mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Any fatbikers in No Cal....

I'm up in the Sacramento/Auburn/Nevada City area and looking for some fellow fatbikers to ride with. Willing to drive bit to try some new trails etc..

Posted this in the No Cal forums also..

mtbr member
    I ride almost everyday out at Granite Bay (Basically, my backyard).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Folsom here. I mostly ride the Pugs in Tripower's back yard but do it faster while being better looking....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantisrider View Post
    Folsom here. I mostly ride the Pugs in Tripower's back yard but do it faster while being better looking....
    I am only slower because my tires are fatter.

PRETENDURO
    Technically I am in Northern California, but down and to your left over here in San Joserville.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

gone walk about
    I'd be your next door neighbor, reno/sparks area so not too far....Sierras received their first snow last night...maybe 2' of fresh white stuff.

Hey Porky thats my old stompin grounds until 1980 then Nv ever since.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm in Half Moon Bay and living a few blocks from the beach has had me lurking here on the fat bikes forum...

Any of you guys know of any bike shops in the Bay Area that keep fat bikes in stock? I realize I'll probably need to order exactly what I want..but I'd sure like to take a fat tire bike for a ride before taking the plunge.

mtbr member
    ...Who you callin' fat!

I just bought a 2013 Mukluk 3 today from Tour of Nevada City Bike Shop

I live in Nevada City.

We should ride, eredinger? Btw, is this Erik who used to work in Folsom with me 5 or so years ago at PS?

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any fatbikers in No Cal....-img_2649.jpg  

Any fatbikers in No Cal....-img_2650.jpg  

Any fatbikers in No Cal....-img_2651.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey Matt nice Muk!

I did work for PS in Folsom about 5 years ago. Send me a message before your next ride and maybe i'll join ya.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Iv'e been calling Truckee home for quite some time...Just took my first Fat ride on the shore of Donner Lake. It was fun mobbing over some of the big rocks with low tire pressure. Looking forward to some snow biking this winter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1313.jpg  

Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1294.jpg  

Cheesiest
    I just relocated to Sacramento about two months ago from Seattle. I sold my Pugs a while back, but have been thinking of getting an aluminum fatbike for bikepacking and general meandering.

I was up at Salmon Falls last weekend on the low water area wishing I had some fat!

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by railntrail View Post
    Iv'e been calling Truckee home for quite some time...Just took my first Fat ride on the shore of Donner Lake. It was fun mobbing over some of the big rocks with low tire pressure. Looking forward to some snow biking this winter
    we only 30min apart...reno. during the summer months some of my roadie friends & i ride old hwy 40 to the end and back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    kool... we should get together for a ride...do you have a Light ? I do like to nite ride. the snow should light up real well. I've got some ideas on where to ride but haven't tried them yet. I think the shoreline at Boca would be pretty good....I have a friend who rides the xc trails inTahoe City

gone walk about
    kool... we should get together for a ride...do you have a Light ? I do like to nite ride. the snow should light up real well. I've got some ideas on where to ride but haven't tried them yet. I think the shoreline at Boca would be pretty good....I have a friend who rides the xc trails inTahoe City
    agreed as i enjoy meeting new folk, riding etc. however no light. I rode the emigrant tr about 3 weeks ago but on my full squishy bike. I started @ tahoe donner campground on 89 out & back was a good ride.

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    Thought I'd pipe in. I too live in Truckee, and my Beargrease is in the mail. I'd like to ride with some locals too. You own TOHD?

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk 2

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    Sick bike by the way!

mtbr member
    We have a BONC (Bicyclist of Nevada County) trail maintenance/ride at Bullards Bar on December 1st which happens to land on International FatBike Day. It would be cool to have a bunch of NorCal/Reno Fatties there. I think Bullards will be a great ride for Fatties. It about 45 minutes north of Nevada City on the way to D-ville.

mtbr member
    Testing the new "fattie" on local Nevada City trail

I've had the Muk3 for 2 days and I already think it will be my only "horse" soon. I'm slower but having more fun than ever on 2 wheels. I can't wipe the grin off my face. I made this video just to play around with the camera and show a guy riding gratuitous "fatness" on a NorCal local trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    emigrant is a favorite of mine, there is a way to do it as a loop that I prefer over the out n back. Days being short as they are lights make for more options. I night ride with a small group but there are only a 2 other fat bikes among us.Looks like my next few weekends will be out of town.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You guys know of any shops in that area that carry fat bikes in stock?

gone walk about
    emigrant is a favorite of mine, there is a way to do it as a loop that I prefer over the out n back. Days being short as they are lights make for more options. I night ride with a small group but there are only a 2 other fat bikes among us.Looks like my next few weekends will be out of town.
    a loop would be sweet and having only been 1 time i didn't explore much but i know once closer to stampede i saw numerous trails.

