    Crappy brakes.
    Cheap looking dropouts.
    Super cheap looking 80mm rims that had a hugely noticable seam...
    OK tires.

Best part of the whole bike was the rear hub, for sure.
    roxo56
    Surly Troll
    SC Butcher

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by roxo56 View Post
    I just took a test ride on the crawler they have at Oak Cliff bikes with the NuVinci planetary hub.
    Very cool drivetrain. Seamless. Good range but could be a bit wider.
    I could see putting a smaller chainring upfront.
    I noticed the rear frame stays looked slightly biased to the drive side by about 5-10mm max.
    Very stiff frame, too stiff I think.
    Not too heavy, 37# for a fatty with quasi-IGH ?
    Crappy brakes.
    Cheap looking dropouts.
    Super cheap looking 80mm rims that had a hugely noticable seam...
    OK tires.

Best part of the whole bike was the rear hub, for sure.

I agree with everything you said. I just want to point out though about the brakes. Avid BB7's are equiped on a lot of other fat bikes as well. They get the job done for me and I have taken it down some very steep, root covered, single track; to 34 mph downhill paved road, braking hard to turn onto another road. Hydraulic brakes are still on my want list though.

The rims, yup I noticed the very noticable seem you mentioned. They seem to hold up pretty good though. As I mentioned above, I been on single track covered in tree roots, with some high speed impacts, rocks included, they are holding up just fine.

The Nuvinci, as you said, could use a wider range. I'm still very satisfied with it though. I just can't go as fast on pavement, and I might have to walk it up a few more hills on the trail than others. A fairly simple fix, changing the ring gear to the riders needs. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

So, for me the price $1500, offers a lot for the money. Which to me offers more than the more expensive bikes (my wants and needs are different than others). It was the cheapest fat bike on the market until Bikes Direct showed their offerings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Love my Crawler. Picked it up on a great deal too, $900, I think most are $1500?

As far as changing gearing on it, would it be better/more practical to change the front cog or the rear? And in terms of gearing does it make a difference on way or the other in the gear ratio is the same number? I get for lower gearing its either smaller front or larger rear but does it matter which I change if either way gets me to my wanted gear ratio?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Any new crawlers out there?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I commuted to work today and let one of my co-workers (who also commutes by bike) ride the Crawler. He is into it. Loves everything about it, including the Nuvinci hub. :-D

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    J&B dropped off a demo at the shop I work at & I'm riding it wor the week while I'm waiting for my 9:Zero:7 frame to arrive. my initial thoughts are mostly positive; in many ways, it seems like a better equipped bike than my late Pugsley. I'll post a review after I've had a chance to ride it off road. So far, I've only ridden it home 4 miles from the Philly Bike expo, and another 5 mile road ride into work.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Has anyone replaced the devist8er tires on their crawler yet? I'm just wondering if the switch to lighter tires would be a significant difference or if these tires are about the standard weight for fat tires

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    anymore new updates on these? i am wanting to get a fatbike and still trying to decide which one. friend of mine is a jb dealer and can get me one of these for $900. Would it even be worth it though?

i live in IN so not that many big hills where i ride. i run a 1x10 with 32 front and 11-34 in back on my superfly and don't have any issues.

just concerned about weight and the igh not having enough low gear based on reviews i've found. $900 would still be a lot of money if i end up hating the bike.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Here's my initial impressions on the Crawler: First Impressions: Origin-8 Crawler Fatbike | Maverick Moto Media
    I should have my full review done this week. I'd say that based on how your bike is currently set up and where you live, you'd be a perfect fit for the Crawler. I'd estimate that the range is similar to a 34f and 11-34 rear. With a 30t chain ring and a 21 freewheel cog, it would be even lower; the Crawler would also be an excellent candidate for a single speed conversion, if you were so inclined. While the Crawler in stock form, wasn't quite up to the climbing on the trails I ride, (my favorite loop is 18 miles and 3500 feet of climbing) I really did like the Nuvinci and i'd buy one if I lived in the midwest. The smoothness of the nuvinci cannot be understated- I missed it when I switched back to my 9:Zero:7 with an XT 2x10 system. Shifting is utterly seamless and it seems indestructible. I think you'll like it.

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Here's my initial impressions on the Crawler: First Impressions: Origin-8 Crawler Fatbike | Maverick Moto Media
    I should have my full review done this week. I'd say that based on how your bike is currently set up and where you live, you'd be a perfect fit for the Crawler. I'd estimate that the range is similar to a 34f and 11-34 rear. With a 30t chain ring and a 21 freewheel cog, it would be even lower; the Crawler would also be an excellent candidate for a single speed conversion, if you were so inclined. While the Crawler in stock form, wasn't quite up to the climbing on the trails I ride, (my favorite loop is 18 miles and 3500 feet of climbing) I really did like the Nuvinci and i'd buy one if I lived in the midwest. The smoothness of the nuvinci cannot be understated- I missed it when I switched back to my 9:Zero:7 with an XT 2x10 system. Shifting is utterly seamless and it seems indestructible. I think you'll like it.
    thanks for the reply. how tall are you and what size did you get? They only have large size available and i'm 6'4" i have had 2 large size bikes in the past and not had any issues though. the dealer i got them from did say i was on the tall side. I wanted large since i ride a lot of tight tech stuff and figured it would be more manuverable.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    thanks for the reply. how tall are you and what size did you get? They only have large size available and i'm 6'4" i have had 2 large size bikes in the past and not had any issues though. the dealer i got them from did say i was on the tall side. I wanted large since i ride a lot of tight tech stuff and figured it would be more manuverable.
    I'm 6'8" and j&b and my local bike shop gave me a 17" medium frame to test, because it's what they happened to have on hand. Surprisingly, it was quite roomy, excepting that the seat was at least 2 inches too short. I'd say that a large might fit you well. The have a long effective top tube, which makes them rin a bit big. If you have enough seat post, a large will fit. They're an incredible deal at $900, much more so than the other bikes at that range.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

We the people ...

Hi all. Others have mentioned the gearing isn't low enough on the Crawler. I have one in the Rockies, and unless something is wrong with my Nuvinci, it's great for the flatland, but no hills.

Two questions about this:
    1. The Crawler has a spec of 32T chainring (104bcd), and the Nuvinci n360 comes w/an 18T cog. Nuvinci's manual itself does not "approve" of this gearing (see top of page 4 of manual on Fallbrook/Nuvinci's website)
    http://www.fallbrooktech.com/sites/d...360_RMF_EN.pdf
    Name:  nuvinci.GIF
Views: 688
Size:  38.7 KB

Am I reading this correctly that Origin-8 spec'd a bike that voids the Nuvinci n360 warranty right out of the box?

2. There was some talk in this thread about going down to 30T ring (the smallest that would fit on the 104bcd spider) or larger cog. According to the chart I linked to, this would take it even further out of Nuvinci's "approved" gear ratio, thus putting more stress on the hub and help it to fail sooner, no?

What have others done to lower the gear ratio on the Crawler? Unless there's something "wrong" with my Nuvinci, it's pretty much un-rideable anywhere with anything more than a little hill. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Since I started this thread, I thought that I might as well resurrect it.

I bought a Crawler and have been riding it off & on for about a year. I had to take a long break after a skiing injury, but, now I'm back riding. Overall, I like my Crawler, especially the NuVinci hub, but, there are some things that I'd like to upgrade.

First, the tires/wheels. Mine are out of round. Not sure if it's the rims, or the rubber, or both, and it doesn't matter much on bumpy trails. But, on smooth paths, at anything over 20mph, the bike really wobbles vertically. I can even see the wheels/tires wobble while standing still, if I raise them off the ground and give them a hand spin. Is this something that can be "trued-out" or do I need to just replace them? I've thought about "learning" how to drill holes in these cheap lop-sided rims, to shave some weight. But, don't want to waste my free time either, if they're hopelessly un-round?

Next, I'd like to get wider, but lighter tires, than the factory 4.0 Devistators. Would Vee 4.7 Snowshoes on 80mm rims fit on my Crawler? Or are all Vee Rubber products as likely to be as lop-sided as these Devistators? How about 4.8 Knards? Would they fit? Others?

Lastly, like many others have observed, I'd like to lower the gearing. The range of the NuVinci is enough for me, but, I'd like it to be lower. I rarely pedal at the highest setting, but, sometimes have to get off and push at the lowest setting. Should I make the front sproket smaller, or the rear sproket larger?

Thanx, Dave.

mtbr member
    I had the same issues on my Crawler with the out of roundness. Its probably not the wheels. I had a bear of a time getting the devist8ers bead to seat evenly on the rim, and lightweight 2.7 Q-tubes that don't inflate uniformly in a 4" tire only exacerbated the problem. Normal tubes (which are god awful heavy) or ghetto tubeless along with some soapy water on the tire bead will help with getting the tire seated evenly. I ran into the exact same problem with Qtubes and Snowshoes on the drilled version of the crawler's rims (weinman HL-80's). I drilled out the crawler rims, and went with a lighter rim strip and lighter tubes and it made a huge difference - it's worth doing if you're committed to keeping the Crawler. Never cared for the Devist8er tire though.

Gearing - mine was geared down, putting it well outside of specs for gear ratios as stipulated by NuVinci. Still didn't get as low as I wanted. Do a search on the inter geared hub page and you'll find some more detailed info on NuVinci gearing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast