mtbr member
    Mar 2013

answer needed please

ok problem is trying to go tubeless on my fatty 70mm rims bfl. getto tape. the only problem is when trying to seat the tyres i dont know when there seated should i hear a pop or something i have been upto 40 psi and still no pop .when i let air out to 15 psi i can push the side in and air will come out how do i get these to seat on bead thats my only problem no leaks just bad seating
    thx all answers welcome
    Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Generally the tires will pop onto the bead with a loud pop sound. Try using some soapy water on the tire bead when seating the bead. The bead should stay put once properly beaded. To test you should let all the air out and the tire should not come off the bead any where. That is what i have done to verify. Hope that helps. I have had to go up to almost 50psi to seat one of the tires. Just work up the psi slowly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: answer needed please

thx will try. was a bit reluctant to pump anymore

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Exactly what rim are you using? As I understand, it and I could be wrong, the early Uma 70's did not have as pronounced a bead seat as the newer ones do. If your rim doesn't have a bead seat made for tubeess or at least a close approximation you may never get a great pop onto the seat and it may never lock. Good Luck
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

there the on one fatty rims

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I haven't tried to go tubeless yet, but looking at the On One rims, there is a very narrow bead shelf, that is also not very tight to the tire beads. It may not have enough material there, especially if your tape is very thick going up the side,where the tire bead meets the sidewall of the rim.

If you look around the tire at the line just outside the rim, if it is even all the way around, then the tire is on the bead shelf, but is not tight enough to the bead seat, or doesn't have a slightly taller surface right behind where it comes to rest.

I would start with some thin 3M duct tape going all the way across the rim over your foam and then to the edge of the horizontal bead shelf, and not up the side walls at all, then another layer of tape that comes out only part way onto the little bead shelves to build the part right behind the tire bead up a little more, then a third layer that goes to the edge. If this is still not tight enough to hold the bead in place, then repeat the last two layers until it is.

mtbr member
    You should have a read through this thread....

On-One Fatty Wheelset and Floater Tire Tubeless Setup (How To)

Laramie, Wyoming
    You should give us a picture of the setup without the tire on it. And, skip the suggestion of soapy water on the bead. If anything, liberally spread some Stans on the bead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    this is the setup I am going to try. the yellow is foam, the other colors are just to show the layers of tape I will be using to make it work. I used thicker lines than the scale for the tape thickness I want to use to exaggerate the look of the bead holding ridge created by using different width tape in each layer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails answer needed please-untitled.jpg  

Laramie, Wyoming
    autodoctor, I would suggest some changes in your plan. I took some liberties with your design. I would suggest the red being what you see from the ouside of the rim if you have cutouts, otherwise skip. If you use the red layer, you will need to tape over it, reversing the sticky side of the tape. The blue is a layer of clear packing tape. The orange is a layer of gorilla tape that is trimmed to the outside of the rim. The tire will pull it back in some as the tire inflates.

Smash Mode: ON
    In my experience with ghetto tape tubeless (on Holey RD's), if your bead does not pop onto the seat and if it is not physically hard to pull off the seat once on there, it will leak. It will air up fine and hold pressure just sitting there but it will slowly leak air and sealant at the bead when ridden. Add layers of tape over the bead shelf and slightly down the valley until you get a substantial pop when the bead seats and you will be good to go. I have never had to go much if any over 20psi to get it to pop.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

nah tried all day now think i will put tube back in.no pop happening takes 2 mins to change tube but would have prefered tubless might have a go with split tube.

Laramie, Wyoming
    They don't have to "pop", but they do need to seat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

think i am going to just put the remaining stan i have left in the tube it had a thorn in and still punctured so i will see if it seals not bothered about weight just hate flats heres some good info
    http://frankrevelo.com/hiking/biking_flatprevention.htm

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    autodoctor, I would suggest some changes in your plan. I took some liberties with your design. I would suggest the red being what you see from the ouside of the rim if you have cutouts, otherwise skip. If you use the red layer, you will need to tape over it, reversing the sticky side of the tape. The blue is a layer of clear packing tape. The orange is a layer of gorilla tape that is trimmed to the outside of the rim. The tire will pull it back in some as the tire inflates.

I want there to be something supporting the bead from behind, to help it stay on the already narrow bead shelf besides air, so it can be run at fairly low pressures. Anything that goes up the sidewall will make that bead shelf even narrower, especially something as thick as Gorilla tape. Maybe that setup will work well on a Rolling Darrell or something else, but by the time you put Goriilla tape up the sidewall on the OnOne rim, there is almost no bead shelf left, and what is left is sloped downward with no bump to keep the tire bead in place.