Cheesiest
    Anyone know of Al fabricators in the Sac area? I'm interested in having my Voodoo Bokor modded to take fatties.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmattcor View Post
    We have a BONC (Bicyclist of Nevada County) trail maintenance/ride at Bullards Bar on December 1st which happens to land on International FatBike Day. It would be cool to have a bunch of NorCal/Reno Fatties there. I think Bullards will be a great ride for Fatties. It about 45 minutes north of Nevada City on the way to D-ville.
    Any more details on the ride on Saturday. Going to try to make it up.

mtbr member
    Hey man,

Looks like it's gonna be a washout, so we've postponed the official club trail maint/ride part. You willing to ride in the rain with me?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Wash out

Bullards is one of my favorite rides...judging by the 8-10 inches of rain they are calling for here in Truckee I'm gonna pass

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Salsa is going to be doing demos at three shops this weekend, Spokesman in Santa Cruz, La Dolce Velo in San Jose, and Endless Cycles in Castro Valley. I don't know which shops on which days but I hear they'll have Mukluks and Beargreases!

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    Rode the Emigrant Trail in Truckee today. Perfect conditions.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any fatbikers in No Cal....-uploadfromtaptalk1355637166720.jpg  

Any fatbikers in No Cal....-uploadfromtaptalk1355637183209.jpg  

gone walk about
    that does look fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No rain in Folsom today, so we enjoyed a christmas eve ride around the lake. There was a few water puddles but nothing too bad.

Hope everyone has a woderful and save holiday.

Anyone planning to ride this week?

Paper or plastic?
    Anybody renting fatbikes in Truckee?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Truckee

No Fat Bike Rentals that I know of at this time. The Backcountry LBS would be the most likely but I have yet to see a Fatty on display in any of our local shops. The movement is just starting to get a foot hold here..

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Smile Cold Stream Canyon

Here is a couple of pics from this past weekend. Conditions were pretty good hard pack with some "punchy" areas. Just starting to discover Fat Bike rides in the hood. This has a combination of snow shoe, ski and machine packed surfaces.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1599.jpg  

Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1607.jpg  

gone walk about
    looks good.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

Paper or plastic?
    Too bad. I wanted to try one this winter. I've been toying with the idea of getting a used one and reuse some of the components I have lying around to leave at the cabin, but I would need to try one first before committing. Coldstream Canyon looks pretty. I often go for a quick ride there in the summer. Good stuff. Can you actually pedal up the initial short steep climb in the snow, or do you have to push it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Amazing as it may seem, I was able to ride to ride that hill to the top without dismounting.
    People have been sledding on it and have packed it down nice and hard. Traction was incredible. I rode up and around the ponds. I believe it is possible to ride to Lost Trail Lodge
    to the southeast and south to the horseshoe bend and beyond. I will venture out to the horse shoe bend next chance I get.

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    I got a nice ride in on the 06 fireroad in Truckee Saturday. I rode 45 minutes in, but had to turn around for light. It seemed like I could have easily kept going (given the number of sled tracks) and connect to the fiberboard freeway. I hear that there are several groomed options from Brockway Summit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That's good to hear about the 06. It would be fun to Sled groom a track along the rim above the river where the Sawtooth trail goes. Nice Bear Grease BTW. I was north of Truckee 2 weekends ago riding some machine groomed from Sagehen towards Jackson meadows.
    Here are a couple shots from Cabin Creek last weekend...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1608.jpg  

Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1611.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Tioga Pass?

Hi I'm new here, I have a pugs singlespeed,and a Moonlander,. I was wondering about riding the snow covered tioga pass. Anyone ever do this? Is it legal? I rode my M/L around the Fish Camp area a few weeks ago on the hard pack and it was great! Anyone interested in trying this? Thanks

mtbr member
    Welcome H8workin

I got my fatty in November so I'm new too. I've been enjoying the riding around Nevada City and up toward Donner. Bowman Lake Road is fun off of Hwy 20 just before 80.

I'd like to come down south to try Tioga.

I also have aspirations of a trans-sierra trip across Tioga pass or any other unplowed passes.
    I've always wanted to try the ski hunts, but I don't know if they are all in wilderness.

Anyway, if you stayed on the road bed on tioga pass, I assume it would be legal.
    Good luck finding the roadbed with 12 feet of snow...lol

I think a snowmobile forum may be a good place to start

Researching....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any fatbikers in No Cal....-snow.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Is that a pic of Bowman Lake rd ? I know the Jackson Meadows Rd at HWY 89 is groomed a long way in, in the summer they do connect. I've skied up the Tioga Pass before, the rd is easy to find going up the canyon. I don't believe they allow Snow mobiles on it. When Tioga Pass Resort was open in the winter they would run up & down with a Snow cat to bring in supplies. I believe TPR is now closed in the winter. Spring time would probably afford the best conditions to travel that spectacular terrain.

mtbr member
    Yep, that's Bowman Lake Rd on New Year's Eve. I started at Rucker/Fuller lake area. I had a few snowmobiles fly by and give me the double take. It was a good gradual road to bike on nonetheless. I went about 5 miles back in there, but I suspect the tracks go all the way to Bowman Lake. Since the elevation is in the 5500 to 6000 ft range, it's ideally located for orographics and maximum snow dump.

Another trans-sierra pass to try up our way would be Henness Pass Rd which drops into Jackson Meadow Reservoir eventually.

This was a main thoroughfare for settlers in the mid 1800's since it was not as severe a pass as Donner.
    I've driven over it with a ft of snow in early November. This was before i knew what a fat bike was. It has great views of Sierra Buttes to the north.

Anyone up for an adventure later this season?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm up for some day rides. Mostly exploring the backyard here around Truckee. I think Gold Lakes road From Bassett's to Upper Sardine Lake would make for a good ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Anybody renting fatbikes in Truckee?
    I just heard that Tahoe Donner XC may have a Demo Day coming up. Some folks from QBP
    were up showing off some Salsa's and Surley"s up there today. Paco's is starting to get Interesed so maybe give them a call. I have a friend who works at TD XC who rode one of the QBP Bikes and wants to groom some Fat Bike single track. It's always good when people who run the equipment get excited...

Paper or plastic?
    I just heard that Tahoe Donner XC may have a Demo Day coming up. Some folks from QBP
    were up showing off some Salsa's and Surley"s up there today. Paco's is starting to get Interesed so maybe give them a call. I have a friend who works at TD XC who rode one of the QBP Bikes and wants to groom some Fat Bike single track. It's always good when people who run the equipment get excited...
    Thanks for the tip. I'll call before I go up in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Sweetness! Now I want to see if Royal Gorge and Auburn Ski Club will let us ride on XC trails as a test. Anyone interested in investigating that with me?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Also a fat biker in Norcal, now living in the Sacramento area. Have been riding it off road but never taken to the snow yet. Any place to ride around highway 50? I ask because highway 50 is closer to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sweetness! Now I want to see if Royal Gorge and Auburn Ski Club will let us ride on XC trails as a test. Anyone interested in investigating that with me?
    Not sure about Auburn Ski Club but the new GM at Royal Gorge used to be at TD and was not so open minded. I rode a Fat Bike test single track they groomed at TD XC last Wed, 3-4 miles long groomed with a roller pulled behind a snowmobile. I also heard they had some demo bikes up there today but have not verified that info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    I ride almost everyday out at Granite Bay (Basically, my backyard).
    Are you the one I saw with a yellow Pugsley coming from the high school parking lot?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Found some good Skier and Snow Shoe packed single track at Pole Creek off HWY 89
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1645.jpg  

gone walk about
    Found some good Skier and Snow Shoe packed single track at Pole Creek off HWY 89
    how far Nth on 89 is this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Pole Creek is south of Truckee,two drainages north of Squaw Valley on the west side of 89.
    Parking can be limited but there is room for about 20 cars. There is a backcountry hut about 5 miles in which was my destination but I started to break through the pack about 3 miles in so I turned around and will try again another day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1650-1.jpg  

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    Just rode the 06 today. Awful - punchy. Need a hard freeze! Don't know if 5" tires would help.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Paper or plastic?
    Apparently, PacoXC bike shop may get some fatbikes in soon for rent.

gone walk about
    Apparently, PacoXC bike shop may get some fatbikes in soon for rent.
    if anyone would it's them.

