Loser

About to jump, some questions - Fatboy and On One Fatty

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a fat bike. I've read a LOT in this forum and I really appreciate everyone who takes the time to post and respond.

I live in NE US where our trails are narrow, rooty and rocky, with plenty of short steep ups and some longish climbs as well. I plan on using this bike as a back up bike to my Niner RIP9 and as a snow bike when conditions allow - based on past winters this is four to six ride days.

I've kind of narrowed my focus to two bikes - the On One Fatty and the Specialized Fatboy Comp. I will likely not be able to test ride either bike. I've ridden a Pugsley before for a very short, but fun ride. I suppose the Mukluk and Pugs are sort of in play as well, but I need to narrow this down somehow!

Fatboy Comp concerns:
    I guess I have some concerns on buying V1 of anything and, while this is a rigid bike with less to go wrong, I have paid to be a product test dummy before and it doesn't feel good.

Perhaps its just me, but I would MUCH rather have BB7's on a bike than crappy hydros, I think the spec'ed brakes are crap!

I tend to be pretty impatient, I don't mind waiting until December, but if that stretched to January or February, I'd be pretty upset.

On One Fatty:
    I like the look of this bike better than the Fatboy (that's a very minor consideration).

I really think having a single up front will be a problem, I don't use my granny often, but I do use it.

You can only use a four inch tire, I'm not sure this is an issue or not. I suspect not, but buyer's remorse and all that stuff.

Same concern with the suspect brakes (will On One swap brakes?).

I guess I am not sure what questions to ask, but any comments on the above appreciated.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    The On One Fatty is a v1 bike as well. I think at this point any hydro brake will be tons better than bb7. I used to ride with bb7 back in the day but their day is over I think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I live in NE US where our trails are narrow, rooty and rocky, with plenty of short steep ups and some longish climbs as well. I plan on using this bike as a back up bike to my Niner RIP9 and as a snow bike when conditions allow - based on past winters this is four to six ride days.

I've kind of narrowed my focus to two bikes - the On One Fatty and the Specialized Fatboy Comp. I will likely not be able to test ride either bike. I've ridden a Pugsley before for a very short, but fun ride. I suppose the Mukluk and Pugs are sort of in play as well, but I need to narrow this down somehow!
    For the price and what you are going to use it for I'd go for the On One - it's available now, it's been on the trails for a while so it's not going to offer any surprises and it's priced well.

I'd rather have BB7's than crappy hydros as well, but I would just see what the OEM brakes are like before you worry too much about it.

I'm a single ring guy on most of my MTBs so that doesn't phase me. You can shift the whole gear range down by swapping in a smaller ring. I'm not up to speed on all the crank/ring specs so just verify that SRAM crank will take a smaller ring that a 32T.

My fatbike has the same amount of tire clearance and I haven't been motivated to upgrade.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by yxan View Post
    The On One Fatty is a v1 bike as well.
    Yes, its a V1, but its been out long enough that any issues have surfaced by now, I presume.

..and thanks for the comments, its appreciated.

mtbr member
    Specialized does a ton of R&D. Most likely more than most companies. I wouldn't fear buying a new model. They also stand behind their product better than most companies I have ever dealt with. I think for the money it is going to be tough to beat. That is if you can get one. I personally would never go back to BB7's after using hydro's but then again we have some pretty steep hills in Colorado.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Specialized bikes have their issues. Like any major brand I would expect them to sort out problems, but that might not help the OP if he gets a bike in Dec and has to wait for something to get sorted out through a warranty/recall process while the snow melts.

I'd let other people do the beta testing. We'll only know what's what when the dust settles after this winter and the new Special Ed, Trek, Kona, etc.. fatbikes have had a chance to show what they are like.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Loser
    I don't mean to bash hydros, certainly I will take a good set over BB7s any day, but I've had some really bad ones (e.g. early model XTs) that were terrible. I would surely give whatever came a chance, but I hate to think I have to swap something right away on a new bike.

Good point on Specialized, I've had several of their bikes, had some issues and they certainly have stood behind the product.

John

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    [ Like any major brand I would expect them to sort out problems, but that might not help the OP if he gets a bike in Dec and has to wait for something to get sorted out through a warranty/recall process while the snow melts.
    Exactly...

mtbr member
    Have you considered the rolling chassis bundle (frame, fork, wheels, tubes and tires) from the UK One On website and then building it up? I did that and used a Problem Solvers adapter to run a front derailleur.

mtbr member
    4"=a freaking huge tire. You'll be fine with a 4" tire.

Figure it's your first fatbike and you aren't going to get a chance to test ride either of them. Either pick the one that's gonna be easiest to re-sell when you decide you hate fatbikes (could happen). That'd be the specialized. OR, pick the cheap one and upgrade. YOu can buy a lot of upgrades for the price difference between the specialized and the fatty.

There. Clear as mud.

Basically, you're going to have a hard time making a bad choice. It's not like there are any really crappy fatbikes yet.

If you want it now, get the fatty. If yer willing to wait, get the spec.

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by dobre shunka View Post
    Have you considered the rolling chassis bundle (frame, fork, wheels, tubes and tires) from the UK One On website and then building it up? I did that and used a Problem Solvers adapter to run a front derailleur.
    I did think about that for a minute. I love putting bikes together, I guess I'll have to do some pricing to see if it makes sense. I am probably over-thinking the fat bike thing, the only thing different with that kit would be the crank.

