mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Any fatbike riders notice a difference in ride comfort running BFLs or other

4.8 tires over the 3.8 tires such as Nates on rocky rooty singletrack? Currently my friend and I run the Nates both winter and summer but I have been wondering if the bigger tires might increase ride comfort. AFAIK I can fit a BFL on a RD in the rear triangle of the 907 and a Bud would fit up front. I am looking at other options such as a carbon seatpost but thought that tires might make more of a difference from a bang for the buck point of view.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I can't speak directly to your question, but a while ago I did a ride with 2 other fat bikers, covering a section with baby-heads and other medium sized rocks. I was on a moonlander with clown shoes, Bud and Lou, one guy was on a fatback with 100mm rims and endos, the other on an early custom bike with (I think) 80mm rims and Husker Du's. One bike had a Maverick SC32 fork, I had a lefty with 80mm travel. They were more experienced bikers than I.

Anyway, they were getting bounced around the trail quite a lot, but I just hunkered down and plowed through. There was a noticeable difference between the 3.8 and 4.8 tires.

I personally don't think a carbon post will make much difference. What has made a difference for me are bigger tires, air pressure, a suspension fork, and to my surprise, a thudbuster long travel seat post. I specify long travel because there are two versions of the thudbuster- the LT feels much more plush; I personally can't tell if the ST does anything.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have tried a Brooks Flyer sprung saddle and found it to be very good at absorbing the bumps. No experience with the tire comparison, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The first thing I changed on my Muk was to go with BFL's front and rear. It is so much more comfortable on rocky and rooted trails than when it was running Nates. Higher volume, lower pressure, more cush. I keeping that set up for comfort and running 29+ wheels when speed is more important.

addicted to chunk
    Has anyone noticed more *drag* going to a bud from a hudu?.....
    really thinking about putting one on the front.
    Riding.....

Nuts
    I really like BFLs in the summer, very fast, smooth, track nice, not too heavy. I know some people find them lacking in traction and I could see that but where I ride they do great. No matter what the rebound dampening is going to suck and going super fast, well lets just say I've found myself almost eating the front wheel a time or two. Sorry Shark no comparison for you as I am off the bike for the rest of the year.

p.s. I do feel like Bud is a pretty fast tire for it's size but it's hard to say due to the fact Lou has always been on the back and let's just he can be a little bit of a drag.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    The first thing I changed on my Muk was to go with BFL's front and rear. It is so much more comfortable on rocky and rooted trails than when it was running Nates. Higher volume, lower pressure, more cush. I keeping that set up for comfort and running 29+ wheels when speed is more important.
    Thanks deuxdiesel, I should have asked in the OP if the BFLs were ok in the traction and grip dept. I would assume they will not grip like the Nates but how are they on wet rocks and roots. A few weeks ago I noticed the Nates felt like they were dragging on our dry trails (at the time) but the majority of the time our trails are on the damp side (northeast PA)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I really like BFLs in the summer, very fast, smooth, track nice, not too heavy. I know some people find them lacking in traction and I could see that but where I ride they do great. No matter what the rebound dampening is going to suck and going super fast, well lets just say I've found myself almost eating the front wheel a time or two. Sorry Shark no comparison for you as I am off the bike for the rest of the year.

p.s. I do feel like Bud is a pretty fast tire for it's size but it's hard to say due to the fact Lou has always been on the back and let's just he can be a little bit of a drag.
    Just saw your post bdundee. Yeah I like the idea of the Bud up front but thought the BFLs might be better in the summer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Well. reading through the neck romancer fat front thread has got me thinking. I might just try a Lou up front and leave the Nate on the back. It sounds like either Bud or Lou would add some cushion and grip up front which would be nice. I might just experiment with leaving Nate on the rear and just change the front only. Wish these tires were cheaper!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Team Honeybadger View Post
    Well. reading through the neck romancer fat front thread has got me thinking. I might just try a Lou up front and leave the Nate on the back. It sounds like either Bud or Lou would add some cushion and grip up front which would be nice. I might just experiment with leaving Nate on the rear and just change the front only. Wish these tires were cheaper!!!
    The Lou doesn't really make much sense as a front tire. It's more of a paddle style tread pattern, so if there's no power to it, it's not much use.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtstretch View Post
    The Lou doesn't really make much sense as a front tire. It's more of a paddle style tread pattern, so if there's no power to it, it's not much use.
    Interesting...I'm not sure which thread but I distinctly remember someone mentioning that they run Lou/Lou on a Moonie due to its aggressiveness. I do see your point about the paddle like tread though. I was looking at it as a bigger Nate. Do you think the Bud is "better" as a front? What tires have you run that you liked? These would be put on RDs on a 907. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Interesting...I'm not sure which thread but I distinctly remember someone mentioning that they run Lou/Lou on a Moonie due to its aggressiveness. I do see your point about the paddle like tread though. I was looking at it as a bigger Nate. Do you think the Bud is "better" as a front? What tires have you run that you liked? These would be put on RDs on a 907. Thanks
    I've only run Bud and Lou on my Moonlander. If I had to pick just 1 of those to run, I'd run 2 Buds. My experience with the Bud is front has been fantastic. It sticks like glue. I don't know if it was because Lou is in the rear, but I have had Lou slide in muddy off camber sections, when Bud will just plow along.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Now that I can relate to. Although rare, I have had a nate slide in muddy off camber conditions (wouldn't expect any tire to grip in that stuff to be honest). I was worried about the Bud sliding but that does sound promising. I would either stick with a nate in the back or maybe go with a knard for faster rolling. It was getting dried up around here but now we have had rainstorms for the past week and the trails will stay damp for a while. Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have found there is more of a comfort difference between 27 and 120 tires than width. Have run BFL's and Nates up front and I like the Nate better. The difference in traction is huge.

mtbr member
    Not fat but I noticed a vast difference in comfort on my Peregrine when I moved from 32mm tyres to 50mmm
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkorn View Post
    I have found there is more of a comfort difference between 27 and 120 tires than width. Have run BFL's and Nates up front and I like the Nate better. The difference in traction is huge.
    Bobkorn, just to clarify. Are you saying the 120s or the 27 tpi are more comfortable? Keep in mind, my riding weight fluctuates as low as 225 and has been as high as 247 (the high water mark so to speak). My friend and i had assumed that the 27TPI were better for heavier riders but don't actually know if that is true or not. Thanks

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Has anyone noticed more *drag* going to a bud from a hudu?.....
    really thinking about putting one on the front.
    Yes, the buds are slower rolling but they give me a bigger smile so I ride them all the time now.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Yes, the buds are slower rolling but they give me a bigger smile so I ride them all the time now.
    I know the feeling. My only problem with the BFL's, is that Bud n Lou look much better.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Bobkorn, just to clarify. Are you saying the 120s or the 27 tpi are more comfortable? Keep in mind, my riding weight fluctuates as low as 225 and has been as high as 247 (the high water mark so to speak). My friend and i had assumed that the 27TPI were better for heavier riders but don't actually know if that is true or not. Thanks
    I don't know how your weight will affect the feel but for me, 175 lbs, I did find the 120's gave a much more comfortable ride especially up front. The difference between a 27 Nate and a 120 was huge. My wrists stop hurting when I switched to the 120. I don't think for a rear tire it makes as much of a difference. I have run both 27 and 120's as rear tires and haven't felt a change.

mtbr member
    I find it easier to get my smaller tires into the bump eating comfort zone. Seems like a bigger sweet spot for not too hard or soft than with the big tires. With the big tires I can find it but feel like I am on beach balls more than the littler tires until I get that perfect air pressure.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    May 2012

Good job!

I am happy with 4.8 Bud in front and 4.7 BF Larry in back.
    As a big guy, the larger tires allow more comfortable cushion/float in my ride, and they look right too!
    I ride a black Neck-romancer and switched to On One Mary Bars (black... of course) to help my aching wrists last September. Doubt if if larger tires would have prevented that move then, and I really like the comfort Mary now provides. I can ride far,far longer with no pain in arm.
    Comfort equals great handle bar and great big tires!!!
    Yep..., Bud, BFLarry and Mary.