Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 105
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    I mean, what do you suppose is going on at Surly Headquarters as they read what is being said about them here?
    They're pondering the following list of options:

    1) Uh-oh, they're on to us. Take the money and run!

    2) Re-tool marketing strategy to reflect a new, post-ironic era. Replace with ultra-sincere, family values oriented strategy.

    3) Double down on the current strategy. Forgo paint altogether. Send reps to clients' homes to pee on their carpets.

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Um, I think a lot of people are forgetting that Surly has made much of its money by selling bikes nobody else was making. I'm not sure how much image has to do with it.
    Hey Slow Danger, is that Lancelot Link "Secret Chimp"?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9hwZotllHc
    Last edited by ward; 07-04-2014 at 11:27 AM.

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,723

    I mean, what do you suppose is going on at Surly Headquarters as they read what is being said about them here?
    Probably laughing for a moment and then resuming not giving a ****.

    they know their target audience well, I'm sure they don't care about the trolls.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

  4. #54
    sluice box
    Reputation: Co-opski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfatbaldguy View Post
    If you're old enough, you just might remember the International Harvester pickups and the Travelall. Studebaker cars and trucks, too.

    Would they still be around today if they had marketed them like Surly?

    Checker car company made klunky 56-chevy-looking cars for 20 years. Until about 1982 anyone could buy one new and drive it 500,000 miles. A few people did.

    If they had marketed them like Surly?
    The Internationals are still around and if I was listening to Death Metal and riding a Ogre I would be driving this truck.
    An Analysis Of Surly's Marketing Strategy-cxt_truck_001.jpg
    If I wanted a creepy van International has one of those too, just to move the Ice Cream Truck out of school zones.

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,077
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME View Post
    ...surlys are over priced, its been posted here many times....how do they get away with it?...image ....image ties into fashion.
    To paraphrase you - Really?

    I know how they get away with it. They use a cunning strategy of aiming at folk who actually ride their bikes to places instead of around in circles, and then provide a bicycle that handles well and can take a beating. I'm happy to pay a decent price for a simple sturdy steel bike. Looked after, I know it will last 100 years like some of my other simple steel bikes have.

    As for image, maybe that's more something of concern to the trailpark pseudoracer heroes with their weight weenied anodised carbonised blinglespeeds. Most people I know with Surlys are riding them well away from the admiring crowds.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    Hey Slow Danger, is that Lancelot Link "Secret Chimp"?
    Dragon Woman is hot. She makes me go right into display mode.

  7. #57
    MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,744

    Surly sells an image; that image is centered around idiosyncratic bicycles. To compare them to premium brands like Prada & Gucci is more than a stretch, though; it's nearly a laughable troll. It's more apropos to compare Surly to one of the most iconic American brands, Harley Davidson. Like the Motor Company, Surly is selling a lifestyle and that lifestyle is explicit in their marketing: Rugged, bearded, beer-guzzling guys who DGAF. Like Harley, their bikes are not even remotely technologically advanced, (although not without innovation); they feature lower-grade, 4130 Cromo, Deore derailleurs, mechanical brakes, and other less than cutting edge components. Rather than shy away from their performance deficits, they make it the centerpiece of their marketing. "We ride bikes. We drink Pabst Blue Ribbon. We don't wear spandex. We DGAF. Racing Sucks!" Their blogging and social media are hugely entertaining, irreverent and occasionally crass; they even pretend to not like doing these things, because as a company, they DGAF.

    Also like Harley Davidson, they know the value of their image and price their products accordingly. The Pugsley is essentially an $800 bike with a fancy wheel set on it. Nashbar's virtually identical, $900, also Chinese-made "BiG Ol' Fatbike" (they've raised their prices since then, but it was originally out at that price point) is proof enough. What do you get for the $600-800 difference? You get a huge boat-load of "I Don't Give a F@¢k," which for a lot of people, is worth the premium. (you also get, if you're lucky, after-sale & warranty service from your local bikeshop, which is also quite valuable and arguably worth the additional $$, as well.)

    Surly's marketing is abso-f@¢kingly brilliant. I really, really dig it. They are a fun company to follow and the characters, at least the characters in the marketing department, seem to be having a blast. If they weren't in Minneapolis, MN, I'd kill to work for them. If it wasn't for the near ubiquity of Surly fatbikes in the midwest, I would have never have known about them and would have never bought a fatbike. (I visited my home town, Davenport, IA, 2 years ago- before then I'd never seen, nor heard of a fatbike. They're quite plentiful there and I made the mistake of riding someone's Ops Pug and it was all over for me.) My first fatty was a Pugsley that I put about 1200 miles on in 9 months of ownership; I stopped riding my 29er, in fact. Hat's off to Surly, without them, we wouldn't be here and fatbikes would be another obscure, b@stardized niche like 32ers or tandem Mtbs.

    Let's be honest though: Surly's bikes are wonderfully flawed devices that use their flaws as selling points: they're heavy, they're crude and lack refinement. It's a little absurd to get butt-hurt and defensive when someone says that the emperor has no clothes. Surly knows that, and you know what? They DGAF, why should you?
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

  8. #58
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,527
    Can we get back to talking about what is important like death metal and beer? Oh and SUrLY bikes are not overpriced they just cost more than cheaper bikes.

  9. #59
    MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,744
    Beer? Ok!
    Last edited by Gigantic; 07-06-2014 at 03:32 AM.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    ...Surly's bikes are wonderfully flawed devices that use their flaws as selling points: they're heavy, they're crude and lack refinement...
    Hmmm, perfect match with most Surly owners then...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  11. #61
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Can we get back to talking about what is important like death metal and beer? Oh and SUrLY bikes are not overpriced they just cost more than cheaper bikes.

  12. #62
    MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Hmmm, perfect match with most Surly owners then...
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    The Internationals are still around
    Thanks for asserting my point, Co-opski...niche marketing works. That isnt your father's C- or D- series truck, but its "in your face" style does appeal to a certain market segment, Im sure. Which is a larger market share: the Luddite responding to the wealthy redneck resource hog, or wealthy redneck?

    I imagine very few cyclists are among the few hundred buyers of extreme trucks, though. In fact, I'd expect these drivers to be a definite hazard to cyclists.

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfatbaldguy View Post
    Thanks for asserting my point, Co-opski...niche marketing works. That isnt your father's C- or D- series truck, but its "in your face" style does appeal to a certain market segment, Im sure. Which is a larger market share: the Luddite responding to the wealthy redneck resource hog, or wealthy redneck?

    I imagine very few cyclists are among the few hundred buyers of extreme trucks, though. In fact, I'd expect these drivers to be a definite hazard to cyclists.
    My old Unimog...
    <iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/51222326@N04/7074163673/player/4bde3b88ed" height="322" width="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

    Was never a danger to cyclists... in fact shuttled several. Not "high dollar" (or high speed) but an awesome "tool" of a truck none the less. Wish I still had it... would be an awesome fat biking truck! Would need a Surly sticker!!

  15. #65
    A Surly Maverick
    Reputation: Dr Feelygood !'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,569
    I have also analysed Surly's Marketing Strategy........


    It is Successful

    Disclaimer :- Pug owner, various Surly Fat Rims and lots of their excessive (tyre) Rubber.
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    My old Unimog...
    <iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/51222326@N04/7074163673/player/4bde3b88ed" height="322" width="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

    Would need a Surly sticker!!
    I'd agree!

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    That's marketing. Surly has done some brilliant marketing- they've managed to make straight gauge 4130 bikes desirable. 20 years ago, straight gauge 4130 was considered 1 step better than gas pipe. then the steel bike market almost died and all the fancy steels (which, honestly, were just fancier, manipulated and carefully drawn versions of 4130) went away.

    They charge a pretty high price for what would have once been considered a bottom of the barrel frame. It's a $500 hotrock frame.

    They've cultivated a "blue collar" attitude... or at least what middle class kids think blue collar means. Hang out with some blue collar folks and you'll find that what surly sells as blue collar and what blue collar actually means are two very different things. Blue collar means you don't have a lot of cash, and you take meticulous care of your gear because you bought the best you could get and you want it to last- the faux dirtball attitude that surly sells isn't blue collar. Watch blue collar guys take care of their Harleys sometime- do they let dirt sit on the chrome for more than a second? No. Do they buy unattractive colors? No. Do they ride their gear hard and put it away wet? No. They take care of it.