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    If you want it now, get the fatty. If yer willing to wait, get the spec.
    Sage advice.

mtbr member
    The beauty is companies like "The Big Horrible S" usually set bikes aside just in case of a warranty issue. A friend of mine recieved a S-Works Enduro free of charge because they didn't have his standard Enduro in stock. Try that with smaller companies. I personally wouldn't worry about it. If you have a legitimate issue they WILL resolve it.
    The LPG

Loser
    Ok, I did a quick shopping cart at JensonUSA it looks like the parts to build up one of those rolling chassis comes to around $700, which puts it about the same price as the whole bike. I suppose if I really want a 2x set up, I can get it that way. I was thinking it would save a bit more than that. I'll have to think about this a bit, I'm going to call the LBS tomorrow about the Fatboy too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You could have an On-One by the end of the week if you ordered today. The Spec. may be in dealers by December....or January...
    BB7's work fabulously if you take the extra 5 minutes to set them up correctly, and as Buck said, 4" tires are more than enough unless you are pretty heavy and frequently ride in conditions where maximum float is needed (deep snow). You can put a BFL on the front of the Fatty with no problem. You also mentioned the Mukluk was in play as well, but you don't seem too interested in it, but it will take every fat bike tire from 3.7-4.8 as well as 29+ tires, so that's something to consider.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Good luck getting one from the big S. Availability is going to be a problem. As is everything snow-bike related.
    Go for what you can source now. 4" tires are not a handicap.
    Don't discount the Alaskan bikes. I have two pugs and two 907. Each rides simular. My 907 has big fat meats,BFL front, Nate rear ; Pugs has Larry rear and HD front.
    Both go better than not having "my bike in December" when it counts.
    Having said all that^...you can't go wrong with any of them.

Loser
    A friend offered to let me try his pugs for a ride or two, so I'm going to get that bike today and do a proper test ride. The response from you guys is great, really appreciated.

I think I'll stop by the LBS today, there's a shop nearby that carries Salsa and Surly, and another that carries Specialized. Honestly I don't expect much in the way of information from them, kind of sad that you can't go to a bike shop anymore and talk to experts.

To keep my end of the bargain up, I'll keep updating this thread with progress, or lack thereof.

Loser
    Decision time. I got an email from Bikesdirect, I have to pay within 24 hours or lose my spot. I seriously didn't think there would be anything from them for a long time, it wasn't even in consideration. I think I might jump on it, $900, hard to at least not think hard about this one. The parts spec is not so great, but for $300 I could make it pretty dang good and still be in for less money than the Fatty.

Loser
    A friend has a Pugsley and let me take it for the week. Really nice of him. I ordered the Motobecane this morning, so I hoped this was going to be a good ride and no create any cognitive dissonance. This was my first real ride on a fat bike, my comments on the ride:

The ride was at the local trail system that I helped make and ride often, so I know every turn, hill, rock etc. Its a good place for me to test bikes, I know what my FS and HT will do here, so its easy to compare how this bike performed.

It was a really fun ride. Was it as much fun as my FS? probably not, but it was way more fun than my HT, I can't wait for mine to get here.

The bike is really heavy, pulling it out of the car was a little frightening, I was thinking this was going to ride like a pigsley, not a pugsley. Surprisingly that was not the case, once you get those tires spinning, it really doesn't ride like a heavy bike. I guess since most of the weight is in the wheels, once you get those spun up you have momentum on your side.

Rock crawling is very cool, maximum traction and enough cushion to keep it from being painful. Corners were very fun, its really surprising how responsive the bike is, you would think with that rotating mass it wouldn't respond well to input, not the case, it leaned into corners very nicely. I didn't quite trust the tires enough, but that will come with time.

When you got the thing really moving the gyro effect of all that mass spinning was very noticeable. I can't really describe it, but when you are upright and cranking along at speed you can feel the gyro, kind of a weird feeling. As I said it turns really well, but at higher speeds the gyro is really noticeable.

On technical stuff it was a lot of fun, though its slow fun. If you charge into a rock garden you are quickly reminded that you're on a rigid bike (its easy to forget that).

All in all, a really excellent ride that confirmed my decision to buy the bike.

mtbr member
    Once your ride a fat, you'll never go back..LOL. Pics when you get your bike.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    I'm with you John...

Just ordered up the Fatty rolling chassis bundle, and found a good deal on an X.0 DH crank. I've got everything else kicking around the parts bin to build it all up. Nice!

The TransAM "rolling chassis" hanging int he garage, and a bunch of other spare/old/used stuff should hopefully offset some of the cost!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Just ordered up the Fatty rolling chassis bundle, and found a good deal on an X.0 DH crank.
    Um, isn't that an 83mm BB crank?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Doh! I was thinking 83mm shell/100mm spindle when it's a 100mm shell...

Oops. Hopefully they'll let me cancel that one. Ahem. Brainfart.

Edit: Sweet! Cancelation/refund already taken care of.

X.9 fat crank on the way!
    Last edited by scrublover; 10-10-2013 at 03:55 AM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Elitest thrill junkie
    Nice you were able to save that one! Luckily there are a few more crank options this/next year.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.