Loser

Another DIY fat bike fork - Magura

You can't argue with the results, but the process is killer and not what I would label DIY:

Singletrack Magazine | Magura engineer's DIY fatbike fork
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another DIY fat bike fork - Magura-magura-fatbike-fork-duo-1-.jpg  

Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    May 2007
    One of the major goals in this unsanctioned project was to see if it could be done at home, without the need for special bonding or laminating tools. The short answer is yes, the long answer follows…
    The short answer is "no" based on the first step alone. While this is cool, not everyone has access to a CNC machine, let alone at home.

Ah, and I'm thinking most people don't have access to their CAD data, either.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    The short answer is "no" based on the first step alone. While this is cool, not everyone has access to a CNC machine, let alone at home.

Agreed.

Everything after that is legit though and could be done. Were I to do it, I'd avoid disturbing the crown/upper bonds, and just cut the crown and lower arches, and then composite together those areas as is otherwise described in the post.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Nemophilist
    Were I too do it....

Damn, I better get back to work.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post

But most people do have the ability to hire a machine shop to make those parts and access to a friend with enough CAD ability to draw up a suitable crown.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Were I too do it....

Damn, I better get back to work.
    Even if you have miles to go before that project sleeps, you're further along than I am.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Nemophilist
    Hmmmm....

Unless you have some real good friends with a few hundred thou worth of equipment, you aint getting no billet fork crown. A talented guy with a vert mill could do it, but it would take quite a bit of time. It would be hard to get a job shop to sit still long enough to crank out a one off part like that. I'd say it would cost you $4-500 to have one done in any fashion. Having friends in low to medium places make all the difference. Oh... and you have to be able to work in cryo tolerances, which are into the VERY low tenths.

That's tenths of thousandths of an inch for those who don't know, measured with laser metrology equipment.

I'm cheating... slowly.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Anyone can make a crown. In Canada it just requires taking a four year machinist apprenticeship and then finding a job at a machine shop that will let you use the machines on your lunch breaks every day for weeks and weeks. I went through that process and managed to make a pretty cool fat fork out of an old Marzocchi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another DIY fat bike fork - Magura-cimg1264-1.jpg  

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
    Anyone can make a crown. In Canada it just requires taking a four year machinist apprenticeship and then finding a job at a machine shop that will let you use the machines on your lunch breaks every day for weeks and weeks. I went through that process and managed to make a pretty cool fat fork out of an old Marzocchi.
    OK...

A clamp interface has only moderate relation to a cryo version, surprisingly enough, and is perhaps even less understood. Are your stanchions suitable for clamping force? It's not the same as cryo stresses. Anyone with said opportunities can make a crown. It's "easy."

Not many really know all of what is at play.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It is just barely more DIY than asking 3D Racing to make you one.
    Cryofitting and custon CNC-ing stuff isn't something 90% of home mechs can really do, so no it certainly isn't "DIY" in the sense of being doable at home.

Let's get past that.

IS MAGURA MAKING THEM FOR US?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!