Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    A tire + rim combo that's 0.25" too big to fit into existing fatbike frames and a frame + fork that is compatible.
    "like"^...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just bought another Surly. Damn those ba$tards got me again!
    Do tell Vik, What now?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was speaking with a Surly/Salsa dealer who wasn't all that happy with how Surly/Salsa is handling the fat bike scene. He might just be upset because they are staying tight lipped regarding release dates and updates.

He is kind of a dick anyways...so ymmv.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    But that's the rub. Where, and more importantly, when?

When I bought my 1x1, I didn't know of any other similar frameset that was generally available at a better price, or I would have bought it.

No-one was building anything like the Instigator when I bought it.

The Pugsley was the only choice when I bought it. There is still very little alternative if you want to use hubgears.

On behalf of all old Surly owners, I must apologise.

You see we didn't realise we were being fashionable or trendy when we bought our bikes on the basis they were to do a job rather than the aura around them.

Is that a fashion sin? I abase myself in horror at my ignorance in buying bikes fit for purpose.

I think this has been Surly's marketing strategy more than image. Make bikes that some people will want/can use that noone else is making.
    I have a CrossCheck because I wanted a single speed road bike with drop bars, 35mm+ tires and full fenders.
    I have a Pugsley because I wanted a fat bike.
    At the time I bought each Surly was my only choice outside of custom.
    Some of their products remain niche products that sell enough for them to maintain the model but not enough to generate serious competition. Others like the Pugsley are very successful and you get many other brands competing and Surly will lose market share.

As for image I usually ride my bikes in spandex and hivis jerseys and I am decidedly non hip. But I do really appreciate a low maintenance, durable bike as I am lazy

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post

I think this has been Surly's marketing strategy more than image. Make bikes that some people will want/can use that noone else is making.
    I have a CrossCheck because I wanted a single speed road bike with drop bars, 35mm+ tires and full fenders.
    I have a Pugsley because I wanted a fat bike.
    At the time I bought each Surly was my only choice outside of custom.
    Some of their products remain niche products that sell enough for them to maintain the model but not enough to generate serious competition. Others like the Pugsley are very successful and you get many other brands competing and Surly will lose market share.

As for image I usually ride my bikes in spandex and hivis jerseys and I am decidedly non hip. But I do really appreciate a low maintenance, durable bike as I am lazy
    Very well said, I think people forget that Surly had the Pugsley out YEARS before any other fat bikes existed. In fact, the price hasn't really gone up that much either (I could be wrong, I think it was $1200 when it came out, they can be had locally by me for $1550 now). I think the pugs came out in the early 2000's? The only reason I remember was the adrenaline bikes ad in Mountain Bike action which had a small pic and advertisement.

Bottom line is, Surly makes bikes that fit a niche with little competition, fat bikes just gained some momentum.

I still have a hard time understanding the bicycle hate. There are brands that are over priced, have annoying marketing, or representatives that are arrogant as all heck when interviewed, that doesn't mean I can't stand them or go out of my way to complain on a forum about it. But everyone is entitled to their $0.02

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    If we think we have a decent grasp of all things Surly, anyone up for going to the next level?

What widgets of mass dependence does Surly have hidden away in their quiver to surprise us with next?
    I hope a fat big dummy that can fit Bud and Lou's, with a troll/orge drop-out for adding trailers, gates belt drive compatible, and lots of braze-ons. Heck toss on a Bluto and call it good. Just to be edgy let the customershave the choice of dirt drop bars, jonesLoops or ape hangers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Like a $425.00 frame ? That is not exclusive pricing, Just affordable, well thought out ,versatile bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirefury12 View Post
    Very well said, I think people forget that Surly had the Pugsley out YEARS before any other fat bikes existed. In fact, the price hasn't really gone up that much either (I could be wrong, I think it was $1200 when it came out, they can be had locally by me for $1550 now). I think the pugs came out in the early 2000's? The only reason I remember was the adrenaline bikes ad in Mountain Bike action which had a small pic and advertisement.

Bottom line is, Surly makes bikes that fit a niche with little competition, fat bikes just gained some momentum.

I still have a hard time understanding the bicycle hate. There are brands that are over priced, have annoying marketing, or representatives that are arrogant as all heck when interviewed, that doesn't mean I can't stand them or go out of my way to complain on a forum about it. But everyone is entitled to their $0.02
    Wiki has the Pugsley as introduced in 2005, but i don't remember a complete bike until much later. I know mine was built from parts because they only sold frame, fork, rim, and tire at the time.

mtbr member
    Any chance this Forum could get back on track with threads of folks riding bikes and posting pictures and ride reports and films etc... and having smiles per miles than threads that is being posted up like this?

Really this forum has gone so down hill in the last year

I come on here and see loads of threads like this and then just leave wondering WTF?