Paper or plastic?
    Well, they're selling them faster than they come in, so most likely there won't be any rental this year. I'm guessing that we should see some rentals available next year though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've had some good luck riding early in the morning before work. Unforutunately the post holers are ruining the trail heads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Donner Lake Shore line

Early morning lightAny fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1732.jpg

mtbr member
    Anyone thinking about doing Cool Mt. Bike Race this year on the Fatty, I'm thinking about doin' it on the Muk3

Cheesiest
    Anyone thinking about doing Cool Mt. Bike Race this year on the Fatty, I'm thinking about doin' it on the Muk3
    I can't imagine much advantage given the terrain, but it would be cool to see a Muk on the trail.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

Pirate!!!
    I'm building up my first Fatty right now, if I get it together by then I might race it in Clydesdale. Just for fun.

Pirate!!!

Here's what I've got so far. Wheel set should arrive Monday. Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360337730.903961.jpgAny fatbikers in No Cal....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360337748.609710.jpg

mtbr member

Conditions on FH rd.

Got out this morning, got 4" of fresh on a good base so could ride it. Riding LOW pressure, 3psi front and 5psi rear. Should be packed down more by Saturday afternoon.
    Got a new Husker Du tire for the rear too, excellent tire compared to the Endo or Larry IMO.

Any fatbikers in No Cal....-feb8_4in_fresh_reartire.jpg
    Any fatbikers in No Cal....-huskerdu-track-4infresh.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Well, they're selling them faster than they come in, so most likely there won't be any rental this year. I'm guessing that we should see some rentals available next year though.
    Paco's has 2 demo pugs available,small and med. We got some newbies out last Wednesday night and they had a great time - Thanks Paco !

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Bikedrd crossing Cold Creek in lower Cold Stream Canyon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1754.jpg  

Paper or plastic?
    Okay, I confirmed that Paco XC has some Fatbikes for rent. Plan is to pick one up Sat evening, and ride it Sunday morning. Will Coldstream Canyon be rideable?

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004

Re: Any fatbikers in No Cal....

Should be. Almost everything is rideable with the freeze thaw we've been getting. You'll want to finish before it gets slushy.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Okay, I confirmed that Paco XC has some Fatbikes for rent. Plan is to pick one up Sat evening, and ride it Sunday morning. Will Coldstream Canyon be rideable?
    Yes, ride early.The Snow is going fast now that day time temps are hitting the mid fifties

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Kyburz Flat

Rode here last Sunday.About 15 miles north of Truckee. A nice low angle meadow w meandering creek going up a small frozen lake and options beyondAny fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1775.jpgAny fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1774.jpg

gone walk about
    ^^ nice!!

Levi Early
    Im over here on the coast in Fort Bragg. If anyone ever wants to come over and bring their fat bike, we have some great trails. No snow though since we are at sea level. My muk has yet to see snow.

PRETENDURO
    Rode here last Sunday.About 15 miles north of Truckee. A nice low angle meadow w meandering creek going up a small frozen lake and options beyondClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1775.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	776790
    OK, sorry for sounding like an idiot, but what exactly is an “interpretive area”??? Does that mean that it’s use depends on the one who interprets how best to use it?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    "Interpretive" as an area that has a sign talking about cultural and natural history of the area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm Boca Coast Ride

I had a incredibly fun ride on the Boca Coast today. There was a 10-15 foot swath of white ice between the brown gravel and the green ice along the shore line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1875.jpg  

Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1885.jpg  

Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1869.jpg  

mtbr member

You do some awesome rides, railntrail
    Keep 'em coming.
    I took the Muk3 up pioneer trail today and didn't hit snow until around White Cloud.

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi707 View Post
    Im over here on the coast in Fort Bragg. If anyone ever wants to come over and bring their fat bike, we have some great trails. No snow though since we are at sea level. My muk has yet to see snow.
    Sh!t Levi, I'm fairly close to you here in Lake County. We do a little Fat trail riding here in Boggs too.
    I've ridden those "Great Trails" you've got it FB, no kidding, they are amazing!

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevalhalla View Post
    "Interpretive" as an area that has a sign talking about cultural and natural history of the area.
    Ahh… I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Paper or plastic?
    Well, I tried this morning, but the rain made the trail too darn slushy to get any traction. Too bad, it was pretty fun otherwise. I'll have to try again next winter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi707 View Post
    Hey Levi - i like the idea of escaping the mountains once in a while, whats your your riding like in FB ? are there some good beach rides ? or mostly coastal bluffs ? a change might do me good.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaOrbit View Post
    I'm in Half Moon Bay and living a few blocks from the beach has had me lurking here on the fat bikes forum...