    What you see as a blue collar attitude is blue collar as envisioned by hipsters who's only real connection to blue collar is a sons of anarchy marathon.

    I would suggest that surly is a lot more like deBeers than Gucci- a company based on manufacturing false scarcity.

    Couldn't have said it better myself. The brilliant part of Surly's marketing is that they sell a run of the mill steel "Made in Taiwan" frame and convince some people that it is cool and unique. I like my Pugsley because it skirts the edge of being retro and innovative and I would be buying an Ice Cream Truck if it wasn't for that press fit BB.

    With the fat bike market getting more competitive, I think the people who say that Surly's are overpriced aren't saying that they are the most expensive, only that you can get any number of made in Taiwan bikes with better or similar specs for less.

    I am actually actively trying to destroy the Surly image in the following ways when riding my Pugsley:

    1. Wearing spandex and other assorted bright cycling clothes that I am to cheap to replace from the 80's and 90's.
    2. Not having tattoos
    3. Not having a cool hairdo, beard or chain wallet.
    4. Using clip less pedals.
    5. Being really nice to people.

    Surly could send me a cease and desist order with some cool new clothes to change this behavior but I doubt they can convince my wife to like gnarly beards.

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,077
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    ...only that you can get any number of made in Taiwan bikes with better or similar specs for less...
    But that's the rub. Where, and more importantly, when?

    When I bought my 1x1, I didn't know of any other similar frameset that was generally available at a better price, or I would have bought it.

    No-one was building anything like the Instigator when I bought it.

    The Pugsley was the only choice when I bought it. There is still very little alternative if you want to use hubgears.

    On behalf of all old Surly owners, I must apologise.

    You see we didn't realise we were being fashionable or trendy when we bought our bikes on the basis they were to do a job rather than the aura around them.

    Is that a fashion sin? I abase myself in horror at my ignorance in buying bikes fit for purpose.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    872
    Careful guys...
    keep gong and that carefully cultivated image will become so thin as to reveal a great contradiction. But many instinctively already knew that through mesmerized by the image.

    A successful business can't be built upon such a in your face attitude and last, their product would become a distant runner-up to our great film-flam man...TC

  20. #70
    Self Inflicted
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    65
    Remember That One Bike, That That One Guy Had? | Blog | Surly Bikes

    I think this blog post pretty much sums up why surly bikes are awesome. Because people who ride surly bikes ride bikes like these.

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    479
    does marketing also play into reverse psychology?

    I hate the sub-culture being portrayed by their blog and would never associate with 'em folks.. yet i own 2 surlys..

    i like them because their bikes are anti tour de france stuff.. and they don't have flashy decals and i associate with owners of surly's and the context in which they use their bikes.

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,813
    Just bought another Surly. Damn those ba$tards got me again!
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    872
    If we think we have a decent grasp of all things Surly, anyone up for going to the next level?

    What widgets of mass dependence does Surly have hidden away in their quiver to surprise us with next?

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    If we think we have a decent grasp of all things Surly, anyone up for going to the next level?

    What widgets of mass dependence does Surly have hidden away in their quiver to surprise us with next?
    A tire + rim combo that's 0.25" too big to fit into existing fatbike frames and a frame + fork that is compatible.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,564
    Just picked up a new Singleator yesterday. It came packed in a brown paper bag stapled closed with a label slapped on it. Beats the crap out of all these plastic blister-packed things out there.

  26. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,632
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    A tire + rim combo that's 0.25" too big to fit into existing fatbike frames and a frame + fork that is compatible.
    "like"^...

  27. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,632
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Just bought another Surly. Damn those ba$tards got me again!
    Do tell Vik, What now?

  28. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,029
    I was speaking with a Surly/Salsa dealer who wasn't all that happy with how Surly/Salsa is handling the fat bike scene. He might just be upset because they are staying tight lipped regarding release dates and updates.

