Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

An Analysis Of Surly's Marketing Strategy

Hey, you, riding your champagne-colored Moonlander on the sidewalks of Boca Raton!

Did you know Surly uses a marketing strategy that's equally effective for brands like Prada, Louis Vuitton, Gucci and Burberry?

The simple formula is:

Rudeness + Exclusive Pricing = Brand Desirability

Read about the research recently published by respected academics in the Journal of Consumer Research at the link below:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-we...203347972.html

Discuss.

mtbr member
    Are you just mad that you can't afford a surly?

You should give examples or you just come off as surly malcontent.
    "The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
    -Douglas Adams

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The Surly attitude beefs are worn. If you like a bike, buy it. If you don't, don't. Who cares about a Surly blogger's attitude.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    So you're saying Surly is a luxury brand with exclusive pricing?

You also missed the part about them testing this on 70 and 200 women, last time I checked men and women are different.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Spock View Post
    Discuss.
    Give the dog a bone?

Too obvious...

mtbr member
    All bike companies do it, but sometimes it's the reverse in "race to the bottom" pricing, and make hay on volume. The fat bike sector is going through that right now.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    The fact that we're trying to compare the purchasing habits of a group of hypersensitive women looking for a $1000+ purse, vs a broad collection of men and women who like to get dirty, sweaty and bloody while playing in the mud, makes it difficult for me to see the parallels at play here.

Besides, last time I checked, most bike shops sell the way they want to, and since Surly doesn't have a high end, exclusive carbon fiber road line, and offers nothing in the way of sales/marketing training to their dealers, I doubt you'll see much in the way of snobbery involved in the sale of a Pacer, Troll, or Karate Monkey, particularly when compared to a roadie exclusive shop selling euro branded everything, who tells you that your dirt covered MTB is not welcome in their boutique.

Agreed, don't like the 'tude, don't read the blog. Want a solidly built, powder coated steel frame to beat the snot out of, buy one of their bikes if you want to.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Unless I'm misinterpreting this, I see Surly as the opposite of the exclusive brands. They are priced low enough that they are within reach of most cyclists and can be purchased almost everywhere. I'm seeing more correlation to the carbon fiber bikes that are now approaching 5 figures. Surly's blog seems more tongue-in-cheek, trying to embrace the anti-social skate punk attitude.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You know how I know you are not the REAL Mr. Spock?

This thread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yeah, I feal real exlusive on my $2300 moonlander when a $6K plus carbon or Ti fatty is on a ride. Get real.

In a world where a mid level dualie trail bike is $4K I think you are mistaken. Top this off that the manufacturer is clear to say where the frame is made from, they don't do custom, oh, and the weight is often compared to a boat anchor and marketed to the explorer (every day trail rider), and not the racer or tech head, I think you, sir, are lost.

Not to mention this topic has been cover a million times.

If you are board, seek vises elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Logical...
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    You know how I know you are not the REAL Mr. Spock?

This thread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    As someone just recently in the market I find their prices a bit high even compared to Trek, but then I'm not sure what discounts one gets via their LBS or if they will come down in response to a lot of competition coming into the market. Their marketing strategy of random silly names gets a bit old. It's one thing to name a bike. It's another to have a Moonlander with a Bluto with big fat larrys on snowshoes with a red rocket, five russian midgets, a trunk monkey and a three day old burrito with a space shuttle chain.

On one hand they are kinda the Henry Ford of fatbikes. On the other hand they sell a rigid steel frame bike for two grand and people paid it because their marketing is good and they don't have any competition. Well, one of those is going away fast.

Lastly, my stable has two treks, a gary fisher and a bikes direct. I can't ride any of without getting dick comment from someone. I'm sure it'd be the same on a Surly. Bike people can be like middle school girls, threads like this being a good example.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Exclusive pricing for Surly bikes, eh?

OP you are a few spokes short of a wheel.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    $9k for a top end Tiawan trail bike nowadays when a high end trail bike in 2004 was $3200, but was handbuilt in the good old USA.....times are a changing, I don't think it is just Surly.

As for the names who cares? Would you like the standard numbering system?

The moonlander can now be called the 9900 FB, SH, SFDTMTAF (fat bike, super heavy), super fun don't tell me tires are fat.

We all have way too much time on our hands to argue about this garbage, don't like? Don't buy, end of story.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    OP- Congrats you & now me are doing just what Surly wants... talking about/marketing their bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirefury12 View Post

As for the names who cares? Would you like the standard numbering system?

We all have way too much time on our hands to argue about this garbage, don't like? Don't buy, end of story.
    Well this is a thread on Surly marketing, so if there was a place for people who care about this stuff this would be it.

I think the book "Rikki Tikki Tembo" sums up why the Surly product naming system is flawed better than I can. If you don't get it at the end have a child explain it to you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    The fact that we're trying to compare the purchasing habits of a group of hypersensitive women looking for a $1000+ purse, vs a broad collection of men and women who like to get dirty, sweaty and bloody while playing in the mud, makes it difficult for me to see the parallels at play here.
    Have you ever hung out at a high end bike shop?

For the most part, pople are pretty much wired the same way. People use fashion to help define who they think they are...or want to be....bikes are a fashion statment just like anything else.....why do you think people ride singlespeeds? Why do you think people ride fat bikes in the summer? Riding Unsuspended bikes through rocky hell rides? They are making a fashion statment....my father called it "making a personel statment through an act that is just plain st00pid"....

Any compeny that names its self SURLY is making a fashion statment and trying to define its self in the market....are you a surly guy? Ride our bikes and tell the world........come to think of it...I should go trademark HUGE NUTSACK BIKES.....gota go....
    Old guy in the woods

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Surly has exclusive pricing? This is either a pro-level troll or a dude with a garage full of Walmart bikes

addicted to chunk
    umm....?....
    I must admit I don't read the surly blog very often, but it's nice to see a co. that lets their employee's actually rant/rave/bla bla about whatever they want. Seems everyone is so sensitive these days you can't get away with that anymore.

Exclusive pricing? Not seeing it...

Maybe some of the local handbuilt $5K custom ti frame manufactures (but then you are paying for the local skill/craftsmanship, whether it's worth it or not is up to the buyer, no one else ),

not surly....
    I try to avoid Florida if at all possible...lol

sorry this thread did not quite go the way you thought
    Riding.....

Nuts
    Every time I look at their blog all i get is......
    Smiley and more of this Smiley and sometimes even this Smiley I'm not real sure but maybe they are trying to tell us somethingSmiley
    Last edited by bdundee; 07-03-2014 at 12:40 PM.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME View Post

For the most part, pople are pretty much wired the same way. People use fashion to help define who they think they are...or want to be....bikes are a fashion statment just like anything else.....why do you think people ride singlespeeds? Why do you think people ride fat bikes in the summer? Riding Unsuspended bikes through rocky hell rides? They are making a fashion statment....my father called it "making a personel statment through an act that is just plain st00pid"....

Any compeny that names its self SURLY is making a fashion statment and trying to define its self in the market....are you a surly guy? Ride our bikes and tell the world........come to think of it...I should go trademark HUGE NUTSACK BIKES.....gota go....
    You HIT the nail right on the HEAD.. "FASHION STATEMENT" I can relate and totally agree with you. Just like owning Watches, Luggage or what ever..Could i just get by with a $300.00 bike for exercise? Yes but I wont.I just bought a Salsa Beargrease XX1 for this same reason...!
    Trek Equinox 9.9 TTL, Trek Madone 6.9 Project One, Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Fuel 9.0, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9,BGXX1

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sure do like allot of they're bikes, and products... especially tires! In the beginning (of fat biking) they had the gumption to produce the Endomorph... against all odds! And it (fat biking) "snow balled" from then on. They didn't invent fat biking, but w/o they're efforts, it would NOT have evolved to what it is today. Hat's off to those folks! And keep up the good work!! They can flip me the bird any time they want... I'm still gonna buy they're stuff. And BTW, a big fat Endo for sand would be nice...

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME View Post

I like that you have no f*cking clue who you are talking to.

Mendon Cycle Smith
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    I like that you have no f*cking clue who you are talking to.

Mendon Cycle Smith
    That was a little funny.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I single speed & fat bike because I like it. It's not an image thing "fashion statement" at all. I usually ride solo or with one or 2 buddies who I've been friends with for 20+ years. Usually ride at odd hours too. I think MOST cyclists are truly passionate about their platform. Whether is me a guy in his 40s on I fat bike or SS, a hipster on a fixie, or a 5k carbon tri bike. Surly/QBP has brought products to the market that have improved my quality of life enjoyment. Overall they are a good corporate citizen. I don't want a fat single speed for my image, I want one to see if I can make it up the next climb with a smile on my face.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast