mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Alex Blizzerk SL90 rims

Who’s gotten a chance to try these new rims? They’re intriguing to me for a few reasons:

-we need more tubeless-ready options in widths other than 80mm (without going carbon)

-claimed weight is 80 grams lighter than the ubiquitous Mulefut80, despite being wider, and rotational mass “counts double”

How’s the tubeless interface on these? Is the claimed weight of 750g accurate?

aka bOb
    I touched one once does that count I9 are or where using them for some of their in house builds and also Advocates where coming with them as well. Personally from an armchair perspective I always thought they were a good viable option and would like to hear from actual users as well.

The owner of Advocate cycles told me they are really closely related to the Other Brother Darryl but can't confirm if that is really the case but they are both made by the same company, I guess.

mtbr member
    I bought and built a pair over Christmas, for the GF. Laced up well with bhs hubs and sapim race spokes iirc. Quality seems nice enough.

I used a tubeless method with no tape. Two tight wraps of saran wrap, a custom polyethylene rim strip(melted with a seam sealer), followed by two more saran wraps. Mounted tyre, and inflated with a handheld electric pump. Ran up to 15 psi, and both beads sealed with a loud ping(probably by 12psi; just making sure).

I'm guessing a tape tubeless setup would require a tube to set one bead, or foam in the valley, as is common with holed wheel setup.

Van Helgas seem pretty tight on the bead, but we're just getting around to cassette and rotors, so it hasn't been tested yet. I would buy again, but I've never used mules for comparison. Also, I never weigh bike parts.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    The Alex Blizzerk 90 came on my radar fairly recently, as i was looking for a wide tubeless non carbon wheel for winter. It looks promising.

I may take the leap and have one built up and *pray* it fits the back of my Wednesday...

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Alex Rims are absolutely top notch. Second biggest bicycle rim manufacturer in the world, they also make automotive rims, including rims for several Formula One teams.
    Had the honor of visiting the factory in Tainan in October, care of Dr. Chen himself.

I used the Blizzerk 90 on the Diamant Blck Diamond X1 and Nakamura F50 with nothing but great feedback from customers, I hear (I'm on another project now).

The 90SL prototype from a few years back was down to 680g or so, I seem to remember.

Plus: The Surly rims have been manufactured by Alex Rims for a number of years.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    Kindernay on BikeRumor: https://goo.gl/iQtWxu

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Looks like there is a difference between the 90 and the SL90. 90 is pinned and the SL90 is welded. The profile appears to be slightly different as well. Interested in these myself!

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    Looks like there is a difference between the 90 and the SL90. 90 is pinned and the SL90 is welded. The profile appears to be slightly different as well. Interested in these myself!
    the Blizzerk SL90 is single wall & welded

and the Blizzerk 90 is double wall & pinned

since i have a tendency of smashing rims, I will go for the pinned double wall 90...

mtbr member
    I like the double spoke holes. Still riding offset pugs and it's not easy to find rims that will work. Not sure I can squeeze a 90 in the back even with my 1X setup.

mtbr member
    I didn't even realize there were different versions, but I used the double wall version for my build. 10/10 Would shralp again.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    I like the double spoke holes. Still riding offset pugs and it's not easy to find rims that will work. Not sure I can squeeze a 90 in the back even with my 1X setup.
    BITD, I had a Choppers US 100 on the back of my Pug with an Endo. Yeah, all we had, and it worked.

So a 90 with a 4" should be fine, unless it's exceptionally more shoulder knobby which everything is compared to an Endomorph, so, hmmm....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    BITD, I had a Choppers US 100 on the back of my Pug with an Endo. Yeah, all we had, and it worked.

So a 90 with a 4" should be fine, unless it's exceptionally more shoulder knobby which everything is compared to an Endomorph, so, hmmm....
    Might be worth the try, I suppose. The thing is, I really liked the Jackalope I had on my Farley for the brief time I had that. I know that can be laced offset for the Pugs and MikeSee's noted that the 27.5 version of that rim fits the Pugs nicely... so that's probably more the way I lean right now... though I'm really leaning more towards a complete new bike at this point rather than building up a pair of wheel that would end up being worth more than the rest of the bike in total... and I've got the seat stay crack thing going on...

That said, choices are always good and good on Alex for producing a rim that can be laced offset.

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Looks like they come on Fatback bikes now

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh View Post
    Looks like they come on Fatback bikes now
    Yup, at the time in January I ordered my Rhino they said it came with Mulefuts, but when I got it it had the Blizzerks.

I have no complaints, I'm a really heavy dude with no finesse and haven't had any issues, but I've only had them on singletrack a couple of times.

My LBS converted me to tubeless and reports that the Jumbo Jim Liteskin 4.8s are so hard to mount that if I do get a flat while riding I should just walk it out of the woods instead of trying to put a tube in....so there's that.

Nutrailer
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    -claimed weight is 80 grams lighter than the ubiquitous Mulefut80, despite being wider, and rotational mass “counts double”

How’s the tubeless interface on these? Is the claimed weight of 750g accurate?
    For Info;

Comparing wheelset weights from the manufacturers websites;

Alexrims 90mm Cherokee Fatbike wheelset 2650 gms

Sunringle Mulefut 80mm wheelset 2220 gms

DT Swiss 2250 76mm wheelset 2228 gms

Merlin Cycles advertise their Alexrims fat wheelset @ 2781 gms

YMMV
    What a perfect waste of time