Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Good work Mikee!

So the question is, how do I get Frame Saver OUT of my Waltworks?! Ha ha. It's actually a bit concerning because I can't imagine what's happening inside my frame at the moment given the moisture it's subjected to for the most part of the year?!

The good news for me is that the Fluid Film product is readily available and a lot cheaper than Frame Saver...

mtbr member
    Just J,

You bring up a good point.

I was actually thinking the same thing and was wanting to do some other experimenting with things like rubbing alcohol/brake clean/different degreasers etc. to find out which one would easily wash away these products. I just simply havent done any testing yet...
    I would consider trying doing this with rubbing alcohol.

Sidenote:

This testing was “EXTREME”
    I’m confident that your tubing is safe right now with framesaver.

But it wouldn’t hurt to upgrade in the future

mtbr member
    Thanks Mikee, yes I'd be inclined to slosh some Isopropyl Alcohol around the insides of the frame. Next time the frame is stripped, I will take a good look and report back...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Good work Mikee!

So the question is, how do I get Frame Saver OUT of my Waltworks?!
    It looks like you could use battery acid to get it out.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    FWIW I've used Fluid Film over existing products. I would think treating over Frame Saver should be fine. If you did want to remove Frame Saver I'm sure Laquer Thinner would do it but then again it would remove paint too. Maybe a project for the next paint job.

Thanks again to the OP for running this test! I can't say I'm too surprised. I tried several products on my cars before I settled on Fluid Film. I have cars that have seen a decade of Cleveland winters and the Fluid Film is keeping them very rust free.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    It looks like you could use battery acid to get it out.
    LOL good idea, why didn’t I think of that?!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeetheviking View Post
    Thanks bucksaw87!

Glad you are enjoying this!

If anyone has any product recommendations for a 2019 shootout
    do share!
    Maxima chain wax. It goes on very liquid like kerosene. Sake your bike around and let it drain out the holes. It then dries like the stuff car brake rotors come coated with. (I also use it on new vehicles in the cracks and crevasis) I even used Maxima chain wax inside my aluminum frame to prevent corrosion for ocean beach rides and salty winter Michigan roads. I don't like to use it to wax my chain however. Squirt lube works better than any previous wax I have used except maybe boiling the chain in paraffin.(waxing since 1975)

Cleaner - use brake rotor cleaner to get any of this oil out of your frame. (basically the same stuff dry cleaners use)

mtbr member
    Lol sryanak

Yes ferrstein, I think you have the right idea just spraying Fluid Film right over the Framesaver should work.

k.b. “Maxima chainwax noted!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Cool thread and great test! I've used Fluid Film for a few years now. Great product. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read that it's non toxic, all natural.
    Last edited by joshtee; 1 Week Ago at 08:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtee View Post
    Cool thread and great test! I've used Fluid Film for a few years now. Great product. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read that it's non toxic, all natural.
    Indeed. It is basically lanolin, so it does have the risk of making your skin really soft. The spray cans have propellants that are probably not harmless but this stuff isn't nearly as toxic as most things of this nature. I do wear a respirator to keep from inhaling the mist when I apply it... but then again I pretty much always wear a respirator when I'm making dust or fumes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrstein View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtee View Post
    Indeed. It is basically lanolin, so it does have the risk of making your skin really soft. The spray cans have propellants that are probably not harmless but this stuff isn't nearly as toxic as most things of this nature. I do wear a respirator to keep from inhaling the mist when I apply it... but then again I pretty much always wear a respirator when I'm making dust or fumes.
    Fluid Film produces a number of products: "lanolin-based brand of corrosion preventive and lubricant". The one tested is available in an aerosol and non-aerosol. Description on site includes:
    • "a non-toxic, long lasting, thixotropic liquid"
    • "formulated from specially processed wool-wax, highly refined petroleum oils and selected agents"

The SDS lists ingredients of the aerosol version as:
    • Refined petroleum oil, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic
    • Petroleum gases, liquified, sweetened
    • Benzenesulfonic Acid, Di-C10-18-alkyl derivs., calcium salts
    The non-aerosol drops the middle ingredient.

I assume those are the ingredients in addition to Lanolin?

(wikipedia on Lanolin mentions "Commercial products (e.g. Lanocote) containing up to 85% lanolin are used to prevent corrosion in marine fasteners, especially when two different metals are in contact with each other and saltwater.")
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12