I paid 1550 UK price 6 1/2 years ago for a Surly Pugsley, it is still a great ride and i have prob spent 5 times that on booze, so it has been a cheap deal
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    im gonna get wasted tonight
    "... Say you coming and took you for a spin like a stolen, rusty cruiser, boy. Yeah, I'm talkin 'bout a HARSH ride. "

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    No, too many people cruise the forums and obsess over parts instead of ride.

I could really elaborate on this, but god forbid I nit pick at fitness level and skill level, but that is interpreted by user.

If we talk about a weight or performance of a part, then the:

- My local rep told me blah blah blah....
    - My friend has that and says it is heavy....
    - I saw one of those broken in the park....
    - Such and such magazine said this is better...
    - But that one is 63 grams lighter....
    - The geometry is horrible...
    - THEY ADDED SUPER STICKY SEALS THIS YEAR!!!
    - 14 SPEED!!!! 16 SPEED!! AHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I guess the mountain bike marketing machine is working very well, so everyone get your hard earned cash out and start spending on parts you don't need!

The wonderful thing about a ride is that talk is cheap, it all comes down to how you can ride your bike, most solid riders can pick up any bike classified for the type of riding they are doing and excel. I think the majority of people that actually spend real time in the saddle take any forum info with a grain of salt...I guess the forum points you in a general direction, and every once in a while gives you internet gold to laugh your tail off.

Remember, even if you don't ride well, you can be a star in the forum, some of them let you buy one to put next to your name too

That being said, the equipment junkies have taken over the forums, reliving the same posts over and over. How many bikes with Bluto's do you need to see? How many times do people have to say BFL's don't perform as well as Bud and Lou's in the snow?

When does it get to a point when you have so many posts you are they guy who never rides and just rants and raves on every post?

What just happened?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    Any chance this Forum could get back on track with threads of folks riding bikes and posting pictures and ride reports and films etc... and having smiles per miles than threads that is being posted up like this?

Really this forum has gone so down hill in the last year

I come on here and see loads of threads like this and then just leave wondering WTF?

I paid 1550 UK price 6 1/2 years ago for a Surly Pugsley, it is still a great ride and i have prob spent 5 times that on booze, so it has been a cheap deal
    IMO you are missing the point CK.

Sometimes, people just want to indulge in some nonsense bs; just for the pleasure of it. No different than having a few after a ride.

Back in '67, before Uncle Sam called my name, if you told me that in 5 years I would have shoulder length hair and a full beard, I would have laughed.

No tats, don't like beer, save one for a thrust quenching cool down, but used to purchase the keg for the weekender, attended too. Dropped the happy smoke stuff in '75, but still hung out with the same. Close cut hair, and no beard now.

What I am trying to say, is that perhaps at one time I was close enough to the Surly 'image' to pass, in a glance?

At the age of 67, I try to enjoy people as they come, I don't take much too seriously. The people on here are quite capable of providing great help when needed, just weed out what doesn't interest you, taking pleasure in what does.

You, yourself, are one with whom I enjoy and respect for the contributions made, which are many. And I might add, I enjoy the non bicycle topics in your blog. It would be a shame and a loss to both, if you become discouraged and departed.

While I am at it, when the UK forum started, I understood that it could mean a loss for us...far too few of you all are regulars on here anymore...you all are missed.

Maybe...more...not less, to bring things around a little?
    Just like Fat Bikes...the posters on here can go anywhere...and do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirefury12 View Post
    No, too many people cruise the forums and obsess over parts instead of ride.

I could really elaborate on this, but god forbid I nit pick at fitness level and skill level, but that is interpreted by user.

If we talk about a weight or performance of a part, then the:

- My local rep told me blah blah blah....
    - My friend has that and says it is heavy....
    - I saw one of those broken in the park....
    - Such and such magazine said this is better...
    - But that one is 63 grams lighter....
    - The geometry is horrible...
    - THEY ADDED SUPER STICKY SEALS THIS YEAR!!!
    - 14 SPEED!!!! 16 SPEED!! AHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I guess the mountain bike marketing machine is working very well, so everyone get your hard earned cash out and start spending on parts you don't need!

The wonderful thing about a ride is that talk is cheap, it all comes down to how you can ride your bike, most solid riders can pick up any bike classified for the type of riding they are doing and excel. I think the majority of people that actually spend real time in the saddle take any forum info with a grain of salt...I guess the forum points you in a general direction, and every once in a while gives you internet gold to laugh your tail off.

Remember, even if you don't ride well, you can be a star in the forum, some of them let you buy one to put next to your name too

That being said, the equipment junkies have taken over the forums, reliving the same posts over and over. How many bikes with Bluto's do you need to see? How many times do people have to say BFL's don't perform as well as Bud and Lou's in the snow?

When does it get to a point when you have so many posts you are they guy who never rides and just rants and raves on every post?

What just happened?
    I like to ride and talk about gear. I also enjoy building nice bikes. You must really hate me.

mtbr member
    The upper middle class selling a blue-collar, Pabst & flannel bike lifestyle is disingenuous more than anything.. Like a Williamsburg trust-fund hipster looking for transcendence in pretending to be poor or something. Having spent 20-odd years of my life well below the poverty line I don't have much sympathy for that act, nor do I recommend anyone being poor for that matter. It's really and truly awful.

