MaverickMotoMedia.com

Am I crazy to want to ride my pugsley in a XC endurance race next month?

A buddy asked me to ride with him in a 12 hour endurance race next month. Currently, we have 3 riders we might add a 4th. I'm strongly considering riding my pugsley over my specialized 29er ht... anyone else race XC in summer conditions on their fat bikes? Any suggestions for setup? Tire pressures? the race is in Fredericksburg, MD, I've never ridden the course, but I'm told it's hilly...

mtbr member
    MG on here rode his Salsa Muk last year pretty successfully in XC races. Not crazy, I plan on riding a 150 miler(so figure 10mph average), which means about 15 hours on the Necro in August Nebraska heat & gravel roads.
    I dunno what he ran for tires and pressures though. You should hit him up for info(PM), he had a blast and planned on doing more this year with a Singular Puffin fatty the guy is building him a prototype. I guess it is taking a bit longer to get it done though so I haven't seen him in a race with it yet. Dunno what tires & rims he was planning on using either.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I don't think it's crazy. What race is it? Riding surface?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If your team mates are cool with you going slower, and you think it would be fun then go for it!

Personally, I'm looking forward to transitioning to a bike that weighs 1/2 of what my Pugs does.

mtbr member
    I rode mine in a 6 hour race once. Wasnt too awful but once the fatigue set in it hit hard. Go for it if you aren't worried about being a speed demon. Why not?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am in the same predicament. Been riding my muk non stop for the last two months, even put about a half doz laps on the actual race course. Just rode my el mar on the course on Sunday, definitely faster by about 6-8min but also had to be much more selective on my lines. I think I am going to bring both and since its a 13 hour race and I have 2 other teammates I am figuring on about 7 or 8 laps so maybe just do 2 or 3 on the muk, especially the laps in the dark. Having a slower more forgiving bike at nite might be nice.
    What race is in Fredericksburg?
    E. p.
    2013 Mukluk 3
    2012 El Mariachi
    2012 Specialized Carve comp (work bike)
    2005 Banshee Chaparral
    2008 Felt F4C (roadie)

mtbr member
    Strangely I've done my personal best in a 24 hour using the Pug instead of my Ti race oriented 29er which is almost exactly half the weight.

On tests laps I'm faster on the 29er on a single lap, but on the long haul the Pug is much better than I expected - maybe because it is more forgiving when exhaustion sets in and you don't have to be picky about line choices.

However I'm not one of the fast guys so this may not be relevant for you.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If your not looking to be super competitive than ride whatever is fun. The fat bike will be slower though. Especially if its rooty.

Fat & Single
    Ive rode and won a 6hr endure on mine last year, in 3 weeks time I have the Kona24 where were entering a 4 man team (I was doing 12 solo until some mates got a team together) and the fatty with Buds will be getting busted out for it.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Looking at riding my Pugsley singlespeed in the Strathpuffer lite 12 hour race in July, here in the Scottish Highlands.
    Riding solo, with no illusions to ever slowing times. I rode a bit of the course recently and I think compared to my 1X1 I will be slower but far less fatigued so am hoping that, assuming I get to the end, I will have got further on the Pugsley. Its all good fun. (for the first hour
    Running 36/18 gearing

Jamie

Fat & Single
    In all honesty racing a fatbike on singletrack takes more out of you and fatigue/tired legs sets in quicker than racing a regular bike - obviously towards the end of the endurance race where spinning them big wheels takes its toll.... but nowhere near as much fun and where theres a blur of riders on 29"HT's going round and round, you can be assured that you will not go unnoticed, a bit like the guy doing laps in the chicken suit.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I'm still waiting on details of the race so I can get an idea of what the course is like. My 29er is a 1x8 with a 32 ring up front. It doesn't climb well and the front fork is garbage. On flat, smooth trails, it's fast enough, but climbing sucks, descending over roots and rocks is sketchy and with its long chain stays, it doesn't like to turn. The puglsey by comparison climbs better, handles rocky, rooty terrain better and turns rather well. As has been mentioned, it's slow on smooth surfaces, but with more air in the tires, it spins a bit better. Our "team" range from 40-50 in age and most of us, if not all, are at lest nominally clydes. That's not to say that we're not fit, but we're not twiggy, young kids, either. I'n not sure that any of us have much racing experience and even under ideal circumstances, we'd be racing to not be last. This is more something we're doing for fun and the camaraderie of meeting other riders. Oh yeah, and beer...

Levi Early
    I am riding my muk next weekend at the sea otter doing the xc race. funny thing is that i am faster on the muk than my other two bikes....

mtbr member
    Did most of my XC racing last year on my Ti Fatback. The races I avoided and used my 29r instead were the ones that are a bit tight, fast, where a fatbike would burden others. Did one 40-miler in 104degrees F, a 48 mile in Michigan's UP. For me, going long distances on a fatbike is less fatiguing. With the 48 mile race I did in the UP, I would have pulled my fastest time ever if I hadn't broken my middle chainring. Other than that, I never gave much thought into picking lines. Whenever I approached a cluster of racers struggling through deep sand or other rough sections, I'd ride around them in the "slop". I joined up with a guy on a Pugs for quite a few miles, he did well.

For the smallest race venue I did where there was just an "Adult Category" I did fine, placed where I would have with the 29r. I used 10 psi in Husker Du ultra lights. Last year at Iceman, was the first time I've ever been able to make all of the hill climbs. Seemed whenever a group clogged the climb, I could climb at a really slow pace and never lose balance or spin out in those sandy hills.

I'm not that fast of a racer, I did use my Wildfire a few times in the previous year. I just picked a few races I felt comfortable with, as that bike has heavier Large Marge rims. The bike did pretty well in one race I did with a lot of roots and rocks. I did the advanced category, finished near the bottom. If I had done the sport category, I would have finished mid-pack. There were a lot of DNF's in that race. If your hills are big and have some loose sections where lot of people will spin out, a fatbike may be the ticket for getting up them.

I'm thinking if you don't try it, you'll be asking yourself later how you would have done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Go for it, man. Like nakedbabytoes, I'm riding Gravel Worlds on my Pugs. A guy did the Dirty Kanza on a SS fatbike last year, and I heard there was 2 or 3 fat-riders at Leadville. Lots of races are even adding a fat-bike category.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You are not crazy at all! It's priceless when you pass people on a hill. They all feel the need to comment. That just makes me power on even more. I have several 100 mile non snow races under my belt on my fatback. Unless you are a super stud, don't plan on winning. But, you will likely surprise many and finish in a decent place.

This weekend I will be riding a 13 hour xc race solo on the fatback (Bakers Dozen Race @ VA). Won't win. But, expect to have lots of fun and finish mid pack.

Do it!