mtbr member
    May 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm Anniversary Present?

I have a Black Ops Pugs. Neck Romancer. Middle of the 3 Surly Fatties.

In fact, I picked it up one year ago yesterday. I love that bike.

This morning I pulled the trigger on a Surly Bud for the front and a BFL for the rear. Iguess it is an anniversary present. Ha! ("Well, I said I love that bike... )

I guess I am wondering if many others are running that combo on their black Pugs, or their regular Pugs with a Moonlander Fork?

The Endomorph was tough to get through winter ice on an incline. With my size, I want as much flotation as possible. Hence the reason for the new tires.

I know the Bud is a great front tire. Is it possible to run Bud front & in the rear? Or is it just sized too much like Lou to run in the back of a Pugs?

I know some run Nates in rear with Bud up front. Curious about other possibilities. I know there are not a lot of choices in the 4.7 or 4.8 category.

Thanks for replies and Thanks for all posts to this forum. I enjoy them.
    Last edited by Nevaditude; 06-11-2013 at 10:11 PM.

mtbr member
    I run 2 BFLs on my Necro in the winter, and honestly once my cheap 27tpi Endos wear out, will run BFL full time. I find they work well in dry and wet conditions and other than camber turns, do everything really well for me. Camber sucks though. I dunno if I run mine so flat(I am a small petite female rider), that I hit side camber and my tires flatten out on the sidewalls to slicks or what, but I really have to watch that when wet/muddy conditions exist.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I ran Bud on Clown Shoe and Nate on Darryl all Winter on my Necro, and it was perfect. Great setup for Winter, but I now have BFL/Larry on it for Summer conditions. Bud/Nate are too much, imo, for trail/off road in good conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2012

... and if we just ...

NBToes, Understand about the camber. My Endo was sketchy a few times this winter.

Raul, You think a Bud is too much for dry summer trails?

I'm running on non drilled Darryls. Does the drilling add to performance in that the air has a place to move within the tire???

Sounds like a silly question, but wondering about performance, as I can save weight by dieting rather than putting holes in rim. Rim strips look good though, I will admit that fact.

Thanks to all for any replies...
    Last edited by Nevaditude; 06-11-2013 at 09:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have yet to find a condition where the Nate's are clearly superior to the BFL's. The extra volume and ability to lower pressures really helps to BFL's with traction by conforming more to the terrain. Wet and dry sand, loose gravel and soft loam, plus heavy wet snow, the BFL's don't seem lacking for me. Maybe deep and light dry snow would be different, be we don't get that where I ride. Nate's are clearly superior in making more noise and slowing the bike because of their rolling resistance, but I'm not sure that is a plus.

mtbr member
    Drilling your rims will give people a 'squishy button thing' to poke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I have yet to find a condition where the Nate's are clearly superior to the BFL's....
    I have.

Any soft going where you have a bit of speed. If you turn sharply, the BFLs will wash out, skimming/floating across the top, the Nates dig in and go where you point them. Nates also feel a bit more secure on slick black ice, but there's not much grip from either in those conditions.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for replies.
    Does ANYONE ride a Bud in front and a BFL in back during the dry trail season?
    If you do, would you let me know how that set up works for ya?

I am looking forward to the extra "bigness" of the larger tires and am not out there to break any speed records, but think that additional " give" the larger tires provide will be what I'm looking for. Not thrilled at the growing thought that maybe I should have got 2 BFLarry's instead of the Bud.

Oh well, I will ride it when it arrives and see how Bud plays w/the sand here. I know winter time will be where it shines. I think the Endo in rear contributed to what caused a slide on an icy incline last January. Rear slipped out, hit left elbow then shoulder on ground. Happened fast and then I slid along a snow covered patch for about 45 feet. I was laughing as I slowed to a stopped. Haven't felt so much like a ten year old since I was one. LOL.

Glad I wasn't hurt, but elbow was stiff for weeks and I started thinking I had been lucky to avoid injury to shoulder, etc... Changed my approach when going down that hill has helped as well. Definitely paid more attention to that section after that. SKILLZ are essential. A BFL is not the best choice in rear in winter I imagine. Maybe for time being with a lack of aggressive 4.8 choices that fit rear of Pugs, Necro & otherwise. I will make certain that I continue to hone skills. ( always a good plan)

I do love riding that bike. It does make one grin from ear to ear and feel like a kid agin. The sheer joy it brings to bike riding is just wonderful.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Give the On One Floater a try. I am liking mine quite a bit so far, little less aggressive as the Nate, great traction and rolls smooth. Not a 4.8, but it's plenty fat for riding trails and giving some float. Not sure about the sand/snow yet.

I got a pair delivered from the UK for $128.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Anniversary Present?

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaditude View Post
    Thanks for replies.

I am looking forward to the extra "bigness" of the larger tires and am not out there to break any speed records, but think that additional " give" the larger tires provide will be what I'm looking for. Not thrilled at the growing thought that maybe I should have got 2 BFLarry's instead of the Bud.

Oh well, I will ride it when it arrives and see how Bud plays w/the sand here. I know winter time will be where it shines. I think the Endo in rear contributed to what caused a slide on an icy incline last January. Rear slipped out, hit left elbow then shoulder on ground. Happened fast and then I slid along a snow covered patch for about 45 feet. I was laughing as I slowed to a stopped. Haven't felt so much like a ten year old since I was one. LOL.

Glad I wasn't hurt, but elbow was stiff for weeks and I started thinking I had been lucky to avoid injury to shoulder, etc... Changed my approach when going down that hill has helped as well. Definitely paid more attention to that section after that. SKILLZ are essential. A BFL is not the best choice in rear in winter I imagine. Maybe for time being with a lack of aggressive 4.8 choices that fit rear of Pugs, Necro & otherwise. I will make certain that I continue to hone skills. ( always a good plan)

I do love riding that bike. It does make one grin from ear to ear and feel like a kid agin. The sheer joy it brings to bike riding is just wonderful.
    I run a Nate in front and a regular Larry on the rear for dry season. Working well for me so far. I like the aggressive tire up front for the dry season. For winter, it's Nate front, Nate rear.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    I run a Nate in front and a regular Larry on the rear for dry season. Working well for me so far. If I had more $$, it would be Nate up front, and Knard 3.8 on the rear. I like the aggressive tire up front for the dry season. For winter, it's Nate front, Nate rear.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks.a bunch for the thoughts.
    Okay.... maybe aggressive in front is going to be fine for summer.
    Wonder if anybody has tried to run a Bud in rear of a Black Ops Pugs? Is a bud / bud combo not feasible? I know a Lou won't fit,but is there much difference in their over size on a Darryl?

mtbr member
    May 2011

Thanks.a bunch for the thoughts.
    Okay.... maybe aggressive in front is going to be fine for summer.
    Wonder if anybody has tried to run a Bud in rear of a Black Ops Pugs? Is a bud / bud combo not feasible? I know a Lou won't fit,but is there much difference in their over size on a Darryl?
    Neither Bud nor Lou fit into the rear of a Pugsley. Especially when you take into account frame, wheel wheel flexing in real world use. BFL's fit in the rear of a Pugsley.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for all replies.
    Bud and Big Fat Larry arrived for the put on. I like look and initial feel of this combo. Apparently, this is as large as it gets for a Black Ops Pugs. I am looking forward to seeing how they do this summer season.
    Much appreciation for all who took the time to share.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Anniversary Present?

Thanks for replies.
    Can't tell you about the BFL, but my Moonlander came with Bud and Lou. I've been riding it since March on those tires, including dry single track in central NY. Sure I roll a bit slower than the other guys, but I make up for it in traction and when I have a slight downhill advantage.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks BabyToes, Raul, 2Diesel, OffCourse, VeloBike, Ultra, and Sarge!
    All appreciated. We will see how they roll!