Other than that I really enjoy the glimpses of the QBP designers and processes. They are also positive advocates of biking in general. And I like their bikes a lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    Do tell Vik, What now?
    Commuter bike. Nothing sexy for folks in the Fat Bike Forum. Not even an IGH. Totally boring!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 43st View Post
    The upper middle class selling a blue-collar, Pabst & flannel bike lifestyle is disingenuous more than anything.. Like a Williamsburg trust-fund hipster looking for transcendence in pretending to be poor or something. Having spent 20-odd years of my life well below the poverty line I don't have much sympathy for that act, nor do I recommend anyone being poor for that matter. It's really and truly awful.

Other than that I really enjoy the glimpses of the QBP designers and processes. They are also positive advocates of biking in general. And I like their bikes a lot.
    Yeah, how dare someone wear flannel and drink a can of beer. Oh and definitely hate people based only on how much money they have. If they don't have the same amount of money as you, they're a total a-hole.

mtbr member
    The upper middle class selling a blue-collar, Pabst & flannel bike lifestyle is disingenuous more than anything...

...Other than that I really enjoy the glimpses of the QBP designers and processes. They are also positive advocates of biking in general. And I like their bikes a lot.
    In my life I've seen lots of poseurs around bikes.

So long as they actually like bikes, we have something in common, I don't care about their minor personal defects if they ignore mine.

Even if the Surly lads were like that*, we have something in common, we like bikes.

If their spiel attracts some poseurs into bike ownership, is it such a bad thing? It's a far healthier habit than other social drugs, and some will become real bike enthusiasts.

The rest will soon move on, and their bikes will become bargains, barely used.

So embrace the spin.

*I don't think they are - they are definitely bike enthusiasts (I've met a few of them).
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Commuter bike. Nothing sexy for folks in the Fat Bike Forum. Not even an IGH. Totally boring!
    Obligatory Hercules script mis-read
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Straggler or ECR???

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

I didn't know when I traded my carpenters pants seven years ago for a three piece suit I had to give up my blue collar beliefs and life style. F my life for trying to fight this thing called "life" and bring in as much as I can for my family Well actually, no.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Does anyone besides Mister Peanut actually wear a three piece suit to work on a daily basis? No. Now note that Surly doesn't make a bike for him, proving that they really do only cater to carpenter pant wearing non-hipster actual blue collar wearing folk... at least using the logic in some of this thread.

Of course if you were someone who didn't care about brands and was short on cash and reasonably handy why you wouldn't be a bikesdirect is beyond me. Surly is for people who can scrape up a little cash and don't mind paying for what is probably a better product and definitely better service, and a brand name you've heard of.

F my life, I'm terrified of what strangers on the internet will think of my bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bepperb View Post
    Of course if you were someone who didn't care about brands and was short on cash and reasonably handy why you wouldn't be a bikesdirect is beyond me.
    One possible reason is that someone short on cash realizes there are other people short on cash at a LBS and by buying a Surly from them they them help out. Hopefully that person at the LBS does the same to propagate the anti-vicious cycle.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I am finding it so intellectually stimulating pondering all the nuances of class in advertising in this thread.

Just kidding, this is the worst thread ever. I'd be embarrassed to post here if I wasn't mocking you turds.

Oh and I have a surly but I didn't buy it because I wanted to fit the Surly image. I already was that image before they came up with it. Maybe they saw me one day doing a wheelie and patterned their whole advertising scheme after me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    One possible reason is that someone short on cash realizes there are other people short on cash at a LBS and by buying a Surly from them they them help out. Hopefully that person at the LBS does the same to propagate the anti-vicious cycle.
    Why, does Surly pay the likely short-on-cash taiwanese worker more than bikesdirect?

I'm half kidding. I understand the "support your LBS" angle. If you have one that isn't filled with incompetent thieves or isn't unwilling to talk to you because you're not a retired couple looking to buy hybrids at MSRP consider yourself lucky and support them. Because that isn't the case everywhere and things are probably headed in the wrong direction as I type this.

Still mine services my Gravity the same as my two Treks and my Gary Fisher, makes the same money when I buy parts. When I buy a helmet they don't even know what bike it will be used on. So really buying a bike there isn't a prerequisite for supporting your LBS. I'm not really sure where they make money but in every other industry I've worked in it was really the service and accessories.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I am the 99%, and I ride a Surly.....

Blue collar vs 3 piece, PBR vs Craft, geez louise.

The ones you gotta watch out for aren't riding bikes, way too proletariate for them, they might have to mix with low people, or tear a well manicured finger nail.

Keep your eye on the prize folks, we aren't each others "enemies". If your family makes less than a million dollars a year, you probably won't ever be one of the asshats buying the next national election, or paying for the right to force your personal opinion down everyone's throat (whether they want to hear it or not), you'll simply vote, work, and live your freakin' life like the rest of us......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast