Nemophilist

Ambivalent About Drilling Fatties - Thoughts?

Hi all;

My Fatbike odyssey begins with a pair of wheels that arrived yesterday.

We are looking at 1 Rolling Daryl, and 1 Graceful Fat Sheba. Yeh... mixed pair, but they were priced very attractively! I am well aware of the benefits of drilling, and it would not be hard for me to accomplish. However, I am ambivalent about doing it. Firstly, I am a big'n at 6'5"/240. While I do not tear up wheels by nature, I also put a strain on such things by default, even on a fluffy full squish 29er. Secondly, I also plan to ride this blimp year round, and I ride some fairly rough/technical terrain here in the good old Northeast.

My concerns are that this lightening regime will make my lovely porkers vulnerable to failure. These bikes were not meant to be ridden as trail bikes, so I am not at all convinced that the components available now were intended or spec'd for that use. I'm quite surprised that these wheels feel as light as they do, and while I would not mind dropping weight anywhere I can (including my waistline!), I do not want to compromise them structurally.

What say you, my learned, porcine, soon-to-be brethren?
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    I wouldn't drill them, but I am not a weight weenie either. I like tough rims that I dont have to worry about, thats why I didn't go neck romancer, I like the toughness of LM rims. (That and I'd have to wait til March) I would just ride those rims as is and see how it is. You can always drill them out a year from now. Or just save your money and get a set of Clown Shoes or something that way you have tough rims and light rims. Have fun either way bro.

mtbr member
    I have no worries about drilling rims. It might not really be worth the time for the individual, but it does save a good chunk of weight. As for the strength concerns, it probably depends on the rider and their style, but i jump, drop, and abuse my drilled Darryls pretty hard. Still true even after 500 miles of hard riding, but i do have 1-1/2 decades of bmx handling on my 170lb body.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    We are looking at 1 Rolling Daryl, and 1 Graceful Fat Sheba.
    Which one on which end?

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Which one on which end?
    Hey;

The GFS is the rear, Surly 170mm. Daryl on the front on a Salsa 135. I got the pair for $450+10SH. I thought that was a pretty good deal. I'm assuming they must have been odd lots/leftovers or whatever for that price, but I'm not that worried about them not being the same. As long as they work. If I peel the stickers, nobody will notice. The GFS seems nicer, having a far better "look" to it. Smooth and anodized. The RD looks like rough anodize, or powder coat. I note the RD is welded, and the weld rather deeply ground at that. Don't need the extra offset spoke holes. The GFS is... bonded? Friction welded?

Anyway, thanks guys. I will look forward to more experiences from the... experienced.

I am so utterly consumed with this Fatness!!!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Hey;

The GFS is the rear, Surly 170mm. Daryl on the front on a Salsa 135. I got the pair for $450+10SH. I thought that was a pretty good deal. I'm assuming they must have been odd lots/leftovers or whatever for that price, but I'm not that worried about them not being the same. As long as they work. If I peel the stickers, nobody will notice. The GFS seems nicer, having a far better "look" to it. Smooth and anodized. The RD looks like rough anodize, or powder coat. I note the RD is welded, and the weld rather deeply ground at that. Don't need the extra offset spoke holes. The GFS is... bonded? Friction welded?

Anyway, thanks guys. I will look forward to more experiences from the... experienced.

I am so utterly consumed with this Fatness!!!
    Personally, I don't think it's worth the hassle. You'll use up a heap of time that could better be spent doing just about anything else (riding?) only save a small amount of weight--probably not enough to notice. If you're able to ride it as-is, RIDE IT!

If it's raining cats and dogs or you just don't have anything else to do, do one at a time. Keep in mind you'll need to deburr the drilled holes, then fabricate a rim strip. Not a biggie, just adds a bit of time.

MC

P.S. And I think you got your hubs mixed up. Surly 170?!

addicted to chunk
    At your weight drilling may not be the best option....but if you are willing to take the time and chance, go for it
    Riding.....