Any of you guys know of any bike shops in the Bay Area that keep fat bikes in stock? I realize I'll probably need to order exactly what I want..but I'd sure like to take a fat tire bike for a ride before taking the plunge.
    La Dolce Velo in downtown San Jose has a Salsa Mukluk 3 (15") you can try.

Levi Early
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    Sh!t Levi, I'm fairly close to you here in Lake County. We do a little Fat trail riding here in Boggs too.
    I've ridden those "Great Trails" you've got it FB, no kidding, they are amazing!
    I love riding boggs! how about we get a fatbike day over there sometime soon? pm me or email me at levi.early@gmail.com

Hey Levi - i like the idea of escaping the mountains once in a while, whats your your riding like in FB ? are there some good beach rides ? or mostly coastal bluffs ? a change might do me good.
    the trails we have here are absolutely some of the most amazing trails I have ever ridden. We have everything from pygmy forest hard clay, soft loose black rich dirt under redwood trees, loomy leafy trails. everything here is just amazing. We do have some great beach riding as well. 10 mile beach is exactly as it is named.....miles and miles of beach and dunes.

Also check this link out Home there are a few good rides coming up.

Pirate!!!

A little snow last night here in Lake County
    Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362624882.294701.jpg

Levi Early
    ahhh I need to head over there the next time it snows with the muk to pop it's snow cherry!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice looking bike Captain. I dig the color combo.

gone walk about
    tis diff but complementary in a way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thierict View Post
    La Dolce Velo in downtown San Jose has a Salsa Mukluk 3 (15") you can try.
    LDV has a few and I know that Family Cycling has at least one Surly Moonlander for rent.

Pirate!!!

Thanks bra! It's funny how things come together. Here's a couple more. Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362799934.283324.jpgAny fatbikers in No Cal....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362799977.958032.jpgAny fatbikers in No Cal....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362800004.322797.jpg

Pirate!!!
    By the way, I'll be tooling around Auburn this weekend at the Cool Mountain Bike race. I hope to see some other NorCal Fattys there. I won't be racing unfortunately, I'm there to support my kids for their second year at Cool.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Stampede Resevoir

Last Sunday's ride at Stampede leaves no doubt that the snow is melting fast around Truckee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1939.jpg  

Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1949.jpg  

Any fatbikers in No Cal....-imag1947.jpg  

mtbr member

Ok NorCal fatties, anybody up for planning a Fat Truckee to Nevada City epic with me. We did it last October on the boring regular mtbs. 70 miles, 12 hrs.
    Truckee to Nevada City: The Dirt Epic
    Once HITG clears of most of its snow, I think we also should be able to ride down the snow patches of Signal Peak by early June possibly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So would that ride start from the Eagle Lake exit and go to Spaulding lake and onto the Pioneer trail ? How about trying to ride HITG while there is still some snow on it.

mtbr member

We started from wild cherries in Truckee last time, but so its all dirt, starting from Tahoe donner then taking land trust trail over to HITG, then cutting over at Magonical road which contours to Signal peak, then down to eagle lakes, on to Spaulding, then Hoyt's crossing, then pioneer all the way to NC
    Check out the strava link on the other thread I mentioned. We did 2 water drops, but early season I think pumping would be a good option

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I checked out the strava link...that was a very ambitious route for sure.My hat is off to you & your crew. I'd have to say that goes beyond my threshold of endurance.

mtbr member

Railntrail, I agree it may be ambitious on a fatty, especially since I barely made it on my trance last year. This route lends itself to fatness though.

mtbr member
    I'm up for this ride...it just looks amazing. Start of June perhaps? I rode up to 7200ft last weekend and there were only minor snow patches but this was on the south side of Hwy 80.

Ok NorCal fatties, anybody up for planning a Fat Truckee to Nevada City epic with me. We did it last October on the boring regular mtbs. 70 miles, 12 hrs.
    Truckee to Nevada City: The Dirt Epic
    Once HITG clears of most of its snow, I think we also should be able to ride down the snow patches of Signal Peak by early June possibly.

mtbr member
    I did the lower 40% of the epic from Lang's Crossing on Bowman Lake Road to Nevada City. That part is in great condition, especially since the horse traffic can thrash Pioneer. I looked up at Signal Peak/Red Mountain which we will cross and there are still some 1/4 mile snow patches, but we're fat! so bring it!

Hoping HITG will be a little more snow free by early June.

Who's in beside Meriwether and me?

Members who have read this thread: 0