    He is kind of a dick anyways...so ymmv.

  29. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    But that's the rub. Where, and more importantly, when?

    When I bought my 1x1, I didn't know of any other similar frameset that was generally available at a better price, or I would have bought it.

    No-one was building anything like the Instigator when I bought it.

    The Pugsley was the only choice when I bought it. There is still very little alternative if you want to use hubgears.

    On behalf of all old Surly owners, I must apologise.

    You see we didn't realise we were being fashionable or trendy when we bought our bikes on the basis they were to do a job rather than the aura around them.

    Is that a fashion sin? I abase myself in horror at my ignorance in buying bikes fit for purpose.


    I think this has been Surly's marketing strategy more than image. Make bikes that some people will want/can use that noone else is making.
    I have a CrossCheck because I wanted a single speed road bike with drop bars, 35mm+ tires and full fenders.
    I have a Pugsley because I wanted a fat bike.
    At the time I bought each Surly was my only choice outside of custom.
    Some of their products remain niche products that sell enough for them to maintain the model but not enough to generate serious competition. Others like the Pugsley are very successful and you get many other brands competing and Surly will lose market share.

    As for image I usually ride my bikes in spandex and hivis jerseys and I am decidedly non hip. But I do really appreciate a low maintenance, durable bike as I am lazy

  30. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post


    I think this has been Surly's marketing strategy more than image. Make bikes that some people will want/can use that noone else is making.
    I have a CrossCheck because I wanted a single speed road bike with drop bars, 35mm+ tires and full fenders.
    I have a Pugsley because I wanted a fat bike.
    At the time I bought each Surly was my only choice outside of custom.
    Some of their products remain niche products that sell enough for them to maintain the model but not enough to generate serious competition. Others like the Pugsley are very successful and you get many other brands competing and Surly will lose market share.

    As for image I usually ride my bikes in spandex and hivis jerseys and I am decidedly non hip. But I do really appreciate a low maintenance, durable bike as I am lazy
    Very well said, I think people forget that Surly had the Pugsley out YEARS before any other fat bikes existed. In fact, the price hasn't really gone up that much either (I could be wrong, I think it was $1200 when it came out, they can be had locally by me for $1550 now). I think the pugs came out in the early 2000's? The only reason I remember was the adrenaline bikes ad in Mountain Bike action which had a small pic and advertisement.

    Bottom line is, Surly makes bikes that fit a niche with little competition, fat bikes just gained some momentum.

    I still have a hard time understanding the bicycle hate. There are brands that are over priced, have annoying marketing, or representatives that are arrogant as all heck when interviewed, that doesn't mean I can't stand them or go out of my way to complain on a forum about it. But everyone is entitled to their $0.02

  31. #81
    sluice box
    Reputation: Co-opski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    If we think we have a decent grasp of all things Surly, anyone up for going to the next level?

    What widgets of mass dependence does Surly have hidden away in their quiver to surprise us with next?
    I hope a fat big dummy that can fit Bud and Lou's, with a troll/orge drop-out for adding trailers, gates belt drive compatible, and lots of braze-ons. Heck toss on a Bluto and call it good. Just to be edgy let the customershave the choice of dirt drop bars, jonesLoops or ape hangers.

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,547
    Like a $425.00 frame ? That is not exclusive pricing, Just affordable, well thought out ,versatile bikes.

  33. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirefury12 View Post
    Very well said, I think people forget that Surly had the Pugsley out YEARS before any other fat bikes existed. In fact, the price hasn't really gone up that much either (I could be wrong, I think it was $1200 when it came out, they can be had locally by me for $1550 now). I think the pugs came out in the early 2000's? The only reason I remember was the adrenaline bikes ad in Mountain Bike action which had a small pic and advertisement.

    Bottom line is, Surly makes bikes that fit a niche with little competition, fat bikes just gained some momentum.

    I still have a hard time understanding the bicycle hate. There are brands that are over priced, have annoying marketing, or representatives that are arrogant as all heck when interviewed, that doesn't mean I can't stand them or go out of my way to complain on a forum about it. But everyone is entitled to their $0.02
    Wiki has the Pugsley as introduced in 2005, but i don't remember a complete bike until much later. I know mine was built from parts because they only sold frame, fork, rim, and tire at the time.

