mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Alternatives to Freespoke spoke length calclulator?

My shop is building up my 32H Darryl / 170 Hope R / 135 Hope F zero offset wheelset, and based on a thread here I went to Freespoke

Selecting the rim and hub was straightforward, as was selecting spoke number and cross pattern -- but when I hit 'Submit' the site would attempt a calculation and then no spoke length numbers would be generated. Clearing the fields and starting over didnt' help. Doing it in another browser (IE) didn't help either.

I'll hunt around for posted spoke lengths on this forum for this rim/hub combo, but I'd like to know if someone else is able to get the calculator to work for this combo, or has suggestions for another calculator. Incidentally, from reading the Darryl Rim info page on Freespoke, it's not clear to me if they are assuming alternating hole (probably Yes right?).
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Is your shop new? DT Swiss has a good calculator found here. United Bicycle Institute has one here. Don't forget the subtraction.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Nevermind, I played around more w/ Freespoke and realized the best way is to go into the Full Calculator, select the hub and spoke (after which the software keeps taking you back to the simple calculator), then go back to Full Calculator and submit.

Using 12.5 spoke bed offset, it calculated 262.2 mm and 261.9 mm for the rear wheel which sounds about right to me.

This shop builds great wheels but is new to fatbike wheelbuilding and asked for my help. Since it's ski season, they are very short staffed in terms of bike guys/time.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

Another Retro Grouch
    using the full freespoke calculator with their values for rim and hubs, I get:

left rear: 262.2 right rear: 261.9
    left front: 261.1 right front:261.9

I'd use 263 for the rear spokes and right front, 262 for the left front.

mtbr member
    Whenever I build at the shop I work at I use the manual DT Swiss spoke calculator and cross reference it with the QBP calculator. I have found that for some reason, our DT Swiss manual calculator always leaves spokes 2mm longer than necessary. I think the rim sizing nipples are wonky and mess up the measurements.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood