Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6

    Any info about the Snap-On fat bike?

    So I've been looking around at fat bikes for a while, but didn't want to spend too much, had been leaning towards a Framed Minnesota or Gravity Bullseye Monster originally, but ran across a Snap-On fat bike that was a prize for a contest held earlier this year or last, and ordered it for $600 shipped. The hardware seemed okay for the cost, weight was listed at ~43 on the box from other for sale posts I found... not too light, but probably mid to upper 30s for weight when it's all said and done, and it has front suspension with lockout. So I bit the bullet and ordered (just waiting for it to show up impatiently now).

    Does anyone have any information on the actual OEM for this model, or a full spec listing on it? I reached out to Snap-On and they did not have any useful information to provide. Most of it I can see from the pictures for drivetrain, brakes and such, but I'm curious who the actual manufacturer is.
    Here's two listings for the bike for anyone curious. Seems listings are all over the place for cost, from 500 as the low end up to $2000(which seems way overblown)
    Snap On Fat Tire Bicycle
    https://maine.craigslist.org/bik/6156453758.html

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    41
    No clue
    but just wanted to point out after seeing the pictures:

    that's a Very Unique Frame
    the seattube splits into two at the bottom bracket
    seemingly to allow mounting of a normal derailer on the driveside tube split

    that feature ought to be a major clue as to who makes it, but I've never seen such a thing done before.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by xenologer View Post
    No clue
    but just wanted to point out after seeing the pictures:

    that's a Very Unique Frame
    the seattube splits into two at the bottom bracket
    seemingly to allow mounting of a normal derailer on the driveside tube split

    that feature ought to be a major clue as to who makes it, but I've never seen such a thing done before.
    That's interesting! I noticed the split because that did look really odd, but i just figured it was done for some kind of cost saving versus anything useful. I didn't see any other frames like it either though from my searching. Thanks for the info

  4. #4
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,796
    I hope you got it cheap. I'm sure the Shimano components are fine. I'll bet the hubs are not. Wheels will probably be near impossible to set up tubeless.
    Triple on a fat bike? Great...
    I was a professional mechanic for many years and I've spent plenty of time on Snap On trucks. They put their name on everything that's hot at the moment. I remember 25 or so years ago they had a mountain bike. Don't remember much about it but I had bought some tools that put me in a drawing for the bike. I told my friend if I won, he could have it since it was a Medium only and I'm 6'5".
    I bet if I was 23 now and saw that bike, I'd buy it. I used to be all caught up in the Snap On hype.
    I like turtles

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I hope you got it cheap. I'm sure the Shimano components are fine. I'll bet the hubs are not. Wheels will probably be near impossible to set up tubeless.
    Triple on a fat bike? Great...
    I was a professional mechanic for many years and I've spent plenty of time on Snap On trucks. They put their name on everything that's hot at the moment. I remember 25 or so years ago they had a mountain bike. Don't remember much about it but I had bought some tools that put me in a drawing for the bike. I told my friend if I won, he could have it since it was a Medium only and I'm 6'5".
    I bet if I was 23 now and saw that bike, I'd buy it. I used to be all caught up in the Snap On hype.
    What will be the difficulty with tubeless? That's something I'm interested in doing but haven't looking into yet.
    And the triple will be ok depending on the gearing, I'm considering looking into getting a set of narrower wheels and getting rid of my older Tarpon since i don't have a ton of room for multiple bikes so it would be useful for that at least.

  6. #6
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,262
    Craiglist ad is full of crap. High performance hubs? Selling for $1900 online? Psh

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Craiglist ad is full of crap. High performance hubs? Selling for $1900 online? Psh
    Absolutely, no question on that. That was one of the better posts for pictures since I haven't received mine yet. Not a lot of sale posts that had good variety of photos on it.

  8. #8
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,796
    Quote Originally Posted by wafflenator View Post
    What will be the difficulty with tubeless? That's something I'm interested in doing but haven't looking into yet.
    And the triple will be ok depending on the gearing, I'm considering looking into getting a set of narrower wheels and getting rid of my older Tarpon since i don't have a ton of room for multiple bikes so it would be useful for that at least.
    I believe those are the same rims that one of my friends had on a Bikes Direct bike. They're very flat on the inside, with no real bead shelf. That makes for very difficult tubeless setup.
    I like turtles

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I believe those are the same rims that one of my friends had on a Bikes Direct bike. They're very flat on the inside, with no real bead shelf. That makes for very difficult tubeless setup.
    Gotcha, thanks for the info

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: surlybugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    194
    I prepped 2 for a buddy of mine who won them, and the bikes are not bad. good entry level fat.

    When I say Prepped, i cleaned and propperly greased all bearings, as well as assemble them right.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by surlybugger View Post
    I prepped 2 for a buddy of mine who won them, and the bikes are not bad. good entry level fat.

    When I say Prepped, i cleaned and propperly greased all bearings, as well as assemble them right.
    That's good to hear, entry level is all I was after at this point, thanks!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steve Balogh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    803
    I learned the hard way that triples up front are bad on modern fat bikes (I started on a Wildfire in 2007, tires were not as wide back then). Front derailleurs become magnets for foliage with triples. They stick out more than normal bikes and easily snag whatever you brush against. Of all things, several years ago I snagged a small tree on a beach and destroyed the front shifter - yes - the shifter. So much force generated from the snagging it popped the shifter open, destroyed all the internals. 1X whatever is the way to go in my biased opinion

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    3

    Snap On fat tire bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by wafflenator View Post
    So I've been looking around at fat bikes for a while, but didn't want to spend too much, had been leaning towards a Framed Minnesota or Gravity Bullseye Monster originally, but ran across a Snap-On fat bike that was a prize for a contest held earlier this year or last, and ordered it for $600 shipped. The hardware seemed okay for the cost, weight was listed at ~43 on the box from other for sale posts I found... not too light, but probably mid to upper 30s for weight when it's all said and done, and it has front suspension with lockout. So I bit the bullet and ordered (just waiting for it to show up impatiently now).

    Does anyone have any information on the actual OEM for this model, or a full spec listing on it? I reached out to Snap-On and they did not have any useful information to provide. Most of it I can see from the pictures for drivetrain, brakes and such, but I'm curious who the actual manufacturer is.
    Here's two listings for the bike for anyone curious. Seems listings are all over the place for cost, from 500 as the low end up to $2000(which seems way overblown)
    Snap On Fat Tire Bicycle
    https://maine.craigslist.org/bik/6156453758.html
    The Snap On fat tire bike is built by Trek. I am getting one next week. I spoke to my Snap On dealer on Tues. I am very excited. He is going to be bringing me mine next week. I have been wanting a fat tire mountain bike for over a year now. I just couldn't bring my self to spend the ridiculous amount of money for one of these. I got a huge sticker shock when I went to my local bike shop to check them out.

    I just hope I like it better than my Mongoose Mountain bike. Not that my Mongoose is a bad bike because it's not. It has served me well. It was an impulse buy when I bought it. I just have never been happy with the fit of the bike. Its a little too big for me. This is smaller and should work well for me. I can't wait

  14. #14
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Gellisjr View Post
    The Snap On fat tire bike is built by Trek. I am getting one next week. I spoke to my Snap On dealer on Tues. I am very excited. He is going to be bringing me mine next week. I have been wanting a fat tire mountain bike for over a year now. I just couldn't bring my self to spend the ridiculous amount of money for one of these. I got a huge sticker shock when I went to my local bike shop to check them out.

    I just hope I like it better than my Mongoose Mountain bike. Not that my Mongoose is a bad bike because it's not. It has served me well. It was an impulse buy when I bought it. I just have never been happy with the fit of the bike. Its a little too big for me. This is smaller and should work well for me. I can't wait
    I hate to burst your bubble but it probably isn't much better than the Mongoose. For what you have into these two bikes, you're well on your way to having something nice.
    OR ride the Snap On bike for a while and when you have some more money, sell both of em and get yourself a Surly Wednesday or a Pugsly. You wouldn't believe how much better a ride you'll have with quality rims and tires set up tubeless.
    I like turtles

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    715
    Trek made a limited edition Snap-On 70th anniversary mountain bike. I am not sure about the current fat bike. I would be surprised if they made a 3x bike

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    3
    No bubble burst here. The mongoose mountain bike was purchased well over twenty years ago. So like I've said it has severed me well. I am not one who sells off my bikes. I still have my 86 GT pro performer freestyle bike. I restored it a few years ago. I also have a Dyno Detour as well as well that is waiting to be restored.

  17. #17
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Gellisjr View Post
    No bubble burst here. The mongoose mountain bike was purchased well over twenty years ago. So like I've said it has severed me well. I am not one who sells off my bikes. I still have my 86 GT pro performer freestyle bike. I restored it a few years ago. I also have a Dyno Detour as well as well that is waiting to be restored.
    Oh... I thought you had the Mongoose fat bike. If you have a twenty year old Mongoose mountain bike, it's probably pretty good. My brother had a Rockadile that was a killer bike back in the day.
    I like turtles

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by Gellisjr View Post
    The Snap On fat tire bike is built by Trek. I am getting one next week. I spoke to my Snap On dealer on Tues. I am very excited. He is going to be bringing me mine next week. I have been wanting a fat tire mountain bike for over a year now. I just couldn't bring my self to spend the ridiculous amount of money for one of these. I got a huge sticker shock when I went to my local bike shop to check them out.
    I seriously doubt this bike is anything to do with Trek as Trek don't build their own aluminium frames, this is clearly not a Trek design nor is it using Bontrager parts. It's possibly built in the same factory as Trek bikes are but that's meaningless as many other bikes will be as well.

    John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    26
    Gatekeeping hard there on the Trek thing. I do the same thing when people say that a Volkswagen Touareg is the same as my Porsche Cayenne!

Similar Threads

  1. Nukeproof Snap
    By Petrolbomb1018 in forum Urban/DJ/Park
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-10-2015, 01:04 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-18-2014, 06:21 AM
  3. Alfine snap ring?
    By huntting in forum Internal Gear Hubs
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-23-2011, 09:51 AM
  4. Oh Snap!
    By umarth in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 08:21 PM
  5. snap wobble wobble
    By jeffn5 in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2011, 08:52 PM

Members who have read this thread: 93

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.