  34. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coastkid71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,050
    Any chance this Forum could get back on track with threads of folks riding bikes and posting pictures and ride reports and films etc... and having smiles per miles than threads that is being posted up like this?

    Really this forum has gone so down hill in the last year

    I come on here and see loads of threads like this and then just leave wondering WTF?

    I paid £1550 UK price 6 1/2 years ago for a Surly Pugsley, it is still a great ride and i have prob spent 5 times that on booze, so it has been a cheap deal
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

  35. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Desert Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    368
    im gonna get wasted tonight
    "... Say you coming and took you for a spin like a stolen, rusty cruiser, boy. Yeah, I'm talkin 'bout a HARSH ride. "

  36. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    72
    No, too many people cruise the forums and obsess over parts instead of ride.

    I could really elaborate on this, but god forbid I nit pick at fitness level and skill level, but that is interpreted by user.

    If we talk about a weight or performance of a part, then the:

    - My local rep told me blah blah blah....
    - My friend has that and says it is heavy....
    - I saw one of those broken in the park....
    - Such and such magazine said this is better...
    - But that one is 63 grams lighter....
    - The geometry is horrible...
    - THEY ADDED SUPER STICKY SEALS THIS YEAR!!!
    - 14 SPEED!!!! 16 SPEED!! AHHHHH!!!!!!!!

    I guess the mountain bike marketing machine is working very well, so everyone get your hard earned cash out and start spending on parts you don't need!

    The wonderful thing about a ride is that talk is cheap, it all comes down to how you can ride your bike, most solid riders can pick up any bike classified for the type of riding they are doing and excel. I think the majority of people that actually spend real time in the saddle take any forum info with a grain of salt...I guess the forum points you in a general direction, and every once in a while gives you internet gold to laugh your tail off.

    Remember, even if you don't ride well, you can be a star in the forum, some of them let you buy one to put next to your name too

    That being said, the equipment junkies have taken over the forums, reliving the same posts over and over. How many bikes with Bluto's do you need to see? How many times do people have to say BFL's don't perform as well as Bud and Lou's in the snow?

    When does it get to a point when you have so many posts you are they guy who never rides and just rants and raves on every post?

    What just happened?

  37. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    Any chance this Forum could get back on track with threads of folks riding bikes and posting pictures and ride reports and films etc... and having smiles per miles than threads that is being posted up like this?

    Really this forum has gone so down hill in the last year

    I come on here and see loads of threads like this and then just leave wondering WTF?

    I paid £1550 UK price 6 1/2 years ago for a Surly Pugsley, it is still a great ride and i have prob spent 5 times that on booze, so it has been a cheap deal
    IMO you are missing the point CK.

    Sometimes, people just want to indulge in some nonsense bs; just for the pleasure of it. No different than having a few after a ride.

    Back in '67, before Uncle Sam called my name, if you told me that in 5 years I would have shoulder length hair and a full beard, I would have laughed.

    No tats, don't like beer, save one for a thrust quenching cool down, but used to purchase the keg for the weekender, attended too. Dropped the happy smoke stuff in '75, but still hung out with the same. Close cut hair, and no beard now.

    What I am trying to say, is that perhaps at one time I was close enough to the Surly 'image' to pass, in a glance?

    At the age of 67, I try to enjoy people as they come, I don't take much too seriously. The people on here are quite capable of providing great help when needed, just weed out what doesn't interest you, taking pleasure in what does.

    You, yourself, are one with whom I enjoy and respect for the contributions made, which are many. And I might add, I enjoy the non bicycle topics in your blog. It would be a shame and a loss to both, if you become discouraged and departed.

    While I am at it, when the UK forum started, I understood that it could mean a loss for us...far too few of you all are regulars on here anymore...you all are missed.

    Maybe...more...not less, to bring things around a little?

  38. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirefury12 View Post
    No, too many people cruise the forums and obsess over parts instead of ride.

    I could really elaborate on this, but god forbid I nit pick at fitness level and skill level, but that is interpreted by user.

    If we talk about a weight or performance of a part, then the:

    - My local rep told me blah blah blah....
    - My friend has that and says it is heavy....
    - I saw one of those broken in the park....
    - Such and such magazine said this is better...
    - But that one is 63 grams lighter....
    - The geometry is horrible...
    - THEY ADDED SUPER STICKY SEALS THIS YEAR!!!
    - 14 SPEED!!!! 16 SPEED!! AHHHHH!!!!!!!!

    I guess the mountain bike marketing machine is working very well, so everyone get your hard earned cash out and start spending on parts you don't need!

    The wonderful thing about a ride is that talk is cheap, it all comes down to how you can ride your bike, most solid riders can pick up any bike classified for the type of riding they are doing and excel. I think the majority of people that actually spend real time in the saddle take any forum info with a grain of salt...I guess the forum points you in a general direction, and every once in a while gives you internet gold to laugh your tail off.

    Remember, even if you don't ride well, you can be a star in the forum, some of them let you buy one to put next to your name too

    That being said, the equipment junkies have taken over the forums, reliving the same posts over and over. How many bikes with Bluto's do you need to see? How many times do people have to say BFL's don't perform as well as Bud and Lou's in the snow?

    When does it get to a point when you have so many posts you are they guy who never rides and just rants and raves on every post?

    What just happened?
    I like to ride and talk about gear. I also enjoy building nice bikes. You must really hate me.

  39. #89
    Loud hubs save lives!
    Reputation: 43st's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    132
    The upper middle class selling a blue-collar, Pabst & flannel bike lifestyle is disingenuous more than anything.. Like a Williamsburg trust-fund hipster looking for transcendence in pretending to be poor or something. Having spent 20-odd years of my life well below the poverty line I don't have much sympathy for that act, nor do I recommend anyone being poor for that matter. It's really and truly awful.

    Other than that I really enjoy the glimpses of the QBP designers and processes. They are also positive advocates of biking in general. And I like their bikes a lot.

  40. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,813
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    Do tell Vik, What now?
    Commuter bike. Nothing sexy for folks in the Fat Bike Forum. Not even an IGH. Totally boring!
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  41. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by 43st View Post
    The upper middle class selling a blue-collar, Pabst & flannel bike lifestyle is disingenuous more than anything.. Like a Williamsburg trust-fund hipster looking for transcendence in pretending to be poor or something. Having spent 20-odd years of my life well below the poverty line I don't have much sympathy for that act, nor do I recommend anyone being poor for that matter. It's really and truly awful.

    Other than that I really enjoy the glimpses of the QBP designers and processes. They are also positive advocates of biking in general. And I like their bikes a lot.
    Yeah, how dare someone wear flannel and drink a can of beer. Oh and definitely hate people based only on how much money they have. If they don't have the same amount of money as you, they're a total a-hole.

  42. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,077
    Quote Originally Posted by 43st View Post
    The upper middle class selling a blue-collar, Pabst & flannel bike lifestyle is disingenuous more than anything...

    ...Other than that I really enjoy the glimpses of the QBP designers and processes. They are also positive advocates of biking in general. And I like their bikes a lot.
    In my life I've seen lots of poseurs around bikes.

    So long as they actually like bikes, we have something in common, I don't care about their minor personal defects if they ignore mine.

    Even if the Surly lads were like that*, we have something in common, we like bikes.

    If their spiel attracts some poseurs into bike ownership, is it such a bad thing? It's a far healthier habit than other social drugs, and some will become real bike enthusiasts.

    The rest will soon move on, and their bikes will become bargains, barely used.

    So embrace the spin.





    *I don't think they are - they are definitely bike enthusiasts (I've met a few of them).
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  43. #93
    will rant for food
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,615
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Commuter bike. Nothing sexy for folks in the Fat Bike Forum. Not even an IGH. Totally boring!
    Obligatory Hercules script mis-read
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

  44. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Commuter bike. Nothing sexy for folks in the Fat Bike Forum. Not even an IGH. Totally boring!
    Straggler or ECR???

  45. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by 43st View Post
    The upper middle class selling a blue-collar, Pabst & flannel bike lifestyle is disingenuous more than anything.. Like a Williamsburg trust-fund hipster looking for transcendence in pretending to be poor or something. Having spent 20-odd years of my life well below the poverty line I don't have much sympathy for that act, nor do I recommend anyone being poor for that matter. It's really and truly awful.

    Other than that I really enjoy the glimpses of the QBP designers and processes. They are also positive advocates of biking in general. And I like their bikes a lot.
    I didn't know when I traded my carpenters pants seven years ago for a three piece suit I had to give up my blue collar beliefs and life style. F my life for trying to fight this thing called "life" and bring in as much as I can for my family Well actually, no.

  46. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bepperb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    195
    Does anyone besides Mister Peanut actually wear a three piece suit to work on a daily basis? No. Now note that Surly doesn't make a bike for him, proving that they really do only cater to carpenter pant wearing non-hipster actual blue collar wearing folk... at least using the logic in some of this thread.

    Of course if you were someone who didn't care about brands and was short on cash and reasonably handy why you wouldn't be a bikesdirect is beyond me. Surly is for people who can scrape up a little cash and don't mind paying for what is probably a better product and definitely better service, and a brand name you've heard of.

    F my life, I'm terrified of what strangers on the internet will think of my bike!

  47. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,813
    Quote Originally Posted by bepperb View Post
    Of course if you were someone who didn't care about brands and was short on cash and reasonably handy why you wouldn't be a bikesdirect is beyond me.
    One possible reason is that someone short on cash realizes there are other people short on cash at a LBS and by buying a Surly from them they them help out. Hopefully that person at the LBS does the same to propagate the anti-vicious cycle.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  48. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    361
    I am finding it so intellectually stimulating pondering all the nuances of class in advertising in this thread.

    Just kidding, this is the worst thread ever. I'd be embarrassed to post here if I wasn't mocking you turds.

    Oh and I have a surly but I didn't buy it because I wanted to fit the Surly image. I already was that image before they came up with it. Maybe they saw me one day doing a wheelie and patterned their whole advertising scheme after me.

  49. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bepperb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    One possible reason is that someone short on cash realizes there are other people short on cash at a LBS and by buying a Surly from them they them help out. Hopefully that person at the LBS does the same to propagate the anti-vicious cycle.
    Why, does Surly pay the likely short-on-cash taiwanese worker more than bikesdirect?

    I'm half kidding. I understand the "support your LBS" angle. If you have one that isn't filled with incompetent thieves or isn't unwilling to talk to you because you're not a retired couple looking to buy hybrids at MSRP consider yourself lucky and support them. Because that isn't the case everywhere and things are probably headed in the wrong direction as I type this.

    Still mine services my Gravity the same as my two Treks and my Gary Fisher, makes the same money when I buy parts. When I buy a helmet they don't even know what bike it will be used on. So really buying a bike there isn't a prerequisite for supporting your LBS. I'm not really sure where they make money but in every other industry I've worked in it was really the service and accessories.

  50. #100
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,932
    I am the 99%, and I ride a Surly.....

    Blue collar vs 3 piece, PBR vs Craft, geez louise.

    The ones you gotta watch out for aren't riding bikes, way too proletariate for them, they might have to mix with low people, or tear a well manicured finger nail.

    Keep your eye on the prize folks, we aren't each others "enemies". If your family makes less than a million dollars a year, you probably won't ever be one of the asshats buying the next national election, or paying for the right to force your personal opinion down everyone's throat (whether they want to hear it or not), you'll simply vote, work, and live your freakin' life like the rest of us......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Quadrant analysis
    By rupps5 in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-16-2014, 12:33 PM
  2. Analysis Paralysis, Help!
    By Ominous in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-28-2013, 12:57 PM
  3. Hub Analysis Paralysis
    By tuvok in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-26-2013, 03:46 PM
  4. XCO race powerfile analysis: what are you looking at?
    By Devincicx in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-21-2012, 01:03 PM
  5. Failure analysis
    By febikes in forum Frame Building
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-21-2012, 06:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •