Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Another SRAM XX1 question for fatties

Didn't want to hijack that last thread, so here goes.

Want to run SRAM XX1 on a new fat-and-squishy build (likely a NAHBS bike). Don't want to run 1x9 or 1x10.
    Questions:
    1. Sram obviously doesn't have a fat crankset, so I would have to put the spider on another crankset. Are there any fat cranksets that will accept a SRAM spider/chainring? Middleburn isn't compatible as far as I know. If worst comes to worst will have to run a normal chainring, but their chainring is attractive since it has the chain-retaining teeth that obviate the need for a chainguide. Unfortunately their chainrings have a funky BCD that is specific to their chainrings. My other option might be to talk with homebrewed components to make a spider for me...

2. Are there any 170mm rear hubs that will accept the new SRAM XD freehub body (SRAM XD Driver Body) ? It is supposed to be compatible with mavic and DT swiss. Will any of the 170mm rear hubs take a mavic or DT swiss freehub body? If so, I think that would work.

Thanks in advance for advice. Already starting to think about the build 6 months out...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Hope XX1 driver

2013 Hope XD Freehub for SRAM XX1 - New Mountain Bike Components at Eurobike 2012 - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

Has anyone seen this news? It appears Hope will have a XX1 driver body that will fit their FatSno hubs. I think XX1 has the potential to be very good on the fatbike since no FD issues. And, it's quite light.

Fat & Single
    The issue with fatbikes is tyre clearance of the chain in granny gear and 100mm cranks/BB choice with proprietary components. The whole magic of XX1 is the massive granny.... no use if your chain is caught up on the tyre.

At the price of a complete Salsa or Surly bike i dont reckon there many here going to rush out to but a light gear system for a 30lb bike when it might not work..... Guinea pig needed

Info on these 2 threads already.

Here
    Here
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    10-42 cassette as opposed to 11-36 though. So for those commited to running a 1x set-up because of clearance issues, or a desire for simplicity. Its a big improvement in range.

Too rich for me though.
    A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

mtbr member
    My local shop is pretty cluey and they say it can't be done.. Bugger!

DJ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJohn View Post
    My local shop is pretty cluey and they say it can't be done.. Bugger!

DJ
    If the Hope Tech free hub convertor works with the FatSno rear hub. Which I reckon it should. Then why not?

Is there a reason you have to use the XX1 crankset? cant you just replace it with the 100mm BB shell compatible cranks of your chioce
    62*28'

Fat & Single
    Ive just put 1 x 10spd on my new bike and its still $250 for an XO level cassette... its been out a couple of years too and thats not even the top XX..... XX1 will be a re-mortgage
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    I have an XO rear mech, an XTR 11-36 cassette, a XTR chain, and a Raceface crankset with Homebrewed 31T chainring. Ready for my bike. All picked up from clearance sales. At the moment 10 speed is just easier to find cheap, and thus easier to replace.

But soon......

I run 11 speed Campag SR on the road bike, with a Rotor crankset + chainrings. So I'm happy running a 11 speed drivechain with 10 speed cranks. Works brilliantly. There could be issues using a standard 3/32 single speed chainring perhaps. But I struggle to believe a 10 speed chainring would'nt work. Theoretically more likely to through a chain maybe. But thats what chain keepers are for.
    62*28'

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm going overseas for a few months, but if this thread is still rolling in January - I'm gonna be the Guinea Pig...

Can always put the XX1 on a Spearfish if it doesn't work on my fattie....

Fat & Single
    I cant see the issue with the chainring either. Might be offset ? I run a 30t HBC ring one my 1 x 10.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    I cant see the issue with the chainring either. Might be offset ? I run a 30t HBC ring one my 1 x 10.
    I assume the chain is narrow, much like my 11 speed KMC road chain. I'm tempted to try and wrap that around my HBC singlespeed chainring now. Could be an expensive experiment if it works though. My gut says its wont quite fit.
    62*28'

Fat & Single
    The only reason was the long teeth of the 11spd stopped the chain fall off without a guard ???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another SRAM XX1 question for fatties-sram-xx1-1x11-mtb-crankset-details05.jpg  

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Wow. Them be some long teeth!

Is that because the cassette wider than a 10 speed?
    62*28'

Fat & Single
    I believe its because of there is no chainguard needed.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    So add chain device to fat crankset with chainrings removed to leave one = job jobbed.
    62*28'

Fat & Single
    The key word was "fatbike", no REAL weight weenies in this club.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    but plenty of weeenies

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hate to say it but plenty of weight weenies here (myself included) bragging about their 26# bikes. We are nicely offset by those who brag about their 50# bikes. It's all good, but 50# seriously?
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Hate to say it but plenty of weight weenies here (myself included) bragging about their 26# bikes. We are nicely offset by those who brag about their 50# bikes. It's all good, but 50# seriously?
    guilty as well since i chose the parts and factored in weight while doing so...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallfurry View Post
    If the Hope Tech free hub convertor works with the FatSno rear hub. Which I reckon it should. Then why not?

Is there a reason you have to use the XX1 crankset? cant you just replace it with the 100mm BB shell compatible cranks of your chioce
    I asked all those questions.. Maybe they were too quick to throw it in the too hard basket.. I used to race mt bikes and train with the top SRAM guy here so I might have to chase him up and run it by him.

DJ

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hopefully i'll be the guinea pig with some cool results this coming february. With 170mm hub and 145mm bb spindle, there shouldnt be any tire/chain issues. The next issue is the proprietary spider snd chainring (since that's part of the magic). I think this can be solved with a custom bb30 spindle.

mtbr member
    Weight is even more important on fat bikes because the wheels/tires wide hubs and cranks are weight that you can't do much about. So making up for it other places is key.

The XX1 rings aren't just long but have odd shaped teeth that grab the chain. Like others have pointed out there is no reason you couldn't run any crankset you want that gives you the right gearing along with a guide system. XX1 rings are probably better but not required.

Will the Hope conversion be offered in 170mm? If not then that is the stumbling block because the XX1 cassette will only fit dedicated hubs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another SRAM XX1 question for fatties-xx1_chainring.jpg  

No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hope's Xd driver is supposed to fit all Pro2 Evo and Pro 3 models. Fatsno is a Pro2 Evo model.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noish View Post
    Hope's Xd driver is supposed to fit all Pro2 Evo and Pro 3 models. Fatsno is a Pro2 Evo model.
    This^

I have both a standard Pro2, and a Fatsno. The innerds look identical to my, admittedly non-expert, eye.

Personally, from what I've read here, I'd look to use the XX1 chainring. But if the BCD is odd. Thats going to be tricky. Plenty of folk, on this very forum, have shown ingenuity to get around bigger issues, in the name of the fat.

Do it!
    62*28'

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Leonardi Racing, in Italy, makes 11 or 12-40 cassettes...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast