mtbr member

Albums for fatbiking: The Cramps "Psychedelic Jungle"

Sure, tires and gear are important and all that. But when you are stuck in a total slog of a ride, those tires aren't what's going to keep you going. Your choice of music is what's gonna get you through.

The Cramps "Psychedelic Jungle" may be the perfect album for fatbiking. When I think fatbikes, I think garage built monsters, lo-fi frankensteins in a hi-fidelity world of dialed-in full suspension thoroughbreds. And the Cramps are lo-fi. No, scratch that. On Psychadelic Jungle, they're no-fi. Lux interior sounds like zombie Elvis. Poison Ivy and Kid Congo's guitars howl, screech and fight in a beautiful mess of reverb and feedback. The music is primitive and raw.

On the last big climb of the day, the slow, sludgy crawl of "Can't find my mind" is just what you need to make it over the top. On sketchy descents through too-narrow trails and handlebar-width trees, the buzz and howl of "Beautiful Gardens" will push you faster.

The album is weird, funny, funny and creepy, sometimes all in the same song. Their cover of "the crusher" is flat-out insane.

Good music makes a good ride better, and great music will make a bad ride suck a lot less.

If you like garage punk psychobilly, give it a try. And if you don't, what the hell are you doing on a fatbike?

Desert RAT
    Punk for life!!!

mtbr member
    Agreed the cramps rock like f_k. But situations sometimes warrant different approaches. Yesterday I was out in the snow fall, riding across frozen lakes I threw on The Oscar Peterson trio - "A portrait of Frank Sinatra". It was an perfect accompaniment to a beautiful winter ride.

mtbr member
    That does sound pretty awesome...

I've been on rides where bluegrass was definitely the way to go, too- mid spring mud goes really well with bluegrass. Or Junior Brown.

mtbr member
    Whoa, what a great clip! Junior Brown is the real deal. I forgot how much I like him. Thanks man for the reminder.

These days I am gladly paying $10 a month for Spotify so I when fell like dialing something up I just do wherever I am. In fact thanks to you I just threw together a Junior Brown playlist for my next ride!